shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
SanDiegoLady|1304334433|2909850 said:
they treated Diana so badly and I'd hate for the same to happen to sweet Kate.

This is something I wondered about- how much did Kate consider how they treated Diana before she signed up for this, and what are William's feelings about how his mother was treated?

As far as the jewels, the tiara was an excellent choice, as was the dress, both because of the times (i.e. the bad economy), her youth, her being new to the royal family, and the fact she was marrying the Prince of Wale's son rather than the Prince of Wales, she (or they) couldn't have made better choices. Very nice, but very discreet.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
who outranks whom at what moment is going to matter when someone has to run for a fire extinguisher?

LOL, Danny! You hit the nail on the head.

Please look at my post on the previous page: WHO IS IN THE ROOM DOES NOT DETERMINE PRECEDENCE. The Daily Mail made that up or was mistaken.

Except for curtseying to the Queen, the precedence rules affect mainly the order going in to state dinners, standing in receiving lines, proceeding into Parliament's opening -- all ceremonial stuff. Nobody among the women curtsies to anybody else, besides the Queen. It doesn't mean one person is LESS THAN another. It's a holdover from earlier more formal times -- and a way to get folks into a room in an orderly manner, without having them all crowd the door or bump into each other while they decide where to line up.

I don't think the RF takes it much more seriously than the rest of us. It's another version of grade school classes lining up by height or first initials. They know that.

And I'm disgusted with P. Anne -- sorry to hear she really did say that, I've been hoping it was an error. A lot of insecurity & superficiality exposed in her!

--- Laurie

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1304342090|2909912 said:
And I'm disgusted with P. Anne -- sorry to hear she really did say that, I've been hoping it was an error. A lot of insecurity & superficiality exposed in her!

OK. I know I'm the one who is angriest at Anne for what she said. But I overthink everything. I didn't see footage of what she said, so I don't have the benefit of seeing what has been called, "the smirk". But is it possible that she was mocking, or being ironic, about the reaction of the British public (and, indeed, the world) to the wedding? Could she have been simply reacting to the absolutely enormous coverage of the story, because it was a sort of fairy tale, Cinderella, "rags-to-riches" tale that caught the imagination of the public? If she was just commenting on how this kind of story fed the popular imagination and it wasn't meant as a slight to Kate Middleton, I really don't think it is any big deal.

Can we know?

Deb/AGBF
:read:

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Engagement ring

SanDiegoLady|1304333671|2909841 said:
jean95404|1304261174|2909105 said:
As Catherine went into the church her engagement ring was on her right hand. It is my best guess that she changed it over to her left hand when they went back to sign the marriage documents in the room behind the alter because it was on her left hand when they returned to the main church.

I saw it on her right hand as well.. and was changed to her left after they left signing the registry.

Do you mean this ring???

LOL! Sorry, I found that and couldn't resist.

dianaring.JPG

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Princess Royal at the pre wedding dinner wore the choker from Empress MF of Russia

113258240.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alexander1917|1304365578|2910283 said:
Princess Royal at the pre wedding dinner wore the choker from Empress MF of Russia

I can't see it. Why would she wear a choker with that dress?

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
Fascinating posts, I just enjoyed reading over the past several days of them.
I enjoyed the wedding a lot, thought it was very well done adn that Kate was a perfect bride. I liked the feel of it better than I liked the feel of the Charles-Diana wedding--perhaps because of hindsight? this young couple definitely looks in love and he looks so tenderly protective of her. this was missing when Charles married Diana, although the pomp and circumstance was grander. I also loved the choices of musics this time--the traditional hymns and the boys/men's choir. charles had opera stars at his wedding (such as Dame Kiri Te Kanawa) and although the music was glorious there was much less of a religious feel, which is more suitable for a wedding.

I had to wonder how some of the guests kept their faces straight when the priests read the parts from the traditional ceremony about the holy meaning of marriage! If I was Camilla (to name just one person) I would have hidden myself under the chair at that point! And there was the Archb. of C. who has been caving and caving to those who wish to change the meaning of marrige entirely--don't wish to get into THAT debate, but how odd to read the original intentions and traditional meanings with a straight face while everyone knows that that is going on. Oh, well, I guess tht often at ceremonies people don't think about the what the words they are hearing mean and whether they agree with them or not (which many there clearly did not).

I thought the Princesses Beatric and Eugenie made quite a statement with their clothing and hat choices. My mother says that she believes that they did this deliberately to make a statement about their feelings about their mother not having been invited. I must say, if I were them I would have resented this too. I know Fergie doesn't always behave well--but has she really behaved any worse than many other members of the royal family in the past fifteen or twenty years? She is the girls' mother. She should have been there.

