shape
carat
color
clarity

PS''ers helped find my diamond, now lets find a setting!

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
I love pricescope! You all helped me find the perfect diamond! I now have it on hold until I can talk to Jonathon tomorrow. You can see it here: Octavia Asscher

Now onto the next step! Lets find a setting :)

I am looking for something in the >1200 range. I originally wanted to get a paved split shank but after speaking with a bunch of members, they all hinted that a diamond under 1.ct would look odd in a split shank. Plus the diamond took up most of my budget. SO I think it would look great in either a singular pave setting(if we could find one cheep enough) or a very simple clean setting. I was thinking maybe a Cartier solitaire 1895 replica or something like that?

I can''t wait to hear from you all and thanks SO much for everyone who helped on my other thread! :D

slg47

Ideal_Rock
GOG has several pave bands in your budget but I think a solitaire would look really good...maybe something like the x-prong? or maybe a setting with tapered baguettes?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!
36.gif

If you aren''t going to go with a split shank now, I''d try to stay as close to her inspiration photo as possible and go thin (~2mm) and pave. Do you know her ring finger size?

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 10:18:34 AM
Author: E B
Congratulations!
36.gif

If you aren''t going to go with a split shank now, I''d try to stay as close to her inspiration photo as possible and go thin (~2mm) and pave. Do you know her ring finger size?

Yes and no!
19.gif
She has a ring she wears on her right hand that is a size 7. I know and she has told me that the left hand is smaller then the right (and I guess that is typical?) So I would assume 6.5...

I would like to stick as close to her original photo as possible so long as it fits my budget. From our other thread I got two schools of thought. 1 stick to it or close to it or 2 get something plain and let her pick out a new setting down the road.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
How about something like this? It''s $719 and is made by Gabriel & Co. I think GOG also carries that brand. I found this on www.goldandgems.com. I have seen this companies stuff in person and it''s very nice. They also will make these settings in palladium as well.

W-ER4118D4_01_M.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You made such a great choice!!
36.gif

GOG has a tiffany Novo replica that is really outstanding, but I am not sure it will fall into your budget
7.gif

I actually think a high quality pave setting may be out of your budget. I would rather see you get a *perfect* simple solitaire than an inexpensive pave setting.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 11:18:07 AM
Author: lknvrb4
How about something like this? It''s $719 and is made by Gabriel & Co. I think GOG also carries that brand. I found this on www.goldandgems.com. I have seen this companies stuff in person and it''s very nice. They also will make these settings in palladium as well.
Oh, yes, Gabriel and Co. does make very nice affordable settings! There are a number here on PS.

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 12:01:48 PM
Author: dreamer_d
You made such a great choice!!
36.gif

GOG has a tiffany Novo replica that is really outstanding, but I am not sure it will fall into your budget
7.gif

I actually think a high quality pave setting may be out of your budget. I would rather see you get a *perfect* simple solitaire than an inexpensive pave setting.

Yeah, id agree...id rather buy something it would look amazing in then settle for something cheaper. I emailed Jonathan and asked him for help with a setting as well. I don''t like how the site has "email for price" next to a lot of settings but I guess it works for them. It would be great if I could keep everything with one vendor but if I cant, I will figure it out!

I do like the novo setting. I actually went to the local tiffany store at the urge of a friend. In the end I would have maxed out at 6k then the tax for a .52 novo. Granted it would have been in a little blue box but who else would know? AND she isnt that kind of girl that gets caught up in it. She is more unique so I think the Octavia was/is a good choice for her personality! I am curious how it shows in natural daylight instead of what he showed it in. I emailed him those questions as well, from what I gather on the site he is very helpful and honest.
4.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, those Octavias are sick.

GOG can help you pick a setting, just tell them what you want
1.gif

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Well I just got a quote back from Leon Mege on a setting I requested Saturday. I am very surprised as if I just increased my budget by 400 I could put that stone in a costume Leon Mege setting!
6.gif

Here is a link: Leon Mege Setting
and
Octavia

What do you think? I am going to attempt to call Leon and ask his opinion on the perfect setting for this diamond! It''s a little nerve wrecking!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!
9.gif

For $400 you just HAVE to do it!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Normally, VC, I'd say ABSOLUTELY! But, as stunning as Leon's classic solitaire is, it doesn't look much like the photo of *the one* your girlfriend gave you.

If you can up your budget by $400, you could have a beautiful, delicate pave setting (possibly a split-shank) custom made in 18k white gold from a vendor like Brian Gavin or Whiteflash.

Or you could have GOG put Octavia in a temporary setting, and after you propose, show your fiance the Leon classic and see what she thinks. If she drools over it, go for it!

(Just my opinion, of course.)

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 4:02:33 PM
Author: tyty333
Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!
9.gif

For $400 you just HAVE to do it!

Ok. I talked to him. Wow. I have been through 2 war zones and calling and talking to him felt more nerve wrecking then either of those! :)

So there was good news and bad news.

The bad news is he "respectfully declines" to set that stone in his setting. I understand this as he mentioned that it was from his direct competitor (I shouldn''t have mentioned where I was getting it!)But regardless, he is an artist and I get his point of view.

The good news. I sent him a picture and he says he can find me a unique cut diamond to place in it that I would be satisfied with or he will then go ahead and set the diamond I am already interested in. Win Win?

