shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Spinel in Tiffany Legacy''esque Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jft1215

Rough_Rock
I can''t wait to share my experience with everyone and soak up as much knowledge as I can. I agree about the net right now. I want to see everything in person. I think I''m going to head to the Jewelry District in LA on Monday. Does anyone have any recommendations as where to go for colored stones? Also, the more info regarding dimensions, cut, etc., would be greatly appreciated. I don''t want to walk in the door and have them think they have a pushover on their hands.

Also, should I come prepared with a viewer of some sort (I''ve read about these somewhere).

Thanks again and keep the info pumping - I''m like a sponge right now and am nowhere near full
9.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2005 1:54:21 PM
Author: jft1215
I can''t wait to share my experience with everyone and soak up as much knowledge as I can. I agree about the net right now. I want to see everything in person. I think I''m going to head to the Jewelry District in LA on Monday. Does anyone have any recommendations as where to go for colored stones? Also, the more info regarding dimensions, cut, etc., would be greatly appreciated. I don''t want to walk in the door and have them think they have a pushover on their hands.

Also, should I come prepared with a viewer of some sort (I''ve read about these somewhere).

Thanks again and keep the info pumping - I''m like a sponge right now and am nowhere near full
9.gif
Well.. here is the thing about a viewer.. I know that MZ had posted a question about this before.. I will see if I can find it.

The most important thing is that you HAVE to find a stone that looks yummy to you. NOt just inside... but OUTSIDE as well. Under yellow lights and brighter lights. I would say cut is very very important but if you have a stone with a poor cut then it is probably going to look ''wrong'' to you right away. When it comes to a colored gem.. I think that people may get a little cought up in the loop thing. Don''t be so much this way. INclusions are not always bad.

Don''t give up on the internet. I purchased mine online and I am so thankful that I do. THere are a lot of wonderful verdors around here that would help you a bunch.

Just look for something that jumps out at you. That is the best thing about color... you will know it when you see it!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Check out yingh''s spess. It is absolutely SCRUMPTOUS!!! IT has inclusions in it.. but that is how her type of stone is.. but it is awesome... so inclusions are not always bad.

Sopmetimes you have to have a REALLY good eye and most reputable gemest are going to find you something that is eye clean in a spinel.

Just keep doing the research and keep looking. I will look around tonight and see what I can see.

I am excited for you!!!

jft1215

Rough_Rock
MINE!! You are awesome! Thanks for the reply and great pointers! I know I''ll get the perfect center piece because I came to the right place.

I''ve looked at several online places but if anyone else can throw out more I would appreciate it.

So far, I''ve been to ajsgems.com, cherrypicked.com, gemwow.com. Those are the ones off the top of my head.

One more question, for now
2.gif
, if you order online how long does it typically take to receive?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Also... What you want to know is how big you want your stone. Mine is a 2.35 carat and it is 7.9 mm... but it is concave cut as well. So you need to know that carats for stones are not the same as carats for diamonds. You are going to have a larger carat weight (sometimes) to get the same mm as a lower diamond weight. That is just the way these things work.

Do not be intimedated!! YOu look for something that you like... You wait till you find one that you just think.."oh MY Gooddness I have got to see that'' or I have got to think about having that!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Most places.. after you have sent payment can have a stone out to you within a day... then these places usually send it by Fed Ex and comes within 2-3 days... So it is pretty quick. Do not be afraid to return it if you like it. Most vendors want you to be happy... they know that if you are kept happy, eye candy addict will return to them!!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Here is a a picture of Yingh absolutely beautiful new Mandarin spess.

tinghsspess.jpg

jft1215

Rough_Rock
Wow that is incredible! I bet that turns some heads!

Thanks for the help M!

I posted this Spinel earlier and I keep going back to it! It''s not oval or round but I really like the uniqueness of the octagon shape and the color is great! If someone can provide any feedback on the dimensions, or quality I would appreciate it!

http://www.ajsgems.com/SPI/SPI-00208.htm

Have you or anyone purchased from this place before? Good service? Quick turnaround? I may purchase it so I can see it in person.

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
I worked with Wink Jones and Richard Homer for the ruby sidestones to my ring and both were excellent. I must have sent Wink over a hundred little pictures of red spinels and rubies as I figured that despite being on a different computer screen there couldn''t be that much difference in colour.

In the end Richard got my rubies at the Tucson Gem Show and custom cut them using his famous concave cut
16.gif
Richard also cuts ''traditionally'' i.e. not his usual concave cut if you prefer it.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2005 3:06:33 PM

I posted this Spinel earlier and I keep going back to it! It''s not oval or round but I really like the uniqueness of the octagon shape and the color is great! If someone can provide any feedback on the dimensions, or quality I would appreciate it!

http://www.ajsgems.com/SPI/SPI-00208.htm

Have you or anyone purchased from this place before? Good service? Quick turnaround? I may purchase it so I can see it in person.

