shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

rubyjane

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone. I too have lurked for a long time. I agree with everything Lady Maria has said today. The tiaras & dresses seemed off somehow. I think I'm still in shock that we didn't get to see the ocean tiara today. :angryfire: Seriously, she wore nothing???? I actually think I have figured this out. The reason she can get around protocol so easily is because she doesn't have a (royal)mother in law to give her the stink eye when she doesn't conform. Can you imagine the other non royal born brides getting around this stuff? I don't think so.
I was happy to see princess Madeleine wore something other than the cameo. I love the history, but it didn't seem her style. I like the modern fringe but I also hoped she would wear something new slash special.
I want to take a moment to thank you for my royal education. I've learned so much. So thank you all, & don't ever think all your work & efforts are unappreciated. I'm sure there are many more lurkers like me enjoying every word.

Gabriellehb

Rough_Rock
yes I agree about Mary's tiara clashing with her dress she would have been better to loan the midnight tiara to Charlene it would have looked amazing with her dress, and Mary wear her trusty ruby parure (though maybe she didn't wear the rubies so as not to rub the Swedish hosts nose in it i.e. that such an important jewel has gone from their collection)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Welcome, Ruby Jane!
rubyjane said:
The reason she can get around protocol so easily is because she doesn't have a (royal)mother in law to give her the stink eye when she doesn't conform.
LOL, love this! She could use a stern MIL in my opinion. Charlene has 2 tiaras -- the aigrette would have looked just right with her dress & been very appropriate. Would also work better with her short hair than the (unattractive) Ocean tiara.

Princess Mary needs a diamond tiara. Period. I'll write her mother-in-law about it.

Princess Lilian's tiara has always been one of my favorites & it fits Victoria very well. I think her hairdo could have supported it a little better if there had been more hair just behind the tiara; it looked a little lonely up there atop her head by itself. Otherwise, she was stunning.

--- Laurie

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Princess Charlene of Monaco is a classic beauty who needs no jewels to impress other members of royalty who were present for the nuptials.

princessfeedme

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to say the wedding was lovely and the bride was GORGEOUS in every way! :appl: :love: :appl:

On to more irritating concerns...I understand that Charlene has big shoes to fill after Princess Grace, and she wants to separate herself from the inevitable comparisons...but honestly, it's just crass on her part to not represent or highlight Monaco in the best possible light. The brown potato sack and the invisible tiara are atrocious :nono: . She is such a beautiful woman, but I have given up on her taste in clothes and jewelry.

Anyway, can any of you ladies or gents tell me why the wedding was missing Spain and Belgium's royalties? I can understand Holland's absence because Maxima and Willem-Alexander are king and queen now so they may not have anyone of appropriate rank to attend this non-state wedding.

rubyjane

Rough_Rock
While reading some recaps of the wedding festivities I found out that Princess Madeleine changed dresses for the reception. It was said that it was a dress previously worn by the Queen for the Nobels in 2001. I think that was a lovely idea since she didn't follow the other traditions during the ceremony, but made it her own with a special nod to her family history.
I noticed the Countess of Wessex had a brooch attached to her order sash. It looked pretty substantial, have we seen her wear this before?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
edit

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I loved all the pictures of Princess Madeleine, but I felt sorry for her after seeing so many of her and for how long she held her smile. In this one, she seems in repose. It made me feel relief for her! I think she looked exquisite in every way, and I absolutely loved the row of orange blossoms I front of her tiara. I am assuming that they were artificial. At first I thought they would have been real, but I think that they held up too well to have been real, no?

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

princessmadeleinewedding.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I wonder if they're fabric, Deb, maybe made at the same time as the dress. It's an inspired idea for a spring wedding & I love it too. As well as her new bracelet, like TL. Maybe that was a wedding present from parents? groom?

She's experienced enough to know, Deb, that if she stops smiling for 2 seconds, some paparazzo will snap her & the headline will say, This Marriage is Doomed! :lol:

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1371131893|3464951 said:
I wonder if they're fabric, Deb, maybe made at the same time as the dress. It's an inspired idea for a spring wedding & I love it too. As well as her new bracelet, like TL. Maybe that was a wedding present from parents? groom?

