shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with what to do next.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just heard back from the vendor. She said that I wore the ring for 7whole months and I should call my insurance company. The diamond did not fall out of the setting.. the place where the diamond was soldered to the thicker band unattached on both sides. I would appreciate of any one else who had issues with this vendor to let me know how they were able to resolve and what person they used for a resetting.Honestly I do not believe I am hard on my rings... one original one I had 10years with no problem...It lost a tiny side diamond which is why I went with a new setting.If anyone recognizes where I may have gotten the first setting (somewhere in NY) please let me know because I can’t remember.

OP, whether you realize it or not, you're hard on rings! ;-) LOL The original ring was thick thick THICK! It seems like that style is what you should go back to... because you'd likely encounter issues with any vendor if you choose another more delicate style.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Folks, for anyone trying to tell OP that she is hard on her rings and in some way imply that a ring head holding a 4ct ring snapping off is her fault, please consider this happening to you. Even if OP is hard on rings, this does not excuse the subpar craftsmanship here. OP had a three row microwave ring for 10years that showed no damage, how can you even consider that this issues is her fault?

Because we all know who the vendor is here, these are not new issues. Selfishy, I am glad that I didn’t experience the exact same issue, however, mere months after owning my setting, I started seeing other problems as well.

People have shred other vendors to pieces because of “unsatisfactory client service” or “difficult attitude”, but because we are addressing a “beloved vendor” here, some are willing to overlook a MAJOR issue! Unacceptable!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Folks, for anyone trying to tell OP that she is hard on her rings and in some way imply that a ring head holding a 4ct ring snapping off is her fault, please consider this happening to you. Even if OP is hard on rings, this does not excuse the subpar craftsmanship here. OP had a three row microwave ring for 10years that showed no damage, how can you even consider that this issues is her fault?

Because we all know who the vendor is here, these are not new issues. Selfishy, I am glad that I didn’t experience the exact same issue, however, mere months after owning my setting, I started seeing other problems as well.

People have shred other vendors to pieces because of “unsatisfactory client service” or “difficult attitude”, but because we are addressing a “beloved vendor” here, some are willing to overlook a MAJOR issue! Unacceptable!
I don’t know who the vendor is, but I still feel awful for the OP and agree there’s no way her rings should show that kind of wear after a short while (unless she is a power lifter or a bricklayer who builds walls every day without removing her rings!).

Hopefully the vendor will be disclosed so everyone can be aware and forewarned. Informed decision making is what this forum is supposed to be about, right?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would be more questioning about the second incident if the first one didn't show how hard the OP is on her rings. Her first ring was a tank. I have platinum Beaudry rings made like that. They are about twice the width of my others and thicker, too, but no pave on the shanks. I also have a heavy platinum Philip Press ring. Delicate antique style rings just aren't for everyone. I'd see what the insurance company says and go from there. If they say they'll cover it, great. If they say there was a problem with the manufacturing, then recontact your vendor.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry but no, in no case, shape or form a 3k setting could be expected to snap in half because of “rough wear”. My first engagement ring had a 1.5mm shank that was still standing just fine after 100 or so years of wear. I also had the shank replaced and never had issues with my ring despite the fact that I wore it all the the time.

It is also the vendor’s responsibility to warn that her settings are to be used for occasional wear only and that they might not be able to withstand normal wear and tear if worn 24/7, which is how the majority of women wear their rings. For example, not too long ago, I visited Tiffany and tied on their metro band. The sales professonal disclosed that the band is not meant for daily wear.

The issue at hand is due to poor workmanship and even poorer repair job. To think or state that it is something different is absolutely ludicrous.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

@SimoneDi ...I’m not saying this is totally the fault of the wearer. But you have to agree that common sense tells us that delicate styles and being hard on rings doesn’t mix well. The reason her other ring lived to see 10 years was because it’s super sturdy and bulkier metal means it’s built like a tank and can withstand WAY more abuse than a more delicate design.

To place all the “blame” solely on the vendor isn’t very fair. Maybe there was an issue with this piece? We really don’t know... but we do know that the OP managed to mutilate a platinum shank in 6 weeks of wear AND HAD NO IDEA how it happened. To me, that says she is pretty hard on her rings... even though she doesn’t realize it. So, yes, I do feel the OP should take some responsibility for that. It just means that she’s going to be more prone to have issues with a delicate setting vs. a very thick setting... regardless of vendor.

Every vendor has had complaints on these boards... no one is perfect. There are always 3 versions to any story, and we have heard one.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No I do not really. I have a grandson but he does not live with me. He is also under 1.

Thanks Mamasooz. As I said, it is kind of an out there question.

