shape
carat
color
clarity

Rookie in search of sapphire

HopeJon

Rough_Rock
Well my wife is always on this site. She's the "expert", and I know nothing. Now I'm sneaking in requesting a little help, and a little short on time. I thought I could do some research and learn what I needed to make an informed and wise decision, but it's much harder than I anticipated.
Here are my loose parameters.
Blue sapphire, shape doesn't really matter, but I would like a heart shape first, then probably cushion or maybe a pear.
Budget $3000.
It probably doesn't matter if it's heated. I don't think she would care. She says cut matters the most but she's referring to diamonds I believe. I'm not sure if cut is most important in sapphires.
She loves her "projects", so I think a single stone is the best option. Plus, did I say I'm out of time?? :)
I think I need a trusted vendor/AGL report before I drop $3000 on the internet and trusting you all to point me in the right direction.
Here's one that caught my eye. What do you think?
This one is a good bit over budget, but I can't find many hearts.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Jon

Welcome to the forum, Jon! These are my favorite posts... hubbies shopping for gifts. :D I like the stone you chose. If you'd like something a bit lighter in tone, without the checkerboard crown, here is another option. It's not yet certified, but Marc is a very reputable and trusted vendor on this site. He also regularly offers 20% discounts on list prices. So you'd be coming in just under your budget of $3k. He also has a very generous return policy (he covers all shipping costs). Good luck!

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not sure if cut is most important in sapphires.

Colour is most important in sapphires. Cut is important with regards to obvious flaws - windows, extinction, the like.

The one you've initially selected is dark. That's not a bad thing all in itself, but most people will not like it. You have to have a taste for it. I'm saying it as someone who has such a stone and never takes it off, that's how much I adore it.

What most people would prefer is a stone with what we call open colour - one that doesn't close, that doesn't darken and black out. Allow me to give you some examples of stones other PSers have shared:
1. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-5-54-ct-sapphire-is-here-and-she-is-blue.207113/
2. https://www.pricescope.com/communit...cean-or-gemoceanltd-great-experiences.272928/
3. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/silky-blue-sapphire-finds-her-home.268173/
There are others, of course, but these three were at my fingertips already.

This is why the stone @Autumn in New England showed you would be universally preferred by most. Now, you know your wife best and can gauge her tastes. Perhaps she likes a deep colour, perhaps she prefers something on the lighter side. If you go with what she wants, she's sure to love it.

HopeJon

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the responses! Both of you showed me lighter stones, and I did think the one I posted was pretty dark.
On one other note, I wonder if I am putting too tight of restraints on her project if I get a heart. (I do love the heart you posted, @Autumn in New England) Maybe a cushion or even an emerald cut would give her more options on settings in either a pendant or ring. I do love those emerald cuts. They look like a deep, dark pool that you could just dive right into! I know these options are a good bit over my listed budget, but I'm afraid I may have to go over to get what I want. And I can't ask her opinion, because it's a surprise.
I have read about the inclusions, but I'm not sure if the flashes of white and dark I see are inclusions or just normal facets.

Jon

I love me a good emerald cut too! Just be aware that squares and rectangles will face up smaller than other shapes in the same weight (because the pavilions are heavier). I'm not sure how important that is to you. But by bumping your budget up to $5k, you've certainly expanded your options. The 1.27ct. seems to have the best saturation, but I detect some color zoning, so just be careful of that. The 2.11ct. has the next best color (from what I can tell of the photos). We never know how the gem is actually going to look in person. Since you're in a bit of a crunch (which is always tricky when gem shopping), I suspect you don't have time for returns. So be sure to ask lots of questions and don't be afraid to request additional photos/videos. Also, @Avondale gave you great advice! Best of luck... I look forward to seeing what you ultimately choose!!

If you do go with a heart, BTW, I love this type of halo. I've had it saved in my inspiration folder for a while... alas, I still don't own the heart of my dreams.
violin2.gif

s-l160034576.jpg

HopeJon

Rough_Rock
1Wow, that's an amazing and unique ring! You've set the bar high :love:

I can't figure out which stone you're referring to as 1.27ct, but one of the emeralds is 2.11, so I know which one you are referring to there.

