shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with my Asscher cut purchase

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
What am I seeing with red backgroud in relation to the diamonds stacked on your finger? So many, I lose track.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
What am I seeing with red backgroud in relation to the diamonds stacked on your finger? So many, I lose track.

Sorry its a lot of photos and a bit disjointed. I'll recap in a single post here.
The top and middle stone on the finger screenshot are the ones I posted photos of. Not sure I did a good job with the red background to help with validating for leakage.
Does this confirm too much leakage from both stones or is one acceptable over the other or both acceptable?
I feel like top one has more leakage than the middle one?. Is it because that stone has more contrast?
Trying to understand what ideally it should be. Thanks.

photo2.JPG

Top:
IMG_20230308_153606.jpg
IMG_20230308_154541__01.jpg

Middle:
IMG_20230308_153749__01.jpg
IMG_20230308_154520__01__01.jpg

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I'd choose the top one, the center winks at me. Middle is too contrasty, too much going dark at the same time.
I liked your original diamond but if the faint blue bothers you, move on. I thought I would like blue nuance until I saw several photos. I do not like it and I'm not that color-sensitive.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are some shots of the two stones in a ring holder which seems more apparent unless it's the angle I'm taking the photos.
Ultimately would I be making a mistake to try to acquire one of these stones as a final replacement instead of keeping my current one? I'm having a hard time weighing if the blue nuance is better or worse than what these stones bring.

IMG_20230308_154520__01__01.jpg
IMG_20230308_154541__01.jpg

bottom one in this set has a lot less leakage and I would classify it as acceptable, does it dance?

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
I'd choose the top one, the center winks at me. Middle is too contrasty, too much going dark at the same time.
I liked your original diamond but if the faint blue bothers you, move on. I thought I would like blue nuance until I saw several photos. I do not like it and I'm not that color-sensitive.

The top one is more preferred by me as well but I do like the contrast though it does make the stone not appear as icy white. Both are GIA graded E color but no details if HPHT or CVD, in which I just default to CVD as no blue nuances seen.

As you stated, the faint blue nuance does still bother me a bit, though I have to be looking out for it versus it being blatantly apparent in every lighting scenario.
My biggest concern is that I'm trading one flaw for another and in this case, blue nuance for more leakage. Unless, a bit of leakage, is acceptable when it comes to fancy cuts?
The one improvement I see from the top stone would be the step cuts seems to be more uniform in comparison to my current one which I like. I'll have to my a choice soon though. Thanks again for all the help and insight.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
bottom one in this set has a lot less leakage and I would classify it as acceptable, does it dance?

To me they both dance pretty nicely under their storefront lighting, but I don't recall how well in natural lighting as I was focused on the leakage.

I'll ask if they can provide a video of the stones to see if they could capture that.

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What I would do is put that stone in ring holder on a finger by your other one and tour as many light conditions as you can.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
What I would do is put that stone in ring holder on a finger by your other one and tour as many light conditions as you can.

Did you mean the other one as the one I currently have? Unfortunately I'm not sure I can get in another appointment soon enough to compare both. I'll ask if they can squeeze me in for a quick check. That being said I took a few screenshots to hopefully display the under their lighting. Sorry its not greatly detailed and couldn't capture the dancing of each one. But the top (less contrast) seemed to have better light return?

Screenshot_20230309-095036.jpg
Screenshot_20230309-104805.jpg Screenshot_20230309-104819.jpg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Are all these photos under jewelry store lighting?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I could not make a decision in that lighting. Can you pick one and take it home with a return policy?
Years ago a really good goldsmith made a comment about a local jewelry chain. He said, "Pick a piece of broken glass out of the parking lot, take it into Ke____s, it'll look amazing."

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
I could not make a decision in that lighting. Can you pick one and take it home with a return policy?
Years ago a really good goldsmith made a comment about a local jewelry chain. He said, "Pick a piece of broken glass out of the parking lot, take it into Ke____s, it'll look amazing."

I've asked if they could provide ASET images to help with the decision process also seeing if I could take one of the stones home with me for viewing. They do have a return policy for loose stones.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately they were unable to provide an ASET images and would need to send it out to get. The one with less contrast has some green in the center, while the one with more contrast exhibits more red in the center at 0° viewing.

I'm still uncertain if it's worth it to pay more for one or these stones to replace my current one F vvs hpht. I'll be going up to E color, but down in clarity to vs, though neither have the blue nuance. GIA certs doesn't state growth process but I assume it's CVD.

I did attach a few images in different lighting if that helps with judging the better of the two. The darker images are their lighting but I figured it might show pros or cons from either stone?. Otherwise I assume these stones may be a lost cause. Thank you everyone for the help as always.

IMG_20230310_111520__01.jpg
IMG_20230310_111634__01.jpg
IMG_20230310_111848__01.jpg Screenshot_20230310-144700.jpg
Screenshot_20230310-144602.jpg
Left: Screenshot_20230310-145739.jpg
Right: Screenshot_20230310-142108__01.jpg

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I didn't think yours was very blue. Those first 4 photos of the diamond in the ring, blue would never have occurred to me.
Go with whichever appeals to you the most.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
FWIW, I didn't think yours was very blue. Those first 4 photos of the diamond in the ring, blue would never have occurred to me.
Go with whichever appeals to you the most.

