shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My other Queen, Queen Margrethe on New Year
this very modern brooch and earings were a gift from Greenland (because HM is also Queen of Greenland)
1641151940330.png

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
A new book has been published to celebrate Crown Princess Mary's upcoming 50th anniversary. The party has been cancelled (sigh), but the cover gives us some sparkle from the ruby tiara and a new (?) pair of earrings.
20220102_014243.jpg

Danish or not, if it has good pictures it will be worth it!

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
poor old Queenie :cry2:
her friend and lady in waiting Lady Diana Farnham died over new year
there cant be many people left now in her social circle that remember the same things any more

1641159102730.png 1641159193871.png 1641159216589.png

Yes, sad new for Her Majesty.

Does anyone have any information on Lady Farnham's tiara?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Yes, sad new for Her Majesty.

Does anyone have any information on Lady Farnham's tiara?

It *might* be same tiara as the one worn by her husband's paternal grandmother at the 1911 coronation, but the photo is not really sharp.
8f74f164dd493866dc331cb704e3f2b2.jpg

The late Lady Farnham also wore a substantial diamond aigrette.
lady-z.jpg

As the 12th Lord and Diana, Lady Farnham only had two (adoptive) daughters, the title passed to her brother-in-law. I don't know if the two tiaras followed the Barony or stayed with Diana/were inherited by her daughters.

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Yesterday, the King and Queen of Spain attended the traditional Pascua Militar and a mini disaster happened!

1641551280380.png
1641551287023.png

The Queen and her brooch were reunited at the palace. 1641551272042.png

I heard about that! Second brooch mishap in a couple of months!

purplemilkywayy

Rough_Rock
I love this thread lol. I don't really care for the celebrity jewelry because most of those are so gaudy... but these royal jewels, my god.

I wonder how many are owned by (or gifted to) them personally, and how many belong to the country and they only get to wear them for special occasions.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I love this thread lol. I don't really care for the celebrity jewelry because most of those are so gaudy... but these royal jewels, my god.

I wonder how many are owned by (or gifted to) them personally, and how many belong to the country and they only get to wear them for special occasions.

I'd say most is privately owned in one way or another and has been passed from generation to generation.
Let's look at the current European monarchies:
- in Britain Queen Mary was very generous with her daughter and daughters-in-law and showered them with jewels. After the loss of her most important family jewels in 1858 to the Hannoverian claim, Queen Victoria designated certain items to be passed from monarch to monarch - think the bow brooches, Golden Jubilee necklace, the Kent amethysts and the diamond set. In a way these are private, but entailed. The Queen, Diana and Camilla have been presented with a treasure trove in jewels by various Arabian royals. Up until recently these were considered private, but a change was made where jewels received in an official capacity are theirs to wear for the duration of their lives. Then, they become part of the royal collection - held by the reigning monarch in trust for the nation.
- Sweden's Queen Victoria and her King created a family foundation to house some of the family jewels and works of art. These include the sapphires, pink topazes, amethysts, the Nine prong and Braganza tiaras, among others. However, not all historic jewels are part of the foundation - e.g. The King inherited the Cameos and Connaught tiara from his mother and bought back the ruby tiara from a cousin. Princess Lilian left most of her privately owned jewels to the Crown Princess, Prince Carl-Philip and Princess Madeleine. The Queen also got a couple of pieces.
- the Norwegians are very private when it comes to jewels, but we can assume that they are privately owned. Indeed we know that Queen Maud's jewellery was devided between the current King and his sisters after Harald's wedding.
- Denmark has private and State Jewles. The former consist mainly of Queen Ingrid's inheritance and privately-acquired items. Queen Ingrid left the ruby parure to her grandson for his wife and Mary wears it proudly. Some jewels, like the pearl parure, diamond riviere and Oranje set, were put in a foundation by Queen Lovisa. Generally, they follow the Crown, but have been loaned on occasion. The Crown Jewels reside in Rosenborg Slot and can't leave the country.
- the Dutch house their family jewels in a foundation for practical reasons. Queens Wilhelmina and Juliana were sole heiresses, but Juliana had 4 daughters. Each child is entitled to an equal share by law (Code Napoleon), which might've resulted in the break-up of the collection and it's sale. That's why the ladies share most of the jewels. There also private jewels - e.g. Trix's sapphire earrings, Maxi's Tutti-Frutti and some lesser and new jewels.
- Spain's royal jewels are all private. Queen Ena's joyas de pasar are the only ones entailed to the position of King.
- in Liechtenstein everything we see is owned privately. The same applies to Monaco.
- Belgium is not as clear. Obviously, most is private and there are no Crown jewels as in Britain and Denmark. We don't know if they have a foundation or a private arrangement for the jewels. Some pieces have not been seen in decades, so we can't know the true extent of the collection. One notable exception - Queen Pola was given a valuable diamond set by the first lady of Congo. Due to the difficult relationship between the countries, these have not been worn and the legal ownership was transferred to the Royal Domain.
- Luxembourg's royals received a lot of criticism for trying to sell of Josephine-Charlotte's jewels 15 years ago. I know that some of the more important pieces we see on the ladies are part of a trust, together with real estate. Don't know if jewels from J-Ch that remained with Henri and Maria-Teresa have been placed there as well. Princess Sibilla owns some lovely jewels - the Art Deco tiara and Ruby necklace are hers.

