shape
carat
color
clarity

Royal Jewels

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1289568957|2763221 said:
What is the tiara (second line, second photo) in the Alexandra panel? I don't recognize it. Does anyone have a better picture of it on a different royal lady? Also the tiara (color picture) next to the amyethst piece, what is that? Any history, Bobby?. I don't recognize either of these.

Hi Lorie!
As shadowed_rain already wrote, Queen Alexandra is wearing Queen Victoria's regal circlet, but she's also wearing Queen Victoria's small diamond crown.
Queen Mary wore it at the first Opening of Parliament in her husband's reign (I assume because she didn't have her own crown made at the time):

Here you can find out more about the second unknown-to-you tiara - The Oriental Circlet - http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/e...=oriental+circlet&x=0&y=0&object=200174&row=0

Are the pieces still in tact or have they been split up, too fragile to wear? Thanks as usual.

Out of all these crowns, circlets and tiaras, only the State Diademe, the diamond kokoshnik and the Oriental Circlet are worn by The Queen. The Rundell tiara (1st row/last 2 photos) hasn't been seen since QA's death, only the empty frame of the QV's Reagel Circlet exist today, the other crown was probably artificial and the two amethyst tiaras were left the main line and were later sold.

Hope I helped!
Bobby

QueenMaryCullinansItoIVcropped5458.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
shadowed_rain|1289581795|2763453 said:
These panels are lovely, Cordata, thank you for sharing them with us!

I'm not Bobby, Laurensmama, but I can tell you that the circlet in the second photo of Queen Alexandra is not a tiara, but one of Queen Victoria's regal circlets. Here is the empty frame, and also a picture of Queen Victoria wearing it. I'm familiar with the photo of Queen Alexandra, and it's definitely during the middle-to-late years of her husband's reign (if not after he passed away, not sure about the date).

Hope that helped!

The photo was taken during the lifetime of Edward VII as Queen Alexandra isn't wearing the family order of her son George (V). I also don't know when, though ;-)

LadyMaria|1289591093|2763601 said:
Second Line, second photo...I think you mean the small crown? That looks like a shot of one of the fancy dress balls, like the Devonshire ball of 1897.

Yes, the photo is from the Devonshire costume ball in 1897.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
laurensmama|1289568957|2763221 said:
What is the tiara (second line, second photo) in the Alexandra panel? I don't recognize it. Does anyone have a better picture of it on a different royal lady? Also the tiara (color picture) next to the amyethst piece, what is that? Any history, Bobby?. I don't recognize either of these. Are the pieces still in tact or have they been split up, too fragile to wear? Thanks as usual.

Ooops, just now I realized you were talking about the second row! I'm so sorry. It's not a tiara but a small crown. Having in mind it was a fancy dress ball, Queen Alexandra wore custome jewellery and that this small crown hasn't bees seen since, I'd assume it's an artificial jewel.

A larger photo here - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen-alexandra/india-necklace-alexandra.htm

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Guess what? I'M GOING TO SEE DIANA'S WEDDING DRESS!!!!!!!

AND THE SPENCER TIARA!!!!!!

AND THE SPENCER GREEK MEANDER TIARA!!!!!!

AND WHO KNOWS WHAT ELSE!?!?!!?!?!? :appl:

The exhibit from Althorp is coming to the US and it is going to be in my hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm going to take a day off from school and take a long weekend to fly home to see it in late January/early February. According to the news story, this show has only been in 10 US cities.

http://www.woodtv.com/generic/eightwest/diana-a-celebration

alexander1917

Shiny_Rock
Cordata|1289504115|2761963 said:
prince.of.preslav|1287617373|2742511 said:
Cordata said:
I thought of creating another panel of Queen Alexandra. But I would need everyone's help for collecting pictures and making a list of the tiaras she has worn.
I know about the following:
1. the circlet of her crown worn together with Queen Victoria's small crown
2. the state diadem
3. the Rundell tiara (big and smaller version)
4. the kokoshnik tiara
5. the amethyst tiara
What did I miss?
the Rundell tiara

That's wonderful news, Cordata! Here's what I have to say - Queen Alexandra didn't wear the circlet of her own crown with the small crown - it's the Regal Circlet of Queen Victoria (far more delicate that Alexandra's); There's another amethyst and diamond tiara HM owned, though saddly there aren't photos of her wearing it - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen-alexandra/q-alexandra-amethysts.htm and I'd there's also this crown - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen-alexandra/india-necklace-alexandra.htm and this gold kokoshnik - http://www.royal-magazin.de/england/queen-alexandra/queen-gold-ornaments.htm.