Personally I doubt whether you are hard on your rings. It's all relative. Grabbing a doorknob hard is not being hard on a ring. Even if your doorknob grip is harder than 95% of all people, you did not do anything to actually abuse it and it should not break.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we won’t be able to hear the other side of the story because the unnamed vendor is banned on PS for shilling. Even if OP is hard on her rings, she is the customer and the simple truth is that the customer is always right. This is not a $100 setting, it is a setting that costs thousands! It is UNACCEPTABLE for an expensive setting like that to snap in half. As I said before, the delicacy of the setting should have been advertised if this were to be an expected outcome. Nonetheless, rings snapping in half should never be an expected outcome..

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry but no, in no case, shape or form a 3k setting could be expected to snap in half because of “rough wear”. My first engagement ring had a 1.5mm shank that was still standing just fine after 100 or so years of wear. I also had the shank replaced and never had issues with my ring despite the fact that I wore it all the the time.

It is also the vendor’s responsibility to warn that her settings are to be used for occasional wear only and that they might not be able to withstand normal wear and tear if worn 24/7, which is how the majority of women wear their rings. For example, not too long ago, I visited Tiffany and tied on their metro band. The sales professonal disclosed that the band is not meant for daily wear.

The issue at hand is due to poor workmanship and even poorer repair job. To think or state that it is something different is absolutely ludicrous.

Well... the Tiffany Metro is almost $2500, and it sounds like they have issues with bending due to "everyday wear," so I'm not getting your argument that the more expensive the ring, the sturdier it should/must be. (Leon Mege comes to mind here)

The rough wear I'm referring to is more about the bent/chewed up shank the OP posted last August. Like DS mentioned, this shows how hard she is on her rings. The snapped shank is of concern as well (obviously), but the fact that she's extremely hard on rings definitely plays a big part. Again, I'm not placing all the blame on the OP... I'm just stating the obvious. This ring could have absolutely had issues, but that doesn't diminish the fact that rough wear and delicate settings are never a good idea.

A vendor can't predict how hard a person will be on his/her jewelry. That setting is absolutely fine for everyday wear... IF the wearer isn't super hard on her rings. It's all relative. I have many delicate settings from at least three vendors, and I've never had any trouble. My sister, however, would've killed all of them within a month or so -- no, seriously, she's that rough on her rings. The fact that you or I have had a 1.5/1.8/2.0 mm shank last a long time has no bearing on how long the OP (or other party) would've been able to wear it before bending/warping it.

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
I purchased the Ring from Caysie Von Bebber. I actually wear that ring on my non dominant hand.If there was an issue with the weight of the stone versus the thickness of the setting that should have been told to me before I bought that setting.It was also inferred that I am “tough” on my rings. I am 60... this is the first issue I have ever had with rings being warped or scratched. I do not lift weights or even really clean!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I truly hope you get the exact setting you want, regardless of which vendor you use. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I would be very upset as well. I hope you don't think I was attacking you... I was just trying to wrap my head around all this.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, Simone, that vendors do need to bend over backward to make things right, and absolutely if it is a manufacturing defect. The first issue was not a manufacturing defect, it was that the OP was used to a heavy duty ring and chose a delicate one without realizing that it would need to be treated differently than her first one. Obviously I don't know how they reached the decision to replace the shank, but the ring was still delicate where the new shank joined the shoulders. There is a line where we have to take partial responsiblity for damage. Even some jewelry policies say they do not replace settings that have problems due to wear. In this case, not being a jeweler, I cannot speak to the second shank issue. Wink said he didn't know how that could have happened for both sides to come off at the same time after 7 months. So if she doesn't want to make an insurance claim, I guess she could go to an independent appraiser and get another opinion on whether the jeweler should replace the whole shank.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
  1. OP - is the post copied below yours from last year’s reset? It seems from your original post that the failure on your first, much sturdier, setting was a snapped prong, not loss of a melee stone as your current post says?

I make no excuses for poor workmanship, but a snapped prong could be much more indicative of how hard you wear rings than loss of a melee stone.

bubbesooz
    Rough_Rock
    [/paste:font]
    by bubbesooz » Feb 11, 2017
    Dear Pricscopers,

Ten years ago I was lucky enough to find a 4.02 Asscher on Ebay. I had it reset into a vintage looking setting. Last week I noticed that a prong had broken off and I can hear the diamond moving around.This is probably not a good thing!I am adding some pics and I still like the setting... but the diamond sits way above the halo and I am thinking maybe I should have it level. I am quite the klutz and think maybe that will be slightly more secure. Would love to hear from people what their thought are andrecommendations for vendors and settings.

img_14949-jpg.483431

img_14950-jpg.483432

img_14951-jpg.483433

img_14952-jpg.483434

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A question for the masses:

If a bad batch or mix of metals was used, could it have contributed to this kind of damage/breakage?

As OP said, this is the only ring in 60 years she's had a serious issue with, so to think she's been extra hard on it (especially non-dominant hand) seems like a big stretch.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A question for the masses:

If a bad batch or mix of metals was used, could it have contributed to this kind of damage/breakage?

