shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with what to do next.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two different posters here. Can someone tell me what is going on? I see mamasooz and bubbesooz as the author of this thread.

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
Warped...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never had it resized... I sent it back To the designer because the band wrapped twice within the first two months of ownership.My last setting lasted 10 years.

I'm glad you found your diamond... I would've passed out if mine was missing.

However, metal doesn't warp on its own. You must be extremely hard on rings. The last ring looks like it had thick metal and built like a tank, so I can see how one could be hard on rings and not have an issue with it. This ring looks much more delicate (although not unsafe).

OP, who is the vendor/jeweler who made this ring? Can you have them remake it in a much thicker style?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two different posters here. Can someone tell me what is going on? I see mamasooz and bubbesooz as the author of this thread.

I think maybe the OP had to open another account (with new, but similar screen name) for some reason?? Not super clear on this either...

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, is all I can say about the head of your ring snapping off.
It has sheared at its solder point so obviously the ring was cast in two pieces.
I’m no metal expert but I believe platinum can be more “brittle” than gold.
Platinum is also softer than gold, so it scratches more easily.
Platinum is also more difficult to work with.
Your ring head is large for two small solder points. I imagine catching the head while shutting a drawer (for eg) could apply enough leverage pressure to cause a joint failure. You may have knocked it / caught it more than once and the actual “full failure” might have occurred with a final seemingly insignificant bump.
I don’t chose platinum for the above reasons. I prefer 18ct white gold which is rhodium plated (yearly). Gold is more malleable, it will bend out of shape rather than “fail”. This can mean that prongs can loosen if bumped hard enough so you need to regularly inspect your ring for “looseness”.
That’s my 5 cents anyway and thank God you didn’t lose your diamond.

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
I tried to change my user name after the birth of my grandson... but then I keep forgetting...just one person and her ring.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry this happened, but so glad it wasn’t out in public and the stone lost!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The most recent failure appears to be at a solder joint. But, that joint should look seamless. It does not. Its blobby and it broke. Those are both unacceptable. The repair was executed terribly. I think I have a guess of the maker and they really are a designed who works with a bench for construction. But, its time to cut your losses and find a new maker. Sorry. Whomever you are working with has shown, twice, they cannot deliver on this setting.

Take the broken pieces to a good jeweler for repair. If this is platinum, you want the repair laser welded NOT soldered. It may take a bit of looking around for someone with a laser welder, but that will actually make the shank a new, single piece (functionally), while solder always is a bridge between two metals. I can't recommend anyone for simple repair, but another PS member may if you tell us you general area or the name of the largest big city.

What has me really upset is that your diamond fell out. There is no reason the shank join failing should cause the diamond to come out. That is even worse. The prongs must have been too loose and failing jarred it free. Totally unacceptable.

You could also reach out to a different maker and have the setting re-made as a single piece of metal. The failures here were not the fault of platinum vs. gold. The first looked poorly hardened and the second a solder joint failed. I'd have them make the entire shank 2.5 mm or more. My David Klass ring has withstood me and I'm notoriously hard on jewelery.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so sorry that this is happening, what a frightening situation to look down at your hand and see the entire head of the ring missing!!
I think that it is probably best if you look for a different designer to make you a new ring that is much more sturdier. Do you like the design of the setting? Would you change it to something else?
Also, do you wear your ring all the time? Do you take it off before bed?

P.S. OP, I think you should finally mention the name of this so-called designer, so that other people are aware of the poor quality work that she produces.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Left field question...Do you have small children?

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It is shocking and troubling to have this happen- once, much less twice. I am so sorry this is happening to you.

I think this has much less to do with how hard you are on your rings (though that could be a small factor) and everything to do with poor workmanship. Even if you’re hard on your rings the head shouldn’t snap clean off.

Rocky has given you excellent advice. Personally I would pursue a remake with a different vendor.

What does the designer say? I’m very curious.
I appreciate your desire for discretion and your calm approach in seeking help (I know I wouldn’t be calm!!!) but I think you would be doing a service to others to identify the vendor. Jewels are precious and sentimental- everyone wants the best to make their jewels and commemorate their special life experiences. The people here take recommending the best to others very seriously and if this is a truly well known and respected vendor, it ought to be known.