Googd luck with the panel!

Bobby
Thanks for your links and your kind words. It took me quite long to finish my Queen Alexandra tiara panel (real life can be quite busy at times!) I hope you all enjoy it, although it is quite small. But we have to blame dear Queen Alexandra for that. She just didn't leave enough photos of herself with different tiaras. To fill up the panel I even used tiaras which she never which she never wore on a photo: The convertible amethyst necklace tiara which QEQM unfortunately sold, and the Indian circlet tiara. It is said that it was Queen Alexandra who changed the stones from opal to rubies, so I think she must have worn it also. I left out the golden kokoshnik because I didn't want to steal the artwork from the magnificent Royal-Magazine site.

A bit of research about the times of the images.

first row from left to right
1 coronation set (there are some images of QA, differnt camera angle, praying, with pages etc.) 9 August 1902
2 1913
3 1905
4 Silver Wedding Anniversay (could be used from QM wedding day with Queen Louise and Victoria - hard to tell about the background)
5 1883 original with Queen Victoria and Edward, PoW (maybe a collage)

second row
1 during 1880's
2 2 July 1897 Devenshire Costume Ball. the crown should be fake. QA mixed faux and real gems together.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1289696069|2765108 said:

The exhibit from Althorp is coming to the US and it is going to be in my hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan. I'm going to take a day off from school and take a long weekend to fly home to see it in late January/early February. According to the news story, this show has only been in 10 US cities.

Wow, good for you! I'd like to see that. Please report back after you do!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
alexander1917|1289696734|2765119 said:
A bit of research about the times of the images.

first row from left to right
1 coronation set (there are some images of QA, differnt camera angle, praying, with pages etc.) 9 August 1902
2 1913
3 1905
4 Silver Wedding Anniversay (could be used from QM wedding day with Queen Louise and Victoria - hard to tell about the background)
5 1883 original with Queen Victoria and Edward, PoW (maybe a collage)

second row
1 during 1880's
2 2 July 1897 Devenshire Costume Ball. the crown should be fake. QA mixed faux and real gems together.

Thanks Alexander for the research! Your posts are always so informative!

But are you sure #2 is from 1913? I can only see the order of Victoria & Alebert and that of Edward VII.
#4 is from the wedding of The then Duke of York to Princess Mary of Teck, future King George V & Queen Mary. As you say, there are photos of QA with her mother, Queen Louise of Denmark, and daughter Pss Victoria.

Regards,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1289696069|2765108 said:

That's great news, Lady Maria!I hope you have a great time there and please share your views after you visit it.

Bobby

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
I just discovered that I am a decendant of the Anjou's. Does anyone have any pictures of Jewelry worn by them? Or is that too long ago? Thanks!

Cordata

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1289511103|2762376 said:
You're welcome, Cordata! You've created another nice panel! Thanks for posting it here.

But I'll have to correct you - Queen Alexandra's convertable amethyst tiara was sold by her granddaughter Princess Maud, Countess of Southesk's heirs (or rather an heir of an heir). You must be confussing this with a full amethyst and diamond parure from Queen Mary that was allegedly sold by The Queen Mother, though it might well be someone else;-)

Bobby
Uuuups! What was I thinking? Of course I confused it with the amethyst parure of Queen Mary. Thank you for correcting me.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
soberguy|1289837788|2766634 said:
I just discovered that I am a decendant of the Anjou's. Does anyone have any pictures of Jewelry worn by them? Or is that too long ago? Thanks!

Congratulations, soberguy! I only have photos of the current Dukes and ther spouces,, so can't help you much. But it'd be nice to know if you're a descendant of the Counts or the Dukes d'Anjou? Can you tell us the name of an ancestor or at least a century? These can help an other poster or myself to do a small research and see what jewels your ancestors had;-)
Thanks!

Regards,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Cordata|1289845274|2766813 said:
Uuuups! What was I thinking? Of course I confused it with the amethyst parure of Queen Mary. Thank you for correcting me.

No troubles, dear Cordata! We all make mistakes and confuse thinks;-)

I'v always wanted to ask you about the tiara on your avatar - Do you know something about it and would you post the photo here or at least help me with a link where I can see it, please?

