shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting a tiny paraiba: stacking or halo? Pics included!

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
I think heat treatment in tourmalines IN GENERAL is not possible to determine with certainty, so I take "untreated tourmaline" with a grain of salt and would not pay a premium for a claim that no lab would be able to verify with the current science.

It is a beautiful stone.

Yes it is =)2

Just to clarify, I didn't pay extra for it to be unheated. I purchased as close to the source as I could, from a vendor I trust, who is as picky as I am. I'm in love with the stone. And maaaybe that's why I'm having such a hard time deciding on a setting.

I have other loose stones for which the setting is already decided in my head because it just seems obvious. But with this baby, I want to get it right. Has that ever happened to anyone else?

I love the cleanness of the bottom cluster design, but the "flow" of the wave design. I'm thinking about asking the designer for a hybrid...

reirei

Shiny_Rock
So! I had a virtual appointment with a designer.
Here are two custom design options she made for me:

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 4.57.24 PM.jpeg

Both protective and great for daily wear. Decisions, decisions...

The bottom one reminds me a little bit of @TheGarnetGirl 's ring.
A friend says the top one looks both like waves AND tentacles :lol: so he loves that one.

Which one would you guys vote for?

I like the second one! But that’s just me personally.

I’m not a fan of the first one because something about the twist feels incomplete to me without a second stone. Also, just generally I don’t like semi bezels in general; I think it would just look nicer in a full bezel if you’re going to do that!

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
I like the second one! But that’s just me personally.

I’m not a fan of the first one because something about the twist feels incomplete to me without a second stone. Also, just generally I don’t like semi bezels in general; I think it would just look nicer in a full bezel if you’re going to do that!

Thank you @reirei !
Thank you for your thoughts!
Those are all prongs, no bezel as it would look smaller and not let as much light in :)

reirei

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @reirei !
Thank you for your thoughts!
Those are all prongs, no bezel as it would look smaller and not let as much light in :)

Yes I realized that as I was typing it that my sentences were incomplete! I just meant in general as a style I don't like when things are incomplete - like semi bezels and the half open twist style that this setting has (which reminds me of half bezels). I think I might be biased because my engagement ring is a Tot et Moi (in my avatar). It's a family heirloom that I inherited! Since I wear that ring all the time, I think my eyes just assume that this particular style needs a stone pairing.

It's really up to you though as we all have personal preferences. I'm sure it'll be lovely whatever you pick <3

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
After giving it a lot of thought, I vote for the bottom design. It's dainty and flower-like. The difference between the one @TheGarnetGirl has and the sketched bottom design is that hers had six petals, and yours seven.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
After giving it a lot of thought, I vote for the bottom design. It's dainty and flower-like. The difference between the one @TheGarnetGirl has and the sketched bottom design is that hers had six petals, and yours seven.

Thank you so much, @voce !

I agree the stone looks pretty natural in the flower design.
I kinda wanted to love the top one because of the whole idea of "water" and the paraiba color, but the drawing is kinda not doing it for me, it's weird.

Maybe the flower could accomodate 8 petals.
@TheGarnetGirl ...what size are the diamonds in your ring?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I actually like the odd number petals. Most halos have an even number of stones in the halo, and I think an odd number halo is more unique. Here's my tanzanite and spinel ring, which has nine petals.
IMG_20200716_204529.jpg

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock

A friend says the top one looks both like waves AND tentacles :lol: so he loves that one.

I actually love them both, but if the first isn't doin' it for ya, then adios!
With a Halo you get a bit more finger coverage too which is nice!

& My ring has 8 diamond melee, each was about 2mm but closer to 2.25mm

I wanted the halo to look chunky in comparison to my stone as the stone itself was a chubby oval! My paraiba is about 4x5mm so I felt as though going half the diameter would give it that effect.

Do you also want that same look or did you want to have a more delicate halo?

Django74th

Shiny_Rock
I vote for #1! It really showcases the paraiba and has a beautiful flow to the design. Congrats on your beautiful stone!

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
i vote bottom one. its more traditional/classic and will last longer in terms of styling.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much!

@Django0413 Thanks! I love the design, too, and I really want to do it, but maybe with a larger stone =)2

Thanks to your input I think I'm down to these two options:

e98e72d1-2ee7-488b-88d0-1a6765b41b01.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 4.49.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.32.43 AM.png

(Just imagine the paraiba instead of the sapphire)

reirei

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all so much!

@Django0413 Thanks! I love the design, too, and I really want to do it, but maybe with a larger stone =)2

Thanks to your input I think I'm down to these two options:

e98e72d1-2ee7-488b-88d0-1a6765b41b01.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 4.49.23 PM.png

(Just imagine the paraiba instead of the sapphire)

This is such a hard decision! I love both! Due to the size of the stone, I’m leaning toward the second one, the preset, as I think the paraiba might shine more there.

Can’t go wrong with either and I can’t wait to see what you decide!

Polished1911

Shiny_Rock
tentacle vote! but you can’t go wrong with either.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Whatever happens, I really NEEED a tentacle ring in my life :lol:

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
This is such a hard decision! I love both! Due to the size of the stone, I’m leaning toward the second one, the preset, as I think the paraiba might shine more there.

Can’t go wrong with either and I can’t wait to see what you decide!

I know, I can't wait to see what I decide, either!!! :lol:

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Down to flower and tentacle.
Considering having both for different stones.

e98e72d1-2ee7-488b-88d0-1a6765b41b01 2.jpg

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would you be willing to share the vendors of your two pre-made settings? They’re beautiful!

