shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW PS Red Carpet Debut: "Nancy"

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to @Bostonberry, I have been fortunate enough to create a new family heirloom piece with an OEC that has been locked away for years.
My mother inherited my Great-Aunt Nancy's ER, and used to wear it on her RH, up until a few years ago, when she had to stop wearing jewelry in a new facility for Memory Care Patients.
The ER was set in a yellow gold solitaire; simple & elegant. I wear white metals, so this ring has been locked away, and hidden for quite some time.
I recently stumbled across a listing by @Bostonberry advertising a beautiful 14k white gold semi mount with baguette side stones, and an empty 6 prong head, waiting for the perfect stone! I contacted Bostonberry, and made my purchase. The ring was perfect, and compliments my existing wedding set very well!
The semi mount arrived, last week, and I took both rings into my local jeweler to have my Great-Aunt's diamond set in the center of this gorgeous semi mount!
I learned that the Center stone of her solitaire is an OEC, dating back to the late 1800's. The stone is unpolished, the girdle is slightly abrated on the one side, and there are 3 small chips along the girdle. In spite of it all, the diamond is in amazing condition; the original 6 prong solitaire setting helped to preserve the diamond.
The jeweler showed me the stone under magnification, and I could see the broad facets, and the beautiful floral pattern in the center of the stone, under the small table, as well as a small culet. This OEC measures the distance in mm of a 0.75ct round.
Here are the estimated, uncertified stats of the OEC:
Old European Cut Diamond (circa 1880-1900)
0.80-0.90ct
G-I color
SI2-SI1 clarity (eye clean)

The stats of the semi mount, per Bostonberry:
Custom made in the Jewelry Building in Boston by her mother.
14k solid white gold (high quality)
0.27cttw tension set baguettes, and prong/bead set single cut diamonds
VS clarity
G/H color
The head was replaced in 14k WG to fit the estimated 0.75ct diamond. The 6 prong style was maintained to protect the OEC.
Size 5.5

This ring is, essentially, now a 3 stone ring. I named her "Nancy" after 3 amazing women in my family who bear that name: my Mother, my Grandmother, and my Great-Aunt.
Once again, I could never have done this without @Bostonberry, and I am eternally grateful that she was willing to part with this beauty, and allow me to love her as much as I do!
I intend to wear her as a RHR, or a travel ring, for now. I have decided to promise her to my son, when he is ready to get married. He's still young (18 years old), and college-bound, but it's important to prepare; life has a way of throwing curve balls. ;)2
He is not obligated to accept her, but she is his, if he so chooses. My daughter is promised most of my other pieces, so this one is meant for him. If he decides not to accept it, it will be passed to a granddaughter (Wishful thinking...lol!).
Until then, she is mine to enjoy, every day!!! :lol-2:
Without further ado, I proudly present...
"Nancy":

The Semi Mount upon arrival from Boston:
IMG_8248.JPG

Great-Aunt Nancy's OEC solitaire photographed by the jeweler prior to setting the stone in the semi mount:
IMG_8271.JPG

The Semi Mount photographed by the jeweler:
IMG_8270.JPG

The finished 3 stone ring, "Nancy":
IMG_8353.JPG IMG_8356.JPG IMG_8361.JPG
IMG_8373.JPG IMG_8367.JPG IMG_8368.JPG
IMG_8385.JPG

As expected, photos do not do her any justice; she is absolutely gorgeous! The flash, scintillation, and fire that comes off this baby just cannot be captured by an iPhone!!!
I couldn't be more pleased with her, and I'm so happy to give this beauty a home!!! I'm so proud to wear a ring that holds so much history, both, here in PA, and in Boston, as well! It feels so good to create something that has so much meaning; something that once was "old", and now is made "new"!! Something that will be passed down for generations!!
@Bostonberry, if you're reading this, please send my love to your mother, and share this post with her! She's made this Pittsburgh Native one amazingly happy lady!!! :mrgreen2:
Love & hugs to you both!!!
...CRM...

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so wonderful :love::love: wear her in good health!

Take more pics tomorrow!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You took her out of that perfect setting! :cry2:

It's lovely. Congrats. Let me know if you need someone to take that yg setting off your hands. :wink2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You took her out of that perfect setting! :cry2:

It's lovely. Congrats. Let me know if you need someone to take that yg setting off your hands. :wink2:

@Niel I still have the yellow gold solitaire. I'll be certain to give you first dibs at it, if I sell it!!! The jeweler was extremely careful, when removing the stone; the head & prongs are in great shape! For now, I'm going to hold onto it. I have a feeling I'll be selling it, down the line, though. I just don't wear YG...

IMG_8389.JPG IMG_8391.JPG IMG_8390.JPG IMG_8388.JPG
IMG_8392.JPG IMG_8393.JPG

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is so wonderful :love::love: wear her in good health!

Take more pics tomorrow!!

Thank you @whitewave!! You know I'm a step cut girl, at heart, but this ring just makes my heart sing!! I love it! The perfect OEC/Baguette combo!!
I'll be sure to take more pix, tomorrow. The weather's been rather inclement, so I'll have to wait for sunshine to get her at her best!! :mrgreen2:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel I still have the yellow gold solitaire. I'll be certain to give you first dibs at it, if I sell it!!! The jeweler was extremely careful, when removing the stone; the head & prongs are in great shape! For now, I'm going to hold onto it. I have a feeling I'll be selling it, down the line, though. I just don't wear YG...

