shape
carat
color
clarity

Question: would you wear this as a daily or not?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That gorgeous pear is 3 carats? I must have remembered that wrong….It looks huge!

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Wife definitely likes the pear shape.
I gotta wait to see what she wants to do. She mentioned switching the oval and pear out for a slightly larger pear… that’s a lot of work though.

I think the variety is really nice as it stands.

Some pics…

Attachments

• 32A6E714-8F79-419C-A97D-1B060246B9FA.jpeg
    32A6E714-8F79-419C-A97D-1B060246B9FA.jpeg
    274.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 5A9862AF-7934-4E3B-B7D2-65FECFE89D20.jpeg
    5A9862AF-7934-4E3B-B7D2-65FECFE89D20.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 52
  • C6B9439D-40EF-4906-BCD9-7BCF05700D01.jpeg
    C6B9439D-40EF-4906-BCD9-7BCF05700D01.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 52

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Here is a finger pic on her hand.

The pinky houses the Etsy 4 carat oval CZ which she trialed for 2 years to make sure she was comfortable with that “look”.

1.5J SI1 WF ACA
3.08 F VS1 Hpht, ex ex (hot glued onto an Etsy ring)
6.75 D VS2 Hpht, ex ex (hot glued on a silver temp band)
ACBAC32C-F82B-4C7F-A98A-2B35F22B0DFF.jpeg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh okay-new data point. After seeing the 4 ct cz, I can understand why the Elyque face up would have been a visual downgrade!

I love the size of the 6.75 ct oval and the pear on her hand. The pear is actually my fave!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I‘m usually not a fan of pears..but that pear is juicy. I love it. I think it looks the best on her hand. Take it from an older woman…If your wife says she thinks she would prefer a larger pear instead of the oval you may want to listen to her. :lol-2: If she says it once she’ll be thinking that every time she wears it. They are all beautiful. She’s a lucky woman to have you do this for her. My husband gave up a long time ago and tells me to buy what I like. He’s interested..but picks out awful jewelry..If I left it up to him I would wind up with something that looked flashy..and not cut very well..Your wife must be a special lady. I can’t wait to see what you both decide to do!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The 6 ct oval looks amazing. The pear is nice but the oval is the winner in my book.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Wife definitely likes the pear shape.
I gotta wait to see what she wants to do. She mentioned switching the oval and pear out for a slightly larger pear… that’s a lot of work though.

I think the variety is really nice as it stands.

Some pics…

First, I hope there is no damage to the oval you may return! As a consumer, I don't think I'd want a stone that had been hot glued to something and worn around, that may have gotten nicks on it. So, hopefully you have not damaged it at all if you are not for sure keeping it.

Second, If she likes the pear shape and has said she wants a slightly larger pear, I'd go with what she wants. She is the one that has to wear this and while it may be some more work to start over, you'll at least have what she, the wearer, really wants for an anniversary gift. I know you really like the oval and think it's a great find, but she doesn't seem in love with it. As much as finding a great stone at a fair price is a nice ride and a little thrill, it should be focused on what she actuallly wants and will wear. Even with good intention, I would not appreciate it if my other half bought me something that I told him I didn't prefer, especially at a good amount of spend. It wouldn't be something to grow on me because he liked it, but would tick me off as time went on because my preferences, as the wearer, were not considedered for a gift that was supposed to be for me.

Some women want a variety. Some just want one ring to reach for and to be done with it as their engagement ring. She sounds like she may not care about variety. I'd outright ask what she wants and go with her preference. If she wasn't in love with the big oval after wearing it out hot glued, it may not be the stone for her, even if you are really happy with the quality for the cost.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If the hardest material on earth can’t withstand hot glue and wearing it around, it’s not a diamond.

What if the stone came off the hot glue and bounced around in a parking lot? YMMV, but that's more of a risk than I'd be comfortable with for an item that I don't necessarily intend to keep. Maybe you have better luck than me, but if I did that, my luck would be that it fell out of the glue setting, fell off and got run over by a car at the grocery store.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the hardest material on earth can’t withstand hot glue and wearing it around, it’s not a diamond.
I can’t tell if you’re for real or not, but this particular comment is asinine.

Diamonds are brittle. Diamonds aren’t indestructible!! You can scratch diamonds, you can chip diamonds, you can nick diamonds, you can burn diamonds.

You can do these things to a diamond whilst holding it to hot glue. You can do these things to a diamond mounting it. You can do these things “mounting” it by shoving culet into wireframe or onto hard surface. You can do these things wearing it grocery shopping, picking through products and opening doors and pushing carts. You will - not can, definitely will - do these things if your glue fails for whatever reasons (heat and UV on a hot day, excess humidity or dryness, cold from an industrial freezer). Don’t believe me? Google is your friend.