Re:razz:rincess Anne who works so tireless for charity I would give her benefit of doubt about anything lipreaders said they thought she said. As pointed out, in her own life, she has not shown the sort of snobbery that would leave you to think she would be making such remarks.

My favorite was Her Majesty, who is always right for every occasion--got to love that sunny yellow dress! What a rock she is and what a symbol for the country to rally around.

But I also have to add-Mrs. Middletown is BEAUTIFUL. Although her outfit at the wedding was completely classy (she seems to be a class act), the clothes she had on later flatter her lovely face and figure more. Prince William has made a great choice definitely in terms of looks--if Catherine takes after her mother, he will still have an extremely gorgeous wife in 30 years.

Just some observations. It's all very interesting to speculate, but I keep in mind that I don't know any of these people, or the undercurrents or what was REALLY going on, and probably will never know. I just hope it doesn't turn into a Charles diana thing where within the next five or six years everyone is slurring everyone and backbiting madly and leaking to the press. But that doesn't look likely at the point. The children were so HUMILIATED by the parent's behavior that I believe they will do better.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
TL|1304369204|2910337 said:

better view but some years older.... what i meant was, that it is nice that it came back to light...like the Queen Mothers Scroll Tiara

52113399.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jade,
What a thoughtful post. Actually, my favorite royal wedding, by far, was that of Victoria and Daniel's. I felt like I was actually invited to that one, and they showed such genuine love for one another, and we got to see the reception, and all the festivities that are normally hidden away by the British Royal Family. For those that haven't seen it, it is posted on youtube. There are many beautiful Swedish Royal jewels in this thread and in that video from the Swedish Royal Wedding.

As for Princess Beatrice's choice of a wedding hat, she's actually known for wearing faux pas fashion, including hats, so it doesn't surprise me she would wear that here. Not only her mother wasn't invited, but what about the Obamas, or any U.S. diplomats? I found that strange, in particular because they invited diplomats from countries that no one has ever heard of.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alexander1917|1304384861|2910644 said:
TL|1304369204|2910337 said:

better view but some years older.... what i meant was, that it is nice that it came back to light...like the Queen Mothers Scroll Tiara

Thanks Alex, lovely choker.

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1304392276|2910782 said:
Jade,
What a thoughtful post. Actually, my favorite royal wedding, by far, was that of Victoria and Daniel's. I felt like I was actually invited to that one, and they showed such genuine love for one another, and we got to see the reception, and all the festivities that are normally hidden away by the British Royal Family. For those that haven't seen it, it is posted on youtube. There are many beautiful Swedish Royal jewels in this thread and in that video from the Swedish Royal Wedding.

As for Princess Beatrice's choice of a wedding hat, she's actually known for wearing faux pas fashion, including hats, so it doesn't surprise me she would wear that here. Not only her mother wasn't invited, but what about the Obamas, or any U.S. diplomats? I found that strange, in particular because they invited diplomats from countries that no one has ever heard of.

I watched Victoria's and Daniel's wedding online live as it was taking place, it was a beautiful wedding (even though I couldn't understand the vows!)...but as with Catherine and William, the way they looked at each other said it all! :razz:

And in light of the recent demise of Osama BL, I almost wonder if the powers that be knew ahead of time that the US was planning a strategic military strike, the same day/weekend of the Royal wedding, so Pres. & Mrs. Obama weren't invited? I know there is speculation that C&W delayed their honeymoon after receiving info that a military situation was about to take place (and that same thoguht hit me as soon as I heard what had happened)...maybe this attack was planned from further back than they are saying, so they weren't invited due to a security risk, etc.?

I also heard that since this was in fact a private wedding and not a state one, that not all important dignitaries were invited....but IMO, some of the ones who were invited were from more obscure places than the US. And there were several questionable 'dignitaries' who were un-invited at the last moment as well. Who knows, LOL, happy I don't have to decide who to invite to these things! :mrgreen:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I had to wonder how some of the guests kept their faces straight when the priests read the parts from the traditional ceremony about the holy meaning of marriage! If I was Camilla (to name just one person) I would have hidden myself under the chair at that point!

Black Jade, I had the same thought. Only mine included Prince Charles. Such a grimy thing, wasn't it.

Agree about Mrs. Middleton -- but I thought her outfit for the wedding was the best, especially after I saw a pic of its sleeve decorations. The color was lovely, cut marvelous. Elegant as all get-out. She sure outshone Camilla, whose hat I expected to be picked up by a breeze & fly away with her over London.

