shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Journey for Tycoon Cut Diamond

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lissyflo I think I remember the thread/project you’re talking about; I’ll have to try hunting it down.

@Rfisher Thank you; I played with putting so many different side-stone cuts beside my diamond, and none of them look quite right except the FCs, unlessI can manage to find some tycoon traps. There were a couple pairs listed on LT awhile back by Paramexports but they looked like they may be too big.

The common ‘theme’ I notice is that the long end of traps (when paired with a step cut) is just a smidge shorter than the right/left edges (not including the clipped corners) of the center stone. So I’m thinking my traps’ long edge would be no more than 4.5mm; the ones Param had were all at least 5mm.

Thank you @msop04 ... I do like the look of the three stones; however, my center diamond is about half the size of BrightIce’s (1.77 ct measuring 7.12 x 6.87 x 4.23 mm), making my side stones much smaller than hers. And to @redwood66 ‘s point, with a size 7 finger, I think I’d like the ‘little extra’ on each side considering how small my traps would realistically be, with my center.

@redwood66 I haven’t gotten that far yet with thinking about polish/finish/engraving/etc. But I see what you’re saying about the taper meeting up w/the elongated bags. I just touched up the traps a bit to taper down. I don’t want it overly bulky-feeling, but also not too delicate either.

623F8014-8553-40B3-85F0-1E97A42BBD35.jpeg

I realize looking at all the diamonds like they appear above looks a little odd; they won’t all be flat like that across my finger, as the traps would angle down on each side and the elongated FCs would as well with my finger. From the north/south view, I imagine it would likely resemble BrightIce’s ring (below) from the side, but with some tweaking for a different gallery, different height due to the shallower depth of my diamond, etc.
ABF1A473-AF74-46D1-A198-1C1785EF8C04.jpeg

** Pics of BrightIce’s ring are from LAD’s website. I should have noted proper reference/credit.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhh, I love your diamond! Such a great find!

This is right up my alley because you probably know I have an antique asscher set by CVB. I LOVE brightice's former ring sooo much! But that stone is a different shape and size so I am not sure how that design would translate to yours. I do think a bezel on the girdle of your stone is good if it has a very thin girdle. My tendency, though, is to think the sides on that Greta setting will give your center stone more substance and look better than side traps and then a fc baguette, or whatever. I do love the french cuts on mine, and I do think they'd look good with your stone. Although, I rely very much on Caysie's aesthetics, because she has always been right when I have been uncertain about various details. My stone is 8.4mm x 7.75mm, ring size 5.5, just for reference.

AVRandAntiqueAsscher.jpg

IMG_0167.JPG

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh @diamondseeker2006 how in the world did I forget that you had that gorgeous antique asscher ring?! :shifty: That would be a super-helpful reference given the shape is closer to mine (more squared vs elongated emerald) and you have the traps. I will need to go back and find your thread with more pics! :appl:

My only worry with the Greta sides was if they compete too much w/the center. I will post the mock-up I did of that in a bit. ;)2

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think CVB has also done a bezel version of diamondseeker's ring -- or at least, with echo's of DS's ring -- if it helps visualize the combo.

upload_2019-7-13_22-3-54.png

upload_2019-7-13_22-5-27.png

upload_2019-7-13_22-6-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-13_22-3-19.png
    upload_2019-7-13_22-3-19.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 91

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dreamer_dachsie That ring is beautiful as well, but when I looked at a vertical FC layout by my center, I just wasn’t as drawn to it as I am the other options.

Below is what I’d drawn with a side-stone orientation similar to the "Greta" but with cuffs.

155E3954-971E-4D4E-8185-41C953782AF8.jpeg

Here is another ring (with my diamond in place of the center and FC traps laid over what they had) that I’d saved in my inspiration folder that I liked as well (in terms of the stones layout). It probably gives somewhat of a better visual of what the traps option might look like, albeit these appear slightly bigger than I’m thinking:
1172B965-A62B-4DD0-A5E4-A62B493E01C7.jpeg

And here it is against what the Greta - roughly - might look like with my diamond bezeled:
2799F1B4-337F-4598-8AC0-1196FB8434E1.jpeg

I feel like the option with traps looks less ‘busy’, more cohesive, and less ‘angular’, all while still giving me the finger coverage I want.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see Yoram's recent Instagram post?

