shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Purple Garnets Show and Tell

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm sure they'd probably have something like that nearby Chrono, maybe have a look on Google?

I've thought about that synthetics but Topaz and Garnets are fairly cheap to buy as rough stones and will give me the least amount of trouble with their cleavage so they're ideal to learn on. Up next I'm probably going to look at some Peridot and Aussie blue Sapphires but first things first, I have to learn! :bigsmile:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeff White has finished cutting my purple garnet.
Here's the pic he sent me. I can't wait to see this in person. :dance:

image_4003.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
elle_71125|1448227652|3952854 said:

image_4003.jpg

Hello gorgeous!!! She is beautiful and round and purple. I am so looking forward to see your pics once it has arrived.

picante27

Shiny_Rock
elle, your garnet looks gorgeous! :appl: I can't wait to see more pics when you get it.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
elle. I'm so glad your purple garnet is ready. I'll love to hear your reaction when you get it in hand. Please post pics and the specs too!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1448228227|3952858 said:
elle_71125|1448227652|3952854 said:

image_4003.jpg

Hello gorgeous!!! She is beautiful and round and purple. I am so looking forward to see your pics once it has arrived.

Acinom that is one gorgeous purple garnet. Can't wait to see pics from you. Your eye for color is wonderful.

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Your garnet is beautiful, Elle!

I am so happy with my Sungura garnet ring; thank you, Sungura and Yvonne Raley. It is a pleasure to wear such a lovely ring, I feel so lucky :appl:

_35363.jpg

_35364.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous apacherose! And such a fabulous colour play. That ring is a true 'gem'.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Wow Apacherose that purple garnet ring looks great. You have really captured the color so well in your photographs! Are you using a dslr? I hope the ring meets your expectations!!! I'm so happy to have a ring twin!!

picante27

Shiny_Rock
apacherose, I love your garnet ring! The warm gold looks great with the purple! That tourmaline is gorgeous as well! Congrats!

arabella

Shiny_Rock
It has been a while since I've been able to look through this thread!! I LOVE all of the new additions. I can't get enough of this color. Thank you to everyone for sharing your pretties!

elle, I'm so happy to see you're getting a purple garnet from Jeff White! I am getting one too -- I recently got this picture from him because he is done cutting mine as well. We'll be purple garnet twins! :appl:

gar396.jpg

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Arabella, your garnet looks amazing- the cut is stunning.

Acinom, Picante, and Sungura, thank you! Sungura, I knew I would be happy with the ring, but, I was honestly so touched when I got it and you can just see the love and artistry and attention to detail- I was truly touched. The pics are with my iPhone. I think you chose a spectacular combo and I am so happy I can share in it. Thanks!!!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
arabella I am so thrilled your purple garnet has been cut!!! Do you have it yet? Hand shots please. You too Elle

apacherose you are very skilled wth the iphone. I wonder if I loose clarity once I move my pics into the collage app I use. Again I'm so glad you like the color combo. It's so special to me to have a lovely ring with excellent craftsmanship and two very rare forms of garnet. I think the color change garnets look so lively because they are small and let in a lot of light. The 6mm garnets a great size.

nickynewark welcome to the thread and thanks for posting your purple garnets. Peter Torraca did such a great job with both. I especially like the 3.56 ct square. Wow! Would you please share the size in mm if these two gems! Also what was the size of the rough for the square? I believe we both bought our rough in person up in Springfield. I haven't had mine cut yet but I asked for a piece that would make a substantial square

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up my purple garnet today, from the post office (I missed the post on Friday and had to wait...talk about disappointing. ;( )
Stats are as follows: 2.28ct and 7.72mm round brilliant cut.

I'm gonna be honest. These pictures do not do this baby justice. I feel like it's really hard to photograph this gem. I'll have to pull out my dlsr camera (instead of using my cell phone :roll: ). The color really is a great purple and I love it!

image_4062.jpg
image_4064.jpg
image_4065.jpg

nickynewark

Rough_Rock
Sungura|1448928086|3955790 said:
arabella I am so thrilled your purple garnet has been cut!!! Do you have it yet? Hand shots please. You too Elle

apacherose you are very skilled wth the iphone. I wonder if I loose clarity once I move my pics into the collage app I use. Again I'm so glad you like the color combo. It's so special to me to have a lovely ring with excellent craftsmanship and two very rare forms of garnet. I think the color change garnets look so lively because they are small and let in a lot of light. The 6mm garnets a great size.

nickynewark welcome to the thread and thanks for posting your purple garnets. Peter Torraca did such a great job with both. I especially like the 3.56 ct square. Wow! Would you please share the size in mm if these two gems! Also what was the size of the rough for the square? I believe we both bought our rough in person up in Springfield. I haven't had mine cut yet but I asked for a piece that would make a substantial square
Hello Sungura- the round is 7.67mm.(7.03 rough) the square 8.01mm- shortest side to side measurement(rough13.37ct.) Took some extra weight loss on square cut(would have been 5-6cts. in a rectangle).Peter was the cutter for the round. Both stones look much nicer in person.Yep,I took a long ride from the Jersey Shore to Springfield for the rough. I did get to hand pick with Jordan of New Era, what I thought was the best rough.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
So excited!!!! Jeff White finished my purple garnet and sent a picture today. Final stone and original rough are below. The finished stone is 4.55 carats, 8.72 mm. Now I just need to figure out how to set it.

