shape
carat
color
clarity

Proof That Obama Is An Elitist-He Uses Grey Poupon Mustard!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:01:57 PM
Author: Linda W

Date: 11/10/2008 12:53:27 PM
Author: JulieN
ladies, this is a little off topic, but what is your favorite domestic canned tuna? oil or water packed is fine.

We like Chicken Of The Sea, packed in Water.
Me too.
18.gif

MaggieB

Brilliant_Rock

ladies, this is a little off topic, but what is your favorite domestic canned tuna? oil or water packed is fine.

I don''t even like canned tuna, only lightly seared sushi grade, so I guess that makes me super-ultra-califragilstic elite. On the other hand, I tried to talk my fiance into serving Popeye''s Fried Chicken at our rehearsal dinner, so perhaps it all balances out
2.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:10:42 PM
Author: MaggieB

I don''t even like canned tuna, only lightly seared sushi grade, so I guess that makes me super-ultra-califragilstic elite. On the other hand, I tried to talk my fiance into serving Popeye''s Fried Chicken at our rehearsal dinner, so perhaps it all balances out
2.gif

I have never had fresh tuna before. Always wanted to try it, but it looks raw the way I saw it cooked on the cooking channel. That made me laugh about Popeye''s Fried Chicken
9.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Linda, tuna is the only fish that has no parasites, so you don''t have to cook it through.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:26:24 PM
Linda, tuna is the only fish that has no parasites, so you don''t have to cook it through.

Oh OK, that is good to know, I didn''t know that. I still wonder what it tastes like.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
MaggieB--Poor Obama and his special mustard! (I am so the same way, if I were to run for political office, I''d have to start carrying condiments around with me. Could I have a special Condiment Aide? Thoughts?) BTW--LMAO at this:

"super-ultra-califragilstic elite"

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet pickles/relish =
14.gif

I always have to have water packed Albacore tuna. I''m elite like that. No other tuna is good enough. (You can blame my mom. She''s even more tuna-listic elite than I am! But she likes hers with pickles. Ew.)

Thing2...I got out of bed last night (I couldn''t sleep) and came into the living room TO EAT SALTINES. This is totally your fault.
29.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:30:01 PM
Author: FrekeChild
MaggieB--Poor Obama and his special mustard! (I am so the same way, if I were to run for political office, I''d have to start carrying condiments around with me. Could I have a special Condiment Aide? Thoughts?) BTW--LMAO at this:

''super-ultra-califragilstic elite''

Sweet pickles/relish =
14.gif

I always have to have water packed Albacore tuna. I''m elite like that. No other tuna is good enough. (You can blame my mom. She''s even more tuna-listic elite than I am! But she likes hers with pickles. Ew.)

Thing2...I got out of bed last night (I couldn''t sleep) and came into the living room TO EAT SALTINES. This is totally your fault.
29.gif

Yummmmmm, saltines with peanut butter is excellent too!!!!!
18.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:29:09 PM
Date: 11/10/2008 1:26:24 PM
Linda, tuna is the only fish that has no parasites, so you don't have to cook it through.
Oh OK, that is good to know, I didn't know that. I still wonder what it tastes like.
Any fish that is under cooked or raw should never smell or taste like "stinky fish smell" (technical term used by us Culinary Elitists). If you go to a sushi place and it smells like that, I'll quote Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!".

Raw fish should taste vaguely like the way the ocean smells (salty water), and the undercooked stuff will taste something between the salty water and the cooked stuff.

Personally, I'll eat fish any way you want to cook it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

2.gif
Uh, hello...only the ELITE know that Popeye''s is the best! TGuy won''t TOUCH KFC since I have introduced him to popeyes. Damn you...TGuy and I are starting a new health regime today and now I want Popeyes. I guess we can have Tuna for dinner?

I also to chicken of the sea white albacore packed in water (because I think that is what they sell at Costco?)

The one thing I can''t find in the U.S. is flavored tuna for TGuy. He said in Australia Tuna comes in these little cans with different spices like curry or whatever. He said he''d take it right out of the can, put it on lettuce and bon appetit! He really wants to find something like that but I''ve never seen anything like that here? Anyone know of such a thing?

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke: I can''t stand ordering fish in a restaurant, especially sole. It always smells fishy. When I purchase shrimp (small ones) at the grocery store, they always smell fishy.
14.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:37:31 PM
Author: TravelingGal

2.gif

Uh, hello...only the ELITE know that Popeye''s is the best! TGuy won''t TOUCH KFC since I have introduced him to popeyes. Damn you...TGuy and I are starting a new health regime today and now I want Popeyes. I guess we can have Tuna for dinner?

I also to chicken of the sea white albacore packed in water (because I think that is what they sell at Costco?)

The one thing I can''t find in the U.S. is flavored tuna for TGuy. He said in Australia Tuna comes in these little cans with different spices like curry or whatever. He said he''d take it right out of the can, put it on lettuce and bon appetit! He really wants to find something like that but I''ve never seen anything like that here? Anyone know of such a thing?

