shape
carat
color
clarity

Search for Rubies

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Cannot complain about the color. Clarity is the biggest issue. Although the ruby light return looks okay in these videos, you have to think about what it will be once set. Have you seen this stone in direct sunlight yet?
Checking with the seller right now!

The color to me looks smashing. I’m not a ruby expert by any means (I don’t own any), nor am I a clarity snob…in fact I’m pretty unbothered by inclusions

To me the color and performance looks pretty dang good and the price is far more palatable compared to some of the other eye watering figures

I think you have to decide how comfortable you are with inclusions and making that concession. Are you looking to check a box with a fabulous Ruby or are you seeking perfection?

Ahhhh true true. I think rn hmmmm I'm a bit torn.

On one hand, I do like the color of this one a lot

On the other hand, I chatted with the seller of the vintage Boucheron ring who said she can do USD88500 as the lowest price which seems....fair? We did a call and from what I can see, the ruby is very clean and the color is very nice. Though to be honest, it did look a bit more pinkish red on camera but I'm not sure if that was just the camera lighting. The boucheron seller also said she's planning on exhibiting the ring at the Hong Kong Jewelry Show in September so I'm looking up tickets for that right now.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Checking with the seller right now!

Ahhhh true true. I think rn hmmmm I'm a bit torn.

On one hand, I do like the color of this one a lot

On the other hand, I chatted with the seller of the vintage Boucheron ring who said she can do USD88500 as the lowest price which seems....fair? We did a call and from what I can see, the ruby is very clean and the color is very nice. Though to be honest, it did look a bit more pinkish red on camera but I'm not sure if that was just the camera lighting. The boucheron seller also said she's planning on exhibiting the ring at the Hong Kong Jewelry Show in September so I'm looking up tickets for that right now.

Seeing IRL will be great! Similar to the antique OEC cluster - I expect some decent amount of that price tag is the mount. Although it’s not many carats of diamonds, it’s an original, intact antique. Matching, high antique pears are very rare, and it’s a known brand.

Do you plan to keep the ring as a whole? I hope so, otherwise I’m not sure I’d consider it. I’m not a pro on pricing whatsoever but that seems steep for the ruby alone. It also looks like it has a window, and doesn’t perform as nicely to my eye as the more included, much less expensive specimen I commented on.

Would be curious to hear what others think :) I lack tons of confidence in Ruby shopping so take my feedback with a grain of salt!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I missed it. Photo??
I'm following along, just not very well.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I missed it. Photo??
I'm following along, just not very well

Oh, sorry about that! So one option is this 2.15ct ruby Boucheron:

The seller has quoted the entire ring for USD88500 to me.

The other option is a 1.94ct ring from Jogani for under USD30K (3rd from the left in the first video:

Ofc it's a lot more included but the color looks nice...and the price is much more reasonable.

Right now, I'm mostly debating the color/glow between the two of them, namely which one is a more pure red and more saturated. Any feedback is very welcome!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock

The seller has quoted the entire ring for USD88500 to me.

The other option is a 1.94ct ring from Jogani for under USD30K (3rd from the left in the first video:

Ofc it's a lot more included but the color looks nice...and the price is much more reasonable.

Right now, I'm mostly debating the color/glow between the two of them, namely which one is a more pure red and more saturated. Any feedback is very welcome!

Thank you!!!
I'm living vicariously :)

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I feel conflicted about this one....it looks truly properly red but also doesn't seem to glow in sunlight? Hmmmm and it's usd88k

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
it looks truly properly red but also doesn't seem to glow in sunlight?

My guess would be, those two are connected.

Rubies glow in sunlight due to fluorescence which is caused by the chrome content in the crystal, and chrome fluoresces pink. Any stone with strong fluorescence will have a slight pinkish tinge in sunlight.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well that is something else. (And I thought that way before seeing the out-of-this-world price.) At that quality level, the price is just whatever somebody is willing to pay. Super-late, I know. I like the Boucheron much better. And is it just me or are all ruby rings 88K? :cool2:

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
It looks properly red indeed. But the price is seriously high. Can you see it person?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Ok back with another ring....I know there is an old mine diamond, but the seller is asking for 48K for this 1.07ct ruby and it seems a bit high? IMG_20240203_130303_120.jpg
Screenshot_20240203_130216_Instagram.jpg
IMG_20240203_130303_120.jpg

The pro is the color seems great. The con seems to be the cut- and the ruby looks pretty included? Seller confirmed there is a chip at the girdle

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240203_130255_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20240203_130255_Instagram.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 25

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It is a bit high, but it's also rare as a design. How badly is it chipped/included? It's very pretty.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Is that a Thai ruby? They can be quite true darker red without flourescence.

Sorry for the late reply! The ruby is Burmese but I passed since the color for that price was not what I wanted

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I get why it wasn’t for you, but wowee what an amazing antique!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
wow, so pricey!
I really like the Boucheron ring but I suspect a % of its high cost is in the diamonds either side.
the latest ring hmmmm, again you have to buy all the ring to get the ruby. My ruby is also an “weird” shape, sort a cross between an oval and pear.
Feeling a bit guilty now that I just stuck my ruby in a setting I had.
IMG_8414.jpeg

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I get why it wasn’t for you, but wowee what an amazing antique!!

I go back and forth on the ring! The design is unusual and my style, the colorbis great but then I waver when it comes to the cut of the ruby and that chip, especially given the cost lol (48K) hencebwhybI keep wavering do much loo

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
wow, so pricey!
I really like the Boucheron ring but I suspect a % of its high cost is in the diamonds either side.
the latest ring hmmmm, again you have to buy all the ring to get the ruby. My ruby is also an “weird” shape, sort a cross between an oval and pear.
Feeling a bit guilty now that I just stuck my ruby in a setting I had.
IMG_8414.jpeg

Ohhhh I see I see, got it! What a beautifully bright color tho!!! Not sure if it's just my eyes, but the antique rings ruby looks like it's cut funny?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh I see I see, got it! What a beautifully bright color tho!!! Not sure if it's just my eyes, but the antique rings ruby looks like it's cut funny?

