shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
I just found this photo of CP Mary's wedding tiara. Has the history already been discussed?

Lori

MARYSTIARA.jpg

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Do you know anything about the brooch that Mary is wearing? Looks like a big blue sapphire and diamonds?

Lori

MARYSAPPHIREBROOCH.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
the brooch has a large saphiere in the middle. surrounded by diamonds and some pearls. it comes from crown princess Magrethe of sweden. later queens ingrid and margrethe ii wore the brooch. cp mary get it as a gift for the baptism of prince christian.

the tiara was a gift from queen and prince consort.
a link is found here http://www.royal-magazin.de/daenemark/wedding-tiara-mary.htm

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917 said:
the brooch has a large saphiere in the middle. surrounded by diamonds and some pearls. it comes from crown princess Magrethe of sweden. later queens ingrid and margrethe ii wore the brooch. cp mary get it as a gift for the baptism of prince christian.

Queen Margrethe gave Crown Princess Mary the brooch when Prince Christian was born. She wore it for the first time at his christening.

Is it just me or the Danish royal family has the tradition of giving sapphire jewellery when a baby is born? What do you guys think?

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917 said:
The book said (as I remember) nothing who the emerald got.

Thanks for the additional info about Alexandrine of Denmark's emerald.

alexander1917 said:
back to Alexandra, she also wore the King George Diadem with great impression.

Yes indded. But to be honest, Queen Alexandra looked great with any jewel she wore. BTW, at a time Diana, Princess of Wales had a very similar hairdo and I've often wondered how she'd have looked with the State Diademe or some of QA's tiaras (and other jewels).

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Tonight TM the King & the Queen of Norway hosted a gala dinner for the Members of Parliament in the Royal Palace. TRH the Crown Princely couple and HH Princess Astrid also attended.

The Queen wore the diamond empire tiara, tassel earrings, 2 rivieres and a cross brooch (from Queen Maud's circlet). I must say I'm a bit disappointed by HM's chice of jewels because we already saw this tiara twice this year, the previous time being just last week when she also wore the brooch and necklace. I had hopes to see the pearl tiara in it's grand version and a pearl choker. The dress is one of the best I've see her wearing, though.

The truly glamorous Crown Princess wore her wedding tiara and her long diamond earrings; Princess Astrid opted for the Vasa tiara of her mother, a riviere and a bow brooch:

Here's the link for the entire gallery - http://www.siste.no/bildeserier/article5355691.ece

Bobby

1287687486000_20101021-_9_3495330698x698r.jpg

1287687483000_20101021-_7_3495328698x698r.jpg

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
here is a panel of photos of the swedish Braganca tiara

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8194/bragancadiiademsilvia.jpg
1. queen sodia
2. Queen Victoria
3. Queen Louise
4. Queen Louise
5. Queen Louise
6. Queen Louise, state visit from UK
7. Queen Silvia, first official photo 1976
9. Queen Silvia state visit from UK 1983
10. Queen silvia state visit from Belgium 1994
12. Queen silvia, state visit from the netherlands 1987
13. Queen silvia state visit from japan 2000
14. Queen Silvia state visit in denmark 2007
15. Queen Silvia, official photo 2010?
16. Queen Silvia, the crown princess wedding in sweden

i forgot 2006 when she wore it to her husbands birthday party

does anyone have photo of queen silvia wearing the tiara state visit from norway? without logo

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
the norwigien state visit with logo

TR21837.jpg

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
alexander1917 said:

Queen Margrethe gave Crown Princess Mary the brooch when Prince Christian was born. She wore it for the first time at his christening.

Is it just me or the Danish royal family has the tradition of giving sapphire jewellery when a baby is born? What do you guys think?

Bobby

I don't know if it is a danish tradition. but I remember many jewels which got a symbol to mark some "events". I think for pieces like the Albert brooch (evening before wedding), bracelets with fine stones which first letter's read the name of husband, children and so on...
I think the brith of a heir is always marked with some kind of jewel.

the sapphire here is mayby because boys and blue, girls and pink?? don't know.

I think Di's short hair style - like some others women (countess of wessex) dosn't always match with the larger style of tiara. the discussion about the Dehli Durbar comes in my mind.
For larger pieces you need long hair - or some modern kind of false hair to convert it into a beautiful outfit - like Silvia do.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
alexander1917 said:

Bobby

I don’t know if it is a danish tradition to marke a brith with jewels. But I know that many royals mark “great events” in their live with jewels.
I think here on pieces like the Albert Brooch (given night before wedding) or bracelets with precious stones which first letters read name of husband, children or so on.

The sapphiere could be about the boys/blue – girls pink tradition.

I don’t know if Di’s hairdo will really match the State diadem or larger pieces and short hair. (Camilla, Countess of Wessex)
I think for such larger pieces you need long hair or false hair to convert it into a beautiful hairdo, like Silvia always do when wearing the Leuchtenberg or the Breganza Tiaras.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917 said:
I don’t know if it is a danish tradition to marke a brith with jewels. But I know that many royals mark “great events” in their live with jewels.
I think here on pieces like the Albert Brooch (given night before wedding) or bracelets with precious stones which first letters read name of husband, children or so on.

I don’t know if Di’s hairdo will really match the State diadem or larger pieces and short hair. (Camilla, Countess of Wessex)
I think for such larger pieces you need long hair or false hair to convert it into a beautiful hairdo, like Silvia always do when wearing the Leuchtenberg or the Breganza Tiaras.