So what are your thoughts? Can he find something as unique? Should I settle for a princess cut or something else as long as it is in a leon mege setting? Should I say to hell with it and find a different setting (YIKES!)

Either way I look at it, this is not a bad problem to have at all!
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 4:21:16 PM
Normally, VC, I''d say ABSOLUTELY! But, as stunning as Leon''s classic solitaire is, it doesn''t look much like the photo of *the one* your girlfriend gave you.

If you can up your budget by $400, you could have a beautiful, delicate pave setting (possibly a split-shank) custom made in 18k white gold from a vendor like Brian Gavin or Whiteflash.

Or you could have GOG put Octavia in a temporary setting, and after you propose, show your fiance the Leon classic and see what she thinks. If she drools over it, go for it!

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with this. I think you should only spend the money on the LM is you are SURE it is what she wants. Since it is so different from what she requested, I don''t thikn you can be really sure.

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 4:21:16 PM
Normally, VC, I''d say ABSOLUTELY! But, as stunning as Leon''s classic solitaire is, it doesn''t look much like the photo of *the one* your girlfriend gave you.

E_B: In my email to him I also gave him the back story on my picture, my budget and the fact I am told a diamond under 1ct wouldnt have the same effect on a spit shank as it does in that picture. I asked for his advice on either scenario. Could he do something in my budget that resembles that picture or could he place a unique stone in a clean simple setting? Looking forward to his reply. He said he is officially on vacation right now but sounds like he cant help himself from working!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 4:29:59 PM
Author: VetChecker

E_B: In my email to him I also gave him the back story on my picture, my budget and the fact I am told a diamond under 1ct wouldnt have the same effect on a spit shank as it does in that picture. I asked for his advice on either scenario. Could he do something in my budget that resembles that picture or could he place a unique stone in a clean simple setting? Looking forward to his reply. He said he is officially on vacation right now but sounds like he cant help himself from working!

Unfortunately, his pave settings are going to set you back more than an extra $400. They''re beautiful, but they can be pretty pricey. And as for him setting a unique stone into a simple setting, well, I don''t know that he''ll be able to find you a step-cut more unique than your Octavia.
2.gif

Some of the regular vendors here do stunning custom work for less money, and I''d ask them for quotes on pave settings -or- get your girlfriend''s opinion on the Leon before you make a final decision. There''s no doubt about it, his solitaire is beautiful, but it''s a lot of money to spend on a simple setting if you aren''t sure your girlfriend would love it, you know?

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Well he replied fairly quickly.... he suggested i look at this website
here

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 4:57:23 PM

here

Is he suggesting this cut for you?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 5:14:47 PM

Date: 6/28/2010 4:57:23 PM

here

Is he suggesting this cut for you?
Never heard of that cut. I like the octavia myself.

Have you done a search on Leon? He has a very mixed reputation on PS. I think if you want to work with him it is a good idea to do a search so you have an idea of his pluses and minuses. He is an artist no question, but not very good at customer service *overall*. He has his fans, no doubt, and many happy PS customers... but enough unhappy ones that I personally would not buy from him.

Anyways, you can form your own opinions, but I think it is a good idea to do some research before making a decision!

E B

Ideal_Rock
VC-

In this thread, you can see what a .74 ct square stone (princess) looks like in a delicate split shank since you were concerned that the design may overpower a <1 carat stone:

split_shank''s split shank!

If done right, it may not.
1.gif

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Leon's guidance to you is very interesting and not a position I have seen him take before. I guess it is game on - Leon is an offical diamond vendor now too.

Like I mentioned before, I think you should stick to the split shank. If you get the prongs right, it won't overwhelm.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I think you should keep the octavia because it''s the shape she wanted. I think if you start looking outside of what she truly wanted she may not have her dream ring. Perhaps propose with the diamond and instead of wasting money on settings, the both of you pick one out.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/28/2010 5:31:41 PM
VC-

In this thread, you can see what a .74 ct square stone (princess) looks like in a delicate split shank since you were concerned that the design may overpower a <1 carat stone:

split_shank''s split shank!

If done right, it may not.
1.gif
Her ring is gorgeous and well done. Its an HOF setting?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
ooh that split shank is pretty...I''d call GOG and see what type of settings they have. I''d stick with the Octavia, it is stunning, and the 88 isn''t really a step cut like your girl wanted (although it is nice too).

VetChecker

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I didnt much care for that 88 diamond either. I much prefer the octavia. I did real a long thread on him and saw the mixed reviews. I can see both sides but there is no question his work is high quality. I am still keeping my options open and will consider any suggestions given.

Im going to search for that heats on fire setting that was just posted. I am still open and would love a split shank if i can find the right one. Does anyone have any experience with a split shank? Specifically finding bands to match up flush with them?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2010 8:22:03 PM
Yeah, I didnt much care for that 88 diamond either. I much prefer the octavia. I did real a long thread on him and saw the mixed reviews. I can see both sides but there is no question his work is high quality. I am still keeping my options open and will consider any suggestions given.

Im going to search for that heats on fire setting that was just posted. I am still open and would love a split shank if i can find the right one. Does anyone have any experience with a split shank? Specifically finding bands to match up flush with them?
I think you will always have a slight gap. I like the look of a gap, so it would not worry me. Has your gf expressed that she really wants a flush fit between her rings?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have lots of split shanks but have yet to find a band that sits flush. Leon is making my band and split shank .. it will not sit flush .. in fact, he doesn''t like you wearing them together.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results