Please keep us posted.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Left field question...Do you have small children?

OP said that she is a grandmother, I doubt that she has small children. Also, I am not sure how small kids relate to broken shanks. My nana in law is 90 years old and still wears her wedding ring from 70 years ago. Kids, grandkids and great grandchildren and her rings are still standing. This is absolutely poor workmanship, no excuses can be made for it.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured out who the designer is and.... damn. I don’t have any advice on how to handle this with her, but I would recommend sending it to maybe David Klass to fix. He has one project of mine currently and I am sending him another in a month or so.

I haven’t seen his finished work in person yet, but everyone here raves about the quality. Hopefully I will have mine soon, so I will be able to say for sure when I get it.

@SimoneDi I assume this is reminiscent of your workmanship issues?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:eek2: WOAH. I have never seen that before! I have had cheap/ thin bands bend over the years that were set in silver for my gemstone jewelry. I have never seen a ring snap in half! I wouldnt believe it possible ! Bend? maybe but just snap off? I have larger hands and am pretty rough with my jewelry. I have caught my rings on things more than once. Still never had that happen or anything close! I thought I was going to rip a finger off the one time a real gold ring was caught and bent and it HURT when it caught!
You don't remember hitting it on anything?

either way though , next setting you put the diamond in ... without the weight of the stone make sure it is at LEAST 4 grams. Even if it is thin in the front appearance it can be deep. IMO a quality setting should be at least 4 grams with no stone and with a larger diamond like this you will want 5 or 6 for thick sturdy prongs

When they make you your wax mold to verify it is what you want, you can get a good feeling for the thickness and it will be cast as a solid piece and not something they put 2 half's of a ring and joined them.
INSIST on seeing the wax cast for the setting this time around before they make the ring. They can tell you what the weight is without any stones too.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured out who the designer is and.... damn. I don’t have any advice on how to handle this with her, but I would recommend sending it to maybe David Klass to fix. He has one project of mine currently and I am sending him another in a month or so.

I haven’t seen his finished work in person yet, but everyone here raves about the quality. Hopefully I will have mine soon, so I will be able to say for sure when I get it.

@SimoneDi I assume this is reminiscent of your workmanship issues?

Yep..

OP we kind of know who the vendor is here, do you want us to name them or do you want to do that yourself? These issues need to be addressed as too many people have kept silent (for not sure what reason) but this is absolutely unacceptable.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yep..

OP we kind of know who the vendor is here, do you want us to name them or do you want to do that yourself? These issues need to be addressed as too many people have kept silent (for not sure what reason) but this is absolutely unacceptable.

You mean there is a vendor still in business who would do this on purpose? OH yeah they should be named. That should not even be possible!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You mean there is a vendor still in business who would do this on purpose? OH yeah they should be named. That should not even be possible!

Absolutely agree - it should never be possible.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

...because it's not done on purpose. Metal doesn't just bend and snap on its own... that's not possible. I think most know who the vendor is here. I have never heard of any issues with quality, but that isn't to say that all pieces (by any vendor) are virtually indestructible.

I'm super hard on rings. Mine is only 1.6 mm at its weakest point (near the head), and I haven't had any issues. I honestly don't understand the snapping at the joints, but the bending of the platinum is from some form of abuse, either known or unknown to the wearer.

OP, have you spoken with the vendor about this?? I can't imagine her not bending over backwards to make this right. If not, you need to contact her immediately.

ETA: I'm sorry this has happened to you... I feel like it can be fixed.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you just have to have very heavy settings with the kind of wear and tear that is happening with your current ring. I have multiple delicate settings and have never had a problem, and those kinds of issues we very rarely see. I think you just need someone to cast you a ring that is more like your first one since it withstood the wear. You can use your local jeweler if you like them, or someone like David Klass might be willing to make you a heavy ring. But I'd probably go local just for the ease of maintenance if needed.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
...because it's not done on purpose. Metal doesn't just bend and snap on its own... that's not possible. I think most know who the vendor is here. I have never heard of any issues with quality, but that isn't to say that all pieces (by any vendor) are virtually indestructible.

