shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting a tiny paraiba: stacking or halo? Pics included!

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Hello, lovelies!
Long time no read.

One of my last post was about my tiny 3mm Brazilian paraiba. It's small but mighty, and I'm ready to have it set on something nice for my birthday! :mrgreen:

I'm sure I want it on a ring, and you've mentioned some great points about this stone needing a protective barrier, like a halo, so these are the options:

1. Get a pre-made halo setting from Etsy - they're BLINGY! As in maybe I wouldn't wear this ring every single day, but the stone would look great and it would be protected. (I'm considering two settings, pics below)

2. Trying it as a stacking ring - more likely to wear it every day, plus it's fun to mix-and-match with eternity bands, half-halos, or an open ring to create a faux 3-stone. I could even dress it up or down. The stone would be protected by surrounding rings, but less protected than with a full halo. I ordered a setting, it's on its way (pic also below)

OR

3. Have a custom setting made. A middle ground: a dainty halo (or double halo), so it's both fully protected AND wearable.

I'd looove to get your imput. Everyone here has such amazing taste and it's been great seeing you get stones and having them set. I can't wait to share the same excitement!

I want to be sure before I have it set. I don't want to feel like I'm "wasting" a stone in something so simple, but I also want to wear it often.

Adding pics!!!

Pre-made setting 1

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.32.43 AM.png

Pre-made setting 2

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.17.06 AM.png

Stacker setting I got (middle finger):

Screen Shot 2020-06-27 at 3.38.24 AM.png

Thank you for your thoughts!!! They will be MUCH appreciated!

Last edited:
I strongly prefer the idea of a cluster or perhaps a ballerina or Thai princess ring. Paraiba is so stunning, that color packs such a punch and would go soooo well with either a full diamond or diamond & blue sapphire setting. Out of the pictures you picked, I like cluster 1, but I would also check out ballerina or Thai princess settings before taking a call. I don’t see anything wrong with a blingy ring for everyday/most day/casual wear - I think it’s fantastic!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice challenge! My personal preference is setting 1: very elegant and sophisticated. With setting 2 you will catch on anything: a wool sweater, stockings or a silk skirt...

I also love the idea of stacking and like the setting you posted a lot. But I would be scared the stone is not protected enough

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Premade 1 is substantial yet allows the paraiba to pop without being too busy. Premade 2 looks very delicate and the numerous edges just screams getting caught in corners, pockets, bags, etc.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the first pre-made setting. I think it will showcase the stone's color and give a little hand presence. I don't think it's too blingy for everyday wear!

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
I strongly prefer the idea of a cluster or perhaps a ballerina or Thai princess ring. Paraiba is so stunning, that color packs such a punch and would go soooo well with either a full diamond or diamond & blue sapphire setting. Out of the pictures you picked, I like cluster 1, but I would also check out ballerina or Thai princess settings before taking a call. I don’t see anything wrong with a blingy ring for everyday/most day/casual wear - I think it’s fantastic!

Oh wow, I didn't know the term Thai Princess Ring! How great is it that we can still learn a new thing every day! It's a gorgeous setting.

Nice challenge! My personal preference is setting 1: very elegant and sophisticated. With setting 2 you will catch on anything: a wool sweater, stockings or a silk skirt...

I also love the idea of stacking and like the setting you posted a lot. But I would be scared the stone is not protected enough

Very true! Ring 2 looks so delicate but I do like wearing satin and silk, prongs are a nightmare on those!

Premade 1 is substantial yet allows the paraiba to pop without being too busy. Premade 2 looks very delicate and the numerous edges just screams getting caught in corners, pockets, bags, etc.

True! Looks like Premade 1 is winning.

I really like the first pre-made setting. I think it will showcase the stone's color and give a little hand presence. I don't think it's too blingy for everyday wear!

I love what you say about it not being too blingy for every day wear! It's definitely a state of mind ;-)

Great! It's decided, then.
It might take me a little longer but it's much better to make the right choice vs getting any setting just because I can't wait to have it on my hand! =)2

Thank you, all!!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally like setting choice# 1. It has enough bling to really make the paraiba pop, while still providing it with some necessary protection. I would rock it every day...it’s definitely not too blingy. :mrgreen:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG ! I love the middle one :appl: but it doesn't look very practical as i would get it caught on everything

So id say the first option is quite becoming :kiss2:

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Yay! Contacting the maker to see if/when it can be done. I know many workshops are closed during this time, so here's hoping I can have it for my birthday in mid-August! :D

voce

Ideal_Rock
20190221_202705.jpg
I have a tiny pairiba thats in a bezel.

I agree it has a bezel look, but it's actually ruby prongs holding the stone in the cup.

renwea

Shiny_Rock
You're right!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I agree it has a bezel look, but it's actually ruby prongs holding the stone in the cup.
oops, my phone thought tiny was ruby. Guess this means I use the word ruby quite a lot? :lol:

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
20190221_202705.jpg
I have a tiny pairiba thats in a bezel.

