shape
carat
color
clarity

Question: would you wear this as a daily or not?

sth66

Rough_Rock
Wow. It’s gorgeous, but much too big if your not wanting attention. I’m not a flashy person and would not feel comfortable wearing it.

dgojill

Rough_Rock
I mean I guess I could return the big oval… would be sad though considering it’s such a nice little piece. Wife says the 3ct pear is enough. I think the idea of the big oval hasn’t completely become natural yet.

No means no. It’s simply too big, especially for a petite person. I’m willing to bet that your wife would enjoy a variety of smaller pieces that suit her, rather than a large stone that doesn’t.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Pros:

Hell's bells, let's face it. The giant oval is freaking on-steroids fantabulicious!!!

Cons:
She doesn't prefer it.

It is so large that many people would feel obnoxiously nouveau riche wearing it.

It is so large that it could easily make your home or your wife herself a target for criminals --- who go everywhere she goes.

It may well lose a whole lot of its value. Lab diamonds are expected, I believe, to come way down in price as the technology improves and more manufacturers get into the game.

She doesn't prefer it.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Clearly, there is only one way to remove the temptation of giving it to her anyway. Send it to seaurchin. :bigsmile:

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I have a thing about proportion. I saw a slender woman at a plastic surgeon's office years ago who had two sets of implants in each breast. (no, you can't do that, her skin was dehisced at the incisions).
I apologize for the graphic analogy. If she wants it, fine and bless you for buying it for her. But to me, your 1.5 ACA is perfection. Heaven on earth.

ariaaaa

Rough_Rock
This might be a hot take, but from following this thread over the last day or so, I get the sense that OP wants to spoil his wife with their 10 year upgrade and that OP himself (and not necessarily his wife) has fallen in love with the incredibly beautiful chonk of an oval.

@joey_v I don't get the sense that your wife loves the oval nearly as much as you do, and I also get the sense that you really like the idea of her having / wearing this enormous diamond as an outwardly recognizable symbol of your love for her and are a little reluctant to let the stone go because of it.

I know you originally planned to keep both the oval and the pear, but it sounds like there might be a sweet spot with a slightly larger pear that can be worn more frequently, and you have an opportunity to upgrade again at the 15 year mark once the DSS sets in. By then, who knows, maybe lab diamonds will be cheaper, or there's another shape that your wife would want!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Seeing the diamonds on her hand, I can see why she likes the pear! It's a very flattering shape IMO which is one reason I love mine (1.4 carats so considerably smaller, but still gets occasional comments at work due to where I live/practice). The oval is huge and beautifully cut and if she loved it I would say "go for it"... but i think the carat size leads to it being set rather high off the hand and being harder to get used to.

I am inclined to think keep the pear, or a slightly larger pear, and then invest in a few other staple items if the doesn't have them. Does she have a great set of diamond studs, a tennis bracelet, an eternity band for the right hand, would she want nice hoops? That kind of thing. Or, if money really is no object, set the pear in a pendant for special occasions and you can reset it as a ring down the line if you want.

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
This might be a hot take, but from following this thread over the last day or so, I get the sense that OP wants to spoil his wife with their 10 year upgrade and that OP himself (and not necessarily his wife) has fallen in love with the incredibly beautiful chonk of an oval.

@joey_v I don't get the sense that your wife loves the oval nearly as much as you do, and I also get the sense that you really like the idea of her having / wearing this enormous diamond as an outwardly recognizable symbol of your love for her and are a little reluctant to let the stone go because of it.

I know you originally planned to keep both the oval and the pear, but it sounds like there might be a sweet spot with a slightly larger pear that can be worn more frequently, and you have an opportunity to upgrade again at the 15 year mark once the DSS sets in. By then, who knows, maybe lab diamonds will be cheaper, or there's another shape that your wife would want!

Wow
Completely spot on… I’m impressed.

My wife has this idea of how an oval should look like but once she saw it, she’s hesitant because of the attention it might draw… but I was like I spent 2 months finding this exact one and it finally fits the proportions of all the pictures you sent me. Why am I going to send it back?

But I agree… she’s the one wearing it so it will be what it will be.

These are the 3 pics she sent me:
B0771415-6C04-4256-8B55-41D58112F8D9.png

Attachments

• 842B6BCA-A62B-491F-AFF3-7E7319497893.png
    842B6BCA-A62B-491F-AFF3-7E7319497893.png
    660.9 KB · Views: 35
  • C3F14402-1472-4B26-9D9F-57D361FC46D2.png
    C3F14402-1472-4B26-9D9F-57D361FC46D2.png
    568.9 KB · Views: 35

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Seeing the diamonds on her hand, I can see why she likes the pear! It's a very flattering shape IMO which is one reason I love mine (1.4 carats so considerably smaller, but still gets occasional comments at work due to where I live/practice). The oval is huge and beautifully cut and if she loved it I would say "go for it"... but i think the carat size leads to it being set rather high off the hand and being harder to get used to.