Very pretty. I love that lavender pink color. I bought my zircon from AJSGems. They were very nice and turn around was fairly quick; I had my stone within a few days.

jft1215

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kismet! I''m going to order it and see it in person. Hopefully it''s still in their inventory and they can turn it around quick
21.gif

Did you have a problem with them not having your choice in stock?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I had no problem getting the stone I ordered. I''m sure if someone else ordered the stone first, they''d contact you about it rather than shipping a substitute. Only thing is, is that it''s Saturday now in Thailand so I imagine you wouldn''t get a response until their weekend is over.

widget

Ideal_Rock
The first one is: http://www.ajsgems.com/SPI/SPI-00208.htm

It says it''s loupe clean, I''m assuming that means it nearly flawless internally. What about shape/dimensions?
Ooooh!!! It sure looks nice!!!
30.gif
I love the radiant cut! Here are the dimensions: 2.09ct, 7.0x8.9x5.5...

I don''t know what the proportions mean regarding the quality of the cut...maybe an expert can chime in. It sure does look gorgeous from the picture. Here it is:

hjg.jpg

jft1215

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kismet! I read that (about being Saturday). That''s ok though. I''m actually caught between two stones right now!

This one (Pink Sapphire) is amazing and this is the color I envisioned. http://www.ajsgems.com/SPK/SPK-00183.htm

Can anyone tell me what they think about the quality and cut of this stone? Also, what''s it mean that it was heated? I know it''s more $$ but I don''t care, I''m only doing this once!

And from what I have been seeing, a Legacy style setting from Leon sounds like it will only run around $4k or so which means I''m within the all mighty budget. Someone tell me if I''m way undershooting Leon''s prices!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
That''s very pretty, but maybe Valeria can come in to comment on the cut? IT looks good to my eyes, but she really is the wiz!

Is that about the size you want? What size ring does you gf have?

Oooh! THat sapphire is GORGEOUS! Heat treatment improves the color of a sapphire. Unheated sapphires with good color are more expensive. Try doing a PS search for get to the bottom of this.

I second MINE''s advice to trust your eyes... you can tell by looking at somethign if the cut is really good, and you can tell (obviously) if you like the color. It''s goog, though, to know the market so you can be sure you''re getting a fair price.

Good luck! This is fun!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2005 3:50:12 PM
Author: widget

It says it''s loupe clean, I''m assuming that means it nearly flawless internally. What about shape/dimensions?
Ooooh!!! It sure looks nice!!!
30.gif
I love the radiant cut! Here are the dimensions: 2.09ct, 7.0x8.9x5.5...

I don''t know what the proportions mean regarding the quality of the cut...maybe an expert can chime in. It sure does look gorgeous from the picture. Here it is:
Just want to warn you that most color stones look darker in person than the pictures because strong lighting was always used to take pictures. The only exception has been orange spess that will display brown hue in picture that is non-existing in the actual stone.

I like the cut of the pink spinel you picked, but colorwise, I will keep looking.

jft1215

Rough_Rock
Thanks Yingh! What you just told me is invaluable. Do you have an opinion on the Sapphire I posted? It is obviously lighter than the Spinel but want to get a second opinion.

Also, my GF''s ring size is 5.0. Will that sapphire with halo of diamonds be too large for her finger. I''m sure if I asked her she would say no but I want to ask here
9.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2005 4:41:04 PM
Thanks Yingh! What you just told me is invaluable. Do you have an opinion on the Sapphire I posted? It is obviously lighter than the Spinel but want to get a second opinion.

Also, my GF's ring size is 5.0. Will that sapphire with halo of diamonds be too large for her finger. I'm sure if I asked her she would say no but I want to ask here
9.gif

Too much bling bling...??? NO WAY!!! MY spess is a 7.9mm and has halo diamonds around it!! I wear a 5.5... since the dem. of the sapphire are 7.8X9.5 this is going to make a stunning E-ring.

The stone looks beautiful. I like the color of the sapphire... It is very nice... I also think that they cut of the spinel is quite uniue.. veyr nice...

BTW.. you like the purplish color better than the pink.. I know that they has pinks close to the sapphire that you like...

jft1215

Rough_Rock
I knew I could count on you M! I''m going to pull the trigger on the sapphire so I can see it in person unless someone thinks otherwise. Calling all experts, tell me if it should be a no-go otherwise it''s a big green light (pink)
9.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
The pink sapphire look yummy but as I said, I will hesitate with its cut. Not the shape. Oval is fine and will look very pretty in this setting (from previous page on this topic)
32_2.JPG

I am not an expert. From my limited experience, I learned to better avoid a line shaped culet in cutting. The extinction effect will be worse than a pointed culet. The most expensive piece I bought was a beautiful sapphire, but because of its lined culet, I am still wondering to recut, even with weight losses. From picture that sapphire looks like line culet to me.

