shape
carat
color
clarity

Search for Rubies

M

maru8888777

Both rings are beautiful and yes, I can now see some fluorescence on ring 2. However, I still prefer ring 1 also. I think it's beautiful and the stone just glows. It also looks redder to me now than it did in the earlier pictures. I think you have to love it though!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Option #1 for me, I would happily own it.

voce

Ideal_Rock

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I love it. It's plenty red enough and probably turns more pinkish only under direct sunlight.

Thank you so much for the feedback!!!!

Also paging @VividRed would also love to hear your thoughts if u don't mind!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Sitting here with popcorn patiently watching the search for The One.

Dhdjjdjdjds it's taken so long, I feel kinda bad now for how long this thread has gotten

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not answering your specific question but there's not a lot of light return -- and I expect that we are seeing it at its best (?). I'm guessing it's quite shallow?

I think it's a pretty ring.

I forget much of what's above but are you looking for perfection? Or "good enough for the money"?

I hope it's "heat only."

Back to your question: I like that hue/tone/saturation -- Burma-y hue but a bit less saturated, imo -- whereas others may find it too close to rubellite (fairly "pink-y") in the sunny part of the video.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
The new one is nice, it's a bit darker in low light.
I still love the antique cluster of option #1.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Another candidate!

Just curious but what do you guys think of the hue/saturation/glow?

A tad above ideal saturation for me (this might be 85% saturation on an AGL Grading Report while ideal saturation to me is 80%). In terms of hue I find it runs a little orange whereas I prefer blue. There is a bit of glow, but nothing that's breathtaking. This stone is a little too silky compared to trade ideal.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
A tad above ideal saturation for me (this might be 85% saturation on an AGL Grading Report while ideal saturation to me is 80%). In terms of hue I find it runs a little orange whereas I prefer blue. There is a bit of glow, but nothing that's breathtaking. This stone is a little too silky compared to trade ideal.

Completely agree with your assessment,
Voce

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
So. Let's wrap it up.

@LilAlex sees it as a bit too pink.

@voce and @VividRed see it as a bit too orange.

How does that happen? :lol:

I seem to be the only one who likes it. On my screen it appears to be a lovely red. No orange, no pink.

I wouldn't put too much weight on the way it looks in shade. This is a very sharp contrast between the bright sun and the shade, judging by the shadow the video was taken under harsh midday sun. The way phone cameras handle the brightness in these scenarios often results in the stone looking overly dark in the shade. I've attempted taking a whole bunch of videos of my own ruby moving it between shade and sunlight, and always decide against sharing them because even though they display the glow wonderfully, they make it look absolutely terrible in the shade. So I wouldn't judge the stone based on that alone, it's probably not how it will look on the regular.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys, sorry I disappeared for a few days, life go a bit busy >.<

Wow I'm a bit amazed at the wide variety of responses I got for the latest ring! It seems everyone's a bit mixed on it? Personally, I think my initial thought was the ruby looked a bit purpleish pink? And after thinking about it a bit more, I think its glow in bright sunlight was not quite as intense as I would have personally preferred it....it was priced at USD64K, and I think I've seen better glow for less on rubies with similar dimensions lol.

I spotted this on Instagram and I reached out to the seller asap-- unheated, Burmese, 1.8ct, a Boucheron vintage and priced at USD102K. I understand there are limitations with viewing online but-- I'm trying to mentally compare it to Robert Genis' 2.14ct classic Mogok ruby which he has previously sent me pictures of because the price range is very similar.

The Boucheron vintage:

Robert's:
https://www.preciousgemstones.com/i...d-burma/214-classic-mogok-unheated-burma-ruby

(also posted a few days back)

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry the Boucheron ring is actually a 2.15ct ruby; per the AGL report, the face-up is also bigger than Robert's since the ruby's "butt" isn't as long

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys, sorry I disappeared for a few days, life go a bit busy >.<

Wow I'm a bit amazed at the wide variety of responses I got for the latest ring! It seems everyone's a bit mixed on it? Personally, I think my initial thought was the ruby looked a bit purpleish pink? And after thinking about it a bit more, I think its glow in bright sunlight was not quite as intense as I would have personally preferred it....it was priced at USD64K, and I think I've seen better glow for less on rubies with similar dimensions lol.

I spotted this on Instagram and I reached out to the seller asap-- unheated, Burmese, 1.8ct, a Boucheron vintage and priced at USD102K. I understand there are limitations with viewing online but-- I'm trying to mentally compare it to Robert Genis' 2.14ct classic Mogok ruby which he has previously sent me pictures of because the price range is very similar.