Bezel set main stone + French cuts in a prong-set shank... :love:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz3CdkxFRQ-/

Thank you for posting that. Yoram’s comments address a question I’d had specifically around FCs in bezel settings, if they would display as much ‘life’, or if they’d be better off in a more open setting somehow. I’m just now sure how - given some of them are so darn tiny - you can secure them safely without so much prong tip covering the edges. But, he seems to have done it with that setting! It’s beautiful! :love:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just an FYI you will likely need to get your frenchies custom cut and it will take a long time! So plan for that.

I actually like the greta layout better w your stone, its more delicate and keeps focus on the center stone, but both looks are classic and beautiful to be sure.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The process continues ... here are several rings (some of which belong to a few PSers) which I’ve been visually ‘trying on’ to see how they may look. I’ve drawn a red box around those that most draw my eye/are my favorite looks so far (albeit with some changes for scale, style, etc.), but I continue to hunt down various rings that catch my eye.

The Greta (middle of the far right column) is still in the running as well, but it feels like a different ‘flavor/layout’ than the others that draw my eye a bit more and feel more ‘my style’. I feel like I’m getting closer to narrowing down what I really want, staying true to what I also know I prefer in terms of a simple/clean/modern-ish aesthetic.
75F99E58-2485-4523-8028-B09AB8C1AFEA.jpeg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just an FYI you will likely need to get your frenchies custom cut and it will take a long time! So plan for that.

I actually like the greta layout better w your stone, its more delicate and keeps focus on the center stone, but both looks are classic and beautiful to be sure.

Thank you. I do like the Greta as well; I think it will just come down to being able to have those elongated frenchies curve downward more on my finger than they appear in the picture. I don’t want a “flat-across-the-finger” look, if that makes sense. And yes, I am aware that custom cut FCs will take time, and that’s okay. The hardest part is figuring out first exactly which overall style/combo I want to go with, and being 100% sure in that decision.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The process continues ... here are several rings (some of which belong to a few PSers) which I’ve been visually ‘trying on’ to see how they may look. I’ve drawn a red box around those that most draw my eye/are my favorite looks so far (albeit with some changes for scale, style, etc.), but I continue to hunt down various rings that catch my eye.

The Greta (middle of the far right column) is still in the running as well, but it feels like a different ‘flavor/layout’ than the others that draw my eye a bit more and feel more ‘my style’. I feel like I’m getting closer to narrowing down what I really want, staying true to what I also know I prefer in terms of a simple/clean/modern-ish aesthetic.
I like the top left - I think it flows better as a design, and you could work up some custom engraving that was personal to you :)

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the top left - I think it flows better as a design, and you could work up some custom engraving that was personal to you :)

I like it a lot as well, but feel - rather than go with engraving - a shank like the bottom middle ring might be more ‘my speed’ and versatile in case I want to mix things up band-wise. One of my WB’s is engraved and the other is a diamond eternity.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

If your aethetic is simple/clean/modern-ish, then I think bottom middle is the winner, followed by top middle, which only feels a little more ornate bc of the size of the sides.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been so ‘all over the place’ on how I want to set this diamond. I’ve spent time thinking about it, taken a ‘break’ from thinking about it, mocking up setting pics/ideas with it to see how they’d look, antique looks to modern/clean designs, etc. And I just haven’t been able to ‘land’ on something I love just yet enough to pull the trigger.

Then, I was in my loose stone stash, and forgot I had these two pretty, peachy-pink cushion spinels that I bought from another PSer. They’re 4.4mm, and the diamond is 7.1 x 6.9 mm. The top pic best shows the proportions as it was hard to line them up face-up; and, the bottom picture is probably the closest representation of color that I see in person to the spinels (the diamond is an F-color). In person, the trio looks very lively, feminine & pretty paired together.

Thoughts? :think:

5C1E2A46-3557-42BA-A33B-523F59A15231.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think those are beautiful together especially if you're wanting to add a little color to your jewelry wardrobe. I really like the color of the spinels.

What color gold would you do?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them together - it would indeed look very feminine :)

I am conflicted, though - I sort of think such an awesome and rare cut should stand on its own, as it could easily hold its own in whatever setting you choose!

But you are the one wearing it and if you have been struggling until this idea has hit you, I think grabbing it and running with it is an excellent idea :D lol

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been so ‘all over the place’ on how I want to set this diamond. I’ve spent time thinking about it, taken a ‘break’ from thinking about it, mocking up setting pics/ideas with it to see how they’d look, antique looks to modern/clean designs, etc. And I just haven’t been able to ‘land’ on something I love just yet enough to pull the trigger.

