shape
carat
color
clarity

Announcement PriceScope Upgrade of October 7th

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we please adjust the photos that are displayed?

In a lot of my threads there are full size photos embedded into the post text, and at the bottom there are “file uploads” of the same photos.

The file uploads never showed up in pre upgrade PS. Can we go back to that behaviour?

Because the file uploads never showed up for years, and only the photos embedded in the post text were visible, over the years I got a little careless about not deleting those oopsie “file uploads” that I didn’t “insert into post”. That’s totally on me. Now that everything is visible after the upgrade there are some photos that I do NOT want to be public for privacy reasons. But I can’t remove them myself and I’d rather not go through years of threads and posts to find them and report them one by one and probably miss some along the way :???:

Pretty please can we change this behaviour back to what it used to be @psadmin?

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s an (innocuous, just annoying) example of what I mean.

When I made this post, I “uploaded” some photos from my laptop, then “inserted them” into the post text. I did not remove the file uploads themselves. I did not insert all the photos I uploaded into the post text.

Before upgrade all you could see were the full size photos inserted into the post. Now, after the PS upgrade, you can see the attachments as well as the full size photos I inserted. Thy show up in both desktop and mobile. I’m not sure if now newly created threads (threads made post upgrade) have the old behaviour, but preupgrade threads still show everything?

I’m going through all my threads to tag uploads for delete - it’s a privacy concern for me.

55D4C031-A8C4-494E-B144-2CFF2E3DF745.jpeg

Alternatively, can we be permitted to delete our own photos/uploads for a short time (a few days), so that people like me can permanently resolve this issue for any future forum upgrades?

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now that everything is visible after the upgrade there are some photos that I do NOT want to be public for privacy reasons. But I can’t remove them myself and I’d rather not go through years of threads and posts to find them and report them one by one and probably miss some along the way :???:

Yup, that would be a nice option to have.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Echo the concern with spam posts. Not sure if bots are creating the accounts and simply adding a few security measures will resolve the issue or not.

Alternatively or additionally, maybe a cooling off period of 5-10 posts are required before you can create a new thread?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Echo the concern with spam posts. Not sure if bots are creating the accounts and simply adding a few security measures will resolve the issue or not.

Alternatively or additionally, maybe a cooling off period of 5-10 posts are required before you can create a new thread?
They have taken over RT. :angryfire:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On other forums I maintained control of images by hosting files elsewhere and hotlinking them.

Two problems.

1. Depending on popularity, host plan, etc you can quickly exceed FREE bandwidth allowances and then people see red X's. Nice thing is you simply delete at the host and it's gone on the forums or wherever else you posted (assuming you hotlinked and didn't upload).

2. Here it seems uploading or hotlinking a pic creates a version they store on the server so they maintain control. This was probably done with the intent such practice prevents old threads from having defunct data. It's very annoying when you find an old post (elsewhere, not here) and the photos describing issues/fixes are gone. It devalues the forum in a sense.

Although rare, a third problem can also exist when users get control. You have a member that contributes loads of tech data. This user and the forum mods fight over something. The user decides he/she will post elsewhere and/or start their own forum. They intentionally delete all their posts, images, etc before they leave or get banned.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Can we please adjust the photos that are displayed?

In a lot of my threads there are full size photos embedded into the post text, and at the bottom there are “file uploads” of the same photos.

The file uploads never showed up in pre upgrade PS. Can we go back to that behaviour?

Because the file uploads never showed up for years, and only the photos embedded in the post text were visible, over the years I got a little careless about not deleting those oopsie “file uploads” that I didn’t “insert into post”. That’s totally on me. Now that everything is visible after the upgrade there are some photos that I do NOT want to be public for privacy reasons. But I can’t remove them myself and I’d rather not go through years of threads and posts to find them and report them one by one and probably miss some along the way :???:

The goal is to bring it to what it was before.

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!
First, thanks so much for all your hard work to update this forum.

I haven’t read through all of this thread, so apologies if this was mentioned earlier. The issue I am having is that when you click on a user name, there no longer seems to be a way to see threads They have started. This was an incredibly useful feature. Now, instead of seeing either total messages (which would show all messages, both for threads a user started and threads others started) or threads started, the only choice seems to be messages, which shows you everything.

Let me know if there’s something I’m missing.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure if this has already been mentioned...

When I insert quotes for multiple messages, it lumps them all together with no breaks in between. I have to go through it to space out the quotes manually before I can write back to anyone. All based on seeing the word “quote” in brackets. I find it a little frustrating.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I go into a thread, it takes me to the first page instead of where I left off. I also have no page numbers to select now so have one page ahead or jump to the end.

Just started today (I'm pretty sure!)

Thanks for all the hard work and some nice looking updates!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here’s an (innocuous, just annoying) example of what I mean.

When I made this post, I “uploaded” some photos from my laptop, then “inserted them” into the post text. I did not remove the file uploads themselves. I did not insert all the photos I uploaded into the post text.

Before upgrade all you could see were the full size photos inserted into the post. Now, after the PS upgrade, you can see the attachments as well as the full size photos I inserted. Thy show up in both desktop and mobile. I’m not sure if now newly created threads (threads made post upgrade) have the old behaviour, but preupgrade threads still show everything?

I’m going through all my threads to tag uploads for delete - it’s a privacy concern for me.

55D4C031-A8C4-494E-B144-2CFF2E3DF745.jpeg

Alternatively, can we be permitted to delete our own photos/uploads for a short time (a few days), so that people like me can permanently resolve this issue for any future forum upgrades?

I hadn’t noticed this and it’s very concerning. Great spot.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know I flip open lots of tabs, normally to reference multiple things when writing a post. Often I get this little error when I go to upload a picture, or post.