She's experienced enough to know, Deb, that if she stops smiling for 2 seconds, some paparazzo will snap her & the headline will say, This Marriage is Doomed! :lol:

--- Laurie

Yes, the flowers aren't real :)
As for the bracelet - it is not new. Queen Silvia, CPss Victoria and Princess Lilian have also worn it, most probably among other Bernadotte ladies. It was suggested some time ago (on RJWMB, I believe) that it formed part of a choker of The Grand Duchess of Baden, Queen Victoria's (of Sweden) mother.
Princess Madeleine comes across as a very positive lady and it's not surprising (to me) that she was all smiles at the wedding and the events the days before ;-) And as you say, HRH is experianced enogh to know how to "behave" in fron to camers :razz:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Just browsed my files and it seems that the Crown Princess hasn't worn the bracelet, at least I couldn't find photos. However, Queen Silvia has, most recently (according to what I have as photos) in 2007 at the Nobels and in 2010 for the private party that marked Daisy's 70th b'day :) The bracelet seems to have been amonf Princess Lilian's favourites, as well as Queen Louise. That's why I don't think it was given to Madeleine as wedding present. Such a historic and beautiful jewel is not given like that ;-)

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I'm watching a documentary on some British Royal Jewels on YouTube now and I'm finding it very amusing to be able to correct the mitakes made by the narator and the people interviewd... Even some thing that you can find in Wikipedia were wrong (like The Queen inheriting jewel from Queen Mary in 1951). I don't know when this was made, but clearly some of the correct info has been known for years, even before the publication of The Queen's Diamonds... I guess they used Menkes as their primary source of information. A pitty. And the photos... Showing replicas and presenting them as the real thing? What were the producers thinking?
Anyway, it would be fun to see what you can pick as incorrect and discuss it here.
The film is called The Royal Jewels Documentary - Queen Elizabeth II, Queen Mary, Princess Diana
Here's a link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mCOIgNoyt4

Bobby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know it was I who suggested that the orange blossoms on Princess Madeleine's tiara might have been artificial, but I now believe that they were fresh. Not only have I seen them described as such in many places, including any site that quotes the designer of her wedding gown, Valentino, but I have also seen them referred to as "sprigs of orange blossom".

Deb/AGBF

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
To Deb - I think you're right after all. Here is what the Royal Court's website tells us about the blossoms:
The Princess's tiara is privately owned, decorated with sprigs of orange blossom.

You can find more information here - The Bride - Sveriges Kungahus

Bobby

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, I agree the documentary on the Queen's jewels is poorly done. Errors, use of imitations. There are much better ones out there, for sure.

I found this beautiful short video of a few Russian Imperial jewels, worth a look. I can't figure out how they filmed this & it's apparently a teaser for a longer one in 3D. Would like to find out where to get it. My only complaint is that none of the pieces are identified; we know the crowns, but of the others, many are unfamiliar to me. Anyway, it's a happy way to spend 4 1/2 minutes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWIUpnJO8VI

--- Laurie

WithinDemise

Rough_Rock
isaku5|1370802081|3462151 said:
Princess Charlene of Monaco is a classic beauty who needs no jewels to impress other members of royalty who were present for the nuptials.

It's not about impressing. Victoria, Silvia, Mary, etc don't need jewels to impress anyone. They wear them because they can and because it's expected in such a situation.

I don't know why Charlene didn't wear any jewels, but it reeks of just not feeling like she fits in, in my opinion.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Excellent thought -- mainly because I had the same one myself. 8-) That went through my head at the 1st photos of the guests. Unfortunately, it's self-fulfilling, isn't it -- by not wearing any jewelry, she makes herself more solitary. I don't understand the constant lack of jewels when her clothes so often cry out for some accessorizing -- a necklace, brooch, or even earrings big enough to be visible. Before they were married she wore nice jewelry from time to time & I looked forward to what she'd come up with after the wedding. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but it speaks more & more of a kind of defiance. Who knows, but it's a disappointment & lost opportunity.

