shape
carat
color
clarity

PS''ers helped find my diamond, now lets find a setting!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - beautiful!!

More pictures, pretty please?

Supers

Shiny_Rock
Octavia is gorgeous.
I''m also trying to find a setting. Well, I''ve found one, but it''s out of the budget, so I know what you''re going through with looking for settings.
Good luck!

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/1/2010 7:32:06 PM
Author: Supers
Octavia is gorgeous.

I''m also trying to find a setting. Well, I''ve found one, but it''s out of the budget, so I know what you''re going through with looking for settings.

Good luck!

Thanks! I went to 9 stores today! 3 of them had no clue what I was talking about when I said "I''d like to see your split shank engagement settings please!"

The last place I stopped at had the PERFECT setting. Matched her picture almost to a T. BUUUUUT my diamond is to small for it :( The setting calls for a diamond near 7mm x 7mm
38.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
That's too bad. But at least you saw what was out there!

Are you leaning more toward custom now?

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
You got it. I am leaning towards custom work. What are your thoughts on a twisted split shank setting vs a standard split shank? It isnt what was in the picture but it is unique and thats the thing she liked about the "dream ring". I will be stopping at one last place that has a large selection of split shanks and twisted split shanks.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I love the look of the twisted split shank, if I had to do-over my e-ring I would totally go that route.

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2010 8:57:39 AM
Author: lknvrb4
I love the look of the twisted split shank, if I had to do-over my e-ring I would totally go that route.

Personally, I have found some twisted split''s that I really have liked. I''ve tried to find something that matches what she wants without going the custom route and can''t find anything (i still cant believe how close I was yesterday! I wish they could just modify the head mount!)

The only issue I see with going custom is that it would be at least a 4-6 week process to get it done right. I don''t know if I could keep this a secret for 4-6 weeks! I could always put it in a temp setting but as many people on pricescope have stated, once that ring is on her finger, ill have to pry it or cut it off! She would not be happy having to send the diamond out for 4 weeks.

I took a half day off of work for this afternoon so I will give once last attempt to find something prior to going the custom route.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2010 9:08:40 AM
Author: VetChecker

Personally, I have found some twisted split''s that I really have liked. I''ve tried to find something that matches what she wants without going the custom route and can''t find anything (i still cant believe how close I was yesterday! I wish they could just modify the head mount!)

The only issue I see with going custom is that it would be at least a 4-6 week process to get it done right. I don''t know if I could keep this a secret for 4-6 weeks! I could always put it in a temp setting but as many people on pricescope have stated, once that ring is on her finger, ill have to pry it or cut it off! She would not be happy having to send the diamond out for 4 weeks.

I took a half day off of work for this afternoon so I will give once last attempt to find something prior to going the custom route.

Could they order the setting you found yesterday to fit your stone? I know a lot of jewelers can do that.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
I''d stick with a design that closely matches the photo she gave you. That''s her "dream" ring, based on how long she kept that photo. If you were shopping together for the setting, she may be more flexible once she sees different settings on her hand. But if your intention is to give this ring as a surprise, then I''d stick with a setting as close to the photo as possible.

I also vote for the custom setting if you got quotes within your budget. This is from my own experience shopping for a pre-made setting for a loose diamond. Nothing was quite right for my finger or my diamond. I, too, did not want to wait 4-6 weeks for the setting to be made (this was for an anniversary ring, so it was not a surprise since I picked out my own stone and setting). But when I compared what I could get ready made with what I could get custom, and that the custom would be made to fit my finger and my stone -- well, I was convinced that I''d get a better quality ring going the custom route with my PS vendor.

Yes, I agree, the loan is problematic - and you may just have to tell her you''ve got a surprise in the works and that''s why you took out the loan, and risk her putting two-and-two together. But if it means you''ll get a nicer setting to give to her, then it might be worth going custom and risking her asking questions about the loan.

Just my .02

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2010 9:10:36 AM
Date: 7/2/2010 9:08:40 AM

Author: VetChecker

Could they order the setting you found yesterday to fit your stone? I know a lot of jewelers can do that.

Typically yes, but this setting was discontinued by the vendor so no.
38.gif

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2010 9:16:46 AM
Author: sarap333
I''d stick with a design that closely matches the photo she gave you. That''s her ''dream'' ring, based on how long she kept that photo. If you were shopping together for the setting, she may be more flexible once she sees different settings on her hand. But if your intention is to give this ring as a surprise, then I''d stick with a setting as close to the photo as possible.

I also vote for the custom setting if you got quotes within your budget. This is from my own experience shopping for a pre-made setting for a loose diamond. Nothing was quite right for my finger or my diamond. I, too, did not want to wait 4-6 weeks for the setting to be made (this was for an anniversary ring, so it was not a surprise since I picked out my own stone and setting). But when I compared what I could get ready made with what I could get custom, and that the custom would be made to fit my finger and my stone -- well, I was convinced that I''d get a better quality ring going the custom route with my PS vendor.

