carat
color
clarity

Please Show Me Your Emeralds

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and went through this whole thread of everyone's emeralds... they are so gorgeous.
I love colored gemstones and recently went to the Tucson Gem & Mineral show, my first gem show.
So now, I have fallen in love with emeralds again. The first emerald ring I purchased is a dark Colombian which I now realize I prefer the lighter green (live and learn) after looking at a ton of emeralds at the Tucson show.

Here are some photos I thought I would share. The first 2 photos are the three emeralds I was looking at. I thought for sure I would like the medium dark ones, but it seems my preference is for a lighter green emerald. The last 2 photos are the same larger emerald. I am amazed how different the same emerald looks in different lighting. All the emeralds are from the Muzo mine.

Emerald1.jpg
Emerald2.jpg
Emerald3.jpg
Emerald4.jpg
They are all beautiful, but the larger one has a lovely size. One could fall into the color of it! Congratulations on a lovely stone!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
Exciting to see that we have an emerald thread! I've gone through every page and there are some stunners here, wow :drool: This is my first foray into the emerald club, for our upcoming anniversary - the ring design will be the next challenge haha!
B176BE81-4BC3-4373-AEA6-CDF9D84A4552.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exciting to see that we have an emerald thread! I've gone through every page and there are some stunners here, wow :drool: This is my first foray into the emerald club, for our upcoming anniversary - the ring design will be the next challenge haha!
B176BE81-4BC3-4373-AEA6-CDF9D84A4552.jpeg
How wonderful! What a gorgeous stone. Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Wanaka Hi! I’m an emerald lover too and also purchased a loose stone recently which I posted above. It’s more square shaped like yours. I plan to get a blingy setting by JB Star and really bling it out (already picked out the mounting).

Your stone is lovely. Is it Colombian and may I ask what vendor you purchased it from? I’m always on the hunt for good Colombian emerald dealers as I am thinking now to get matching stones to make earrings. Not sure though as it might be too much.

And Happy Anniversary to you!

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
@Bluegemz Thank you, it's also the first piece of jewellery a man has ever designed for me, and it's something of a trial run to learn about the design process etc. before we start on my future engagement ring. So a lot of happy emotion has already been invested in this emerald :)) I was considering another stone but he said "look you seem to really like the emerald, I don't care if it's more expensive, do you like it or not because I want to get you something you like" (and he thinks an emerald would suit my skin tone) ::)

@Miki Moto Oh that is very exciting, I did see yours but I didn't know you were so far down the mounting/design track. Coolness! I hope you will share the milestones with us here. My stone is Colombian and only lightly oiled. I purchased from Etsy vendor Yvonne Raley (there is a CS thread devoted to her work) whom I have had the pleasure of working with multiple times. She can source stones for you as well as design/set etc. In fact I just saw a pair of round Colombians on her storefront, what do you think? #enabling :mrgreen:

p.s. If I am not allowed to link let me know and I shall remove

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I knew I recognized that emerald, Wanaka! Enjoy it in good health and post lots of pictures once it's set. I want to get either an emerald or tsavorite garnet set in a stacking ring. Yvonne's emeralds are always superb :)

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
I knew I recognized that emerald, Wanaka! Enjoy it in good health and post lots of pictures once it's set. I want to get either an emerald or tsavorite garnet set in a stacking ring. Yvonne's emeralds are always superb :)
Hehe, yes, I was wondering if I should have tagged you seeing as we were just talking on the YR thread about our mutual stalking of her sold pages :lol-2: I actually asked her if it was ok for me to post the emerald on PS, seeing as it's her photo after all, and she was like sure go ahead... so I did.
I think you should get a few stacking rings and then you can have emeralds and tsavorites together, hehe.

Nice to hear your thoughts on her emeralds. I'm having some kittens now, as time is against our side for the ring to get here, seeing as it's a loose stone right now too haha (I live in New Zealand so no USPS or FedEx to the rescue). Our anniversary is in May so the options are:

(1) To get the stone here in time, and hope we find a local jeweller who knows what they're doing with emeralds, and design and set locally;
(2) Ship the stone over in time for our anniversary, and more leisurely work with Yvonne on a CAD design... but then we're back to hoping to find someone local who can make the setting and know how to set the emerald;
(3) design and cast and set with Yvonne and her team... but this option means we lose the right of return (albeit I doubt this will be necessary), run the risk of getting smacked with duties and taxes at the border, and we miss the anniversary deadline.

