shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with what to do next.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looked like the solder points on the half shank failed. I'm not a metallurgist. Just looks that way to me.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would an independent appraiser be able to examine the setting for manufacturing defects?
That’s a great idea, even if just for peace of mind about what happened.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh no. It is a beautiful setting. I have always admired that type of shoulder. I am not expert at all, but to me one of the logic possible explanation is that the shank was soldered on to the shoulder, if that is indeed the case I think it will not be as sturdy as if it is made as one place, prone to break apart at the solder joint.

Is the ring supposed to be one piece?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure that ring would not have been cast in one piece, but I don’t have any idea how many parts. Surely they use laser welding and not solder. I do not see any signs of solder on my rings.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That new setting you have picked is lovely but I am also concerned about the tri-wire thinner shank. I think you should really express to David Klass
that you have had issues in the past and you really need something built tougher. I hate to say tank-like but you know what I mean. YOu dont
want to be going through this again.:eek-2:

Maybe a refined version of this shank...I think your larger asscher would look really nice with a split shank. The split helps to soften the lines of the
thicker metal. The split shank could connect to the haloed top. You could have some lovely engraving instead of the pave.
wider shank.PNG
A few more thicker shanks
thicker shank.PNG

thicker shank.PNG

Have you considered a Euro shank? I think they tend to be thicker by nature (most of the time)
thicker shank.PNG

Just trying to throw some ideas at you. You deserve to have your dream ring (that will last). I hope you come up with a design that is sturdy as
well as beautiful! If you go with David Klass, he will send you CADS. Post them here so some of the CAD experts can review them and help you
with the design (some of our PSers have helped with tons of CADS and can spot possible issues).

Cant wait to see what you come up with!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
88755470-688B-4EC4-B450-DF0C15C68B82.png I am just going to pay to have it reset By someone else.After the last failure the biggest concern is not loosing the diamond. can anyone refer me to someone who will stand by their work and advise me so this doesn’t happen again.I like the vintage yet look but will definitely listen about materials,size of band etc.I am also laid back as to-time frame.I just want something thatI can wear and won’t break.Anyone know who made this one?
That is a beautiful ring! Given that your CvB ring is the only one you’ve had that had issues of breaking/damage, my opinion would be to go with a design you love that is reasonable thickness (ie: 2mm or more) and not worry about needing a “tank” or an extra sturdy design. Given what you’ve said, I think it was just a bad incident. And at 60, you’re more likely to become LESS harsh on your rings :mrgreen2:

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
I just want to chime in here.
I feel so bad for you and would be insanely frustrated by now.
I had a very thin Brian Gavin pave ring for 5 years with no problems. I gerdened heavily with a shovel in clay soil with it on (I know, I know), did dishes, swam, dropped it on cement several times, no harm was ever done to the ring. It took me feeding it to the running garbage disposal (on accident) to finally do it in!
I think you should consider a new maker. I wouldn’t trust the same maker even if they did it for free.
Here is a pic of my old ring:
96AA640D-A1A5-437A-A976-7889382D0A99.jpeg
It looks thicker in the pic but the dimensions of the band were 1.7mm x 1.5mm. I am not advocating for people to rely on BGD rings to be abused, I just know that after certain activities I would realize I should have taken off my ring because it was so risky.

Attachments

• 50085C73-AEB7-4A99-A1F3-2521A4CD746E.png
    50085C73-AEB7-4A99-A1F3-2521A4CD746E.png
    531.2 KB · Views: 11

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Just to catching up on this story. Dear @mamasooz I am so sorry this happened to you. Given how big you center stone is I would get a new hand forged platinum ring made with a thicker shank. Regardless of why this last ring broke I would not trust myself or the ring maker. I’m not saying that the ring maker’s pieces are not fine for all her other work. It’s just that the history of you with her rings has not worked out and I would just move on. And with any new ring I would get a shank that is at least 2.5 mm just to be safe.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
I brought it in to a jeweler.He examined it .His feeling was that they had soldered platinum and white gold together and that was not a good idea.Does anyone have thoughts about this?

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I brought it in to a jeweler.He examined it .His feeling was that they had soldered platinum and white gold together and that was not a good idea.Does anyone have thoughts about this?