--- Laurie

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
I was just so unpleasantly surprised to see all these negative comments here just a couple of days after such a wonderful day for the British royals and the Middletons, as well as for the people intersted in royalty. Thank God it was a sunny day and everyone is where they should be. I hope we can now move on and focus on royal jewels.

I'll come back later with some photos of some royal ladies and their jewels at the wedding festives.

Bobby

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
The 'obscure' countries were more often than not those that form part of the Commonwealth of Nations!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Blackpaw|1304440155|2911206 said:
The 'obscure' countries were more often than not those that form part of the Commonwealth of Nations!

I meant no offense by my earlier statement, I should have said obscure to "me" or to Americans. Sorry.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
TL|1304392276|2910782 said:
Jade,

I must've noticed that the only Heads of State present at this wedding were related to the Duke of Cambridge (wow! the first time I actually write this). President & Mrs. Obama most certainly are not that close to the bridegroom and his family, let alone the bride. On the other hand, memebers of the Corps Diplomatique were present and I'd be more than surprised if HE the United States Ambassador to the Court of St. James's was not present at the wedding. After the wedding, the members of HM's Government, the members of the Corps Diplomatique and other dignitaries attended a reception at Lancaster House.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

Thanks Alexander. I was pleasently surprised by the Princess Royal's appearance at the wedding festives. It was nice to see her wearing her sapphires. She mush enjoy them (and who can blame her)...

A few other ladies I'd like of focus on:
First is my favourite Birgitte - aka The Duchess of Gloucester, who were her beautiful emerald, pearl amd diamond jewels and two pearl/diamond bracelets:
o6mYmOwYEpbl.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dZ30FJfrlgEi/610x.jpg
The Duchess of Kent wore her amethyst cross on a string of pearls, also pearl and diamond earrings:
113259119.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/031C7Mc1OK6VC/x610.jpg
Her sister-in-law Marie Christine wore her citrine and diamond earrings and brooch. From the brooch one of the pear-shaped pearls was hanging:
3mwl.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08dN5uQ8VE5dM/610x.jpg
Princess Alexandra of Kent firstly wore a simple chain, but as she was leaving the party, there was her pearl and cabochon emerald choker. The Princess also wore her pearl and diamond pendant earrings and emerald ring:
j73ul7-HJTSl.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08iFfmg0h9eo4/x610.jpg
Pss Alexandra sans collier - http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08ZTemP8Io8rz/x610.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Sarah McCorquodale, Princess Diana's sister, wore the earrings worn by Diana on her own wedding day, in response to William's comment that he wished for his mother's presence at his wedding. They originally belonged to Diana's and Sarah's mother, Frances Shand Kydd, and were Diana's "something borrowed." The earrings consist of a pear-shaped diamond surrounded by 50 smaller diamonds. Lady Sarah had them sent back from America where they were touring as part of an exhibit about Diana.

lady-sarah-mccorquodale--a.jpg

1621992.jpg

images.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bobby!!
Nice to see you back! I love the Queen of Norway, she always looks so lovely and she seems to have such a sunny disposition. I was looking forward to seeing the Crown Prince and Princess of Norway too. Were they there?

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1304444857|2911299 said:
Sarah McCorquodale, Princess Diana's sister, wore the earrings worn by Diana on her own wedding day, in response to William's comment that he wished for his mother's presence at his wedding. They originally belonged to Diana's and Sarah's mother, Frances Shand Kydd, and were Diana's "something borrowed." The earrings consist of a pear-shaped diamond surrounded by 50 smaller diamonds. Lady Sarah had them sent back from America where they were touring as part of an exhibit about Diana.

Interesting that Catherine's wedding earrings also had a teardrop shape drop. I wonder if this was done on purpose to be similar to Diana's?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black Jade|1304370078|2910356 said:
Fascinating posts, I just enjoyed reading over the past several days of them.
I enjoyed the wedding a lot, thought it was very well done adn that Kate was a perfect bride. I liked the feel of it better than I liked the feel of the Charles-Diana wedding--perhaps because of hindsight? this young couple definitely looks in love and he looks so tenderly protective of her. this was missing when Charles married Diana, although the pomp and circumstance was grander. I also loved the choices of musics this time--the traditional hymns and the boys/men's choir. charles had opera stars at his wedding (such as Dame Kiri Te Kanawa) and although the music was glorious there was much less of a religious feel, which is more suitable for a wedding.

They say that if Charles and Diana were to marry today, their exact same wedding, with inflation, would be $110 million dollars. W&C did a much lower scale version of that State affair. However, I'm still sad we didn't get a look in at the reception parties, not even any photos. The taxpayers paid a lot for security services, around $30 million. The wedding itself, was not any where near that cost. I think Diana's dress cost way more than Kate's did.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ara Ann|1304446155|2911323 said:

Interesting that Catherine's wedding earrings also had a teardrop shape drop. I wonder if this was done on purpose to be similar to Diana's?