T-gal, I wonder if they would sell something like that at Trader Joe''s??? They seem to have everything there.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

Sweet pickles/relish =
14.gif
That is how I feel; I can't even smell it or I start to gag!!! When I am at Costco and we eat in the little food court and we need napkins I have hubby go get them because I can't stand the smell of relish.
emotion-41.gif
MY family loves it which makes me wish that I would too. bummer
There have been times I thought sweet pickles are baby dills and the moment I bit into one I can sooo tell the difference.
14.gif

I do love arugula
9.gif

TGAL have you seen these flavored ones??? http://www.starkist.com/

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal--I have to admit that sounds a bit odd, probably because we don''t have it here, but maybe you could try to find some store on the internet that sells that, and give it to him for Christmas (or whatever--I like presents on days I don''t expect them!). Heck, now that I think about it more, it sounds kind of good. Hmmmm...

Linda I''m a Fresh Fish Elitist too, I''ll admit. I only buy fresh (as in, not frozen) fish from Whole Foods, and that''s at the fish counter. I once bought from Smiths and I opened up the package, and the smell instantly activated my gag reflex. After that, I only go for Whole Foods or fish markets. Anything that smells fishy cooked is
14.gif
, unless it''s mackerel or another one of those really fishy fishes.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:43:31 PM
Author: Skippy123

Sweet pickles/relish =
14.gif
That is how I feel; I can''t even smell it or I start to gag!!! When I am at Costco and we eat in the little food court and we need napkins I have hubby go get them because I can''t stand the smell of relish.
emotion-41.gif

There have been times I thought sweet pickles are baby dills and the moment I bit into one I can sooo tell the difference.
14.gif
Oh Skippy! My mom loves sweet pickles (but not in her tuna!) and sometimes she''ll set some out on a plate, and I can''t tell you how many times I''ve picked one up, bitten into it, and immediately spat it back out. EW!!!!

vintagecushion

Shiny_Rock
Count me in as another fresh fish elitist.
In fact, I''m going to go ahead and mention....sushi! Mmmm.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:48:48 PM

Date: 11/10/2008 1:43:31 PM

Sweet pickles/relish =
14.gif
That is how I feel; I can't even smell it or I start to gag!!! When I am at Costco and we eat in the little food court and we need napkins I have hubby go get them because I can't stand the smell of relish.
emotion-41.gif

14.gif
Oh Skippy! My mom loves sweet pickles (but not in her tuna!) and sometimes she'll set some out on a plate, and I can't tell you how many times I've picked one up, bitten into it, and immediately spat it back out. EW!!!!
FC LOL (to picturing you make a face),
lol.gif
that is AWFUL and I feel your pain though!!!
12.gif
15.gif
The smell gets me big time. bleh bleh bleh bleh
14.gif
14.gif

Speaking of tuna salad have you tried the Chicken salad at Christy Mae's? Oh my GOODNESS, it is delicious
18.gif
chicken breast in mayo, walnuts and grapes, yummy, with a side of banana bread. Pure heaven. hehe
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:52:50 PM
lol.gif
12.gif
15.gif
14.gif
14.gif

Speaking of tuna salad have you tried the Chicken salad at Christy Mae''s? Oh my GOODNESS, it is delicious
18.gif
chicken breast in mayo, walnuts and grapes, yummy, with a side of banana bread. Pure heaven. hehe
9.gif
Skippy! I haven''t, but my dad used to get it all of the time (his office orders food from there for their weekly meetings) and he''s a picky eater, so I bet it''s good. We don''t live that far away from there, so maybe I''ll try to talk FF into going over there sometime. The chicken salad sounds really yummy.

Also, I''m thinking I can probably get him to try Relish sometime. His friend recommended it to him, and now he''s all ready to try it! Lol.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:58:11 PM

Date: 11/10/2008 1:52:50 PM
lol.gif
12.gif
15.gif
14.gif
14.gif

Speaking of tuna salad have you tried the Chicken salad at Christy Mae''s? Oh my GOODNESS, it is delicious
18.gif
9.gif
Skippy! I haven''t, but my dad used to get it all of the time (his office orders food from there for their weekly meetings) and he''s a picky eater, so I bet it''s good. We don''t live that far away from there, so maybe I''ll try to talk FF into going over there sometime. The chicken salad sounds really yummy.