I'm no metalsmith, but I'd imagine this would be possible.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no metalsmith, but I'd imagine this would be possible.
Ok. And it was the same shank that was originally chewed up/deformed that then also broke off from soldering, right?

I'm wondering if maybe it is a metal issue instead (or at least in addition to). It still shouldn't have happened, but it might explain things a bit better.

Is there a way the metal composition could be tested?

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ring damage #1. If the metal was not properly hardened, I suppose. But, that's kinda metalwork 101. The allot could also be faulty or was contaminated. #2 is bad workmanship on the reshape soldering...Lots of reasons soldering can go wrong. But, if the vendor or bench thought #1 was one of the issues, they should have recast the ring with the larger shanks.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be curious to hear more from the folks in the trade. I love delicate rings and I've only had one bad experience that I chalk up to craftsmanship. My old setting was a 2mm wide POS made in Indonesia. My new one was done by Kataoka and impeccably made at 1mm wide, 2mm thick.

Based on this statistically insignificant sample, I'd say that mamasooz didn't necessarily subject her ring to unusual wear & tear.

The old 2mm wide bent like the OP's when I picked up a suitcase at the airport. This was it before bending:
POS.jpg

I've worn my current setting well over a year with no problems at all. The shank looks this:
Kataoka.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be curious to hear more from the folks in the trade. I love delicate rings and I've only had one bad experience that I chalk up to craftsmanship. My old setting was a 2mm wide POS made in Indonesia. My new one was done by Kataoka and impeccably made at 1mm wide, 2mm thick.

Based on this statistically insignificant sample, I'd say that mamasooz didn't necessarily subject her ring to unusual wear & tear.

The old 2mm wide bent like the OP's when I picked up a suitcase at the airport. This was it before bending:
POS.jpg

I've worn my current setting well over a year with no problems at all. The shank looks this:
Kataoka.jpg

That's a really great example of how thin shanks can be unintentionally bent when doing normal things like picking up a suitcase or grasping a door handle. It happens, and thankfully it's rare.

Caysie has made hundreds of rings over the last few years, and the percentage of problems is extremely small. I am on my fifth ring with her and the workmanship is impeccable and I have had no problems. Hundreds of others can say the same. I am extremely sorry for the few people who have had problems. I have had problems with other products (like computers) so I get it. When my hard drive died for the second time in my laptop less than a year old, I ditched it and bought a new one. I take a little of the blame for the way I used it, and I bought higher RAM this time. While I think Caysie could repair this ring and replace the whole shank, I think the style is never going to work for the OP.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Caysie needs to fix this ring. Make it thicker, whatever. Troubleshoot with OP and then re do it.

mamasooz

Rough_Rock
88755470-688B-4EC4-B450-DF0C15C68B82.png I am just going to pay to have it reset By someone else.After the last failure the biggest concern is not loosing the diamond. can anyone refer me to someone who will stand by their work and advise me so this doesn’t happen again.I like the vintage yet look but will definitely listen about materials,size of band etc.I am also laid back as to-time frame.I just want something thatI can wear and won’t break.Anyone know who made this one?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
88755470-688B-4EC4-B450-DF0C15C68B82.png I am just going to pay to have it reset By someone else.After the last failure the biggest concern is not loosing the diamond. can anyone refer me to someone who will stand by their work and advise me so this doesn’t happen again.I like the vintage yet look but will definitely listen about materials,size of band etc.I am also laid back as to-time frame.I just want something thatI can wear and won’t break.Anyone know who made this one?

David Klass will be able to make a beautiful and sturdy ring. I would contact him. OP, do you have insurance?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Caysie needs to fix this ring. Make it thicker, whatever. Troubleshoot with OP and then re do it.

I agree the vendor should have offered to fix the ring but understand why the OP would want to go with someone else at this point. The heated opinions on here remind me of the political threads. :eek2: :lol-2: For what it's worth OP I don't think a shank should break like that with even extreme wear and tear....it's just odd. I hope more tradespeople weigh in on what a good metal & thickness would be to keep your 4ct stone safe going forward.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I were you, I’d check out David Klass or see if Victor Canera would set your outside stone.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's a beautiful setting. I don't know about the strength of a tri-wire (although I have 2 rings made this way)... I think it's important to show your new vendor the photos of your original setting, as well as the photos you've posted here showing the damage to the daintier CVB setting. Hopefully, they will help you choose a setting that will be a better fit for you. Be sure to come back and post many photos!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That ring is basically like the one you have...delicate antique style. I think you need to base it off the ring you wore for a long time, but have them bezel set the diamond with the halo around it. I would not put diamonds on the sides of the shank this time.

But to answer your question, I believe that ring was from S N Queens.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results