shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with my Asscher cut purchase

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
I fear I rushed into making the purchase of this diamond as now realizing that I may have chosen a less than ideal one. I am new to this cut and did not do enough research it seems. Can someone confirm my suspicions about it having light leakage or lack of contrast? I am hoping if anyone can provide some insight on a better alternative. Thank you
primary.jpg

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, any chance you can return it? That is not well cut, with a lot of leakage and some windowing.

If you post your budget and desired size/color/etc, there are plenty of people to help find you a much better performing asscher.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a fan of it. Theres not much "life" in the middle as the stone moves, which suggests it isnt well cut. What is your budget and desired size?

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Thank you as I am at the trail end of the return window, so that will be my next action to return it. I'm hoping to be at max 7k for a 3.5 + carat, D - F color, but open to suggestions and ideas since it's my first venture at the asscher cut.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Saw you response, deleted non-helpful ideas I was throwing out there! Leaving the DBL one as an example of what to look for while I go scrounge the interwebs.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not an asscher but I looooove this.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Thank you both for the alternative choices, I'll look through them as considerations. Also the 3.68 Carat Asscher is very hypnotizing to watch. Never seen a cut like that before.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both for the alternative choices, I'll look through them as considerations. Also the 3.68 Carat Asscher is very hypnotizing to watch. Never seen a cut like that before.

Right? It's super unique

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
After looking at other options, I've noticed it's not easy to find that many that really catch my eye that's around my price range or perhaps I need to go to a smaller carat size?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
After looking at other options, I've noticed it's not easy to find that many that really catch my eye that's around my price range or perhaps I need to go to a smaller carat size?

What was wrong with some of the 3.5+ stones that @lovedogs and @vintageinjune recommended? They certainly look better
then the one you purchased.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
What was wrong with some of the 3.5+ stones that @lovedogs and @vintageinjune recommended? They certainly look better
then the one you purchased.

Nothing wrong with them but I was hoping to find something closer to the 4 ish size around the price range. Maybe just my wishful thinking to replace the one I'm returning. Currently considering between the 3.52 or 3.66 options that were shared while on the lookout for others.

vintageinjune

Brilliant_Rock
Nothing wrong with them but I was hoping to find something closer to the 4 ish size around the price range. Maybe just my wishful thinking to replace the one I'm returning. Currently considering between the 3.52 or 3.66 options that were shared while on the lookout for others.

I cannot say how lovedogs search went, but I did not find any well cut 4ct ish asschers in your price range.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Jumping in to ask the rhetorical question whether you have seen many asschers irl… you may find you like ones that are not ideal, sounds like you want bright and crisp, any opinion on windmills or side/corner ratio? Agree that LGD asschers are uncommon, perhaps because they are cut so deeply.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
I cannot say how lovedogs search went, but I did not find any well cut 4ct ish asschers in your price range.

Thank you for searching but perhaps its wishful thinking of me or not the right timing for a stone that will fit that criteria.
Jumping in to ask the rhetorical question whether you have seen many asschers irl… you may find you like ones that are not ideal, sounds like you want bright and crisp, any opinion on windmills or side/corner ratio? Agree that LGD asschers are uncommon, perhaps because they are cut so deeply.

I have seen a couple but just a handful and not well versed on the cut unfortunately. Hence my question on what to look for or what to watch out for. To my eyes, I like clean defined steps with some contrast but happy to be educated further. I'm not sure I have an opinion or how to formulate an opinion on windmills or side/corner ratio. I assume the windmills should extend to the middle and be defined enough to seeI do like a 1 or close to 1 ratio for l/w since I do notice if not square.

For instance are any of these ok in terms of cut quality? I feel like perhaps the 2 and 4 looks best out of all of them but not sure how to fully gauge them. I did realize that the original one I chose, looks clean but doesn't have any contrast in center which seemed off to me as it lacked something. Thanks all for the help and info once again. primary.jpg primary (1).jpg primary (2).jpg primary (3).jpg

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, IANAE on cut quality if you are looking for an objective evaluation of light return. Given your concern for sharper facets, the last one looks best, but that is my taste. Some people would not like the black.

For windmills again I cannot say objectively what gives the best light return but was asking more for your taste. Regardless of whether you like thick or thin one thing to look for is whether the windmill facets look crisp at the same time as the rest of the facets, as opposed to them alternating in crispness depending on the viewing angle. Same with corners — don’t mean overall length-width but rather asking for your preference between squarish with little cut corners versus octagonal with deep cut corners.

Videos really help checking the facets, but overall, if you have confidence in the return policy, you will be fine.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Thanks, IANAE on cut quality if you are looking for an objective evaluation of light return. Given your concern for sharper facets, the last one looks best, but that is my taste. Some people would not like the black.