I use to be a size 5 (pre-kids period) and I have some stones in similar size (7.8 x 9.5mm). I can tell you that is quite large. With halo setting, it will cover over 2/3 of her finger. Not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe you should find out about that part from her first. For me, I would like a little smaller, in the 6x7 range to do Halo. But again, how much do I know?

From your choices by far I can tell you like the lighter shades of pink. Have you considered stronger pinks or what so called hot pinks? I like the latter better.

Honestly I am nervous with the price tag of that pink sapphire you found. I know a lot of you may snort at me, but I bought my entire collection off eBay, and so far I am very pleased. Why don''t you go take a look?

Sometime you can get very nice stuff such as this 2.33CT ANTIQUE CUSHION RUBY
EA003038D.jpg

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Ops. double post. deleted.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I think that you should go for it.. IF you do not like it.. send it back and try all over again... Just for fun...

Here is a cool website that frequent for more information. Some info on spinels (and a nice eye candy too)
http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/spinel.html

and for sapphires
http://www.gemstone.org/gem-by-gem/english/sapphire.html

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Another pink sapphire. Link

EA003321C.jpg

jft1215

Rough_Rock
Thanks for both of this inputs! It really helps me make sound decisions!

Yingh, you mentioned having something re-cut. Just because I''m curious, is it expensive to have that done?

Also, what exactly is a step cut and how does that differ from other cuts?

Boy, this is getting so fun I''m ready for a cocktail
2.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2005 5:23:18 PM
Thanks for both of this inputs! It really helps me make sound decisions!

Yingh, you mentioned having something re-cut. Just because I''m curious, is it expensive to have that done?

Also, what exactly is a step cut and how does that differ from other cuts?

Boy, this is getting so fun I''m ready for a cocktail
2.gif
The cost of recutting depends on the size and type of the gem. Concave is more expensive than traditional. For my 5.66ct sapphire, it will be 250 - 400.

Once my appraiser told me ''Ying, you want to buy not so good cut stones cheap and recut them. It won''t work that way. It is not like buying not so good looking cars and fixed it up"

I was quite upset hearing that. I still don''t see why I cannot? So far it is working.

Step cut is like an emerald cut, facets are parallel instead of angled toward the center (correct me if I got it wrong).

jft1215

Rough_Rock
That makes sense to me. Why can''t you re-cut a stone. I understand that you lose weight but get a far superior stone quality. But then again, what do i know?

What type of cut on an oval sapphire will give the most brilliance? Or is it just not that simple?

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
About recutting:
I know Michael E (who I am working with but not for lapidary) finds inexpensive stones on e-bay and recuts them himself to achieve a more beautiful finished product. As far as a I know, he *usually* sources these stones himself... a lapidarist knows better what stones will work for a recut than a casual (or even not so casual) consumer... I would recommend e-mailing him or Richard Horner or another cutter if you''re interested in this option.

I agree that it might be a best stay under 7mm. My stone is 8.4mm and I wear a size 7.25 and I''m even a little nervous that it''s a tad too big. Maybe take your girlfriend on a window shopping spree so she can try on different styles?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/24/2005 1:12:53 PM

Hi ! Spinel is a bit tricky - many are graish and that dulls light colors quite a bit. This dusty cast also brings prices down... and I think this is what happened with that spinel at AJS. Top color (no gray in it) would have been more expensive at that store - they had a few over time.

On the other side, pink spinel is not all that expensive overall so you might well find a strykingly underpriced thing here and there. It is hard (no, it is impossible) to tell the right shade from a computer screen especially if you do not know the seller''s picture-taking habits / method. This clue about the piece at AJS is just a guess based on their price grid for spinel. Sine the shop has a relaible return policy ( a few Pricescopers execrcised this by now,as far as I remember) you could try that one, of course.

What size do you have in mind ? Palagems has this awesome pink spinel there, but it is not all that large.

A bit ago Gemwow had a 3-4 carat light pink listed: sort of roundish old cut, as deep as it was wide (menaing too deep), but a bargain deserving a recut. There are several interesting red-pink spinel at Multicolour. This, to take some online addresses into acout. Than there is our friend here under the avatar name "Spinel" - the name says a bunch. You might want to address him with a particular request: there are a few interesting spinels on his website and he had been posting even more over time.

Seeing is believing, really. And many wonderful pieces could become allot better by retouching the cut - color and clarity can barely be improved though. So, returning at the AJS piece - that has a very nice, unusual cut but it may be that the color deserved the discount.

Just a thought. All I can see about that stone is the picture - same as you.

jft1215

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the helpful info Valeria. I think that''s my mission if I can''t find a perfect stone, I''ll make it perfect. For example, I''m wondering if it''s economical to have the pink sapphire I posted earlier (3.5cts) recut to perfection and lose some of the weight. Any opinions on this matter anyone?

Here'' the link again: http://www.ajsgems.com/SPK/SPK-00183.htm

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results