Let your wife take the diamond on joyrides if you’d like - not my monkey, not my circus - but at least do so with your eyes open to the fact that you are taking a risk, and most of us think it’s a seriously stupid risk, even those who have already responded. You also took risks many of us consider needless by gluing the pear to the top of the Etsy ring. If there’s even one loupe-scopic mark on those diamonds they’re going to be non-returnable.

:rolleyes:

Last edited:

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
After seeing it on your wife's fingers, I don't think the oval looks too big at all. They're all gorgeous rings. I'm impressed that you did so much research/ shopping! Now, are you going to add an emerald and asscher to the collection? Or a heart and Octavia? Please update with pics if you do!

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Tongue in cheek obviously.
It only gets worn around the house
When at the grocery, it was placed back in her bag in case the oval fell out.
There’s no scratch or loupable damage to the diamond. It’s perfectly fine.
Most of the time it sits on the counter next to all the other diamonds so she can get used to the appearance. They never touch each other to prevent damage.

I can’t tell if you’re for real or not, but this particular comment is asinine.

Diamonds are brittle. Diamonds aren’t indestructible!! You can scratch diamonds, you can chip diamonds, you can nick diamonds, you can burn diamonds.

You can do these things to a diamond whilst holding it to hot glue. You can do these things to a diamond mounting it. You can do these things “mounting” it by shoving culet into wireframe or onto hard surface. You can do these things wearing it grocery shopping, picking through products and opening doors and pushing carts. You will - not can, definitely will - do these things if your glue fails for whatever reasons (heat and UV on a hot day, excess humidity or dryness, cold from an industrial freezer). Don’t believe me? Google is your friend.

Let your wife take the diamond on joyrides if you’d like - not my monkey, not my circus - but at least do so with your eyes open to the fact that you are taking a risk, and most of us think it’s a seriously stupid risk, even those who have already responded. You also took risks many of us consider needless by gluing the pear to the top of the Etsy ring. If there’s even one loupe-scopic mark on those diamonds they’re going to be non-returnable.

:rolleyes:

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I’d be very annoyed if a diamond I later purchased had been treated this way. I think you’re missing @yssie ’s point. Tongue in cheek humor aside, I really think the oval is comically large especially given the context you’ve provided. This is an entirely personal choice and I think large rocks naturally fit into some peoples lifestyles, and not into others. You’re soliciting opinions from a very select sample size of shoppers who love big diamonds much more than the average person and many of whom gradually upgraded over years.

And unfortunately the average person is going to be judgmental, and might ask questions like “IS THAT REAL?!” Does your wife want that?

And this is coming from someone with a 3.5 carat diamond coming her way, and I live in a major city and work in tech. All of these add up to = feasibly rocking a big rock

I cannot imagine wearing such a large stone everyday. If she wants to do chores, sleep in, etc. her rings, this is not a practical choice. It will also garner a lot of attention. If you realistically want people to perceive it as a non-lab (I’m not clear on whether that matters to you), I’d overwhelmingly recommend the pear, which I actually think is a nicer stone and more flattering to her hand.

Good luck!

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s no scratch or loupable damage to the diamond. It’s perfectly fine.
Hopefully this is true; no way for you to know.

G'luck dude. I'm out.

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
I’d be very annoyed if a diamond I later purchased had been treated this way. I think you’re missing @yssie ’s point. Tongue in cheek humor aside, I really think the oval is comically large especially given the context you’ve provided. This is an entirely personal choice and I think large rocks naturally fit into some peoples lifestyles, and not into others. You’re soliciting opinions from a very select sample size of shoppers who love big diamonds much more than the average person and many of whom gradually upgraded over years.

And unfortunately the average person is going to be judgmental, and might ask questions like “IS THAT REAL?!” Does your wife want that?

And this is coming from someone with a 3.5 carat diamond coming her way, and I live in a major city and work in tech. All of these add up to = feasibly rocking a big rock

I cannot imagine wearing such a large stone everyday. If she wants to do chores, sleep in, etc. her rings, this is not a practical choice. It will also garner a lot of attention. If you realistically want people to perceive it as a non-lab (I’m not clear on whether that matters to you), I’d overwhelmingly recommend the pear, which I actually think is a nicer stone and more flattering to her hand.

Good luck!

Treated like what? Wearing it around and handling it with care? I don’t even use metal prongs to pick it up. Hot glue doesn’t even burn my finger, it doesn’t even touch the prongs when I set it on the Etsy ring. You’re acting like I’m just tossing the unit around willy nilly.

Regarding the perception of lab vs egd - I don’t care. If I did, then I would’ve bought an egd.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
What you’re doing is akin to buying a dress, wearing it to an event, and returning it with tags. You have no idea if you’re doing damage to or not and you don’t seem to care one way or the other. I would treat such an expensive item with much more care but hey that’s on you!

I gave her the option, do you want a egd or LGD, she said LGD. That ended that discussion. If people think it’s moissanite or cz… that’s ok . She’s a pharmacist, I’m a doctor, they can connect the dots if they want to.

And the LGD point was that your quote seemed to imply some plausibility of coming off as mined based on profession.