Can't figure out what to do, and haven't been able to speak to my other half yet - we bought this on impulse less than 24 hours ago and he's away this weekend :lol-2:

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wanaka, I like your thinking re getting an emerald and a tsav :) I have Yvonne's Gatsby ring in platinum with a lovely trillion Tsavorite plus Paraiba and hauynite melee.

As for the emerald setting options, that's tough. If you don't have anyone you trust to set the stone locally, it might be wise to let Yvonne do the work. Her charge is probably going to be less than that of a brick and mortar store and the odds of getting a stunning ring are very high :) She has made a lot of pieces for me and I have yet to be unhappy with an outcome. I would check into the taxes and tariffs issue first before making a commitment. Good luck with the decision making and congratulations on the upcoming anniversary!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180423_085326_103.jpg

This is my emerald under dim lighting! Still considering it for an e ring, but I worry about its hardiness :angel:

Hi! I love emeralds and if you don't mind getting it nicked, then I would not recommend if as an everyday ring. I have an emerald ring with a halo around the emerald and even then, I have nicks on mine. They are not big nicks, and for me, I expect colored gemstones to nick. I have a Ceylon sapphire ring where the girdle is open and I have nicks on that stone too. I wear my rings all the time and do not baby them.

If you are the type that will be really upset with a nick, I would definitely not recommend using an emerald as your engagement ring.

Good luck to you!

Rissyl

Rough_Rock
Hi! I love emeralds and if you don't mind getting it nicked, then I would not recommend if as an everyday ring. I have an emerald ring with a halo around the emerald and even then, I have nicks on mine. They are not big nicks, and for me, I expect colored gemstones to nick. I have a Ceylon sapphire ring where the girdle is open and I have nicks on that stone too. I wear my rings all the time and do not baby them.

If you are the type that will be really upset with a nick, I would definitely not recommend using an emerald as your engagement ring.

Good luck to you!

Thank you for the advice! I'll consider it really carefully, cause I know I'm not too careful a person, but I do love my emerald! Appreciate hearing from someone who has been there, done that! :)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_20180423_085326_103.jpg

This is my emerald under dim lighting! Still considering it for an e ring, but I worry about its hardiness :angel:

HI:

Lovely! FWIW--my Mother has worn her large oval emerald ring (almost daily) for decades. She is not particularly careful. Want to know what broke--the platinum shank!:lol-2: Oval emerald in good stead.

cheers--Sharon

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I am not totally sure how big this forum is and I did post pictures on the antique thread as well awhile ago so sorry if it's overkill!
No way! It’s definitly not overkill. It’s so beautiful, and a great pleasure to see! I hope you wear it because it’s easy to let valuable pieces sit in the box. You inspired me to get mine out and to wear it today.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@diamondsareagirls hi! That is a gorgeous bracelet! Wow! I love emeralds and I mostly wear rings. But now it hsve me thinking again if I should get other pieces like earrings, bracelet, etc...

Your piece is gorgeous and the emeralds are beautiful!

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
That is amazing!!!!

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
D7FE5DB5-A5ED-48FA-961B-DC1F9557D3B7.jpeg F752D12A-07BF-49AA-8D81-96CE14C65F5B.jpeg 09030F0F-E6CD-40AC-B29D-3E33C92DD4E6.jpeg A76284AE-1BC4-4759-A30B-4A6F39FCE384.jpeg 9D7F877D-0956-438F-BA76-0957C0E44586.jpeg Hi all have loved looking at your emeralds ♥️ I am new to emeralds but came across this beautiful old ring and had to have it! I think the Emerald has
A big window in it but am otherwise unsure if it is a good one? I do know that the colour is mesmerising would love to hear your thoughts

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
269298A0-82EC-4131-9607-E07C91A06646.png

Shiny_pretty_things

Rough_Rock
Wow, Miznina, that is just beautiful and I've really enjoyed all the pictures. I see the window in the stone but to be honest, on your finger, it doesn't stand out and all I could see was the glowing colour! I really like the way the diamonds are set so the metal doesn't stand out either. Are you enjoying wearing it? Its absolutely beautiful on you.=)

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That is quite spectacular - do you wear it often?

Not really! It has a formal feel and seems out of place unless I am really dressed up. Maybe I should start just putting it on and enjoying it out of the box more. Although I am also nervous about damaging it somehow!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results