Yes, I agree, the loan is problematic - and you may just have to tell her you''ve got a surprise in the works and that''s why you took out the loan, and risk her putting two-and-two together. But if it means you''ll get a nicer setting to give to her, then it might be worth going custom and risking her asking questions about the loan.

Just my .02

Deep down, I know your right! I just have an internal struggle with how I have always thought this would happen opposed to how it may turn out.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
LOL -- too often that's what life brings us!

ETA: Your comment about your struggle between how you hoped things would be and how they may turn out reminded me of my own experience with my husband -- not with the proposal, but with the anniversary ring. Two years ago, I mentioned to my husband that I'd like a diamond for our 20th anniversary (proposal ring was a sapphire). He balked -- "Why do you want a diamond?" I thought you hated diamonds" blah, blah, blah. I tried to tell him about Pricescope (I was a lurker then) and how the diamonds I'd seen on PS were so much prettier than the typical diamond. He wouldn't budge. Then I read the story Todd Gray tells on his website Nice Ice, about his own mother, and how she finally bought herself a diamond after waiting, oh, 25 years or so. So I thought, to heck with it, I'll just buy my own anniversary ring! Hubby was still not sold on the idea, but he said fine; stay within this budget and go for it if it's what you want. Was this how I pictured my 20th anniversary diamond ring "experience"? No, not at all. But after I got the ring, we were out for dinner with his parents, and my husband said, "Did you see Sara's new ring?" My mother-in-law looked at my hand and said to my husband, "Wow, beautiful! You did that? You went all out!" Hubby beamed; I kept my mouth shut. He saved face. And I got the ring I wanted. A happy ending -- marriage is a compromise!

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/2/2010 10:27:54 AM
Author: sarap333
LOL -- too often that''s what life brings us!

ETA: Your comment about your struggle between how you hoped things would be and how they may turn out reminded me of my own experience with my husband -- not with the proposal, but with the anniversary ring. Two years ago, I mentioned to my husband that I''d like a diamond for our 20th anniversary (proposal ring was a sapphire). He balked -- ''Why do you want a diamond?'' I thought you hated diamonds'' blah, blah, blah. I tried to tell him about Pricescope (I was a lurker then) and how the diamonds I''d seen on PS were so much prettier than the typical diamond. He wouldn''t budge. Then I read the story Todd Gray tells on his website Nice Ice, about his own mother, and how she finally bought herself a diamond after waiting, oh, 25 years or so. So I thought, to heck with it, I''ll just buy my own anniversary ring! Hubby was still not sold on the idea, but he said fine; stay within this budget and go for it if it''s what you want. Was this how I pictured my 20th anniversary diamond ring ''experience''? No, not at all. But after I got the ring, we were out for dinner with his parents, and my husband said, ''Did you see Sara''s new ring?'' My mother-in-law looked at my hand and said to my husband, ''Wow, beautiful! You did that? You went all out!'' Hubby beamed; I kept my mouth shut. He saved face. And I got the ring I wanted. A happy ending -- marriage is a compromise!

Good story! I think we both will end up compromising (even though she doesn''t know anything about this!) in the end. I think the most important thing to her is that it is unique. That is what I took from our conversation the other day. I asked, what stood out from that picture you gave me awhile back? She said
Her: "I don''t know, just that it was different."
Me: "Well what was different about it?"
Her: "Well how it split in two and came up to the diamond. I don''t know, it was just different then any other ring."

I mentioned that I had contacted the vendor awhile ago and that it was a $149k ring so sorry, its out of the budget! So as you know, the goal has always been to get her as close to that as possible. I think in the end, as long is its not the run of the mill ring, she will be happy. This is the start of the rest of our lives together. If I don''t match her dream ring 100%, I have (i hope!) many years left to make enough money to get that dream ring with the big diamond in it. In all honesty, I am getting anxious about the engagement. I don''t know if that is a good thing or bad thing. I know she has been waiting for a long time for me to be ready for this and I can''t wait to finally see the smile on her face when the time arrives!
30.gif

Lula

Ideal_Rock
VC, based on your conversation with her, it sounds like you are going in the right direction -- the Octavia is the perfect stone for "something different" and it sounds like she likes split shanks in general, not that exact split shank style. I think it''s great that you are considering her preferences, but it does sound like you''ve got a little room for creativity.

I think you are absolutely correct that she will be surprised and thrilled that you are ready to get married -- and the fact that you tried so hard to find her a unique and special ring is icing on the cake.

So start saving your pennies for the $149,000 ring! Your 20th anniversary will be here before you know it
2.gif

slg47

Ideal_Rock
just watched an octavia video...STUNNING...so gorgeous!!!!!

what about that since1910 horseshoe setting? that one looked good and was in budget...or are you going custom now? i can''t wait to see what you decide!!!!

