shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Risky buy paid off... OEC goodness

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS the only thing is I would hate to see you spend retail on a modern H&A right now! The prices are bananas!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1320527258|3054747 said:
DS the only thing is I would hate to see you spend retail on a modern H&A right now! The prices are bananas!

The thing is, my current diamond would sell for a lot more than the replacement. However, I am totally in agreement that it is best to sell high and buy low! It's just that I have a big anniversary in Dec. and I was hoping to get my rings straightened out! The solitaire was for an anniversary 5 years ago so that doesn't count! But I was going to use the rest toward another ring of some kind.

I know I should just be patient. :saint: :loopy:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1320523610|3054726 said:
Dreamer, you helped me a lot sorting out whether an AVR or AVC would be better. Someone else who has seen AVR's had told me they are perfection. I think we haven't seen more here because his supply of those is less plentiful.

Yssie, I appreciate your observations as well.

At this point, I am feeling like I should either go with a smaller H&A stone in a Tiffany repro so I can wear it with the Legacy band, or go with an AVR and get a setting like this BK or have it custom made by Victor:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/after-much-deliberation-i-found-the-stone-now-the-ring.160811/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/after-much-deliberation-i-found-the-stone-now-the-ring.160811/[/URL]

The thing is, I can probably always buy more antique rings with OEC's. I love my new little transitional ring a lot. It reminds me of the Van Craeynest ring I liked, which is a reason that I really don't need a VC now.

Looking forward to seeing your new ring and band! Pawn shops are fun, aren't they?!

DS what is it about the branded AVR that draws you, do you mind me asking? Is it the branding, the precision of cut, the availability and ease of purchase, some combination of the above - or something else?

I didn't realize your daughter was so close to her due date - congratulations! I'll be wishing her a safe and quick delivery ::)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Yssie!!! I hope so too because she has had a difficult pregnancy (baby is fine). A nice ending would be great!

Hmm, yes, the perfect cut, light return, reliable vendor, etc. is what would draw me to the AVR. However, I am beginning to think that cost-wise, it would be smarter to buy the ideal cut stone new and focus on old stones for an OEC since those can still occasionally be picked up for less money. I am also beginning to think that there is no way I can decide on any other types of diamonds without seeing them and comparing them to a H&A/ideal cut. I know what a great light-reflector an ideal cut stone is, and I am not sure I can give that up!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1320540831|3054912 said:
Thank you, Yssie!!! I hope so too because she has had a difficult pregnancy (baby is fine). A nice ending would be great!

Hmm, yes, the perfect cut, light return, reliable vendor, etc. is what would draw me to the AVR. However, I am beginning to think that cost-wise, it would be smarter to buy the ideal cut stone new and focus on old stones for an OEC since those can still occasionally be picked up for less money. I am also beginning to think that there is no way I can decide on any other types of diamonds without seeing them and comparing them to a H&A/ideal cut. I know what a great light-reflector an ideal cut stone is, and I am not sure I can give that up!

I wonder... If you do the trade with GOG, maybe keeping all transactions with the same vendor would afford you a more generous trade...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1320542557|3054937 said:
diamondseeker2006|1320540831|3054912 said:

I wonder... If you do the trade with GOG, maybe keeping all transactions with the same vendor would afford you a more generous trade...

If I sell with him on consignment and then buy another stone there, the consignment fee is very small. That is where I would come out best. But if I found a similar diamond for a couple thousand less somewhere else, I could end up about the same. I think I want a 1.25-1.40 F or G VS1. Probably G VS1 at least 7.0mm. GOG does not have any at the moment other than an AVR 1.29 F VS1. BG has a 1.35 G that is about perfect, but it is pricey. I wish he had one with fluoro to bring the price down!!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, you found a gold band for $50?! You are the queen of steals!! Can't wait to see your new set.