--- Laurie

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with both WD and JF. There are rules of etiquette that Charlene is not following and her position is such that she needs to be following the rules. This is not working to Charlene's advantage, IMHO.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LadyMaria|1371609116|3468457 said:
I agree with both WD and JF. There are rules of etiquette that Charlene is not following and her position is such that she needs to be following the rules. This is not working to Charlene's advantage, IMHO.

I wouldn't have thought that I would agree, but I do. It was shocking to see a photo of her among the other royals so unadorned. She really stuck out. Surely a lady does not dress for an occasion built around another person (in this case Princess Madeleine) with the idea of being a focus of attention. (It is why women were adjured not to wear white to weddings in the past.) She should have tried to blend in out of courtesy.

Deb/AGBF

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Princess of Monaco aside, lets focus on jewels thet are worn ;-)

Yesterday at the second day of Royal Ascot, The Queen wore a new-to-us diamond and emerald brooch. By the looks of it, we can say that it's pure Art-Deco, which might mean that the jewel was part of either Queen Elizabeth or The Hon. Mrs Greville's collections originally. Of course, this is pure speculation, as we don't know (and it's unlikely we ever will) the story behind this sparkler ;-)
Anyway, the part of me mad about emeralds and Art Deco is just crazy about this one :)

Pictures - Overall view, Close up

The Duchess of Cornwall wore Queen Alexandra's PoW feather brooch with the emerald pendant, the insignia of her possition, so to speak - Picture

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Duchess of Gloucester was lovely as usual in her huge pearls with aquamarine (?) pendant and diamond floral earrings - Photo

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
The Queen chose the Kent amethyst brooch for today's Ladies Day at Ascot.
Check this photo of HM being presented the Gold Cup after her hose won. The photo - or rather Lilibeth's expression is priceless :D - Photo

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What an adorable picture, Bobby. She looks...well, delighted? Like she wants to grab that trophy & run home hugging it.

Her emerald brooch of the other day is stunning. I thought of the QM too as the source, & the Greville inheritance is a good thought. It's so pretty, I'm surprised no one has worn it before. Huge emerald that would look great with many outfits.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Just a few large photos of some royal attendees (Ascot 2013) that hadn't been posted here before:
The Lady Brabourne - I love the brooches, they remind me of Queen Maxima's, and the earrings are lovely :)
The Princess Royal's large diamond brooch and some dainty pearls
The Countess of Wessex with the lovely aquamarine brooch and Aqua Chalcedony earrings (and bracelet) from Heavenly Necklaces
Princess Haya and her lovely new emerald and diamond earrings - I'm in love...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a great way of wearing those brooches of Lady Brabourne. They look so nice at the top of her coat.

Princess Anne gives me a chuckle. She looks as ill at ease in a frilly hat as Prince Charles would if he wore one!

--- Laurie

laurensmama

Shiny_Rock
Could some one please comment on the tiara and necklace worn by Lady Melissa Percy today. The tiara looks different from the one worn by her older sister. (I realize the family has quite the collection to choose from). thanks

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
laurensmama|1371928731|3470537 said:
Could some one please comment on the tiara and necklace worn by Lady Melissa Percy today. The tiara looks different from the one worn by her older sister. (I realize the family has quite the collection to choose from). thanks

That was a great tiara! You are correct that it is not the same one her sister wore. Not to mention that Lady Melissa managed to wear her tiara straight and not crooked like Lady Katie. Order of Splendor has info on it on her post today.

northumblerland.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Straight, but holy mackeral, it looks like she slapped it on in the car on the way to the church! How about positioning it a little better? Tiara hair would help. Looks like she is wearing her mother's hat.

But it is a beautiful tiara, one of my faves I've ever seen. It deserves better styling.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Two large photos of the tiara can be seen in the thread Tiaras :razz:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results