Thanks in advance!

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Today Princess Letizia wore a colourful necklace of semi-precious stones at an audience at Zerzuela Palace:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ed7KEPTG8bU/TOFcSpe-0-I/AAAAAAAAE3c/chbs3VASWvk/s1600/3310.jpg

Also today but in Brussels, Princess Astrid, as well as the rest of the RF, apart from The Royal Couple, attended King`s Day at the Cathedral of Brussels. HI&RH wore her massive diamond earrings:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ed7KEPTG8...E2w/hnjotqX4FH8/s1600/album_large_3943324.jpg

Time for some glitter! Saturday evening Crown Princess Victoria attended a dinner for the 300th anniversary of the Royal Science Society, Uppsale Castle. HRH wore the Six Button tiara and simple diamond earrings:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Ed7KEPTG8bU/TOFdan6blvI/AAAAAAAAE3k/a46LmbF-748/s1600/kronprinsessan.jpg

*all photos are from myroyal's

Bobby

RoyalScienceSociety300yearsn.jpg

audZerzP_15nov.jpg

kingsday2010.jpg

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Me> mother> grandmother> great-grandfather> great-great-grandfather> Creech(1828) > Pennington(1806-1277> DePennington (1200 Cheshire, England)> DeLungvillers> Fitzwaine (1145)> Swaine Fitzalaric> Alaric Alaric> Fledalus> Alan Fitz Flaald> Flaald DeDinan> Hamon DeDinon> Roscille de Anjou> Fouques I Count of Anjou> Ingelger I> Tertulle I Anjou> Torquat DeRennes> Hugh de Tours> luitfrud II> Luitefride I> Adalbert DeAlsace> Eticho I of Alsace> Lendisun Steward> Erchambaldus Alsace> Ega Major Domus> Erchnaud DeAlsace> Ausbert DeMoselle> ... and so on and so on lol!

I have left out those few generations for anonymity sake. But that is one of the lines. There are at least three others that lead back, closer in date to royals than the Anjous... I have done none of the research myself, I have simply put in my name, my mothers, and whamo: this. There are so many lines that go back pre 1100. It has been fascinating reading if nothing else lol! I think the Pennington's were peers, but am not sure. At this point I'm only plugging in to the timeline. My fathers family is rumored to be decendants (much more recently than the Anjous) of the Tudors, but I'm waiting for DNA tests. Looking at this thread just made me wonder how far back some of the pieces worn today might have their roots.

Cordata

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1289858011|2767138 said:
Cordata|1289845274|2766813 said:

No troubles, dear Cordata! We all make mistakes and confuse thinks;-)

I'v always wanted to ask you about the tiara on your avatar - Do you know something about it and would you post the photo here or at least help me with a link where I can see it, please?

Thanks in advance!

Bobby
Dear Bobby,

I first saw my avatar tiara on the Spanish Foro Dinastías, and I loved it immediately because I adore emearlds and the meander and wreath pattern with the trallis pattern on top look so delicate and elegant. Admittedly the diamond roses on top look a bit too heavy for the delicate design, but than those central diamonds are such whoppers! Later I found out that that it was auctions by Sotheby's ( http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=159362036 ) and originates from a noble family from Westphalia. Since I am myself from Westphalia (although by no means noble) I thought it would represent me perfectly. Of course I needed a tiara-avatar, you may have noticed that tiaras are my main interest.
Actually I am burning to know from which family it actually originates. But everything that I found out lately was that it had made it's way to the Worst Jewellery thread on TRF, because it is so top-heavy =) Well, I still like it.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Another royal wedding on the horizon, guys!!!

From royal.gov.uk:
The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton.

The full announcement to be found here - http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Overview.aspx

Honestly, I had the feeling that the announcement will be on 20th - The Queen and Prince Philip's wedding day.

Now we can start speculating about the ring. My personal guess is a sapphire or a diamond ring (to keep the Windsor tradition). I'd love to see The Queen Mother's ering or her pearl ring. A new diamond ring is also an option, IMO.

The happy couple:

williamcatherine.JPG

Cordata

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1289909531|2768013 said:
Another royal wedding on the horizon, guys!!!

From royal.gov.uk:
The Prince of Wales is delighted to announce the engagement of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton.

The full announcement to be found here - http://www.royal.gov.uk/LatestNewsandDiary/Overview.aspx

Honestly, I had the feeling that the announcement will be on 20th - The Queen and Prince Philip's wedding day.

