shape
carat
color
clarity

Search for Rubies

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
It's very pretty but it reminds me of a rubellite. Whether that's what you're going for, I don't know!

Ahhhhh I'm curious about it! Also curious about VividRed's assessment of the ruby lol-- I'm trying to compare it to Inken and the one that Karina sent me, but ofc it's a bit difficult due to different lighting conditions and everything lol

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhhhh I'm curious about it! Also curious about VividRed's assessment of the ruby lol-- I'm trying to compare it to Inken and the one that Karina sent me, but ofc it's a bit difficult due to different lighting conditions and everything lol

I own the little brother of that ruby, which is a bit darker but still very fine. It looks as red as it gets and you won’t find a better one.

C818EA84-131B-4764-844C-AC2F5AF03F1E.jpeg 1B4B9459-3378-47B9-9713-FA485254B617.jpeg 6EC09861-A03A-4F83-B0DA-FCEBEC118849.jpeg 87F8CE15-794D-4640-BAC9-32E866FE273D.jpeg

Attachments

• 97F1556D-F91C-4FE9-95A4-C08EF4B85E4E.jpeg
    97F1556D-F91C-4FE9-95A4-C08EF4B85E4E.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 28

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I own the little brother of that ruby, which is a bit darker but still very fine. It looks as red as it gets and you won’t find a better one.

C818EA84-131B-4764-844C-AC2F5AF03F1E.jpeg 1B4B9459-3378-47B9-9713-FA485254B617.jpeg 6EC09861-A03A-4F83-B0DA-FCEBEC118849.jpeg 87F8CE15-794D-4640-BAC9-32E866FE273D.jpeg

Thank you so much for the pictures-wow your ruby looks amazing!!

Have you also seen the 1.63ct ruby that he has listed on his website? He did state that one has a finer color than the 2.14ct, but I'd also like to hear your thoughts! Also, did you manage to get any pictures of the 2.14ct back then? Sorry for all the questions, just very interested in these rubies!

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the pictures-wow your ruby looks amazing!!

Have you also seen the 1.63ct ruby that he has listed on his website? He did state that one has a finer color than the 2.14ct, but I'd also like to hear your thoughts! Also, did you manage to get any pictures of the 2.14ct back then? Sorry for all the questions, just very interested in these rubies!

Yes the 1.63 is stellar, but the cut is too deep and it might be harder to set nicely - and it faces up a bit smaller. It is a lot cheaper though (still not CHEAP lol)

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Yes the 1.63 is stellar, but the cut is too deep and it might be harder to set nicely - and it faces up a bit smaller. It is a lot cheaper though (still not CHEAP lol)

Oh yeah that was my concern too-- the face-up is a bit small for the price. It's hard because the color looks amazing but also Karina showed me the 1.24ct that also looks amazing and has a similar face-up...and is substantially lower in price LOL. Ahhhhh this is hard...I love the color of the 2.14ct, but the price ak;l fja;da;sfas. Do you think the seller might be open to any negotiations over the price? Or is he generally a bit inflexible? I feel very conflicted right now lol

M

maru8888777

Omg I just saw this on Inken's IG too:

Idk if it's just the lighting, but it looks a bit more pink than the 1.63/2.14ct ruby options?

I did inquire about this ruby ring (1.25 ct) earlier, and I can tell you the price is about 1/10th of what you are being quoted for the 2.14 (which is stunning... I also like the smaller 1.63, despite the smaller face-up... it's BLAZING red). I don't know if it's the "classic" ruby red, but it is Burmese and unheated and seems very neon/fluorescent. I'm no expert, though!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Don’t compromise on color and get the latest pinkish one. Now that I’ve seen reds, pinkish-reds, purplish-reds, vivid red and PBs, I’ll say a true red-red ruby is irresistible. And >100k for a 2 ct is ridiculous.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I did inquire about this ruby ring (1.25 ct) earlier, and I can tell you the price is about 1/10th of what you are being quoted for the 2.14 (which is stunning... I also like the smaller 1.63, despite the smaller face-up... it's BLAZING red). I don't know if it's the "classic" ruby red, but it is Burmese and unheated and seems very neon/fluorescent. I'm no expert, though!
Ohhhh thank you so much for letting me know!!

Don’t compromise on color and get the latest pinkish one. Now that I’ve seen reds, pinkish-reds, purplish-reds, vivid red and PBs, I’ll say a true red-red ruby is irresistible. And >100k for a 2 ct is ridiculous.
Yeah I think I am going to stick to my guns for a true red-red ruby as ridiculous as it sounds lol. I think if the 2ct one was even...idk USD60k, that would be acceptable but over 100K seems...overkill? But then again, ruby prices have also shot up a lot and this is exceptionally good so it's...tough.