It doesn’t fit the setting at all, sort of just plonked in but at least it’s set so I can enjoy it. The better ruby is still in its gem jar. It’s only 1.14 carats and with my meaty fingers I’ll need carats of diamonds to get some finger coverage.
The setting photographed now has a blue sapphire in it but it’s really the type of setting it deserves. When I win the lottery.

Attachments

• IMG_2647.jpeg
    IMG_2647.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 16

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
It doesn’t fit the setting at all, sort of just plonked in but at least it’s set so I can enjoy it. The better ruby is still in its gem jar. It’s only 1.14 carats and with my meaty fingers I’ll need carats of diamonds to get some finger coverage.
The setting photographed now has a blue sapphire in it but it’s really the type of setting it deserves. When I win the lottery.

Omg that color!!!! Wow....just insane!!!

I was considering a 1.63 ct ruby before and haven't pulled the trigger yet....but I'm considering maybe buying it later this year. What do you think abt the 1.63 (pics are below) compared to the antique ring I posted before?

163,202,214.jpg IMG_20240203_130310_251.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s hard to tell from the photo how it will look in real life.
what’s the return policy like?
It can be tricky with unheated rubies, the silk veils can make the ruby look more opaque. It’s often a trade off.
It would make more financial sense to buy a loose ruby than the antique ruby and setting unless you are as besotted with the antique setting as the ruby in it.
The other problem with old stock Burmese rubies (in my opinion the best of the best) is they have usually had a life being worn, hence the chip to the ruby in the antique ring, and that’s also a trade off.
If I had the money my pick is definitively the Boucheron ring. It’s superb and a ”name” piece, so a better “investment” though the price is eye watering.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When it comes to rubies, maintaining carat weight and giving best colour is more important than shape. A ruby Is pleochroic so in one axis it will be purple red in colour and other orange red colour.
Because the preference is purple red, that’s the axis used for cutting. That and the raw ruby crystal shape influences the end result.
So with rubies you can’t be too fussy on shape or cut because you tend to “get what you get”.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
It’s hard to tell from the photo how it will look in real life.
what’s the return policy like?
It can be tricky with unheated rubies, the silk veils can make the ruby look more opaque. It’s often a trade off.
It would make more financial sense to buy a loose ruby than the antique ruby and setting unless you are as besotted with the antique setting as the ruby in it.
The other problem with old stock Burmese rubies (in my opinion the best of the best) is they have usually had a life being worn, hence the chip to the ruby in the antique ring, and that’s also a trade off.
If I had the money my pick is definitively the Boucheron ring. It’s superb and a ”name” piece, so a better “investment” though the price is eye watering.

Thank you so much!!!

After thinking about this more, I think I'm going to hold off on buying until I go back to the US to see family around summer. I discussed with my husband about making a trip to NYC to see Vock & Vintage (the Boucheron ring) + Enhoerning for any stock along with a trip to Tuscon to see Robert's inventory. Off the top of my head, those are the stops I have in mind. I especially want to see Robert's inventory in person because all his rubies look fabulous, but it's hard to tell which one will call out to me the most via online pictures/videos.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Selecting in person seems like a good choice. You have been looking for a long time and something is stopping you from pulling the trigger, so changing up your strategy seems like a great idea. Also with the sum of money you are spending, making time to see it in person seems like a small price to pay.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Selecting in person seems like a good choice. You have been looking for a long time and something is stopping you from pulling the trigger, so changing up your strategy seems like a great idea. Also with the sum of money you are spending, making time to see it in person seems like a small price to pay.

My thoughts exactly

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock

Yep haha I chatted with my husband about it and he agrees that seeing them in person will help me make my decision a lot better, especially because I will most likely be spending USD50K and up on a loose ruby. Esp from looking at Robert's website, it's so hard to choose because all of his rubies look gorgeous

My thoughts exactly

Haha it's really because my mind keeps gojng back to Robert's rubies but then I can't make up my mind I remember the pic of the ruby you bought from him and it's stayed in my mind since then, so I figured I might as well plan a trip out to Tsucon

jewelryjen

Shiny_Rock
Ok back with another ring....I know there is an old mine diamond, but the seller is asking for 48K for this 1.07ct ruby and it seems a bit high? IMG_20240203_130303_120.jpg
Screenshot_20240203_130216_Instagram.jpg
IMG_20240203_130303_120.jpg

The pro is the color seems great. The con seems to be the cut- and the ruby looks pretty included? Seller confirmed there is a chip at the girdle

Sure is beautiful though!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I feel conflicted about this one....it looks truly properly red but also doesn't seem to glow in sunlight? Hmmmm and it's usd88k

I unknowingly purchased a Greenland ruby, which is super red but does not have fluorescent and does not glow in the sunlight

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I unknowingly purchased a Greenland ruby, which is super red but does not have fluorescent and does not glow in the sunlight

Ohhhh uh I didn't know that could happen! Do you have pics?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Also has anyone purchased from Myanmar Gems by Mr.kp? He appears to be based in Burma, he posted a 1.55ct ruby on his Instagram page that he is claiming is unheated and quoting USD29k. However, when I asked if he can send it to Lotus Labs or GRS, he said it's not possible since he is based in Myanmar. Is this usually the case with sellers based in Myanmar? Does anyone have experience in dealing with him?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results