Now we can start speculating about the ring. My personal guess is a sapphire or a diamond ring (to keep the Windsor tradition). I'd love to see The Queen Mother's engagement ring or her pearl ring. A new diamond ring is also an option, IMO.

The happy couple:
I was expecting the announcement, but was still so surprised to finally see it! Congratulation to the happy couple!!!
Surely we will see The Ring today. My guess is for all diamond, in order to avoid comparison whith his mother's ring. Gosh, now we can REALLY speculate about her wedding tiara. I soooo hope it is something long-unseen with royal connection.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Cordata|1289904605|2767990 said:
Dear Bobby,

I first saw my avatar tiara on the Spanish Foro Dinastías,......

Thnks a lot, Cordata! That's an interesting story about about your origin and the design/history of this beautiful Westphalian tiara. And I see that we share at least a couple of intrests - emeralds, tiaras in general and meander & olive wreath tiaras in particular.

Regards,
Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Cordata|1289910364|2768024 said:
I was expecting the announcement, but was still so surprised to finally see it! Congratulation to the happy couple!!!
Surely we will see The Ring today. My guess is for all diamond, in order to avoid comparison whith his mother's ring. Gosh, now we can REALLY speculate about her wedding tiara. I soooo hope it is something long-unseen with royal connection.

Well, I was surprised to see it too. When I say it on the GREMB, I couldn't believe it. There've been quite a lot of rumours lately, so it's nice to see that the couple has decided to tie the knot. I do hope it works for both of them!

Regarding the wedding tiara - I do hope to see Queen Alexandra's Rundell tiara and then later the Cambridge Lover's Knot. I also hope that the wedding will be white-tie.

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1289910908|2768033 said:
Cordata|1289910364|2768024 said:

Well, I was surprised to see it too. When I say it on the GREMB, I couldn't believe it. There've been quite a lot of rumours lately, so it's nice to see that the couple has decided to tie the knot. I do hope it works for both of them!

Regarding the wedding tiara - I do hope to see Queen Alexandra's Rundell tiara and then later the Cambridge Lover's Knot. I also hope that the wedding will be white-tie.

Bobby

sorry to disappoint you Bobby, but UK Royal weddings are never white tie in the way we saw in Sweden this year, the only person who will be wearing a tiara will be the bride the Queen will be in pearls, a broach and ear rings. Think of what there was a Charles and Diana's or Andrew and Sarah's weddings, and Anne and Mark's for that matter, or Edward and Sophie.

More interestingly will be the jewels that she is given/loaned etc, not just by the queen, but by the PoW and from William - he inherited a lot from his mother but also may buy new pieces too. I wonder if they will deliberately avoid items like the Lover's Knot tiara as they are associated with the late Diana as there is bound to be comparison already as she is william's bride (rather unfair on her in my opinion). Diamond or sapphire E-ring, possibly welsh gold, but I suspect it will be a Diamond or a new stone for the royals, eg an emerald as the sapphire link to Diana.

And then there is the title. Traditionally this won't be announced until the day of the wedding, I suspect he will be made a Duke of somewhere like Cambridge, Clarence or Sussex or maybe a Scottish title as thy met at university there. Of course we should note that she will NOT be created a princess in her own right and will never legally be "Princess Catherine" as the UK does not do this. Instead she will have the feminine version of William's title "HRH Princess William of Wales" (not the best way of doing things, lets be honest!), hence the need for a title like Duke or Earl to be conferred upon William so Kate can have a more flattering title of Duchess of X until she becomes Princess of Wales and then Queen.

Cordata

Rough_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1289910908|2768033 said:

Bobby
The Rundell tiara would be gorgeous, but it is so grand that I don't think we will see it on a young princess. Actually I would be less surprised to see it on Camilla who is great at pulling off big tiaras. And wouldn't the Cambridge Lover's Knot force all these Diana comparisons which they would rather avoid.
I heard that the Strathmore Rose tiara is in a bad condition, but that could be restored. So I think it might be a possibility and it would lovely on a young women like Kate.
There is also the diamond and sapphire bandeau which Queen Mary bought from Grand Duchess Maria Feodorovna. But imo coloured stones are not the best option for a wedding tiara.
The Teck Crescent tiara should still be in the Queen's possession, that might be another option. We don't really know if the scroll tiara is now owned by Princess Anne, or if it still is owned by Her Majesty. Personally I thing it is too small for the purpose, but you never now. Or maybe the Queen dishes out one of the fringe tiaras? And who knows what else is still hidden in the vaults? Well, we will have a couple of months to speculate about it.