I thought of that too!! However, I love Diana's earrings in the closeup much more than Kate's. I was looking at that jeweler's website (Pedhlam - sp?), and I wasn't that impressed with the workmanship or some of the designs. Unfortunately, the "new royals" don't read Pricescope. LOL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Were there any members of the Japanese Royal Family there? I had thought Princess Masako might make a rare appearance, and I thought they were invited, but I didn't see them. Perhaps they felt it was inappropriate at this time to go since the country had a very traumatic earthquake and tsunami. ??????

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
TL|1304447264|2911347 said:
Were there any members of the Japanese Royal Family there? I had thought Princess Masako might make a rare appearance, and I thought they were invited, but I didn't see them. Perhaps they felt it was inappropriate at this time to go since the country had a very traumatic earthquake and tsunami. ??????

Yes, an invitation was sent to HM The Emperor and it was said that the Crown Prince (forgive me, but I don't know his correct title) and his Princess were likely to attend the wedding, but then that terrible ting happened and the only natural thing happened - TIH declined the invitation.
I hope we'll see the Japanese heir (& his spouse?) at the wedding of SAS le Prince Souverain de Monaco.

Bobby

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1304446668|2911334 said:

I thought of that too!! However, I love Diana's earrings in the closeup much more than Kate's. I was looking at that jeweler's website (Pedhlam - sp?), and I wasn't that impressed with the workmanship or some of the designs. Unfortunately, the "new royals" don't read Pricescope. LOL!

LOL, that would be amazing, wouldn't it? We could be of SO much assistance to them! :mrgreen:

And yes, Diana's family heirloom earrings have more of a presence that only older pieces can evoke, IMO. Catherine's earrings are pretty, but don't have the depth of character that comes with wear and age. Perhaps they will age along with her! ;)) I'd love to look at the jewelers website though, if you remember the name, please share it! Now I am curious!

Ara Ann

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1304446668|2911334 said:

LOL, that would be amazing, wouldn't it? We could be of SO much assistance to them! :mrgreen:

And yes, Diana's family heirloom earrings have more of a presence that only older pieces can evoke, IMO. Catherine's earrings are pretty, but don't have the depth of character that comes with wear and age. Perhaps they will age along with her! ;)) I'd love to look at the jewelers website though, if you remember the name, please share it! Now I am curious!

jean95404

Rough_Rock
Remarks attributed to Princess Anne

I enjoy this forum, I really do. Learn so many things that you have to share. My favorite thing is to have a nice cup of tea, kick back and leisurely scroll through the forum.

But, as Bobby pointed out there have been some less than kind things said about people attending the wedding. With regard to those remarks attributed to Princess Anne, I must have watched that specific 5 second spot, in which she and her husband were seen making a couple of remarks, a dozen times. I truly cannot see where she or her husband made the remark about "rags to riches". I have played it in slow motion, had my sister look at it, and just don't see it. Nor did I see a smirk. I see her responding to something her husband said in a couple of brief movements of her lips. However, since I don't believe I have ever seen any of the Royal Family appear to move their jaws when speaking, there isn't that much mouth movement to make lip reading easy.

Enough said... ON TO THE JEWELS!!!!!!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I think it's nice to see Maria Feodorovna's choker after a long time. It was an odd choice with the dress P. Anne wore, but it is a nice piece.

I can't WAIT to see the bling at the Monaco wedding! I'm sure Charlene will look marvelous. July is too far away.

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Remarks attributed to Princess Anne

jean95404|1304456063|2911462 said:
I enjoy this forum, I really do. Learn so many things that you have to share. My favorite thing is to have a nice cup of tea, kick back and leisurely scroll through the forum.

But, as Bobby pointed out there have been some less than kind things said about people attending the wedding. With regard to those remarks attributed to Princess Anne, I must have watched that specific 5 second spot, in which she and her husband were seen making a couple of remarks, a dozen times. I truly cannot see where she or her husband made the remark about "rags to riches". I have played it in slow motion, had my sister look at it, and just don't see it. Nor did I see a smirk. I see her responding to something her husband said in a couple of brief movements of her lips. However, since I don't believe I have ever seen any of the Royal Family appear to move their jaws when speaking, there isn't that much mouth movement to make lip reading easy.

Enough said... ON TO THE JEWELS!!!!!!!!

One lip reader even said she said "Thank you Richard" instead of that other remark. Reading lips is so subjective, not 100%, and invades privacy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results