shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with my Asscher cut purchase

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Update: I finally received an updated photo of the stone and unfortunately unable to tell if my concerns for the last pavilion being not cut well is still valid or not. I've asked for more photos of it closer up and awaiting them. Does anyone notice any other concerns from this stone I should address or take note of? Thanks in advance PXL_20230208_222354417__01.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: I finally received an updated photo of the stone and unfortunately unable to tell if my concerns for the last pavilion being not cut well is still valid or not. I've asked for more photos of it closer up and awaiting them. Does anyone notice any other concerns from this stone I should address or take note of? Thanks in advance PXL_20230208_222354417__01.jpg

was that the only pic they gave you? It's off center so I can't really tell anything from it.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
was that the only pic they gave you? It's off center so I can't really tell anything from it.

Hi, they sent a few others but are with the person's hand and I wanted to avoid posting out of respect for them. I did try to crop it out but it diminished the details of photo. Unfortunately all of them were further away than I was hoping for so until they send new ones. I feel it may be hard to tell exactly for me unless someone else sees something I missing. 4.jpg 3.jpg

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
It won't be too much harder. An easy way is to look at it in natural light against a white sheet of paper.

I finally have the diamond and ring in person and Im not sure if I'm doing it correctly. Here are some pictures of the diamond against a white paper. Sorry my phone doesn't take the most detailed photos. Any thoughts on blue nuance or cut quality? Thanks IMG_20230220_100337.jpg IMG_20230220_100248.jpg IMG_20230220_100632.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20230217142739333_COVER.jpg IMG_20230217_152020.jpg

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I finally have the diamond and ring in person and Im not sure if I'm doing it correctly. Here are some pictures of the diamond against a white paper. Sorry my phone doesn't take the most detailed photos. Any thoughts on blue nuance or cut quality? Thanks IMG_20230220_100337.jpg IMG_20230220_100248.jpg IMG_20230220_100632.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20230217142739333_COVER.jpg IMG_20230217_152020.jpg

Can you post some photos of the side view against the sheet of paper? I'm seeing a hint of blue in the top view and want to make sure. I'm not well-versed enough with asschers to discern the cut quality, though.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Can you post some photos of the side view against the sheet of paper? I'm seeing a hint of blue in the top view and want to make sure. I'm not well-versed enough with asschers to discern the cut quality, though.

I'm not sure if I captured it properly but here are a few shots.
IMG_20230220_121419__01.jpg IMG_20230220_121334.jpg IMG_20230220_121354.jpg

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if I captured it properly but here are a few shots.
IMG_20230220_121419__01.jpg IMG_20230220_121334.jpg IMG_20230220_121354.jpg

Your pictures are great. Unfortunately, I think I do see some blue nuance.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Your pictures are great. Unfortunately, I think I do see some blue nuance.

Thank you for confirming, unfortunately I'm torn on what to do now with the ring. Would this be considered a return now that it's confirmed to have blue nuance? Is it that pronounced to be an issue from your judgement?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for confirming, unfortunately I'm torn on what to do now with the ring. Would this be considered a return now that it's confirmed to have blue nuance? Is it that pronounced to be an issue from your judgement?

What do you see in person in your usual lighting conditions? If it's not evident to the naked eye or if it doesn't bother you, there's no reason to return for blue nuance.

I'm going to tag @Karl_K to evaluate the cut.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K I just read the article from the post above. It is a great article. Thanks for writing it. It is not an easy topic to make easy to understand.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
re cut quality, does it dance?
As you slowly rotate it side to side it should put on a light show as different parts of the stone fire off.
Can you walk the light across the stone in some conditions?
ie: the different parts of the stone fire off in order as you tilt the stone and they catch a brighter light source.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
What do you see in person in your usual lighting conditions? If it's not evident to the naked eye or if it doesn't bother you, there's no reason to return for blue nuance.

I'm going to tag @Karl_K to evaluate the cut.

Here are some new shots, it's hard for me to not say as I see the blue since the confirmation . But I wouldn't say I am 100% bothered by it. Just I am a disappointed to know it has a blue nuance. IMG_20230220_150933.jpg IMG_20230220_150841.jpg IMG_20230220_144342.jpg

re cut quality, does it dance?
As you slowly rotate it side to side it should put on a light show as different parts of the stone fire off.
Can you walk the light across the stone in some conditions?
ie: the different parts of the stone fire off in order as you tilt the stone and they catch a brighter light source.

Would I need a direct light source pointed at the stone to catch the parts firing off or would just indirect natural lighting be good enough? I can try to post a video if that helps.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are some new shots, it's hard for me to not say as I see the blue since the confirmation . But I wouldn't say I am 100% bothered by it. Just I am a disappointed to know it has a blue nuance. IMG_20230220_150933.jpg IMG_20230220_150841.jpg IMG_20230220_144342.jpg

Would I need a direct light source pointed at the stone to catch the parts firing off or would just indirect natural lighting be good enough? I can try to post a video if that helps.

generally anything but super flat lighting.
Kitchens with can lights should really make it dance.
Outside on a cloudy overcast day not so much.