IMG_8389.JPG IMG_8391.JPG IMG_8390.JPG IMG_8388.JPG
IMG_8392.JPG IMG_8393.JPG

Well I'm glad you got to enjoy a ring that's both an heirloom and 100% you. It compliments your e ring beautifully. And yes gimme gimme that soli it's perfect. Lol.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I'm glad you got to enjoy a ring that's both an heirloom and 100% you. It compliments your e ring beautifully. And yes gimme gimme that soli it's perfect. Lol.
lol!! I'm so glad you have an appreciation for the soli!! I have another identical to it, that was my great-grabdmother's, and I'm not allowed to modify or change it; my mother was extremely emphatic. It will remain locked away, unless I wear yellow gold...lol!
You're #1 at the top of the list to get this soli. I won't forget! ;)2
Thank you for the compliment; I really feel like she is at home with my set. Soon, I will have a collection that is my own; some oldies but goodies, and some that are of my own design.
Thank you for sharing in my excitement over "Nancy"!!! :mrgreen2:

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhhhhh!!!! Nancy is so beautiful! I love the story behind her and her name is perfect! I do hope your son doesn't pass up on her! Lovely combination, you did quite well!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and historical...:appl:

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s so beautiful, and I absolutely love the diamond in the setting! A perfect match!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this story. She's beautiful. Congrats!

GeorgieQ

Brilliant_Rock
It looks stunning!! :love: Congratulations on a gorgeous remodel that still captures the antique feel of that beautiful diamond!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a lovely stone and the setting makes her sing! Wear her in good health and happiness

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire, @GearGirly, @HappyNewLife, @GeorgieQ, and @foxinsox:
Thank you all for your lovely words!!! Nancy gives new meaning to the phrase "small but loud"...lol!! She's "average" size, but you can't miss her!! I can't imagine a more fitting setting for this diamond!! It's just breathtaking!! I have admired OEC's on PS for months, now (even have a few on my wish list), and to know that I have had at least one, with the potential of owning THREE, this whole time was just such a welcome surprise! I'm eager to have the other 2 center ER diamonds evaluated. I have a feeling they are OEC's or Transitionals; both were worn between 1880-1935.
I will post more photos, ASAP!!
Thank you for sharing in my joy!! :mrgreen2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out so well! Just beautiful and such a touching story! Wear her in good health and happiness!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out so well! Just beautiful and such a touching story! Wear her in good health and happiness!

Thank you so much!! I'm so excited to wear this beautiful piece!! The journey was the prelude to a climactic ending, and I couldn't be more satisfied with the result! Even DH likes it...lol!! :lol-2:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I absolutely love this & I'm so glad you have made it wearable for your taste! I have to admit & I would have also kept it original & worn it just the way it was, but the new setting is delicious & has a real antique vibe. Love!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful, Matthews! How very fortunate you are to have a family heirloom OEC! It looks beautiful in it's new home! I was thinking someone would absolutely love the original setting! And then I saw Niel called it! It looks like it is in nice condition and we know the exact size stone it will need! I am sure your aunt would be so pleased to have her diamond cherished by another generation. Interestingly, you know I just got a new ring in memory of my aunt. And we have three generations with the name Caroline...my daughter, my sister, and my aunt!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's turned our beautifully @Matthews1127 I'm so pleased you and Bostonberry found each other to create such a lovely piece.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this story Nancy is beautiful! :love:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhhhh!!!! Nancy is so beautiful! I love the story behind her and her name is perfect! I do hope your son doesn't pass up on her! Lovely combination, you did quite well!

I hope he doesn't, either. He has seen it, and he knows my intent. Right now, he's focused on college & Lacrosse, but, someday, I believe he'll appreciate it. ;)2

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's beautiful! it is a perfect fit on your hand and in the new setting. :wavey::wavey::love::love:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful, Matthews! How very fortunate you are to have a family heirloom OEC! It looks beautiful in it's new home! I was thinking someone would absolutely love the original setting! And then I saw Niel called it! It looks like it is in nice condition and we know the exact size stone it will need! I am sure your aunt would be so pleased to have her diamond cherished by another generation. Interestingly, you know I just got a new ring in memory of my aunt. And we have three generations with the name Caroline...my daughter, my sister, and my aunt!

Yes!! What a beautiful tribute!! Family history is so fun, and sharing jewelry with future generations is such a joy!

Shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
Oh my! It's BEAUTIFUL and has so much meaning! I actually love how much thought you put into each piece of jewelry you have, like who will have it in the future etc. I have 3 boys and 3 substantial e-rings and 4 smaller e-rings, we'll see what their future partners will like, if any at all.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my! It's BEAUTIFUL and has so much meaning! I actually love how much thought you put into each piece of jewelry you have, like who will have it in the future etc. I have 3 boys and 3 substantial e-rings and 4 smaller e-rings, we'll see what their future partners will like, if any at all.

Thank you, Shopaholic!! I'm a sentimental sap...lol! Up until my DH proposed, last year, all of the diamonds in my jewelry box were handed down to me. Family pieces have always been a big deal, in my family, and I have always been the type to concentrate on pieces that have some sort of meaning/significance to me. I have never worn jewelry simply for the sake of wearing jewelry; it has to be special (gifted or inherited), or significant (birthstones, mark a special occasion).
This ring fits all of these qualifications, and more...
:mrgreen2:

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, that is SO beautiful!! It was utterly gorgeous in the solitaire but something about the combination of that stone with this setting is just...perfect. I love it. You have a good eye for this!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, that is SO beautiful!! It was utterly gorgeous in the solitaire but something about the combination of that stone with this setting is just...perfect. I love it. You have a good eye for this!

I appreciate your compliment more than I can express!! That is so amazingly kind of you to say!!
I am having so much fun recreating older pieces, and creating bespoke pieces, on my own! I'll be certain to share more, as each project is completed!!! :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results