I am inclined to think keep the pear, or a slightly larger pear, and then invest in a few other staple items if the doesn't have them. Does she have a great set of diamond studs, a tennis bracelet, an eternity band for the right hand, would she want nice hoops? That kind of thing. Or, if money really is no object, set the pear in a pendant for special occasions and you can reset it as a ring down the line if you want.
I’m on a mission to set it as low as possible, likely will need to open up the basket to set the culet as low as into the region of the shank itself. My goal is to have the top of the crown be no more than 6mm from the skin.

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Pros:

Hell's bells, let's face it. The giant oval is freaking on-steroids fantabulicious!!!

Cons:
She doesn't prefer it.

It is so large that many people would feel obnoxiously nouveau riche wearing it.

It is so large that it could easily make your home or your wife herself a target for criminals --- who go everywhere she goes.

It may well lose a whole lot of its value. Lab diamonds are expected, I believe, to come way down in price as the technology improves and more manufacturers get into the game.

She doesn't prefer it.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Clearly, there is only one way to remove the temptation of giving it to her anyway. Send it to seaurchin. :bigsmile:

I had to double take about the send it to seaurchin comment…. Hahaha

As for value, I care not.

If in another 10 years she really demonstrates that she likes the oval at that size, I would just get her a full out 6 carat D EGD. Especially since I would know it’s not going to waste.

Or vis a vis, get a 5 carat D pear EGD.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I’m they only one that prefers the oval and she wants the pear, send it to me! I have my 42 nd anniversary Sept 13. My husband won’t mind you sending me a gift!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
I had to double take about the send it to seaurchin comment…. Hahaha

As for value, I care not.

If in another 10 years she really demonstrates that she likes the oval at that size, I would just get her a full out 6 carat D EGD. Especially since I would know it’s not going to waste.

Or vis a vis, get a 5 carat D pear EGD.

I missed it… is keeping both an option?

MightyDucks

Rough_Rock
Looking at a picture of a ring on someone else’s hand and wearing it in real life are so different. If it was me picking I would choose the pear as well. I think the pear you picked out is stunning and gorgeous! It will still be a head turner and she will get lots of compliments. You shouldn’t feel any shame in sending back the oval if thats what she desires!

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
Oval is one I hope to have one day, but I want it bezel set and with some type of ornate halo or design around it so my stone would need to be smaller.

That said, she’s looking at these stones unset. They will look different once they are at the correct height and they have a bezel (as you mentioned) or prongs. I have a 1.55ct pear that looks huge in its setting. (It’s a VERY ornate setting.) It holds its own against my 2.78ct round.

I guess my point is that while the numbers (carats) sound great, they are a very small part of the puzzle. It’s about the stone, the proportions, and the setting when it comes down to what draws us in. She could have a smaller oval or larger pear and add a little drama to the setting. Or she may just love the look of a simple solitaire. But either way, it’s only her eyes that can determine “the one”. I hope she can find what makes her heart sing.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
If you love it and they're not going to turn your heat off for non-payment, keep it!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
If you find that the oval doesn't get worn as much as the pear, say in 2-3 years, I'd be happy to take it off your hands :)

Blake Lively is 5'8, with long fingers and a 12 ct oval, I'm 5'7 with similar proportions, so I KNOW I can handle a 6-7ct oval!

didiamond

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the posters that say yes, yes, yes! I am ALL IN on that oval!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: She can wear it when she feels like it (even if she’s naked running around the house wearing only the oval!:lol-2:)

Personally, I’m a very casual person and I wear what I feel like wearing big or small. It’s what makes me happy!

I hope she keeps it and enjoys every carat of it!

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the posters that say yes, yes, yes! I am ALL IN on that oval!! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2: She can wear it when she feels like it (even if she’s naked running around the house wearing only the oval!:lol-2:)

Personally, I’m a very casual person and I wear what I feel like wearing big or small. It’s what makes me happy!

I hope she keeps it and enjoys every carat of it!

I hope she decides to keep it. It is truly stunning in person.

Plus, if she likes it a lot, it’ll set her up for maybe a D EGD someday

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
It’s kinda interesting really.

I had some colleagues whose wives asked for a diamond ring. Most were annoyed. On the other hand, I was glad to be placed on a mission.

It’s always nice to be lucky enough to be able to get something like this for someone. It means there’s someone special in our lives.

LGD or EGD. Still is forever.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
I think both stones are gorgeous! I don’t the oval is too much especially in a low key setting like you are thinking of. As long as she loves it.

I have swooned over certain things for years but then seeing them in person and on your hand it’s a whole different thing. Seems like the pear shape is her preference, it happens.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Having seen it on her hand I revise my opinion. On MY hand it would look silly - it actually looks very proportional on her - especially with her lovely tan!

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock
I would for sure wear the 6.75ct oval daily. I love large diamonds, and don't personally find that size large. I'm 4'11" (one inch shorter than 5'0"), around 90 lbs, and have a finger size of 3.5. That being said I also live in an area where the average home is 1.5M and a diamond on the larger side wouldn't be super out of place.