If she doesn't love it, I'm sure I could still return it and tell her to pick out something else, but I sure hope to do better than that!

I keep meaning to call these retailers but I've been very busy with work. That's why I'm just posting early and late. Are there any other you would recommend? I have looked through the preferred vendor thread. I've got to do some “legwork" tomorrow! I'll let you know what progress I make. Thank you!
Jon

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be inclined to buy the stone, present it to the lucky lady, for her to decide on the setting myself.

Gary at Finewater Gems has a few Sapphire listed ready to ship that may suit:

I know Jeff W has a huge inventory of Sapphire roughs in all sorts of colours, however, it would take time for him to custom-cut one especially this time of the year!

Good luck!

DK :))

HopeJon

Rough_Rock
Man I wish I hadn't waited til the last minute! Thanks @dk168 for the other sources.
Quick question: the first emerald cut that I posted earlier, 2.03ct, looks like it has brush strokes in it. Is that just something from the camera/surroundings, or would it really be so noticeable in person?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick question: the first emerald cut that I posted earlier, 2.03ct, looks like it has brush strokes in it.

Do you mean the 2.11? I don't see any 2.03 mentioned.

HopeJon

Rough_Rock
That's weird. Ok, the description in the link says 1.27ct round roulette cut, but when you go there it is 2.03ct.

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
the first emerald cut that I posted earlier, 2.03ct, looks like it has brush strokes in it. Is that just something from the camera/surroundings, or would it really be so noticeable in person?

It looks to be colour zoning. It's very obvious in the photo, less obvious but still visible in the video, so yeah, it will be noticeable in person. How much it would bother you or your wife is a matter of preference.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's weird. Ok, the description in the link says 1.27ct round roulette cut, but when you go there it is 2.03ct.

This is the link to the first stone, which is a 2.03ct Octagon step cut in the actual listing:

1666191737435.png

My first thought based on the photo alone was silk, however, the video appears to show the stone is transparent. Therefore, I too believe it is zoning.

However, I am not an expert by any mean!

DK :))

HopeJon

Rough_Rock
Ok, I talked to Marc at Africa Gems and he was great! This is actually my favorite https://www.africagems.com/sapphire-emerald-2-11-201812830.html
I sent an email to Jeff at WhitesGems.com and waiting to hear back, but I don't think there was anything on the website ready to ship that was "the one."
Finewater Gems has less on their site and they get $$$ quick.
And Gemfix doesn't have exactly what I want right now.
I'm comfortable with him and his return policy. I don't know of any reason now to buy that stone. I know I'm already ahead of the game getting a loose stone from a Pricescope recommended vendor.
What do you think? Any glaring problems with this option?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
same stone is available at pearlmans at a different price but they also have a different shipping/return policy.

up to you which is “worth” it for your individual situation.

fun project and what a lucky wife!

Ok, I talked to Marc at Africa Gems and he was great! This is actually my favorite https://www.africagems.com/sapphire-emerald-2-11-201812830.html
I sent an email to Jeff at WhitesGems.com and waiting to hear back, but I don't think there was anything on the website ready to ship that was "the one."
Finewater Gems has less on their site and they get $$$ quick.
And Gemfix doesn't have exactly what I want right now.
I'm comfortable with him and his return policy. I don't know of any reason now to buy that stone. I know I'm already ahead of the game getting a loose stone from a Pricescope recommended vendor.
What do you think? Any glaring problems with this option?

No obvious issues that I can detect! I do see a subtle feather in the upper left corner, but Marc lists this stone as eye clean. So I'm confident it will not be visible in person. I think it's probably also a good idea to ask for additional photos and videos before you commit (I would plan for the stone to be a bit less saturated in person). Also, be sure to ask Marc for a 20% coupon as a first time customer. That will bring your costs down to $3,435.20. The last thing I want to mention is that, since you were initially looking for a heart, are you sure your wife would prefer an emerald-cut instead? :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No obvious issues that I can detect! I do see a subtle feather in the upper left corner, but Marc lists this stone as eye clean. So I'm confident it will not be visible in person. I think it's probably also a good idea to ask for additional photos and videos before you commit (I would plan for the stone to be a bit less saturated in person). Also, be sure to ask Marc for a 20% coupon as a first time customer. That will bring your costs down to $3,435.20. The last thing I want to mention is that, since you were initially looking for a heart, are you sure your wife would prefer an emerald-cut instead? :)
Since they run sales periodically like that % off, I’d ask that on future transactions as well. Not just the first! :)

HopeJon

Rough_Rock
Is there increased risk of it cracking with the feather in the corner? Is it something that would concern you?
She would probably prefer the step cut. I think that was more my inclination for a surprise gift, but the heart would be a wildcard I believe.
I did mention the 20%. Thank you for that!
So when you say "less saturated, that is just less color basically, right? Less blue?