Then, I was in my loose stone stash, and forgot I had these two pretty, peachy-pink cushion spinels that I bought from another PSer. They’re 4.4mm, and the diamond is 7.1 x 6.9 mm. The top pic best shows the proportions as it was hard to line them up face-up; and, the bottom picture is probably the closest representation of color that I see in person to the spinels (the diamond is an F-color). In person, the trio looks very lively, feminine & pretty paired together.

Thoughts? :think:

5C1E2A46-3557-42BA-A33B-523F59A15231.jpeg

I freaking LOVE this!! ...really makes the center POP!!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they make a beautiful combination. What metal are you considering?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for weighing in @tyty333 @OoohShiny @msop04 & @Bonfire I really need to get in & go through my stone stash more in-depth and do a serious clean-out of things I don’t wear/won’t set because not only did I forget I had these, but I also have a small old cushion diamond pair of studs that I bought and don’t wear, and was about to buy a cushion pair to set with my Burmese spinel. The addiction is for real! :shifty:

@OoohShiny I agree that the stone certainly can/could stand on its own, and if I get to the point where I cannot decide on anything else, I already know what setting I plan to go with to do just that. My only ‘concern’ with having it be a ‘solo act’ is that I will be converting my new ACA to a three stone at some point soon, and I’m worried that I will miss the finger coverage if I set the Tycoon as a soli, and subsequently may not wear it as much. So I‘m thinking that the Tycoon will also get more wear as both an ER as well as a RHR if set with the CS sides. In my head, that all makes sense, anyway. :lol:

@tyty333 & @Bonfire Preliminary thinking about metal color is platinum, and possibly a two-tone setting - platinum and either RG or YG. I almost hate posting these pics because they make the spinels look darker than they really are (the color in the earlier-post is more accurate).

I set a RG & YG ring by each spinel, an a platinum one behind the diamond to see how they look. I almost feel like RG makes the spinel appear more purple-ish (in person), whereas I actually like it as-is, looking more ‘peachy-pink’. RG on the left; YG on the right. I wish I’d have thought to just look at all three by platinum; will do tomorrow.

F2B47939-A107-4DCC-AEF7-C78ED563F0CA.jpeg

D4140B6F-0872-4879-8832-142AD727EDBA.jpeg

E16160B1-A837-440E-BBED-2ACA63450922.jpeg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d do plat or wg. I wouldn’t want metal color to transfer onto your incredible F Tycoon cut center or the delicate color of the spinels, but that’s just me, you do you ;)2

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the look of it with those spinels! But of course I am a sucker for 1. colored stones and 2. three-stone rings, so this is like tailor-made to appeal to me. I would do plat or yellow gold for the ring... I agree rose makes the spinel look more purplish. I think yellow can bring out a nice pink, and white metal of course is neutral.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously... In love. I'd do all plat or a Platinum ring with a wafer thin plat bezel around the diamond and wafer thin rg bezels around the spinels . After seeing your mock up with the rg, I find that combo especially lovely

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts & feedback ... I so wish you could see them all in person - together - and the light play, color, and overall combo ... it’s really so much prettier in person! :love:

I am still considering possibly using a pair of cushion diamond sides. This is a situation where I feel like I can’t go wrong either way ... and I just need to decide. So here are both options laid out proportionately, and with tab corner prongs on the Tycoon, as that’s what I am leaning toward. The side diamonds are just a smidge smaller than the spinels, and I lightened up the color of the spinels in this pic so it’d be closer to what I see IRL, but it messed up the crispness of the faceting a bit, so don’t go by that here so much as the color & proportions.

Thoughts?
9A569494-9A73-4D7D-9A0D-FA984E4EA938.jpeg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're right that you can't go wrong with either of those. Do you have other colored stone rings? I can't recall. It may be fun to have something different than all-diamonds, though, is what I'm saying. Just like now that I have a stable of CS rings, I think it would be fun to have an all-diamond ring, which I suppose is backwards from how most people do it, lol.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@distracts I really think the spinels are going to ‘win out’ here. The crown heights of the diamonds are a bit too far off for my tolerance without bugging me when viewing from the side, though they are beautiful chunky little buggers! But every time I pull the tycoon-spinel trio out to take a peek, my heart skips a few beats and I just adore them together. They are just the perfect tone of peachy-pink to be ‘romantic-feminine’ without looking costume-y, if that makes sense.

I greatly appreciate all the feedback provided by everyone on this project. It’s only taken me 10 months, but I think I finally have my plan for setting this diamond, and can’t wait to see it come to fruition! :appl:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not particularly crazy about the diamond cushions with your Tycoon. The spinels however look gorgeous in a very complimentary way, IMO

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it with the spinels but I'm also a sucker for traps.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results