Well, I asked if it were a tradition of the Danish royal family because there are quite a lot of examples - Princess Alexandra (now Countess of Fredensborg) was given a diamond and sapphire brooch when her first son was born and a ring when the second was born, The Crown Princess got the large sapphire brooch when Pr. Christian was born and a pink and blue sapphire pendant when Isabell was born. The most recent addition to that list is a diamond and sapphire brooch/pendant given to Princess Marie when her son, Prince Henrik, was born (or at least she wore it after the birth).
I don't know when Queen Margrethe was given the brooch (which she later gave Mary), but it definitely was long before the death of Queen Ingrid. Princess Benedikte also has a large sapphire/diamond brooch, though it may have been an inheritence from her mother. I only don't know if Queen Anne-Marie has any sapphire jewellery.

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
You found so many examples of this - I think there is a tradition.

When I remeber reight Magrethe get the brooch in the late 1960's

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917 said:

But Alexander, you don't need too long hair in order to wer and updo. The Countess of Wessex (which you mention), Princess Diana, The Duchess of Gloucester are some of the best examples I can think of. And BTW, Queen Silvia doesn't always wear the Braganza and the Leuchtenberg diademes with her hair up. HM usually has very nice coiffures, but not necessarely and upswept hairdo. Some of the examples when HM has worn her hair down are the Nobels in 2007 (Nine prong tiara) and the wedding of Crown Princess Victoria (Braganza tiara).

Back to Diana - both she and Queen Alexandra were tall women, good looking and with beautiful figures. This is the photo/occasion I had in mind when I said that they had similar hairdos at a time. And I can actually imagine the late Princess with Queen Alexandra's mystery tiara (amethysts and diamond loops) and the state diademe.

pssdianamargaretbdgala.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917 said:

Glad you agree. It was a speculation on part but turned out to be true.

If the then Princess Margrethe got the brooch in the late 1960's indeed, then it might have been a present for the birth of Prince Frederik ;-)

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Elizabeth II and Prince Philip are on a two day visit to Northen Ireland. Here are the jewels HM has worn so far:

During a visit to UTV Studios - the Kent amethyst brooch:

At a reception in Hillsborough Castle for the Action For Children charity's 10th anniversary - the aqua clips:

In the evevning HM wore the King Faisal necklace, Queen Mary's cluster earrings and a diamond bracelet:

Pacema_23_390510s.jpg

ULSTER_30_390529s.jpg

Queen_Bus_390504s.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today The Queen opened the new Visitors Centre at the Coca-Cola plant - HM wore the paisly brooch:

Bobby

LN Oct10 NI CocaCola2.jpg

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
home sick and nothing to do

lets post some

pendientescartierow7fm6.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Josefine said:

Thanks for these photos, Josefine. The earrings from the second photo, along with a diamond necklace, were a wedding present to Princess Sofia of Greece & Denmark from her husband-to-be Infant Don Juan Carlos. Princess Sofia wore the set at the wedding.

Bobby

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
alexander1917 said:

Well, I asked if it were a tradition of the Danish royal family because there are quite a lot of examples - Princess Alexandra (now Countess of Fredensborg) was given a diamond and sapphire brooch when her first son was born and a ring when the second was born, The Crown Princess got the large sapphire brooch when Pr. Christian was born and a pink and blue sapphire pendant when Isabell was born. The most recent addition to that list is a diamond and sapphire brooch/pendant given to Princess Marie when her son, Prince Henrik, was born (or at least she wore it after the birth).
I don't know when Queen Margrethe was given the brooch (which she later gave Mary), but it definitely was long before the death of Queen Ingrid. Princess Benedikte also has a large sapphire/diamond brooch, though it may have been an inheritence from her mother. I only don't know if Queen Anne-Marie has any sapphire jewellery.

Thank you for the history Bobby! Are there photos of the Danish jewels???

Lori

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav said:
alexander1917 said:

Glad you agree. It was a speculation on part but turned out to be true.

If the then Princess Margrethe got the brooch in the late 1960's indeed, then it might have been a present for the birth of Prince Frederik ;-)

Bobby

Wouldn't that be AWESOME if it were so!

Lori

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
what is known about these jewllery?

6a0133f098e325970b01348f.jpg

6a0133f098e325970b01348.jpg

Josefine

Brilliant_Rock
how about mathildes necklace?

6a0133f098e325970b01348f.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Josefine said:
what is known about these jewllery?

Josefine, at the gala in Berg Castle for the Silver Wedding of The Grand Duke and The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg Princess Letizia wore her aqamarine chandalier earrings and a single stone peandant, which must be an aquamarine as well.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
loriken214 said:
Thank you for the history Bobby! Are there photos of the Danish jewels???

Lori

Hi Lori!

I'm sure you've seen these jewels as photos of each and every of them has been posed on this very topic.

Anyway, here are asome photos:

The Crown Princess' brooch:

and pendant:

Princess Marie's pendant/brooch:

Countess Alexandra (formerly Princess)'s brooch - a gift from Prince Henrik:

5445.jpg

Mary_pendant_chrIsabelle.jpg

2vklv8j.jpg

50562_660_660.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
And now lets see some of the jewels on other royal ladies:

Queen Ingrid and the sapphire brooch from her mother:

*I found this close-up of Mary wearing her sapphire brooch. You just have to love it!

Queen Alexandrine wearing Marie's peandant as brooch:

Queen Margrethe:

625c1b5d.jpg

broochingridsapphirebrooch.jpg

untitledtertert.jpg

sapphirediamondbroochmargretheii.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
BTW, I hope that others will also share their photos. I's fairly certain some other posters have photos of past Danish royal wearing the sapphires:

As you can see the brooch was already altered to peandant by The Queen:

qmiigsls.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results