For windmills again I cannot say objectively what gives the best light return but was asking more for your taste. Regardless of whether you like thick or thin one thing to look for is whether the windmill facets look crisp at the same time as the rest of the facets, as opposed to them alternating in crispness depending on the viewing angle. Same with corners — don’t mean overall length-width but rather asking for your preference between squarish with little cut corners versus octagonal with deep cut corners.

Videos really help checking the facets, but overall, if you have confidence in the return policy, you will be fine.

Thank you for the indepth reply, I believe that the diamond should have some black/contrast but I've seen some that are too much for my taste currently. But since I'm more used to looking for RB stones, that concept escaped me till doing more research. My assumption is the black/contrast is the needed. Still trying to understand if more black refers to better cut quality or not?

As for windmills, I do prefer them being thicker than thin and also the corners to be not as little either. I have not noticed any deep cut corner stones yet or perhaps not paid attention to it.

I looked at the videos and still uncertain on how to decide how the facets should be. Besides well defined and somewhat even, I'm not sure else to judge them on.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the indepth reply, I believe that the diamond should have some black/contrast but I've seen some that are too much for my taste currently. But since I'm more used to looking for RB stones, that concept escaped me till doing more research. My assumption is the black/contrast is the needed. Still trying to understand if more black refers to better cut quality or not?

As for windmills, I do prefer them being thicker than thin and also the corners to be not as little either. I have not noticed any deep cut corner stones yet or perhaps not paid attention to it.

I looked at the videos and still uncertain on how to decide how the facets should be. Besides well defined and somewhat even, I'm not sure else to judge them on.

IMHO asschers need to be seen moving to decide quality, since so much of it is dependent on the movement of the steps

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
IMHO asschers need to be seen moving to decide quality, since so much of it is dependent on the movement of the steps

Here are some of the ones I'm considering which consists of the ones shared previously and a few I thought might be ok. Please feel free to comment thoughts if any, on which is best or terrible out of the ones posted.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some of the ones I'm considering which consists of the ones shared previously and a few I thought might be ok. Please feel free to comment thoughts if any, on which is best or terrible out of the ones posted.

I think all of those are viable options. None look "dead" when they move.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for all the help and knowledge. I've learned quite a bit more at looking and judging what asscher cuts should be f I'm being on here. I've returned the previous stone and looking forward to the new one.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Just wanted a concensus on if CVD E color type IIa or HPHT F color type II is better? Or does it matter if it's not HPHT in regards to quality of stone anymore? Curious how everyone feels these days since this is my first LGD choice.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted a concensus on if CVD E color type IIa or HPHT F color type II is better? Or does it matter if it's not HPHT in regards to quality of stone anymore? Curious how everyone feels these days since this is my first LGD choice.

If the cut quality is identical and the F doesn't have blue nuance, I prefer the F.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
I don't think it has blue nuance. Will you be able to check it out in person?

I'm having it sent to me so I will have it in person next week. Is there a specific way to view blue nuance? I'd be happy to post when I receive it.
It will be in a setting so not sure if that makes it harder to view.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm having it sent to me so I will have it in person next week. Is there a specific way to view blue nuance? I'd be happy to post when I receive it.
It will be in a setting so not sure if that makes it harder to view.

It won't be too much harder. An easy way is to look at it in natural light against a white sheet of paper.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
It won't be too much harder. An easy way is to look at it in natural light against a white sheet of paper.

Thank you for the information Kim, I'll definitely do that once I receive the piece as now I am concerned if it does have any blue or not. Hopefully all is well and looks amazing in person.

Caliisto

Rough_Rock
Hey all, I'm having some concerns about my latest choice as I feel like there might be an issue with the fourth pavilion as it seems wider than most of the other ones I looked at previously. My concern is that it might be leakage or has poor contrast patterning or missing steps, which is why it looks blurry in these photos? I was assuming it was perhaps the camera or angle and the rep said it was just that, but now I'm not quite sure the more I view the stone. Perhaps anyone with more experience or better knowledge could me understand if I'm wrong in thinking that.

Front
primary.jpeg download.png
Back:
download (1).png

I feel like this is what I should be seeing, which has a smaller 4th pavilion and more defined steps compared to the one above.
download3.jpeg download4.png

I will ask them to send any updated photos or videos if possible, as I'm trying to get this right this time and not third time's the charm. I know it's pretty hard to get a perfect asscher, but at least one that I won't be worried about. Thanks again and I'm glad I stumbled upon this community, since I've been learning quite a bit by reading through the posts here. Also, read this article which was interesting https://www.pricescope.com/articles/performance-and-p3-facets-discussion-about-step-cut-diamonds

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results