Btw this is the 1.63ct one: https://www.preciousgemstones.com/i...d-burma/163-classic-mogok-unheated-burma-ruby

The face-up size isn't great, but I'm curious what you think of the color, especially compared to Karina's 1.24 ct (similar face-up).

1679410324292.png

1.63ct is the far left

Tray video:

Another video:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Sorry but I cannot tell from videos and photos. The rubies that worked out best were always the ones that I bought in person. Too many variables in camera, screen, etc plus end of the day I feel that certain stones just speaks to you when you see them irl.

I kinda regret not getting this back then:

Stunning irl. Already sold.

JewelledEscalators

Brilliant_Rock
I can't help but feel that @Lilith112 would be better off taking a 1 week holiday off work and fly around the world to look at all the rubies in her shortlist. If you're spending tens of thousands of dollars, a few international flights at a few thousands dollars + accommodation might be worth it to see these stones in person so that you really can decide what you like most.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
Oh yeah that was my concern too-- the face-up is a bit small for the price. It's hard because the color looks amazing but also Karina showed me the 1.24ct that also looks amazing and has a similar face-up...and is substantially lower in price LOL. Ahhhhh this is hard...I love the color of the 2.14ct, but the price ak;l fja;da;sfas. Do you think the seller might be open to any negotiations over the price? Or is he generally a bit inflexible? I feel very conflicted right now lol

The ruby from Robert is on a completely different level than Karina’s, in my opinion. Much better clarity

M

maru8888777

Again, I'm no expert, but have spent a lot of time recently thinking about rubies and looking at videos and pictures for a much smaller purchase than yours.
I've learned that comparing between vendors difficult because the lighting/cameras are so different, as @icy_jade said.
That said, it seems as if both the 1.63 and the 1.24 are red as can be. They look it in the images/videos, albeit under different light conditions. I don't know about the 1.24, but the 1.63 is, in addition to well saturated, very clean (AGL seems strict!). I can't remember if Inken's 1.08 is still in the running, but if you saw it in person and didn't really want to buy it, perhaps not?

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I can't help but feel that @Lilith112 would be better off taking a 1 week holiday off work and fly around the world to look at all the rubies in her shortlist. If you're spending tens of thousands of dollars, a few international flights at a few thousands dollars + accommodation might be worth it to see these stones in person so that you really can decide what you like most.
Ahhhh that would be nice! I think I've narrowed it down to Robert's for now though-- asking about the 1.63ct as well

The ruby from Robert is on a completely different level than Karina’s, in my opinion. Much better clarity
Ahhh I see-- would you say the main difference is in clarity vs color quality?

Again, I'm no expert, but have spent a lot of time recently thinking about rubies and looking at videos and pictures for a much smaller purchase than yours.
I've learned that comparing between vendors difficult because the lighting/cameras are so different, as @icy_jade said.
That said, it seems as if both the 1.63 and the 1.24 are red as can be. They look it in the images/videos, albeit under different light conditions. I don't know about the 1.24, but the 1.63 is, in addition to well saturated, very clean (AGL seems strict!). I can't remember if Inken's 1.08 is still in the running, but if you saw it in person and didn't really want to buy it, perhaps not?
From looking at pictures, both the 1.63 and 1.24 are pretty amazing-- I also requested more photos of the 1.63ct from Robert. Also both have smaller face-ups and deeper bottoms so....that's not really a dealbreaker ig.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh that would be nice! I think I've narrowed it down to Robert's for now though-- asking about the 1.63ct as well

Ahhh I see-- would you say the main difference is in clarity vs color quality?

From looking at pictures, both the 1.63 and 1.24 are pretty amazing-- I also requested more photos of the 1.63ct from Robert. Also both have smaller face-ups and deeper bottoms so....that's not really a dealbreaker ig.

Yes, I haven't seen either stone in person, but clarity is the main difference to me. The 1.63 is lower price per carat even though it has better clarity and a better lab report. Since Robert's stone came from Mogok, and Karina's stone might be from Mong Hsu, the origin justifies a higher price for Robert's stone.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I haven't seen either stone in person, but clarity is the main difference to me. The 1.63 is lower price per carat even though it has better clarity and a better lab report. Since Robert's stone came from Mogok, and Karina's stone might be from Mong Hsu, the origin justifies a higher price for Robert's stone.

Yep, the clarity seems amazing!

I'm leaning towards the 1.63ct, the non-ideal cut aside. Robert has also mentioned he has a 2.235ct ruby but it's clarity isn't as great. I requested pictures, but I'm intrigued-- if the inclusions aren't too noticeable and the color is as fine, it sounds promising!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I uh disappeared for a long time, but I found two interesting ruby candidates, both of which are already set (estate/antique pieces).

Option 1: an antique unheated Burmese ruby ring with a cert from a French lab (seller is based in Portugal)

20230619_102310.jpg
20230619_102138.jpg
20230619_102145.jpg
20230613_092052.jpg

The other option is this estate ring- unheated 1ct Burmese ruby with a 1ct diamond:

image001.jpg

Going by color alone, what do you guys think?