The Boucheron vintage:

Robert's:
https://www.preciousgemstones.com/i...d-burma/214-classic-mogok-unheated-burma-ruby

(also posted a few days back)

Both beautiful rubies, but at the prices stated I think I would personally go for the Boucheron because it has big diamonds and is already set plus the face-up size is better. If you can afford it, it's better to have one of these two options than the earlier one that doesn't look good in the shade. Me personally, I try to stay out of the sun in summer, so I don't know how much pleasure I'd get out of a stone that only looks good in full on sunshine.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Both beautiful rubies, but at the prices stated I think I would personally go for the Boucheron because it has big diamonds and is already set plus the face-up size is better. If you can afford it, it's better to have one of these two options than the earlier one that doesn't look good in the shade. Me personally, I try to stay out of the sun in summer, so I don't know how much pleasure I'd get out of a stone that only looks good in full on sunshine.

Voce thank you so much for the feedback!! I have a Zoom call with the seller next Wednesday so I can have a better sense of the ring in various lighting, quite excited!

I'm also chatting with Jogani Gallery and I should be receiving more photos/videos of some rubies from them, fingers crossed for that! They posted an absolutely gorgeous 2.79ct ring but also it's USD245,000 lol

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock

The options from jogani! What do you think?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No educated input for you

Other than saying the almost closed cup setting of that ring i imagine is doing the stone a solid favor in performance perception.

The one top right in hand catches my eye the most for color - but (uneven?) clarity it has might be an issue for the level of stone you are sourcing.

Separate question.
Any of the past ones in this thread that you’ve passed on - do you now regret letting it get away?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
No educated input for you

Other than saying the almost closed cup setting of that ring i imagine is doing the stone a solid favor in performance perception.

The one top right in hand catches my eye the most for color - but (uneven?) clarity it has might be an issue for the level of stone you are sourcing.

Separate question.
Any of the past ones in this thread that you’ve passed on - do you now regret letting it get away?

Ahh I see understood.

I don't regret passing up on any in the past, it's just how things go sometimes ig lol

voce

Ideal_Rock

Only the top right cushion is what I consider to be pigeon blood red, which I understand can be a somewhat subjective term, since individual color perception can vary. It does look like perhaps the clarity is less ideal in the tilt shots, so in terms of pure aesthetics, I still prefer the previous two that you posted, from Boucheron and from Robert Genis.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Only the top right cushion is what I consider to be pigeon blood red, which I understand can be a somewhat subjective term, since individual color perception can vary. It does look like perhaps the clarity is less ideal in the tilt shots, so in terms of pure aesthetics, I still prefer the previous two that you posted, from Boucheron and from Robert Genis.

Ohhh yeah the seller did say it has three feathers so the clarity is less than ideal, but the price seems pretty good to me? 1.94ct unheated Burmese for less than USD30K- does that price sound fair given the clarity issues?

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh yeah the seller did say it has three feathers so the clarity is less than ideal, but the price seems pretty good to me? 1.94ct unheated Burmese for less than USD30K- does that price sound fair given the clarity issues?

I guess the price is relatively OK for untreated Burmese, but make sure you get the independent lab report, because if it's from any other origin you'd be overpaying.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I guess the price is relatively OK for untreated Burmese, but make sure you get the independent lab report, because if it's from any other origin you'd be overpaying.

Thank you for the feedback! The ruby already comes with an AGL cert:

1693807912076.png

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

They have (he has) a funny selection, imo -- at least from what I see on IG. Lots of big stones and high-demand origins but most seem undersaturated or windowed or some other huge flaw. Perfect for box-checking or pride-of-ownership but not true connoisseurship, imo. I have only priced one thing and that was years ago.

If you are looking at six-figure rubies, I think it's impossible to go by photos; you fly there and look at them in person -- and you look at them next to a bunch of other rubies. (I have never done this but if I ever got to that price-point, I hope I would.) And even getting them home, unless you have perfect-color archetypes for comparison and reproducible lighting, you will not know if they are (merely) lovely or simply spectacular. At that price-point, they should be the latter.

I think fine unheated rubies are the hardest thing to buy -- way more so than Kashmir sapphire even -- because prices are stratospheric at the highest end (i.e, can be seven figures for << 10ct) and it's so hard to know where you are in that enormous range. In other words, they are the least commoditized. What's the difference between a small $100K ruby and a small $250K ruby? You'd better be right!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
@LilAlex noted! Rubies are rather tricky to evaluate esp online

Some more videos of the 1.94ct ruby @vocewhat do you think of the clarity and color hue/saturation/tone?

voce

Ideal_Rock
@LilAlex noted! Rubies are rather tricky to evaluate esp online

Some more videos of the 1.94ct ruby @vocewhat do you think of the clarity and color hue/saturation/tone?

Cannot complain about the color. Clarity is the biggest issue. Although the ruby light return looks okay in these videos, you have to think about what it will be once set. Have you seen this stone in direct sunlight yet?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
The color to me looks smashing. I’m not a ruby expert by any means (I don’t own any), nor am I a clarity snob…in fact I’m pretty unbothered by inclusions

To me the color and performance looks pretty dang good and the price is far more palatable compared to some of the other eye watering figures

I think you have to decide how comfortable you are with inclusions and making that concession. Are you looking to check a box with a fabulous Ruby or are you seeking perfection?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results