Did he test the head and shank for metal type and purity?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd feel more comfortable soliciting the opinion of an independent appraiser versus someone who sells jewelry.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@oldminer it is on to solder platinum to white gold? Thanks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd feel more comfortable soliciting the opinion of an independent appraiser versus someone who sells jewelry.

I agree and also mentioned that in an earlier post. I suspect that jeweler is either not knowledgable or else wants a sale, because I am 99.9% sure that way back in discussing handforged and cast, Caysie told me her bench only uses laser welding for both, which is superior to soldering (the OP certainly should ask that question if she wants to know). And I'll even disagree with the platinum and gold combo considering many, many people have two tone rings and other jewelry with with platinum and gold! In fact, Caysie has made many rings with yg and rose gold shanks that connect with a platinum piece at the shoulder and this is the first I have heard of that disconnected. So while there is always the chance of some legitimate problem, that jeweler is wrong on both of those points.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely think you should hire an independent appraiser, especially before you hire anyone else to fix or replace the ring. I personally would want to know exactly what happened.

If it is a defect in workmanship, would insurance pay out on that?

I found this. Maybe it helps? Not sure

https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/why-do-weld-joints-fail/

Last edited:

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
At this point I have contacted a couple of the suggestions people gave me.If anyone else has a reputable person please pass me the name. I know that Caysie has made many beautiful pieces and her work is gorgeous. But when something doesn’t go right... which is inevitable you need to stand by it .I have reached out to David and unfortunately Victor Canera does not do that setting for an outside stone. All is really want is something that doesn’t need attention.... When I look at my other band on my right hand what I see is a ring that is not longer but the band is much thicker...I will definitely see if I can get someone to do that. Believe me 5 hours on the floor looking for a diamond when you are on vacation has not been a pleasant experience.Thank you all for your suggestions.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mamasooz - I just realized you may not know what was meant by an independent appraiser. It doesn’t mean someone who isn’t affiliated with your project; it means someone who only does appraisals (or does appraisals but doesn’t buy/sell jewelry). That way they give you unbiased information.

Here’s a link of recommended independent appraisers, or you may be able to do a web search too.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
88755470-688B-4EC4-B450-DF0C15C68B82.png I am just going to pay to have it reset By someone else.After the last failure the biggest concern is not loosing the diamond. can anyone refer me to someone who will stand by their work and advise me so this doesn’t happen again.I like the vintage yet look but will definitely listen about materials,size of band etc.I am also laid back as to-time frame.I just want something thatI can wear and won’t break.Anyone know who made this one?
Gorgeous inspiration ring! Have you reached out to Steven Kirsch or Victor Canera? Steven set my cushion in a setting similar to your original setting. It's all hand-forged, delicate, but built like a tank and he was a pleasure to work with. Truly an artist. With hand forged it is a little bit more of a leap of faith since there is no CAD, but from everything that I have read it is far more durable then cast.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At this point I have contacted a couple of the suggestions people gave me.If anyone else has a reputable person please pass me the name. I know that Caysie has made many beautiful pieces and her work is gorgeous. But when something doesn’t go right... which is inevitable you need to stand by it .I have reached out to David and unfortunately Victor Canera does not do that setting for an outside stone. All is really want is something that doesn’t need attention.... When I look at my other band on my right hand what I see is a ring that is not longer but the band is much thicker...I will definitely see if I can get someone to do that. Believe me 5 hours on the floor looking for a diamond when you are on vacation has not been a pleasant experience.Thank you all for your suggestions.
I think this stone is @redwood66 and he did actually make that for an outside stone. Did you ask him specifically or are you assuming? If you haven’t already I would call him and ask him personally. He is easy to talk to.

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
It says On the online post no outside stones.I wrote to a customer service person who said they won’t do it .

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It says On the online post no outside stones.I wrote to a customer service person who said they won’t do it .
Did you mention it was an asscher stone? I don’t believe Victor sells those so it might make a difference.

Also, if you let them know what’s brought you to having your ring redone it may win some sympathy points.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mamasooz
'Edit - I see they told you no which is too bad because he does lovely work. David Klass would do a good job for you but be sure to tell him you need a sturdy setting.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @mamasooz I hope you don’t mind that I reached out to Victor and shared part of your story with him. He said that he would be happy to chat with you and see if you guys can come up with a new setting that would be sturdy and work for your stone and that you would love. He does need some time though because he is a pretty packed schedule right now. Just call him directly at 888-860-6430 or 213-863-8313 and tell Nicholas if he answers that you are the Pricescoper that has the 4 carat emerald cut that was discussed with lljsmom on Tuesday night, and that you would like to speak to Victor.