The above review is based on personal observations and the little official information that has been shared in books and documentaries.

Last edited:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Happy birthday Kate :kiss2:

1641694891945.png
1641694938912.png
1641694988615.png
alas no necklace
but in jewlery borrowed from the Queen and inherited from Diana

but my first thought -oh my :kiss2: she really does have has the most lovely hair:kiss2:

Needs moar jewelry!
I want to see festooning! Swags! Barely being able to hold the head upright with the weight, jewels!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Needs moar jewelry!
I want to see festooning! Swags! Barely being able to hold the head upright with the weight, jewels!
1641709623960.png
very restrained and demure
1641709557521.png
1641709168657.png
Queen Alexandra as Princess of Wales (still quite restrained)
1641709323737.png
doable for Kate in a few years
1641709410407.png
my ulimate Kate
but probably more realistic Camilla ;)2
As The Queen mother with her son, the new King George v and Queen Mary
1641710039814.png

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Needs moar jewelry!

They are beautiful portraits, although I almost didn't recognise Catherine in the red one.
The second one in particular has a certain Winterhalter feel.
ALexandra_of_Denmark_Princess_of_Wales.jpg winterhalter---pauline-sandor.14538940497578606156.jpg Winterhalter_-_Queen_Victoria_1843.jpg

I might be the odd one here, but to me no more jewellery is needed. These are clearly meant to present a more private side of Catherine, not be used as State Portraits. I hope a separate photograph with William and Catherine in all their finery will also be released one day.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are beautiful portraits, although I almost didn't recognise Catherine in the red one.
The second one in particular has a certain Winterhalter feel.
ALexandra_of_Denmark_Princess_of_Wales.jpg winterhalter---pauline-sandor.14538940497578606156.jpg Winterhalter_-_Queen_Victoria_1843.jpg

I might be the odd one here, but to me no more jewellery is needed. These are clearly meant to present a more private side of Catherine, not be used as State Portraits. I hope a separate photograph with William and Catherine in all their finery will also be released one day.

you picked perfect examples
who is the lady in the middle ?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I understand less is more, but then I look at poor beautiful Polish Queen Barbara (Radziwill) and think I need to see a fully pearl (wimple? couvrechef?)
I'm not even sure, but it's important. :lol:
1e0c58f0b4e49cc00f2f1349edc04ef6.jpg

To be royal is harder than it looks, tragic in many cases, and what is better to blunt the sacrifice if not adorned?!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I understand less is more, but then I look at poor beautiful Polish Queen Barbara (Radziwill) and think I need to see a fully pearl (wimple? couvrechef?)

To be royal is harder than it looks, tragic in many cases, and what is better to blunt the sacrifice if not adorned?!

Renaissance jewellery is so fascinating, yet so understated! Thank you for bringing up Queen Barbara to our attention! It's a pity that few pieces have remained from that period.

The closest example from more recent history that comes to mind is Queen Marie of Romania and her almost theatrical use of jewellery.
1641901120620.png

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
@purplemilkywayy , this might be of interest to you :)

The Danish Court has shared a glimpse of an upcoming exhibition for Crown Princess Mary's 50th birthday. Among the items are the ruby parure and items from the collections of previous Crown Princesses.

The Court tells us that ''Frederik VIII’s queen, Lovisa, made important contributions to the Danish collection of crown jewels. She defined the crown jewels as such and established the Danish Royal Property Trust, which ensures that many magnificent pieces of jewellery remain the property of the Royal House. This includes two characteristic bracelets that Lovisa inherited as crown princess.''

You can read more in the link and enjoy the high-res pics released in connection to the exhibition - https://www.kongernessamling.dk/en/koldinghus/ruby-set-selected-objects/

1641901762813.png

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

its like a knight's armor
but pearls
i bet its nearly as heavy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results