Capture105.PNG

The quick fix is a simple refresh. And as I have learned (the hard way), you better select and copy all your text in the post you composed, or you will likely lose all, or a portion, of what you had typed up.

So with the refresh fixing the problem, it's like security login protocols are timing out. I am using the new system as I did the old. So I am thinking updating a time setting for timeouts and also updating a setting that allows multiple tabs/credentials to be running concurrently.

Hopefully that makes sense.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another issue that I mentioned earlier, and still isn't addressed is that when using the full site, you get an indicator in parenthesis indicating the number of new alerts you have. This is new and I really like the feature.

However, it appears the default setting is 1. So when I have no alerts it shows (1). If I were to receive a single new alert, it would show as (2). In the event, I had 5 new alerts it would show as (6).

You get the point. It's starting point is 1, instead of 0. Can this be fixed?

Capture107.PNG

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Another issue that I mentioned earlier, and still isn't addressed is that when using the full site, you get an indicator in parenthesis indicating the number of new alerts you have. This is new and I really like the feature.

However, it appears the default setting is 1. So when I have no alerts it shows (1). If I were to receive a single new alert, it would show as (2). In the event, I had 5 new alerts it would show as (6).

Capture107.PNG

It's so odd that you experience this -- I have not experienced it once since the update o_O

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so odd that you experience this -- I have not experienced it once since the update o_O

Haha, being normal has never been my thing.

Seriously though, it happens on multiple machines. Currently all those are running Win10, and Chrome. I can get versions if needed.

Being a photographer, are you running Apple by chance? Wondering if the platform is causing the issue? Guess I could fire up a Linux distro and see if it replicates there. I got rid of my last Macbook not long ago, so testing OS X would be more difficult although I may be able to emulate an environment.

amoline

Shiny_Rock
Haha, being normal has never been my thing.

Seriously though, it happens on multiple machines. Currently all those are running Win10, and Chrome. I can get versions if needed.

Being a photographer, are you running Apple by chance? Wondering if the platform is causing the issue? Guess I could fire up a Linux distro and see if it replicates there. I got rid of my last Macbook not long ago, so testing OS X would be more difficult although I may be able to emulate an environment.

I'm usually on my MacBook, indeed, but I also have a self-built PC super workstation running Windows 10 that I use for heavy editing, etc. and I haven't encountered that on there, either.

Glad to share specs of either the PC or MacBook if you'd like to compare.

I don't use incognito mode on Chrome, though, so I wonder if that has something to do with something in the chain not "remembering."

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm usually on my MacBook, indeed, but I also have a self-built PC super workstation running Windows 10 that I use for heavy editing, etc. and I haven't encountered that on there, either.

Glad to share specs of either the PC or MacBook if you'd like to compare.

I don't use incognito mode on Chrome, though, so I wonder if that has something to do with something in the chain not "remembering."

Indeed, an odd issue.

FYI, I wasn't running Incognito earlier. I just happen to use the built-in dark theme because black is my favorite color.

It's hard to see in the screen cap above, but you can barely see the user icon. It's different than when running incognito.

Capture300.PNG

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock
This is very late in coming. The number of third party advertisements are throughout the discussions is awful. Trying to read through discussions while trying to cross out pop ups. Help.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
This is very late in coming. The number of third party advertisements are throughout the discussions is awful. Trying to read through discussions while trying to cross out pop ups. Help.

I was having that problem and it was horrific... Until I realised I wasn't logged in. As soon as I logged in it thankfully went away. But you've posted here, so clearly you're logged in... I'm afraid I don't have a solution, however, sympathies, and I hope admin can resolve this for you!

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The smiley faces under the text box aren’t working for me. When I click on the face nothing happens. Smiley faces on top of the text box are fine :doh:

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
I’m not sure if this has already been mentioned...

When I insert quotes for multiple messages, it lumps them all together with no breaks in between. I have to go through it to space out the quotes manually before I can write back to anyone. All based on seeing the word “quote” in brackets. I find it a little frustrating.

Sorry got a bit sick over the week., but still working on things.

We plan to add a line between each quoted post next week.

Hopefully, that will make it easier.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
When I go into a thread, it takes me to the first page instead of where I left off. I also have no page numbers to select now so have one page ahead or jump to the end.

Just started today (I'm pretty sure!)

Thanks for all the hard work and some nice looking updates!

Will look into it. It should take you to the last seen post.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
I know I flip open lots of tabs, normally to reference multiple things when writing a post. Often I get this little error when I go to upload a picture, or post.

Capture105.PNG

The quick fix is a simple refresh. And as I have learned (the hard way), you better select and copy all your text in the post you composed, or you will likely lose all, or a portion, of what you had typed up.

So with the refresh fixing the problem, it's like security login protocols are timing out. I am using the new system as I did the old. So I am thinking updating a time setting for timeouts and also updating a setting that allows multiple tabs/credentials to be running concurrently.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Yeah, the new system has different security stuff. Trying to figure out this out and tweaking it.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium

Capture107.PNG

This is part of the core and we want to make sure we don't break anything. I will just remove the top part for now to reduce confusion.

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
The smiley faces under the text box aren’t working for me. When I click on the face nothing happens. Smiley faces on top of the text box are fine :doh:

Smiley test! :confused:;)2:tongue::Up_to_something::whistle::|:blackeye::blackeye:

If you click on the Smilies tab do they show up? Are you on Mobile or desktop? What browser? I am unable to reproduce this?

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Indeed, an odd issue.

FYI, I wasn't running Incognito earlier. I just happen to use the built-in dark theme because black is my favorite color.

It's hard to see in the screen cap above, but you can barely see the user icon. It's different than when running incognito.

Capture300.PNG

I see the issue as well. Using a Macbook pro. Other forums have seen this too. I am hoping they will fix it. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results