I hope that would work for you.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @mamasooz I hope you don’t mind that I reached out to Victor and shared part of your story with him. He said that he would be happy to chat with you and see if you guys can come up with a new setting that would be sturdy and work for your stone and that you would love. He does need some time though because he is a pretty packed schedule right now. Just call him directly at 888-860-6430 or 213-863-8313 and tell Nicholas if he answers that you are the Pricescoper that has the 4 carat emerald cut that was discussed with lljsmom on Tuesday night, and that you would like to speak to Victor.

I hope that would work for you.

You are so sweet LLJ :kiss2: !!!

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
Thank you so so much, LLJ!I was beginning to feel like I had done something wrong...But I am trying to remember that this is the first time I have had this happen in 60 years and over 5 different engagement rings. My husband has been incredibly lovely letting me upgrade from a .79 pear to a 1.9 princess to this amazing ebay diamond. I purchased it 12 years ago have had the last setting 10 plus years.I Thank all of you on Pricescope for sharing your expertise.
I will call Victor tomorrow.I think the issue is the thickness of the band.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom that was so incredibly kind of you to do!
@mamasooz you will be in great hands with Victor! You did nothing wrong but to trust a jeweler who can’t execute a good product. The entire construction of your existing ring was poorly made which is why it broke so easily after such short time of wear. Best of luck to you!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so so much, LLJ!I was beginning to feel like I had done something wrong...But I am trying to remember that this is the first time I have had this happen in 60 years and over 5 different engagement rings. My husband has been incredibly lovely letting me upgrade from a .79 pear to a 1.9 princess to this amazing ebay diamond. I purchased it 12 years ago have had the last setting 10 plus years.I Thank all of you on Pricescope for sharing your expertise.
I will call Victor tomorrow.I think the issue is the thickness of the band.

That was so nice of you, @LLJsmom!! I think a thicker band will certainly be better for you than a more delicate style. I can’t wait to see what VC comes up with!

Last edited:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom that was so incredibly kind of you to do!
@mamasooz you will be in great hands with Victor! You did nothing wrong but to trust a jeweler who can’t execute a good product. The entire construction of your existing ring was poorly made which is why it broke so easily after such short time of wear. Best of luck to you!

@SimoneDi
Look... I don't know what issue(s) you had with your ring, but to say Caysie "can't execute a good product" isn't true and you know it. I doubt you chose her to make that gorgeous setting because there were so many others who had anything other than great things to say about her work. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience, but to say she can't execute a good product is going way too far... and quite honestly, it's insulting to the vast majority who have been very happy with her rings with no problems whatsoever. To make that claim is to say that we all have rings that aren't of good quality, which is far from the case. I also doubt that trusted vendors like @Rhino would want to collaborate with her and have their names/brands associated with crap work/products. Things happen every now and then... that is with any vendor. There is absolutely no need to try to trash the vendor.

I don't remember you posting about issues with your ring... what happened? Did Caysie refuse to fix it for you? I'm not understanding the need to be so harsh. I'm not saying you're wrong or your feelings aren't justified, @SimoneDi... I just feel like a lot of information hasn't been shared.

Last edited:

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
With anything you do even when you try your best you can have a bad result.It’s how you deal when you have the bad result...that says the most about your character.I tried to resolve this bad result in a kind way but unfortunately the it did not work out for me.As I said above Caysie does beautiful work since I only have one ring from her and I am not a bench jeweler I can not comment on the construction.I can only state that I am 60...don’t have a strenuous job,not extremely active and was wearing the ring on my nondominant hand.I have had several rings in my years and never had this happen. My last ring with this diamond I had in the setting 10+ years. The ring I purchased from Caysie has broken or warped 3 times in the last 16 months...the last time being what I would call catastrophic ...where the ring literally came apart where it was Welded.I did not go into this wanting to bad mouth anyone but I just wanted to report my experience and get some expert advice about how to proceed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results