Thank you, I don't think it's that blue either. I was just hoping that these two stones might be more of an improvement over the one I have. I initially thought they were but with the discovery of leakage has me second guessing. Appreciate your input throughout this journey.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Call me crazy, but in every photo you just posted, the one on the left looks darker to me.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Call me crazy, but in every photo you just posted, the one on the left looks darker to me.

You're not crazy, the one on the left has a lot of contrast. One of the characteristics of that stone compared to the one on the right. I'm not sure if it has too much contrast or just down to preference when viewing it. They're both E color but the photo with them on the finger. The contrast makes it seem not as icy white as the one on the right.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Would the leakage be unacceptable from these photos?

Screenshot_20230311-120235.jpg
IMG_20230308_162030__02.jpg

Is it the angle or is this proof that stone has leakage?
IMG_20230308_162034__03.jpg

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Can you back your camera up?. It seems like all the pictures are dark, obstruction (shadows) from your head or the camera? Some of the steps should be dark, some light (on).

I am not seeing much play of light (on and off) in these photos. What do your eyes see?

I am seeing what looks like windowing. That can be normal if viewing off to the side, but straight down could be an issue.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Can you back your camera up?. It seems like all the pictures are dark, obstruction (shadows) from your head or the camera? Some of the steps should be dark, some light (on).

I am not seeing much play of light (on and off) in these photos. What do your eyes see?

I am seeing what looks like windowing. That can be normal if viewing off to the side, but straight down could be an issue.

Unfortunately these were taken previously and I think you're right as I believe they were taken the with the phone obstructing the light. Middle photo is more straight down but the bottom photo was slightly tilted.

Hopefully these links work and the videos help since my photography skills are subpar it seems.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Stone 162034 appears very leaky to me. Too much windowing on one side.
The other appears to go all on or all off at once. You want them to roll and twinkle. A hall of mirrors effect that shift and move. The steps go on and off and are super lively. I am not getting the energy on these stones.

For comparison, the movement in this one.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
The other appears to go all on or all off at once. You want them to roll and twinkle. A hall of mirrors effect that shift and move. The steps go on and off and are super lively. I am not getting the energy on these stones.

Thank you, I assume if the videos don't change any minds about one of these stones as a replacement for my current one. Then I'll pass on them.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The videos were fuzzy and the lighting was inconclusive on the videos. I watched it over and over but the focus was weird on the diamonds and pixelated on a close up.

I’m sorry this seems so harsh. We want you to love this stone.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock

Which side seems leaky so I can see if they'll send me a better video to confirm? But your observation about the other stone either being all on or off seems on the mark, now that I think about it.

Just want to say I love the stone size and setting style you chose!

Thank you, that does make me feel better about returning the first stone i started this post with.

The videos were fuzzy and the lighting was inconclusive on the videos. I watched it over and over but the focus was weird on the diamonds and pixelated on a close up.

I’m sorry this seems so harsh. We want you to love this stone.

Sorry about the videos, I'm not how to improve or fix them? The second video is shot in 4k but perhaps the upload makes it lower resolution or my phone's camera is subpar or both .

I don't think it's harsh, I appreciate the community here helping me with choosing that perfect stone. I learn more and more each time and though I haven't gotten it perfect yet. I feel empowered discussing with everyone and happy to receive input on the matter.

Reality is, I don't completely hate the current ring, but I also feel I could find one I would love more. One of the main reasons is the faint blue nuance though not always apparent, as it is on the back of my mind when I look at the stone. Perhaps it's the notion that we stray away from it unless desired. Then again, I'm wanting to be cautious as to not choose something that may be worse.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
My advice would be, don't rush. If you're uncertain, better to wait until the right one comes along. Half the fun is in the hunt!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
return all start from scratch?
That way you dont have a time crunch.
Im not super impressed with any of the new options.

lemonbeagleuws

Rough_Rock
Thank you, I assume if the videos don't change any minds about one of these stones as a replacement for my current one. Then I'll pass on them.

As someone who just obsessed over Asschers for months, I understand your plight...I am not even close to an expert and barely know what I am doing myself, but I agree with others...I don't see any of those three as being standouts...I can't put it in technical terms but they just don't look "right" to me...I think MMTwo said something about the "energy" and liveliness of the stone not being there and I would agree...

I think if you are really investing in this and designing something you love, you should have a stone you love, not one that you keep second guessing

I ended up buying my stone from Debebians in case that's of any help

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
My advice would be, don't rush. If you're uncertain, better to wait until the right one comes along. Half the fun is in the hunt!

return all start from scratch?
That way you dont have a time crunch.
Im not super impressed with any of the new options.

Thank you both for the encouragement as that's actually what is going to happen. Decided to not have to settle on something. So came to the conclusion last night to return the current stone and start looking at options again. I have a few stones lined up for consideration.

As someone who just obsessed over Asschers for months, I understand your plight...I am not even close to an expert and barely know what I am doing myself, but I agree with others...I don't see any of those three as being standouts...I can't put it in technical terms but they just don't look "right" to me...I think MMTwo said something about the "energy" and liveliness of the stone not being there and I would agree...

I think if you are really investing in this and designing something you love, you should have a stone you love, not one that you keep second guessing

I ended up buying my stone from Debebians in case that's of any help

Thank you and I agree, I actually looked at Debebians website. I'm not sure if it's from a post you had or someone else but they are on my radar. I started looking at a few of the approved vendors listed as well.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you. You want to be sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results