I think the pear looks very nice on your wife's hand, and you should go for the pear imo. Return the oval and pear, and get a larger one like she said she wanted. After all she is the one who will be wearing it, and it's her ring!! She knows what she likes. Get her a larger pear!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I would for sure wear the 6.75ct oval daily. I love large diamonds, and don't personally find that size large. I'm 4'11" (one inch shorter than 5'0"), around 90 lbs, and have a finger size of 3.5. That being said I also live in an area where the average home is 1.5M and a diamond on the larger side wouldn't be super out of place.

I think the pear looks very nice on your wife's hand, and you should go for the pear imo. Return the oval and pear, and get a larger one like she said she wanted. After all she is the one who will be wearing it, and it's her ring!! She knows what she likes. Get her a larger pear!!

I feel like we are an extreme minority of diamond nuts. Which is great! Because we all found each other and can go gaga as a community bc we LOVE diamonds here! Many PSers are proud size hos. :lol: But let’s not lull ourselves into a false sense of reality to justify ourselves lol

For example, I live in an area with 1.5M homes and a 7 carat stone would stick out like a sore thumb. The cost of such large stones would still a meaningful percentage of the actual value of those homes. Heck, that includes labs to an extent bc they are so costly per carat at this point in time.

I spot 2 carats on occasion, if that. Neighborhoods with 10M + homes? Different story…

My point isn’t that it’s anyones business as to how anyone spends their money, but 7 carats is going to be outside of the norm in most places. Of course, there are areas that are exceptions. And if labs dramatically go down in price, which I’m hazarding a guess they will, you might see honkers everywhere for a time.

It’s whether or not that it bothers the wearer. All I can say is, get big stones bc YOU (not you in particular, but generally) love them, not to prove something. And many PSers truly don’t care about judgment or homogeneity, and many care a lot, and then there’s prob a normal distribution in between.

RetroQT

Brilliant_Rock
I feel like we are an extreme minority of diamond nuts. Which is great! Because we all found each other and can go gaga as a community bc we LOVE diamonds here! Many PSers are proud size hos. :lol: But let’s not lull ourselves into a false sense of reality to justify ourselves lol

For example, I live in an area with 1.5M homes and a 7 carat stone would stick out like a sore thumb. The cost of such large stones would still a meaningful percentage of the actual value of those homes. Heck, that includes labs to an extent bc they are so costly per carat at this point in time.

I spot 2 carats on occasion, if that. Neighborhoods with 10M + homes? Different story…

My point isn’t that it’s anyones business as to how anyone spends their money, but 7 carats is going to be outside of the norm in most places. Of course, there are areas that are exceptions. And if labs dramatically go down in price, which I’m hazarding a guess they will, you might see honkers everywhere for a time.

It’s whether or not that it bothers the wearer. All I can say is, get big stones bc YOU (not you in particular, but generally) love them, not to prove something. And many PSers truly don’t care about judgment or homogeneity, and many care a lot, and then there’s prob a normal distribution in between.

Very well said. My neighborhood has homes selling up to $3M right now and I see 2-3 carats, tops. Outside of my neighborhood and at the beach (20 minutes away), I still don’t see many over 4-5 and even those would be super rare. In my personal circle, my 2.78ct is the biggest. That is why I would be hesitant to wear anything over 4cts personally. But… that’s me. That’s how I would feel. And that’s worth the price you paid for my opinion. LOL!

It may be silly at this point to repeat what others have said, but I would return the oval and get the larger pear myself too. I have multiple “engagement rings” and while beautiful in their own way, most sit in a jewelry box. And that is just a waste to me. They don’t get worn as much as they should for the money I’ve spent on them.

glitterbomb

Shiny_Rock

Very well said. My neighborhood has homes selling up to $3M right now and I see 2-3 carats, tops. Outside of my neighborhood and at the beach (20 minutes away), I still don’t see many over 4-5 and even those would be super rare. In my personal circle, my 2.78ct is the biggest. That is why I would be hesitant to wear anything over 4cts personally. But… that’s me. That’s how I would feel. And that’s worth the price you paid for my opinion. LOL!

It may be silly at this point to repeat what others have said, but I would return the oval and get the larger pear myself too. I have multiple “engagement rings” and while beautiful in their own way, most sit in a jewelry box. And that is just a waste to me. They don’t get worn as much as they should for the money I’ve spent on them.

When I said average 1.5M in the area, I meant when you google the city that is the average...but in my specific neighborhood there are homes over 5M and I'm also close to a neighborhood with homes up to 70M. I see quite a few women rocking large diamonds. I own a 6ct oval (14.2x10.2) and I honestly don't find it to be large, especially because it is set low. I know there are many people who would definitely disagree though. I also own a 10ct oval (17.5x12.15) and that one is very large to me. However, in my personal circle, besides my own rings, 3.15ct is the biggest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results