Is there increased risk of it cracking with the feather in the corner? Is it something that would concern you?
She would probably prefer the step cut. I think that was more my inclination for a surprise gift, but the heart would be a wildcard I believe.
I did mention the 20%. Thank you for that!
So when you say "less saturated, that is just less color basically, right? Less blue?

That type of feather should be no issue at all with regard to durability, and it would not deter me at all from purchasing. So, when we talk about color, we have hue, tone, and saturation. The hue is the actual shade... in this case, blue or maybe even very slightly violetish-blue (which is a good thing). The tone is how light or dark the stone is... in this case, medium (also good). The saturation refers to how vibrant and pure the hue is... ideally, we want the least amount of gray (for cool-hued shades) and brown (for warm-hued shades). Marc has this stone listed as vivid (the top saturation designation). But I find that these vendor photos often show greater saturation than is present in person. It's sort of the nature of the beast. I just wanted to give you a heads up as a newbie. :)

You're a quick study, my friend! For future reference, you'd likely see it written as slvB 5/6 or simply B 5/6. :) I love this seller (below) because they actually use the GIA color grading system in their listings. Yes, there's always a subjective component, but I feel like I can compare apples to apples, color-wise. I hope your dear wife loves whichever stone you ultimately choose!! Please be sure to come back and share it once set.

HopeJon

Rough_Rock
You bet! Everyone has been extremely helpful! I'll let you know what I get, then I'll bring my wife in once she gets it. You've known exactly how to help with my experience level. No wonder my wife likes this place so much! Thank you, thank you!
Jon

HopeJon

Rough_Rock
@Autumn in New England I'm waiting on pictures/video of the emerald cut from AfricaGems.
And, Jeff W said he would have time to recut one for me, if I decided quickly. Those are a little more money, but I get the impression that they are going to be nicer. He said they're not cut well right now, but he could fix that. He said also, "There are just a few very very small fingerprint/veil type inclusions and a tiny feather or two, and even some of that will cut out. Very very clean for blues of this size."

Re-cut to step cuts...
Jon

Last edited:
Ooooo I really fancy that second one, in particular, though they're both nice. The cut looks great too (not much of a window that I can detect, so think hard on a recut). I don't want to throw you, but I think the color of these might be better than Marc's (in person). I'm not certain, of course, but that's my feeling.

P.S. It's perfectly within PS policies to post these types of videos and photos. And I've never known a vendor to protest. But if it would make you more comfortable, you can always ask them if it's ok to share their media. :)

HopeJon

Rough_Rock
You must be like me, "Ooo, Ooo but look at this one! It's really nice and only twice as much money!" :bigsmile:
The video I got from Marc, the stone looks like it goes dark a good bit when moving it around in the light. Much more so than this second one of Jeff's especially. I wanted it recut into a step cut. I can't tell what they are now. I don't like a bunch of facets, because it seems to make them look "cloudy" in some lighting/angles, but it looks like these don't have a lot...? My eye is untrained, but it's pretty good at recognizing nice stuff :)

I don't see the vid anymore, but from what I can recall of Jeff's second stone, it was a cushion mixed brilliant cut. So, yes, brilliants will display more sparkle, and step cuts have a cleaner glint to them. I love and own both. I would need to see more of the stone (to get a better idea of the cut quality), but I would be hesitant to recut unless there is a glaring issue. Also, a full recut from brilliant to step may result in a greater loss of weight/size (and value), while still paying the same price. These are all things to consider. But we want what we want!

P.S. We always seem to start with one budget and then end up doubling it or worse! This place does that to you. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results