I'm super hard on rings. Mine is only 1.6 mm at its weakest point (near the head), and I haven't had any issues. I honestly don't understand the snapping at the joints, but the bending of the platinum is from some form of abuse, either known or unknown to the wearer.

OP, have you spoken with the vendor about this?? I can't imagine her not bending over backwards to make this right. If not, you need to contact her immediately.

The "on purpose" part I was referring to - was taking a ring and removing part or most of the band and replacing it with a different band and attaching the 2 parts. I was not saying the jeweler intended on it breaking.

For a 4 ct diamond a SOLID single setting is a must. When I spent 60K + on my diamond I would never accept a 2 half's make a whole type of deal for a setting. If it needed to be reset, I would have expected a newly cast quality setting. My jeweler doesn't like it when people size a ring more than 2 times. Having them " fix" my ring by taking 3/4th of a different ring and attaching them? :eek2: inconceivable!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Isn't the issue that after the first time the ring was bent that the shank was replaced at those 2 points creating a weak spot where some force
or stress has caused it to cleanly separate? Just trying to understand whats going on.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe OP goes swimming a lot and the chlorine weakened the joined areas? Either way this is a 4ct diamond, not a .25 set in sterling, the setting should be beyond secure no matter what.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mamasooz did the diamond actually come out of the prongs? Or was the stone still in the head? I can't tell from the pics.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you just have to have very heavy settings with the kind of wear and tear that is happening with your current ring. I have multiple delicate settings and have never had a problem, and those kinds of issues we very rarely see. I think you just need someone to cast you a ring that is more like your first one since it withstood the wear. You can use your local jeweler if you like them, or someone like David Klass might be willing to make you a heavy ring. But I'd probably go local just for the ease of maintenance if needed.

Agreed...

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW this is crazy to see! I am hard on my rings, I cracked the shank of my ER from DBL after about 5 years of daily wear. I sent it back to David and it was LASER repaired, I never had an issue again after that. This level of damage is unaceptable and the repair was clearly subpar.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_5745.JPG IMG_6612.JPG IMG_6613.JPG I received the ring in March and wore it for about 6 weeks. It felt uncomfortable and I took it off of my finger and it looked like picture two.

Look... to mutilate a platinum band like this with only six weeks of wear just isn't common. I cannot speak to any repairs or alterations, but I would imagine that when you make hundreds of rings, there are bound to be a few that may have problems.

Like I said, I'm very sorry this happened to you, OP. I really hate it, because your ring and diamond are exceptionally gorgeous. I do think you should seriously consider a style that is more conducive to your lifestyle (harder on rings)... maybe something much thicker or even similar to the original "built like a tank" ring. Best of luck to you, OP!

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
I just heard back from the vendor. She said that I wore the ring for 7whole months and I should call my insurance company. The diamond did not fall out of the setting.. the place where the diamond was soldered to the thicker band unattached on both sides. I would appreciate of any one else who had issues with this vendor to let me know how they were able to resolve and what person they used for a resetting.Honestly I do not believe I am hard on my rings... one original one I had 10years with no problem...It lost a tiny side diamond which is why I went with a new setting.If anyone recognizes where I may have gotten the first setting (somewhere in NY) please let me know because I can’t remember.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would appreciate of any one else who had issues with this vendor to let me know how they were able to resolve and what person they used for a resetting.

I may have missed it, but you haven’t actually shared the vendor, so how can others comment? Suspicions are one thing, but may not be true.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just heard back from the vendor. She said that I wore the ring for 7whole months and I should call my insurance company. The diamond did not fall out of the setting.. the place where the diamond was soldered to the thicker band unattached on both sides. I would appreciate of any one else who had issues with this vendor to let me know how they were able to resolve and what person they used for a resetting.Honestly I do not believe I am hard on my rings... one original one I had 10years with no problem...It lost a tiny side diamond which is why I went with a new setting.If anyone recognizes where I may have gotten the first setting (somewhere in NY) please let me know because I can’t remember.

Woah! What a gentle response, huh? OP, I am truly sorry that you are dealing with this and at the same time, I am happy that you didn’t lose your beautiful 4ct asscher diamond!

First thing is first, do you have insurance on the setting?

P.S. Please name the vendor as suggested. It will be beneficial for this conversation since it is not our place to guess until confirmed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results