And thanks again for the tip on selling my RB. I never would have known about this if it weren't for you. :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS I have not seen an AVR, so cannot comment on how they compare to a true old cut, but you can fidn deals on OECs if you are willing to hunt. I don't know if you are though! I am *thoroughly* enjoying the optics of my OEC, though, and as you can see from the pictures I posted it is by no means "perfect" in terms of optics. There is some leakage under the table that is common with these cuts. But in daily wear, I do not notice it or care. In an RB I think perfection is more important because of the symmetry and precision of the cut, and the nature of the light play. But in old cuts the patterning is so much more random, as Yssie characterized it, that I personally don't think that perfection is required to thoroughly enjoy and old cut stone. That said, I do think diamonds like the one I have found here are needles in haystacks. It is very colorless, loupe clean at 10x, and has great faceting. I have made ebay a bit of a hobby in the last couple months and have not seen another that looked this good, maybe a few others but not many. Vendors like Diamond Zone do get really good product in, but you pay a little more too, and I notice they do not have much above 1ct. There are some other vendors that have spectacular merchandise but they charge for it. So unless you enjoy the hunt and a deal, an AVR is not only optically more safe but easier to find too!

DS I know the magic of 7mm, but I suggest you think about looking for a stone right under the 1.2ct mark, which would still be about 6.8mm and would be indistinguishable from a 7mm stone once set, but would cost significantly less!

Patience woman. Patience. It will pay off to wait for the right thing!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1320548338|3054994 said:
Dreamer, you found a gold band for $50?! You are the queen of steals!! Can't wait to see your new set.

And thanks again for the tip on selling my RB. I never would have known about this if it weren't for you. :)

I am glad you are happy! Do you have plans to buy something else or will you just roll around in the money on your bed like Scrooge McDuck?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1320549004|3055002 said:

I am glad you are happy! Do you have plans to buy something else or will you just roll around in the money on your bed like Scrooge McDuck?

Hee! Well, I'm working on a reset of my .98 carat Leo. It's going in a halo most likely because she needs a lil' size boost. :bigsmile: I'll eventually buy another stone, but right now I'm enjoying this new freedom of being able to start over. Part of the fun is the hunt, which I know you love too. I love the AVCs, so I'm leaning towards one of those in a J color, but also checking JbEG's website in case any killer secondhand ring deals pop up. My new budget will be around 7k, and I'll save the rest of the cash from the sale. At least the crazy price increases were kind to those of us trying to sell! I hope another PSer gets my stone, that'd be cool.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Dreamer! Very good suggestions for sure! I am open to all of them!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
DD-if (when) you ever do sell this one please let me know first!!!! I would buy it in a heartbeat :love: :Up_to_something: ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Bella I will put you on the list, there are about 4 or 5 so far ;-) See, you don't need an upgrade policy if you buy diamonds for such a good deal, you can sell them on your own and make back your investment! haha

I have a little video of this diamond that really shows the facet play. WIsh I could link it here!

Laila a halo is such a great idea. I don't know if you remember me saying this, I have said it a few times, but I was in Tiffany once and tried on the Tiffany embrace with a .75ct center. It is a halo, and I was very dismayed to see how it had the same hand presence as my 1.67ct solitaire! :o This OEC has a cute little gold halo and though it is not the same as a diamond halo, it does give the appearance of more spread. I love it. If I reset this ston, which I may or may not do, we'll see, it would definitely go into a halo, probably somethig by Beverly K.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK the last few days have been hectic so I have not been able to get a good photo shoot but will do so soon I promise! But here is a lame hand shot I took in poor lighting. The diamond is 5.9mm, the rings are size 6.5, both shanks 2mm. I :love: the yellow gold, seriously so lux and rich looking, I am a convert. No more white gold for me! Yellow or platinum all the way.

I feel like the diamond looks really big, I am just over the moon pleased. When I sold my rb and was looking for a downgrade, I was originally looking at buying an Rb or AVR that was about 5.7mm for about $4500! I could not stomach the cost for such a "small" diamond and knew the bling factor would not be enough, so I got my Aurora for about the same price. Love that band and the bling it gives. And now I ALSO have an OEC that is the same size as the diamonds I was thinking of buying originally!! So cool. Now I have three different "wedding sets" I can wear as the fancy strikes (Aurora, OEC set, and baby rings) and I am totally loving the variety.

ddhand.jpg

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
DD-It has a ton of presence and looks gorgeous!!!! The yellow gold looks great on you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it, too, Dreamer! Variety is nice! I am enjoying my little antique ring and can wear it with my mom's under 2mm platinum band!