That's a great idea!!! If the bezel is as tall as the stone, that would be total protection! :shock:
Yummy looking cabochon! Congrats!
That's Cecilia Riley, right?

Here is how I set my tiny pariaba....even though small, it has quite a presence. This setting came from Ivy & Rose on Etsy. IMG_20171201_055828.jpg

I looove how the color pops! I love Ivy & Rose! They're incredible with Art DECO REPRODUCTIONS.
I favorited one of their settings, it was one of my nominees:
It's this one.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Heres how I set my tiny Brazilian Paraiba although shes slightly bigger at approx. 4x5mm

IMG_20200630_200228~2.jpg
IMG_20200630_200304.jpg

I love love love the 2nd premade setting and think itd look like a snowflake! I love it! Just be careful not to snag it on your sweater when you wear it!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have pics of your stone?

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the snowflake Alexandrite ring. The Paraiba blue is somewhat reminiscent of the blue color in glacial ice.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Heres how I set my tiny Brazilian Paraiba although shes slightly bigger at approx. 4x5mm

IMG_20200630_200228~2.jpg
IMG_20200630_200304.jpg

I love love love the 2nd premade setting and think itd look like a snowflake! I love it! Just be careful not to snag it on your sweater when you wear it!

OMG I'm in looooove :kiss2:
Is that rose gold?

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
Do you have pics of your stone?

Yes I do ;)2

On seller's hand. White light but no filter:
4826614F-63B3-4DF8-9036-FF22D8781161.JPG BD915521-4951-4E2B-8587-F8614F41220E.JPG

On my hand. Natural light. No filter:

IMG_5EB5F0A72D51-1.jpeg

3mm, GIA certified as Brazilian. It's unheated although GIA still can't put that because they still can't be sure. It's VERY turquoise-blue :kiss2:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yes I do ;)2

On seller's hand. White light but no filter:
4826614F-63B3-4DF8-9036-FF22D8781161.JPG BD915521-4951-4E2B-8587-F8614F41220E.JPG

On my hand. Natural light. No filter:

IMG_5EB5F0A72D51-1.jpeg

3mm, GIA certified as Brazilian. It's unheated although GIA still can't put that because they still can't be sure. It's VERY turquoise-blue :kiss2:

It's unheated?
Oh wow, if true that is incredibly rare to find & probably came with a steep price tag although little!!
Usually all paraibas are heated so to find one without is BIG.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
It's unheated?
Oh wow, if true that is incredibly rare to find & probably came with a steep price tag although little!!
Usually all paraibas are heated so to find one without is BIG.

Yes :D
It was definitely a Holy Grail of a stone to find, luckily I found a Brazilian dealer who is also very passionate about untreated Paraibas.
So it really does deserve a nice setting. I'm definitely going with one of the two cluster/halos.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yes :D
It was definitely a Holy Grail of a stone to find, luckily I found a Brazilian dealer who is also very passionate about untreated Paraibas.
So it really does deserve a nice setting. I'm definitely going with one of the two cluster/halos.

So it has a GIA report but they weren't able to deduce if it's heat treated?
I'm probably wrong but if it were the actual lab & not just a jeweler/expert that is trained by GIA I thought that heat treatment was fairly simple to distinguish? Maybe not for paraibas?
I'm genuinely curious so maybe others with better insight can weigh in!

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
I'm probably wrong but if it were the actual lab & not just a jeweler/expert that is trained by GIA I thought that heat treatment was fairly simple to distinguish? Maybe not for paraibas?

Exactly, it's not as easy with Paraibas. Apparently they have an internal debate as they've gotten it wrong in the past, so they don't put whether it's heated or not in the report. They did say in person that they didn't think it was.
This is the lab report for my stone.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
So... I'm sorry to be dizzying you all with this :lol: BUT... I just talked to my ex who had great taste in jewels (we've been talking lately) and he gave me a game-changing idea.

So he said, why not something with more water-like lines? Extra protection AND the design would make sense with the stone's color. And the color is the whole point of a Paraiba.

Some ideas:

PHOTO-2020-07-13-17-17-50.jpg
wave ring 4 mccaul.jpg
wave ring 3.jpg
wave ring.jpg

Customs take longer and are pricier, but I think it might be worth it.

voce

Ideal_Rock

I think heat treatment in tourmalines IN GENERAL is not possible to determine with certainty, so I take "untreated tourmaline" with a grain of salt and would not pay a premium for a claim that no lab would be able to verify with the current science.

It is a beautiful stone.

MariMeow

Rough_Rock
So! I had a virtual appointment with a designer.
Here are two custom design options she made for me:

WhatsApp Image 2020-07-15 at 4.57.24 PM.jpeg

Both protective and great for daily wear. Decisions, decisions...

The bottom one reminds me a little bit of @TheGarnetGirl 's ring.
A friend says the top one looks both like waves AND tentacles :lol: so he loves that one.

Which one would you guys vote for?

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results