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know how you feel about purchasing from eBay but I found this Scott Kay palladium setting with a split shank (but also has a halo) that would fit your stone and is gorgeous! It''s a size 6 3/4. The seller looks like he has pretty good feedback and great prices. We purchased my wedding band from eBay (from 5th Avenue Jewelers) and I LOVE IT! Just thought I''d throw it out there. :)

Scott Kay Palladium eBay Ring

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/2/2010 4:08:40 PM
Author: vgirl17
I don''t know how you feel about purchasing from eBay but I found this Scott Kay palladium setting with a split shank (but also has a halo) that would fit your stone and is gorgeous! It''s a size 6 3/4. The seller looks like he has pretty good feedback and great prices. We purchased my wedding band from eBay (from 5th Avenue Jewelers) and I LOVE IT! Just thought I''d throw it out there. :)

Scott Kay Palladium eBay Ring

I have to say that ring is gorgeous. It will make a 1 carat stone loom 50% bigger too. Love the split shank.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Great find, vgirl! VC''s stone is a hair under 5.5mm, though, and that setting takes a 6mm stone. I don''t know if .5mm is a dealbreaker, but someone who knows more about fitting stones to settings might.

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Well here is the update. I have decided to go the custom route with Wink from Winfields High Performance Diamonds. He was very honest with me and gave me a very competitive price. He sent my specs out to start the CAD process and I am very excited about getting this setting created! :mrgreen:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, VetC! Wink made my custom setting, and I've been very happy with the quality.

Did you end up with a split shank design with diamonds?

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Im very glad to hear your happy with your setting! I did end up going with a split shank with the diamonds on the side. I gave him the pictures I had of the ring she wanted and they are going to try and stay as close to it as possible. I can't wait! It is going to be tough to hold out for the 6 weeks! Do you have any pictures of how your ring came out?

Lula

Ideal_Rock
VetChecker said:
Im very glad to hear your happy with your setting! I did end up going with a split shank with the diamonds on the side. I gave him the pictures I had of the ring she wanted and they are going to try and stay as close to it as possible. I can't wait! It is going to be tough to hold out for the 6 weeks! Do you have any pictures of how your ring came out?

That's good news that the setting will be as close as possible to your gf's photo. I think the split shank will flatter the cut of the Octavia.

I have dozens of photos of my setting - LOL! On PS, if there are no photos, the ring didn't happen, ha-ha. Here are some links to the threads on the creation of my ring. I wanted something different, since my ring is an anniversary ring not an engagement ring. I also love sapphires (my original engagement ring was a blue sapphire). Wink modified an existing setting in his Signature Line to match my specifications. It's a complicated design and it was executed beautifully by his bench. Wink also had to contend with a number of PS members chiming in with their suggestions for the design (I asked for help and suggestions) and he was so patient throughout the process. The setting originally held a 1 carat M color diamond; it now holds my 1 carat I color diamond (Wink switched the stone for me in February).

These threads are a walk down memory lane - I had a lot of fun designing this ring with Wink and my "PS design committee."

Threads:
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123492
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123492
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=124346
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=128291

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Sara: The ring looks great! I now have even a better feeling for choosing to go with Wink over the other vendors that bid. I love the CAD image and how it shows everything. Some other CAD examples I looked at just did not give me a good feel for how the ring would actually look.

I am now more excited then ever for the CAD to come in and this process to start and finish! Now I just have to hope that for the next 5-6 weeks, she doesnt find the stash of money hidden in our online bank account! :D

starshine

Shiny_Rock
:appl: Can't wait to see your CADs! I'm trying to decide on a setting, as well! She's going to LOVE her Octavia! :love:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ooh awesome! the custom setting will be perfect for the octavia!!! can't wait to see it :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your decision! I really can't wait until I see the finished product. I am sure it will be goregous and your girflriend will be over the moon.

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Well the cat is out of the bag...sort of. She found the ring money this morning and questioned what it was. I couldnt lie about it or hide it so I said "Don't worry about it, stop snooping in strange bank accounts and lets just leave it at that! 8-) "

She knows what its for...kinda ruins the complete surprise, but she will still be surprised when it happens never the less! Now we just play the waiting game for the CAD results from Wink at High Performance Diamonds :read:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
VetChecker said:
Well the cat is out of the bag...sort of. She found the ring money this morning and questioned what it was. I couldnt lie about it or hide it so I said "Don't worry about it, stop snooping in strange bank accounts and lets just leave it at that! 8-) "

She knows what its for...kinda ruins the complete surprise, but she will still be surprised when it happens never the less! Now we just play the waiting game for the CAD results from Wink at High Performance Diamonds :read:

Well, you've talked about marriage and talked about rings, so the concept of a proposal won't be a complete surprise. She knows a ring is in the works, but she doesn't know the details. And you didn't have to lie to her about the money. So you're good to go! I hope you get your CADs from Wink soon (mine took about a week -- maybe a little less than that -- from the time I e-mailed him that I was ready to go ahead with the project).

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
VetChecker said:

The cat may be out of the bag but you are going to drive her nuts with the waiting. It will be perfect still.

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Hey,

I know its been awhile but I wanted to update some of you that have helped so much with this ring. I finally have a setting picked out from Wink at High Performance Diamonds. I'll attach it below but remember, it will be 14k white gold. It's only gold so we can see the details better.

Let me know what you think! :)

setting1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results