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
What about taking some videos in different lighting situations. You can use your phone camera. You have to create a YouTube or Rumble account (there are others) which is free, and upload the video. If you make it private, only people with the link (which you would post here) can view it.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some new shots, it's hard for me to not say as I see the blue since the confirmation . But I wouldn't say I am 100% bothered by it. Just I am a disappointed to know it has a blue nuance.

I think since you know it has blue nuance and are disappointed by knowing that, it might be best to return it. IMO a diamond should completely make your heart sing.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Did you see blue before it was posted here that someone else did? You know where I'm going with this. If you hadn't brought it up, I don't think I would have seen anything. Not that my eyes are that sharp. But do you love the cut, the look?

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Did you see blue before it was posted here that someone else did? You know where I'm going with this. If you hadn't brought it up, I don't think I would have seen anything. Not that my eyes are that sharp. But do you love the cut, the look?

I did have notions that I saw blue but was assuming it could be reflections. That's why I posted to make sure it wasn't just my imagination. As you stated though that after confirmation, I'm definitely seeing more often than not.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So after having lived with the stone, the blue nuance doesn't completely distract from enjoying the stone. That being said, I've taken liberty into reserving a few stones as alternatives. They don't seem to be HPHT as no blue nuance but I can't distinguish striations or flaws for CVD. Any thoughts on one over the other? Thanks in advance @Kim N @Karl_K

There isn't one that really stands out.
More pics? Numbers from the report?

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
There isn't one that really stands out.
More pics? Numbers from the report?
Unfortunately, no pics that are taken separately or close up. Not sure if you meant reports themselves but here at the stats in the same order as well from top to bottom in the screenshots. Which correspond to the order of videos. If you wanted the reports, let me know and I can upload them as well.

1.png
Table 63.00% Depth % 64.90% Ratio 1.01Thick girdle

2.jpg
Table 67.00% Depth % 64.80% Ratio 1 Thick girdle

3.jpg
Table 62.50% Depth % 67.00% Ratio 1.02 Medium girdle

photo1.JPG
photo2.JPG

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the shots on the hand look at all the skin visible through the diamonds.
That is way to much leakage which I was seeing in the video just not clear enough to be 100% sure.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
In the shots on the hand look at all the skin visible through the diamonds.
That is way to much leakage which I was seeing in the video just not clear enough to be 100% sure.

That's a good point, I didn't notice that, could it be the temp settings that affect it or other reflections that I got screenshots of. Unless you're saying all of them have leakage, in which would the stone I currently have be a better overall choice? I'll be seeing them in person next week and will try to check them. Is there a good way to check for definite leakage? ie certain lighting or angles ? It looks light it was under natural light that it's showing up here. Thank you again for the insight ☺️

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Take a bright red chunk of Mylar balloon and atach it to some card stock or thick paper.
You can also use the red part of a Pepsi bottle wrap.
Hold diamond over it then look for red areas.
Do not wear red when doing this.
As you move the diamond if small areas show red for a short time that's normal but face up or large area is an issue.

If leakage shows up while the pavilion is touching something like the pic of your current diamond on the blue above is fairly meaningless but showing a lot of leakage when in a ring holder means they will do so in your ring.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Take a bright red chunk of Mylar balloon and atach it to some card stock or thick paper.
You can also use the red part of a Pepsi bottle wrap.
Hold diamond over it then look for red areas.
Do not wear red when doing this.
As you move the diamond if small areas show red for a short time that's normal but face up or large area is an issue.

If leakage shows up while the pavilion is touching something like the pic of your current diamond on the blue above is fairly meaningless but showing a lot of leakage when in a ring holder means they will do so in your ring.

Thank for the tip, I will try to use your method to check for leakage. Would the stones being in the ring holder impair the viewing of leakage? Would it be optimal to use tongs?

I'm no expert but I love an Asscher. I would not trade the diamond you have for any of the above in temp rings.

I'm glad I exchanged from my original stone. This does sparkle compared to the one I posted from the beginning. If the cool blue nuance wasn't there then I would be 100% happier with the current stone.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can use the ring holder but tweezers are better.
Using the ring holder will block some of the stone.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
You can use the ring holder but tweezers are better.
Using the ring holder will block some of the stone.

My phone doesn't take that great photos but I do see red. Would that change the assessment of either of these stones? Is it still too much leakage from this view for either one of them? Sorry if not bright red enough and thanks for the help.

IMG_20230308_153606.jpg
IMG_20230308_153749__01.jpg
IMG_20230308_154212__01__01.jpg

Last edited:

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Here are some shots of the two stones in a ring holder which seems more apparent unless it's the angle I'm taking the photos.
Ultimately would I be making a mistake to try to acquire one of these stones as a final replacement instead of keeping my current one? I'm having a hard time weighing if the blue nuance is better or worse than what these stones bring.

IMG_20230308_154520__01__01.jpg
IMG_20230308_154541__01.jpg

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Seems decent to me but wait for Karl to weigh in.
Good luck!

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Seems decent to me but wait for Karl to weigh in.
Good luck!

I remember you said to keep my stone, do you still agree after seeing these photos? Or would either of them stand out more?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results