_971.jpeg

_972.jpeg

GailRB

Rough_Rock
I decided to bump up this thread with my new pair of purple cushion rhodolites. The specs are: 8mm x 9mm; 6.32 total cts. They are beautiful but unfortunately, my photo is not!

img_10043.jpg

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I've been neglecting this thread ;-(

nickynewark thanks for the update with the stats

gailrb I love squares and I love your cushion pair. Any plans for them yet?

aac2013. So now that your Jeff white purple garnet has arrived do you like it? Any plans for it yet?

Any other purple garnet news? I saw ricezo and blingbunny recently posted purple garnet rings so I need to get them cross posted and then update our collage

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't posted on PS in a looooong time. But resurrected my login to post the new purple garnet I just ordered from my fav cutter Barry.

1.47 ct
6.5mm

_35782.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
MakingTheGrade|1451012299|3965981 said:
I haven't posted on PS in a looooong time. But resurrected my login to post the new purple garnet I just ordered from my fav cutter Barry.

1.47 ct
6.5mm

Absolutely stunning!!

abbit

Rough_Rock
I have a little purple garnet inside my wedding ring

img_20160124_095634.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My garnet is on the cover of the Journal of Gemmology! The shot of Jeff White's purple garnet cushion and rougn was selected as the cover photo for the current edition (Vol. 34, Issue 8). They also did a 3-page article on the new purple garnets, providing all the analytical information gathered on them to-date. This stone is citied specifically in the article, along with a number more of the ones Jeff cut (and that are now owned by PSers). His rough was also used for the laboratory characterization.
Unfortunately I have no access to the Journal. Grab a copy if you have access to learn more about purple garnets.

_1605.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom that is so cool! Congrats to you for owning such a beauty, and to Jeff for cutting it :)

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Acinom! Your garnet is famous! 8-) Seeing that gorgeous cushion on Jeff's FB is what made me obsessed with having one for myself. I'd love to read the article. Also, I'm dying to see your garnet set! I know you have other projects happening right now, but the wait is killing me! :rodent:

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
abbit I really like the hidden purple garnet in your ring. Very unique. I've never seen one in the inside before. Thanks so much for sharing!

acinom how very exciting to have your beautiful gem featured on the cover. I'm determined to read the article inside. I'll see what I need to do to make that happen. Thanks so much for posting this news!!!

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
Acinom that really is so cool! I think that your garnet being a cover images proves just how beautiful the stone must be. I am very excited to see the final product once your garnet is set.

I am loving all of the pretty garnets in this thread! For those of you that own a purple garnet, what do you think of the level of saturation? I spoke with Peter Torraca about possibly commissioning a purple garnet several months ago but he said that he didn't find the color to be that appealing and therefore did not buy any rough. While I can see that most purple garnets are medium to medium dark in terms of saturation, it does not seem like any of the gems in this thread are overly dark.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Acinom|1453613491|3980600 said:
My garnet is on the cover of the Journal of Gemmology! The shot of Jeff White's purple garnet cushion and rougn was selected as the cover photo for the current edition (Vol. 34, Issue 8). They also did a 3-page article on the new purple garnets, providing all the analytical information gathered on them to-date. This stone is citied specifically in the article, along with a number more of the ones Jeff cut (and that are now owned by PSers). His rough was also used for the laboratory characterization.
Unfortunately I have no access to the Journal. Grab a copy if you have access to learn more about purple garnets.

Thanks Acinom for posting! I did a search and found that Stone Group Laboratories has posted several of the articles they authored within publications, including the 3-page text on purple garnets. I am posting the link below. Congratulations on being the owner of the gem on the cover! It is beautiful and inspired my purchase.

http://stonegrouplabs.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Purple-Garnets-JoG-34-8-LR.pdf

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
aac2013 thanks for finding and posting the link to the article!!

gingercurls I think most have found the purple garnets to be quite bright. My two large ones from Jordan Wilkins and Gene Flanigan do go dark at times but the beautiful flashes and color more than make up for it. The smaller pieces I got through Yvonne Raley. The 6mm one is almost always "on" as they get smaller I think they have less depth of color. I had a chance to see a second parcel Yvonne acquired in October and they seems a little different, a little more mono color but still really pretty and unique I still have a 13 carat rough that has not been cut yet. My strong interest started with NKOTB's round that was cut by Jeff White

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results