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 22
M

maru8888777

I prefer the first over the second because of the fluorescence (which I can't detect in the second stone). I don't know if either are as fine as some of the ones you have posted earlier, but they are beautiful rings!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I prefer the first over the second because of the fluorescence (which I can't detect in the second stone). I don't know if either are as fine as some of the ones you have posted earlier, but they are beautiful rings!

For the second ring, the seller also has this picture on his website:

17285-A.jpg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you'd be happy with either of these two.

Do you think you'd be happy with either of them?

First one is going to be distinctly pinkish in daylight. You've rejected redder stones before.

Second one isn't particularly... bright, I guess? The studio picture shows it's decently included, so it looks pretty velvety on hand, but doesn't appear to have any glow. I agree with @maru8888777, even though there are no sunlight or UV light photos, the second one probably doesn't have fluorescence.

I personally love the first ring (stone and design), and very much appreciate the design of the second ring, it's very stylish.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think you'd be happy with either of these two.

Do you think you'd be happy with either of them?

First one is going to be distinctly pinkish in daylight. You've rejected redder stones before.

Second one isn't particularly... bright, I guess? The studio picture shows it's decently included, so it looks pretty velvety on hand, but doesn't appear to have any glow. I agree with @maru8888777, even though there are no sunlight or UV light photos, the second one probably doesn't have fluorescence.

I personally love the first ring (stone and design), and very much appreciate the design of the second ring, it's very stylish.

I just got off a video call with the seller, and he showed me the ring; I also requested more pictures, but here are some LQ screenshots for now:

InCollage_20230719_004411557.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My gut feelings are on the same with previous replies.

dont know the pricing, and pictures aren’t always the be all end all.

but these two don’t seem to be on the same categories of what you’ve outlined before. Unless your parameters have changed.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
My gut feelings are on the same with previous replies.

dont know the pricing, and pictures aren’t always the be all end all.

but these two don’t seem to be on the same categories of what you’ve outlined before. Unless your parameters have changed.

Ok noted; thank u!!!!! ❤️

M

maru8888777

Have you been able to see many fine rubies in person? I know you've looked at a lot of stones and have been super thorough, but being able to see them in person might help you narrow down the characteristics that are most important to you. I like red-red rubies, but will go a little lighter on the red scale if that means a brighter stone, for instance. And strong fluorescence is important to me.
Perhaps you have done just that and have updated your parameters. Do you want a vintage ring instead of a loose stone? Color seems most important to you (as I think should be the case when looking for a colored stone), but what kind of color preferences do you have? In any case, thank you for sharing and good luck with the search!

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Have you been able to see many fine rubies in person? I know you've looked at a lot of stones and have been super thorough, but being able to see them in person might help you narrow down the characteristics that are most important to you. I like red-red rubies, but will go a little lighter on the red scale if that means a brighter stone, for instance. And strong fluorescence is important to me.
Perhaps you have done just that and have updated your parameters. Do you want a vintage ring instead of a loose stone? Color seems most important to you (as I think should be the case when looking for a colored stone), but what kind of color preferences do you have? In any case, thank you for sharing and good luck with the search!

I have seen quite a few in person! Tbh I just took a bit of a break from looking due to some major life changes (moving countries, hosting in-laws, etc), but I saw these two options recently and was a bit intrigued by them. However, I think I will follow back up with Karina instead and see what she has. If the 1.24ct she showed me before is still around thinking of flying over to HK and taking a look in person

voce

Ideal_Rock
I uh disappeared for a long time, but I found two interesting ruby candidates, both of which are already set (estate/antique pieces).

Option 1: an antique unheated Burmese ruby ring with a cert from a French lab (seller is based in Portugal)

20230619_102310.jpg
20230619_102138.jpg
20230619_102145.jpg
20230613_092052.jpg

The other option is this estate ring- unheated 1ct Burmese ruby with a 1ct diamond:

image001.jpg

Going by color alone, what do you guys think?

Wow! What eye candy. I think they both have fluorescence, but personally I would go with option 1 because it's a classic style that would go with anything. Option 2 feels more avante garde and attention grabbing. If you already have too many rubies in the first style, maybe you could/should go with option 2.

Lilith112

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! What eye candy. I think they both have fluorescence, but personally I would go with option 1 because it's a classic style that would go with anything. Option 2 feels more avante garde and attention grabbing. If you already have too many rubies in the first style, maybe you could/should go with option 2.

Ohhh I see!

I finally got a video of option 1 to load, link is below:

What do you think?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
On ring 2: Screenshots seem to maybe show some fluorescence but it's difficult to judge because the video seems way overexposed. So I really can't tell.

On ring 1: Yep. Still love it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results