A white tie wedding would be absolutely what I dream about! Unfortunately I fear that they will keep to the newer tradition of having a morning wedding. With the crisis still going on and William only being the heir to the heir this seems more likely to me.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Wel, Neil and Cordata, I guess I was thinking grand and the euphoria was still around me. Af course a morning dress wedding is far more likely than a white-tie one, esp. as I've read that the couple wants a more low key affair. But still I'd be nice to see a break with the tradiotion. And after all most of today's heir's (though William is only #2) weddings were white-tie. No matter what the dresscode will be, however, it well be grand, I'm sure.

The ring - it's almost a tradition for british royals to give sapphire rings to their brides-to-be, though recently diamonds seem to be the trend among them. Using the same nugget that supplied the gold for Lady Elizabeth and Lady Diana's wedding rings would also be nice.

The tiara - the Rundell is a bit too grand for a young woman indeed, but then again Cathering isn't 20yo, is she? When the Earl of Southesk married, his bride wore the Fife tiara; the Lady Ivar Mountbatten wore a large kokoshnik at her wedding; the daughters(-in-law) of the Duchess of Alba also were huge tiaras at their weddings. But I agree that Camilla would look nice with it. That's why on second thought I'd say that a fringe, the scroll tiara or even the Strathmore Rose would also be nice to see.

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Hi Bobby,

Do you have a picture of HM QEQM's e-ring?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Cordata|1289916384|2768160 said:
The Rundell tiara would be gorgeous, but it is so grand that I don't think we will see it on a young princess. Actually I would be less surprised to see it on Camilla who is great at pulling off big tiaras. And wouldn't the Cambridge Lover's Knot force all these Diana comparisons which they would rather avoid.

Yes, it would force comparisons, but that's something I've never been able to understand. Before it was given to Diana it was worn by The Queen and before that by Queen Mary. Did anyone compare Diana to either of these Queens? Or Elizabeth II to her grandmother for that matter? No. It's a piece of jewellery after all... a jewel with familly history and santimental value to the Queen, the Prince of Wales and his children. And just like we marry, have children and eventually die, it will be worn by another person... I hope the future Princess William of Wales woaes it with pride.

Regards!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1289919856|2768255 said:
Hi Bobby,

Do you have a picture of HM QEQM's e-ring?

Yes, I do. Not very clear though. The ring has a large sapphire and some diamonds, HM changed it for a pearl and diamond ring after George VI passed away:

hvh.JPG

kbjk.JPG

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Oh thats a lovely ring. I do hope that they choose to use a ring that has been used before, such as this one or the pearl one QEQM then used (I do like pearls).

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Having earlier said that in terms of title, he is most likely to be created a Duke, an expert on the news here has said yes, most likely a Duke, BUT don't be surprised if she is made a Princess in her own right - "HRH Princess Catherine of Wales". That would be truly historic.

kimchi

Rough_Rock
It is Diana's ring!! It's been confirmed by Clarence House. Will be interesting to see it on a different person, and how she chooses to accessorize. :twirl:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
neil31uk|1289922310|2768307 said:
Having earlier said that in terms of title, he is most likely to be created a Duke, an expert on the news here has said yes, most likely a Duke, BUT don't be surprised if she is made a Princess in her own right - "HRH Princess Catherine of Wales". That would be truly historic.

If she's going to be created a Princess of her own right, then she won't be of Wales. She'll be a princess of the United Kingdom, Northen Irelan, etc. By marriage she'll be HRH Princess William of Wales, of course.

kimchi|1289926309|2768441 said:
It is Diana's ring!! It's been confirmed by Clarence House. Will be interesting to see it on a different person, and how she chooses to accessorize. :twirl:

Not what I really wanted to hear, but I'm not William after all. And it's a beautiful ring, isn't it? It obviously means a lot to the Prince. Waiting for the photos to come.

Bobby

neil31uk

Shiny_Rock
Well yes she will be a Princess of the UK, as is William now. However, if the Prince/Princess is not a spouse/sibling/child of the reigning monarch, they ALWAYS have a house name at the end. E.g. Prince Michael of Kent. So she would have to have "of Wales" added to the end of he title if a princess.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results