If it truly doesn’t matter, best of luck. Again if she would prefer an everyday ring, especially one that could maybe be worn to work…the oval is not a reasonable option. Bigger isn’t always better for everyone. I still prefer the pear, size notwithstanding

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
Anyway… back to the topic on hand.

I made some artsy shots for perspective. The pear is very attractive. The oval still looks proportional to her fingers.

C255AA3E-3756-484D-A682-4CA6654E84CA.jpeg E4166484-98A3-4441-B949-C6E39410606B.jpeg

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
I agree
The oval is too much for work
Not appropriate in a professional environment imo

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
What you’re doing is akin to buying a dress, wearing it to an event, and returning it with tags. You have no idea if you’re doing damage to or not and you don’t seem to care one way or the other. I would treat such an expensive item with much more care but hey that’s on you!

And the LGD point was that your quote seemed to imply some plausibility of coming off as mined based on profession.

If it truly doesn’t matter, best of luck. Again if she would prefer an everyday ring, especially one that could maybe be worn to work…the oval is not a reasonable option. Bigger isn’t always better for everyone. I still prefer the pear, size notwithstanding
1. A dress to an event? Not even close. Wearing a diamond around the house without having metal touch it is not like ripping the tags off and wearing a degradable piece of clothing.

2. Read my quote again. If they think it’s cz or moissanite, that’s up to them. I didn’t mention LGD.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
No one knows what people do to their diamonds before we purchased them during an upgrade. The previous owners have to send the diamond in for an inspection before being put back up for sale on the website. People could have constructed a wall of stone with their ring on. We would never know. The diamond is inspected when they send it in. We assume everyone is super careful with their diamond. I am..but I know a few people that aren’t careful with theirs. One person recently got an upgrade..The ring was inspected..and determined it was still perfect. I think this is shocking people because you’re seeing what people may do their diamonds. When @joey_v sends it in I’m sure it will be inspected. He’s taking a risk..but it’s his risk.
I still like the pear the best.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
She tried wearing it to the grocery store today… it was on a temporary setting.

grocery shopping is one activity ive very jewlery weary
on a cold day i once left my rings on the checkout convayer belt and also things get hooked around bag handles so eaiserly :(2
:(2

joey_v

Shiny_Rock
No one knows what people do to their diamonds before we purchased them during an upgrade. The previous owners have to send the diamond in for an inspection before being put back up for sale on the website. People could have constructed a wall of stone with their ring on. We would never know. The diamond is inspected when they send it in. We assume everyone is super careful with their diamond. I am..but I know a few people that aren’t careful with theirs. One person recently got an upgrade..The ring was inspected..and determined it was still perfect. I think this is shocking people because you’re seeing what people may do their diamonds. When @joey_v sends it in I’m sure it will be inspected. He’s taking a risk..but it’s his risk.
I still like the pear the best.

I agree.

It is inspected and deemed good or not good. Then the next owner has peace of mind. Who knows where these diamonds have been and in what condition. As long as it passes muster when inspected and resembles the cert, the diamond is as good as saleable.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally don’t think the oval is too big, but I’m really liking the pear. I like that it’s (IMO) different to the more usual shapes you see. When I got my marquise, it was a toss up between that and a pear.

AL12

Shiny_Rock
I think it’s very sweet that you did so much work and put so much thought into this upgrade which involved not one but two rings. I like that you want to get your wife as big a diamond as your budget will allow and then some :)

My two cents about the size: at the end of the day, the members of this forum are living in different areas/social circles and everyone will also have a different comfort level for showing bling. You won’t get a clear collective answer nor will it matter at the end of the day. You can heed everyone’s advice when it comes to more black and white matters such as analyzing if you’re purchasing a good diamond for your budget… and also consideration of some logistical warnings about a stone that large hindering everyday activities or comfortability on the finger (eg any rubbing but this comes more into play for 5/7 stone or eternity bands) but the choice ultimately should be your wife’s.

You put in so much blood, sweat and tears (and hot glue??) into this oval, that it will be difficult if you decide to return it but what would be even worse is if your wife doesn’t wear the ring because she’s not comfortable with the size. Even though you have good intentions, you can’t “force” what you think is best on her as she’s her own person. (But I say this loosely, if you have a relationship where you pick out her clothing, bags, jewelry etc. then your opinion may have more impact)

She seems into the pear! I like the pear on her a lot too and actually think it *would* look amazing if it was bigger, only if you return the oval of course. I know this means more work for you though!

I also like the oval a lot too, don’t get me wrong!

Have your wife really feel out what she really wants and make sure she’s not doing what she thinks you want for her. For all the work you’re putting in, she should feel excited to put on her ring everyday versus any nervousness.

GiveMePerfect

Rough_Rock
Your wife has long fingers for a shorter person! I definitely think she can take the large oval size-wise, but I do think the pear shape compliments her hands better, so I would listen to her and do a larger pear ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results