shape
carat
color
clarity

Positive thoughts for my Dad, please?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, sending more healing dust to your dad.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks DF. You and my dad would get along so well. I've told you before that you remind me a lot of my dad. Stay in good health for your girls and your wife.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1373690678|3482242 said:
Thanks DF. You and my dad would get along so well. I've told you before that you remind me a lot of my dad. Stay in good health for your girls and your wife.
:Up_to_something: I ain't that old!.. :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1373693240|3482255 said:

I know, sorry. You're what, 42? LOL. Thanks for the laugh!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1373694146|3482260 said:
Dancing Fire|1373693240|3482255 said:

I know, sorry. You're what, 42? LOL. Thanks for the laugh!
I am about 18 yrs older than you... ;))

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sorry to hear this Monnie, prayers continued.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, I am so sorry to hear about the cancer. Many many prayers for your Dad, and your family.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Monnie -

I'm sorry to hear about your father's diagnosis. It's always tough.

My husband has been dealing with cancer (leukemia/lymphoma) for 16 years so I offer the following based on our experiences:

1. Support and respect your father's treatment choices. Your father will be facing a variety of choices regarding treatment now that there is a recurrence. The best thing you can do is support and respect his decisions about treatment, even if it's not what you would choose for him or yourself. Everyone should have the right to decide what path they travel, including the ability to say no or stop. You'd want this right for yourself so let your father have it as well. This can be the hardest of all for the family members to do.

2. Respect your parents' coping mechanisms. Some people like to talk about what's going on with them, including bad news, their feelings and fears. Others prefer to stay quiet or in denial. Respect whatever your parents' coping mechanisms are, even if it's harder for you. Also, it's okay for people to feel sad or unhappy about what's happened. It's a natural response and people shouldn't feel pressured to stay positive all the time. It's not going to endanger their treatment or recovery to think cancer sucks, and not want to stop and smell the roses. Some people remain positive and that's their coping mechanism, but for others it's not and that's okay too. And assuming your parents are still married, don't assume they have the same coping mechanisms. Honor both of theirs, even if they are different. It gets tricky, but you'll figure it out. Obviously, a coping mechanism such as excessive drinking or gambling or something bad should be viewed differently.

3. Help the caregiver. Your mother or whoever your dad's primary caregiver is will be going through something traumatic too so don't forget about making sure they're okay too. Sometimes it's just easier to do things for them than to ask what they need. Sometimes, it's the reverse. Keep your eyes and ears open on how you can help.

4. Don't snowball. Don't imagine all the bad things that could happen and then let it snowball into the worst case scenario. All you'll do is give yourself a big ball of worry. Focus on what's happening now and not on what could be down the road. If you let your thoughts snowball, you'll end up worrying about things that might not even happen and you will not have changed anything for the better.

Those are some of the big things we've learned. Feel free to ask anything else you want. I wish you and your family all the best.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so sad to hear its returned. Damn cancer!! I'm sorry for all the turmoil you, your family and mainly your dad is now going thru. Just be patient w each other. No one is going to be coping well right now- take it easy on yourselves.

Prayers for a calm and easy journey ahead...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monnie, just checking in to let you know I'm thinking about you and your dad!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My thoughts are with you and your family, too, Monnie.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all SO MUCH. Reading your responses has truly given me strength and hope.

Quick update: he was released on Saturday (my mom isn't happy about it) and is at home with oxygen tanks. He will apparently only use the oxygen when he feels like he needs it, instead of the prescribed around the clock version. He tried to go back to "work" this morning, and lasted an hour. His bc was sent to Mayo this week and results won't be in until Friday. Yet my patents are already trying to determine where he will be treated and etc.

Rainwood, your post means the world. I know. I get it. I get all of what you posted. And believe me, I have removed myself from all of it for years. Tricky part is now that I'm closer to them geographically, making sure that I just support and don't hinder.

This is a very tough part of the life cycle. I can do this.

Thanks again for all the support. Please know that I am reading and hearing everything you all have to say.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Monarch, all I can say is that in reading your posts I have to conclude that you are a fabulous daughter, and can only be seen as helpful by your parents. You are so mature and show so much grace in handling some immensely tough stuff about your Dad. It sounds like he is in excellent hands. I am sending you, your Mom and Dad love, hugs, dust, prayers - take what whatever works best for you, all or some! I hate that he has some cancer in his lung, but take solace in the fact that it was visible two years ago, which must mean its not super aggressive, correct? That is a good thing!

Big, big hugs to you,

-Minou

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update:

My dad will have surgery this week. The top lobe of his lung will be removed, along with the cancerous mass. They hope to do this laproscopically, (sp?) but may have to open him up from the side instead, won't know until they get in there and see what exactly is going on. My daughter and I met him and my mother for lunch after his cardiac stress test last week and he seemed to be in good spirits. His surgery will happen in my town, and the hospital is just a short drive from my house, so I can hopefully be there to see him before and after. He'll have to go to the cardiac/critical ward right after surgery due to a previous cardiac issue (his heart stopped for 30 minutes after one of his last surgeries several years ago) so they only let one visitor in at a time for 5 minutes. This is set to happen on Tuesday.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words and support.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be thinking of your dad and your entire family. I hope the surgery goes well and he is completely free of cancer after!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts and prayers for you and your dad (and your family) remain with you, Monnie.

rainwood

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Our thoughts go to your dad and all of your family. Hang in there.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fingers crossed that its an easy surgery w a cancer free outcome. DUST DUST DUST to all of you! Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you and your family...

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Thoughts and prayers for an easy, successful surgery!!!! (((Hugs)))

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll be sending all my thoughts and vibes!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs to you and your family -- and prayers for your father and his doctors.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DUST DUST DUST for your dad and family!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1377529587|3509938 said:
DUST DUST DUST for your dad and family!

can't say it any better than that.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Monnie, I'm thinking of you and your father and am sending lots of dust that the surgery goes well this week.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry to hear of your father's cancer. Sending you and your family lots of positive thoughts for a successful surgery.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sending lots of positive thoughts and dust that everything goes smoothly with your father's surgery monarch.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Thinking of you and your family and sending lots of positive vibes :halo:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sending more good thoughts to your Dad, Monnie.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am thinking of your dad Monnie and sending him and your whole family lots of good luck healing dust and many positive vibes for a good outcome and recovery. I will be keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers. ((Hugs))).

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, everyone!

His surgery isn't scheduled until 1 p.m. tomorrow, and we don't know if it will take a couple hours or several hours, depending on what they find when they get in there, so to speak. I will try to update the thread as I'm able.

Today I discovered what's known as a "hardy hibiscus" blooming in our backyard. I don't recall seeing it last summer, or the summer before when we moved into this house, and it wasn't in bloom yesterday. Sounds random, but it's a nice coincidence to me because when I was a baby we lived in Fort Lauderdale and there were lots of hibiscus (the tropical versions!) on the property. One of my very favorite pictures of my dad and me is him holding me next to a hibiscus and I'm grasping a bright red bloom in my hand. The one in our backyard is white. It was a happy surprise this afternoon. I'm not really into signs or whatever, but I thought it was nice and thought I would share:

hibiscus82613.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results