Also, I''m thinking I can probably get him to try Relish sometime. His friend recommended it to him, and now he''s all ready to try it! Lol.
Yes, try the Le Chicken, w/the banana bread. Relish (thank goodness) I never saw relish there but the Cubano is yummy; the sandwich does have a pickle in it but it isn''t a sweet pickle and you can ask for it on the side too. Oh, I hope they have the Nutella sandwich when you go too, yummmmy!!! Keep me posted! I have never known anyone who doesn''t love that place
18.gif
hehe
41.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your help ladies. Linda, I have not seen them at TJ''s. Skippy, I think that is a mix? What he is looking for is the tuna already seasoned in the can. I am going to check this out when I go to Oz next month. I haven''t searched hard for it here, but I do take a look when I am the stores and nada!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal - you can get these at Ralph''s. I love the Spicy Thai Chili one.

http://www.bumblebee.com/Products/Family/?Family_ID=8

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 2:45:05 PM
Author: LAJennifer

TravelingGal - you can get these at Ralph''s. I love the Spicy Thai Chili one.

http://www.bumblebee.com/Products/Family/?Family_ID=8
Ooh La Jennifer, thank you SO much! That''s exactly it! I haven''t been to Ralphs in the 13 years I''ve lived here, so I will have to go and scope one out! I should have done the tuna search myself, but I was being lazy, sorry!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, I got off my lazy bum and did a search (honestly, it's because most of the time I forget to do this) and what came up as the top link...the australian version of this which apparently is being shipped here. LAJennifer, apparently the bumblebee one is now the competition according to this article...

http://www.thenibble.com/zine/archives/gday-gourmet-canned-tuna.asp

ETA, they sell the G'Day canned tuna at whole foods. Going to go buy a bunch...so excited as TGuy has really been missing these. Apparently the bumblebee has sugar in it (which I would like) but Australian seem to prefer savory. TGuy is always on the search of good bread here since he says most of the store brands are too sweet.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 3:04:27 PM
OK, I got off my lazy bum and did a search (honestly, it''s because most of the time I forget to do this) and what came up as the top link...the australian version of this which apparently is being shipped here. LAJennifer, apparently the bumblebee one is now the competition according to this article...

http://www.thenibble.com/zine/archives/gday-gourmet-canned-tuna.asp
Yum! Must make my way to Wholefoods!

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
I finally gave in and made myself a tuna melt for lunch. Mmmmm!

TGal, have you tried giving your guy the Korean tuna cans? I know there''s veggie tuna and red pepper tuna, and one other flavor that I can''t recall - I think it was kimchi tuna but I''m not sure.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 3:38:22 PM
Author: onvacation

TGal, have you tried giving your guy the Korean tuna cans? I know there''s veggie tuna and red pepper tuna, and one other flavor that I can''t recall - I think it was kimchi tuna but I''m not sure.
There''s KOREAN tuna cans?
23.gif

I guess I should go to the Korean market more often!

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 3:40:34 PM

Date: 11/10/2008 3:38:22 PM
Author: onvacation

There''s KOREAN tuna cans?
23.gif

I guess I should go to the Korean market more often!
LOL, yeah. IMHO they''re so much better than Starkist or Chicken-of-the-Sea - it''s chunkier and more flavorful and less fishy. For me, there''s something about big pieces in the can that makes it seem higher quality. It''s also a bit more expensive, but if you''re eating it straight out of a can it''s worth it. Not so much if you''re cooking with it. The flavored cans are good for dumping over a bowl of rice and eating in front of the TV on nights you don''t want to cook! Add in some spring greens and sesame oil and it''s like a fake-o bibimbap or hwedupbap.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TUNA BULLETIN!!!

Just got back from my local Target and there were *three* different flavored varieties of Chicken of the Sea canned tuna. "Indian" "Lemon Pepper" and one other I can't remember now - aigh!! I bet the Indian one would be curry-esque?

And I found these Starkist ones online ... though they aren't what I saw in the store. Hmmmmm.

ETA: OOPS. It was Bumble Bee!!!! And it wasn't "Indian" .. it was "Spicy THAI Chili", "Lemon & Cracked Pepper" & "Sundried Tomato & Basi".
3.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 5:59:02 PM
Author: decodelighted
TUNA BULLETIN!!!

Just got back from my local Target and there were *three* different flavored varieties of Chicken of the Sea canned tuna. ''Indian'' ''Lemon Pepper'' and one other I can''t remember now - aigh!! I bet the Indian one would be curry-esque?

And I found these Starkist ones online ... though they aren''t what I saw in the store. Hmmmmm.

OH BOY!!!! Thank You Miss Deco!!!!!!! Those sound DELICIOUS!!! I adore Pesto, in fact they all look yummy
18.gif
. I am going to Target tomorrow and stock up.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 11:13:10 AM
NO NO NO, sour pickle relish in tuna, it has to be sweet pickle relish.
9.gif
hi501.gif
You got that right sista.
9.gif

purr, anytime!

Tgal, your recipe was doing just fine, until, the GP.
38.gif

I usually buy Bumble Bee if nothing''s on sale.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 6:05:31 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 11/10/2008 11:13:10 AM
NO NO NO, sour pickle relish in tuna, it has to be sweet pickle relish.
9.gif
hi501.gif
You got that right sista.
9.gif

purr, anytime!

Tgal, your recipe was doing just fine, until, the GP.
38.gif

I usually buy Bumble Bee if nothing's on sale.
I love Bumble Bee; that tuna is my favorite. What is GP???

eta: as a side note I was at Trader Joe's and there are no flavored tunas. (gosh, saying flavored tunas sounds weird). flavors added to the tuna.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results