You are right about new diamond prices now. They are just crazy.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your new ring! I also like the contrast between the yellow gold metal and the diamond.

Would like to see the ring close up with the wedding band - that's my picture request!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1320549004|3055002 said:

hahahah!!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1320561154|3055088 said:
OK the last few days have been hectic so I have not been able to get a good photo shoot but will do so soon I promise! But here is a lame hand shot I took in poor lighting. The diamond is 5.9mm, the rings are size 6.5, both shanks 2mm. I :love: the yellow gold, seriously so lux and rich looking, I am a convert. No more white gold for me! Yellow or platinum all the way.

I feel like the diamond looks really big, I am just over the moon pleased. When I sold my rb and was looking for a downgrade, I was originally looking at buying an Rb or AVR that was about 5.7mm for about $4500! I could not stomach the cost for such a "small" diamond and knew the bling factor would not be enough, so I got my Aurora for about the same price. Love that band and the bling it gives. And now I ALSO have an OEC that is the same size as the diamonds I was thinking of buying originally!! So cool. Now I have three different "wedding sets" I can wear as the fancy strikes (Aurora, OEC set, and baby rings) and I am totally loving the variety.

all three of your sets are stunning! I have to agree- having the variety is nice- you can mix things up and satisfy the need for change. I would DIE for a second set--- either a stepcut or a yellow diamond in a white diamond halo :naughty: someday

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella_mezzo|1320552229|3055040 said:
DD-if (when) you ever do sell this one please let me know first!!!! I would buy it in a heartbeat :love: :Up_to_something: ;))

agreed! I guess you can put me 6th in line :bigsmile:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Laila- I didnt know you should your RB- the halo set one??

HeatherL

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer, your new set looks great on you! The stone is a nice size and looks substantial on your hand. I love yellow gold, I think it really makes the diamond stand out. Congratulations!!!

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your new set. It is stunning and I agree that the yellow gold is so luxe!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer, the set is beautiful! I love the yummy yellow gold. :love: Very elegant and luxurious. A Beverley K reset down the road would be amazing too. I've never seen a Bev K I didn't love.

Amys Bling|1320597096|3055226 said:
Laila- I didnt know you should your RB- the halo set one??

Hi, Amy, I did! Dreamer selling hers got me thinking...and because of the insane diamond prices now, I was able to sell for almost 1k more than DH and I paid for it. It was just too good of an offer to pass up! I think the only reason it worked out though is because it was an AGS ideal cut with great numbers. Like my IGI diamond...? those certs are worthless basically so I would not have been able to get anything for that one. Sorry for the threadjack.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
INSANELY gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
INSANELY gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats!!! :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

It looks HUGE!!!! And I know what you mean about gold feeling so luxe... The buttery yellow just looks like a million bucks. I love the current setting, too! The set is just TDF!!!!! Wow, you have three amazing sets now! Lucky lady - and SMART, too! :appl:

Brava! Brava!!! :appl: Well played, madame!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Ack! $1200! Fantastic deal Dreamer! I love the whole set, as is. It's too bad the setting doesn't fit as well.

MrsM

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely beautiful. In love with the facets on that stone!! I love how it looks in the yellow gold setting too--are you still thinking of resetting it?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
MrsM|1320632459|3055740 said:
Absolutely beautiful. In love with the facets on that stone!! I love how it looks in the yellow gold setting too--are you still thinking of resetting it?

Not right now, I don't have any money anyways ;-) If I keep this stone I will likely reset, or I will sell it and upgrade. No idea what the future holds! For now I am just enjoying it as it is!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The band and the OEC together look Beautiful!!!!!!! Im also a yellow gold fan. ;)) You have a gorgeous collection!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results