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer straight symetrical rings, but, the idea of tying in the water is nice. What if you had 'tentacles' that graduated down at the ends and met up to close the circle. It would look more like a wave or a whirlpool? With a 3mm stone, your melee are going to be VERY dainty. The melee in the drawing are less than 1mm each.

Would doing some pavé with a complementary but non competing color be feasible? Like, have a 'ridge' of white foam/diamonds, with a gentle swoop with a line of light greyish teal sapphires or deep blue either side. Otherwise you may end up with a suuuuuper thin shank, or a lot of plain metal.

Honestly, with color like that,you could set it in anything and it would be spectacular!

20200719_010833.jpg

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
I prefer straight symetrical rings, but, the idea of tying in the water is nice. What if you had 'tentacles' that graduated down at the ends and met up to close the circle. It would look more like a wave or a whirlpool? With a 3mm stone, your melee are going to be VERY dainty. The melee in the drawing are less than 1mm each.

Would doing some pavé with a complementary but non competing color be feasible? Like, have a 'ridge' of white foam/diamonds, with a gentle swoop with a line of light greyish teal sapphires or deep blue either side. Otherwise you may end up with a suuuuuper thin shank, or a lot of plain metal.

Honestly, with color like that,you could set it in anything and it would be spectacular!

20200719_010833.jpg

I LOVE this :kiss2: Thank you so much for drawing it!!
The idea of an extra row of a colored pavé is... woah, that'd be gorgeous. More substantial, definitely.

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
I'd say the stone is so special. It should have a setting that draws ur eye to the stone. I agree with other comments abt symmetry. so the focus of the eye, and setting is to draw the eye to the center. Something the tentacle is lovely as a cool ring. maybe diamond center to show case the style and setting/design.

The image with the almost clover leaf/flower petal style ( with the sapphire) is pretty if you dont want a traditional halo. but still has symmetry to bring your eye/focus to the center.

my 2 cents. lol I'm not a jewlery designer. but an interior designer lol so not sure if that helps.

would love to see what u ended up with!

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
I'd say the stone is so special. It should have a setting that draws ur eye to the stone. I agree with other comments abt symmetry. so the focus of the eye, and setting is to draw the eye to the center. Something the tentacle is lovely as a cool ring. maybe diamond center to show case the style and setting/design.

The image with the almost clover leaf/flower petal style ( with the sapphire) is pretty if you dont want a traditional halo. but still has symmetry to bring your eye/focus to the center.

my 2 cents. lol I'm not a jewlery designer. but an interior designer lol so not sure if that helps.

would love to see what u ended up with!

That is a really great point. I definitely want to showcase/protect the paraiba. The tentacle/water idea could fit a variety of stones. Like any stone could work in that setting, but a paraiba can't be in just any setting? I'm sure there's a more poetic way to phrase that haha :P2

Thank you =)2 this brings me closer to a choice I'll feel confident with.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Another upside to a fully symmetric halo/flower design is that I could turn it into a pendant down the line, or if it turns out I bang a ring too much.

This decision is, for me, the equivalent of getting a tattoo :lol:

(Finally changed my profile picture to something decent - the ring my mom got when I was born)

Last edited:

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
That is a really great point. I definitely want to showcase/protect the paraiba. The tentacle/water idea could fit a variety of stones. Like any stone could work in that setting, but a paraiba can't be in just any setting? I'm sure there's a more poetic way to phrase that haha :P2

Thank you =)2 this brings me closer to a choice I'll feel confident with.

I agree! Any stone can do in the other setting- but the Paraiba isn't just Anystone!
Its a statement! and a love for the stone! :)

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
I agree! Any stone can do in the other setting- but the Paraiba isn't just Any stone!
Its a statement! and a love for the stone! :)

Exactly! 100%
An ode to the stone, tiny as it may be it's still gotta show some respect :P2

I've been changing my mind every day now so I think I'll wait a few days more.
But I'm definitely going with one of the chunkier halos.

@distracts just made a great point in another thread about choosing a more subdued diamond sparkle so nothing would compete with her incredible oval paraiba. I thought the milgrain flower setting would be too fuzzy for my baby paraiba, but maybe a chunky halo of big round diamonds would be way worse at stealing the show.

Definitely overthinking it, but I think I'm on to something with all this :lol:

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
not at all. haha its ur prized stone.

ok. not to throw something else into the mix. I found this online. I don't own this design and didnt look into who did it. But how abt something with just the circled parts- and the rest is a simple no stone band...ur stone in the center? Ur stone is larger.. but when u said multigrain, my brain was like Yas! but should be a more romantic styling...
Screenshot_20200721-182904_Chrome.jpg

I prefer still something more simple. but it would be so pretty! lol.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Oh that is so beautiful! :kiss2: I'm a sucker for all things antique/romantic!

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
So... for those still wondering... :razz:

I pulled the trigger on pre-set 1, the flower milgrain design. I realized I'd been writing to the designer on-and-off for over a year, and with what I want the ring to symbolize/celebrate, it's only fitting I go back to that idea. It's still a huge step forward from having it on a plain stacker ring, so yay! Thank you all so much for your input!

I can't wait to post pics when it's finally set.
And also I can't wait to start the tentacle ring as a new project, maybe with a teal or light blue sapphire. Or spinel. I'll be on the lookout for those ;)2

Cina_s

Shiny_Rock
Yay! Congrats! The flower design is a great choice, not a typical halo, but still symmetrical. Multigrain with a touch of romance.

Cant wait to see it! or your next Marine inspired Tentacle ring! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results