shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Spinel in Tiffany Legacy''esque Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
To all Colored Stone Forum members.

SETTgold.com broke several rules in one post and is not a member of this forum anymore.

We ask all the participants DO NOT recommend vendors who did not respect the community Policies.

Thank you

jft1215

Rough_Rock
I hope I haven''t posted anything against the rules. If so let me know.

Well, I want to give an update on my journey for those who care to hear
28.gif
This is just my personal experience and I don''t mean to offend anyone so please don''t take it that way.

I took today off of work to head over to the LA Jewelry District. I got there around 11am and headed directly to the Int''l Jewelry Market located at 550 S. Hill Road. Let me tell you this place is huge and every floor is a labarynth (sp?) of doors and hallways. I went to every merchant in the building that was open to the public (and some of those were closed for various reasons). I was pretty specific in my search but soon realized that I better start looking at several stones that fit my size or shape criteria (just to see a few stones). Let me tell you, in the first building I didn''t see a single stone that even came close to what I was looking for. And I hate to admit but if I hear the word "Bling" one more time I am going to go crazy. One jeweler repeated pulled me in a different direction and when he told me that he had the ring that would make my GF yell "Bling Bling" I thanked him for his time and headed straight for the door! So after about 3 hours in the first building I headed across the street to the California Jewelry Market...

This building is a little older and some of the merchants there we more busy playing solitaire or talking on the phone to be concerned with me
20.gif
. I wandered (and that''s what it felt like) through the building talking to merchants and getting as much information as I could. Needless to say I left empty-handed. At this point I was exhausted from fighting traffic there and dreading the traffic home. But it was time to get on the road.

The trip home was probably the best experience of the day! Traffic was light and almost relieved the knots in my back. But then....

Before heading home I decided to stop at a large B&M store that is always on the radio. I thought "What the hell. How bad can they be?" Holy moly, it was bad. First thing, when I walked in the door, I''m greeted by the cheesiest salesperson in the worst suit. Flashbacks of my last car shopping experience shot through my mind. I''m walked over to another salesperson behind the counter (equipped with a questionnare and notepad). As I walked thru the store looking at settings I was continually asked if I would like them to educate me on diamond quality or how white gold is just as nice as platinum. After about ten minutes of this and looking at 4 settings the "consultant" asked if I would like to take these settings over to an office where we could discuss pricing and payment options. I was like "Hold up here! I told you I was just looking" After rejecting the consultant for the fourth time I was ready to leave. At this time the Consultant brought out the "Manager" who started telling me how diamond prices are going up and I don''t want to miss out on the opportunity of this great deal! She started writing down the settings I was looking at (and they were nice). She then proceeded to ask for my name and phone number. I asked her why she would need that and she told me that it was specifically for filing purposes so when I came back in they could look up the settings I had viewed. Like a dumby (must have been the exhaustion I swear) I gave her my cell number. I told her that it was my home number and not to call it because my GF and I live together and if they ruined the surprise I would be very upset. Well, low and behold! it wasn''t 30 minutes later and they called! I didn''t answer as I didn''t recognize the number. When I checked the message it was the Manager telling me she "had some rings that I need to come see. But hurry they won''t last long." At this point I''m fuming!!!!!
29.gif
I call her back and read her the riot act. I told her that I never had any intention of buying from that chop shop outfit and her actions have just convinced me to recommend anyone AWAY from them! I told her never call my number again and forget I ever came in. She had the nerve to ask what she did wrong! By time she got the question out I had hung up.

So here I sit looking online for many a stone and am actually looking at diamonds as well. I did see the Tiffany Legacy in person the other day and it looked beautiful that''s for sure. I can see a cushion cut stone with a custom setting. Now all I have to do is locate it!

Have a great night. I''m going to tip a drink for all of my fellow PS''ers!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
jft, are you sure it was a jewelry shop?! that''s right out of the car sales manual!!!! what a horrible experience....however, you''ll really appeciate ''the one'' when you find it.

peace, movie zombie

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
jft1215, too funny, you are a wonderful writer

now, imagine all of them from around the world here - that''s why the Rules

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure what your budget is for the setting, but I''m in LA and looking for a similar "legacy like" setting.

If you could spend between 5 - 8 k on the setting, I would highly recommend both Philip Press on Sunset, and Peter Norman on San Vincente in Brentwood. Their stuff is all hand / custom made in platinum, and they each have several different versions of "halo" settings on display and can customize anything.

If the budget is a little more normal, in the 2 - 4 k range for setting say, I''d advise you check out XIV Karats in Beverly Hills. They have a huge selection of legacy like settings, some are name brand like Ritani, some are theirs. They had probably 30 such settings on display, 10 of which I really liked, so tons of options.

I had the exact same experience at Robbins Bros, by the way. They''re so scary. I was there twice, and I really think they all read from scripts, because they said the same exact things to me each time.

jft1215

Rough_Rock
First off, Pricescope, I''m glad I didn''t read what you just wrote about them all being here until this morning or I may have had nightmares all night
2.gif
. I''m glad you are here to fend off the snake-oil salespersons like that! But I''m glad you enjoyed the recap! I had to share with someone and since I can''t share with my GF (at least not yet anyway) I wanted to share with the community. I re-read my post later last night after a soothing cocktail and laughed pretty good. What a way to spend a day off from work! I need a vacation day to recover from my vacation day
41.gif

Zombie, it was right out of a used car movie! The only thing missing was the plaid tweed jacket and cigar hanging from their lips (glad CA is a smoke-free state).

Katrina, I didn''t mention names in my post but you hit the nail right on the head. It was a RB''s store. That scares me to think they are all like that (or at least more than one). And thanks for the headsup with the settings. Once I find the right stone I plan on taking it to those I''ve been in contact with as well as those places that are recommended by fellow PS''ers.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
That was a great (I mean terrible) story, jft! Yeah, Leonid has to be really carefuk about keeping vendors in check around here. He does a pretty good job of encouraging them to share their knowledge with us while making sure that no one is getting a sales pitch.

Anyway, if you do find a B&M jeweler you like, it would be possible for them to source a stone for you. My only experience with that is when I was looking at emeralds a while ago and had a hard time finding ones I liked. I went to a higher-end, locally-owned B&M here in Houston and they got 4 stones to (close) to my specifications. I didn''t really flip for any of them and I found the prices to be higher than I expected. I didn''t wound up getting an emerald, so I didn''t persue it. I think Raddygast''s spinel was source by a B&M jeweler, so you might want to talk with him about it.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
some jewelry stores just don''t have an interest in loose stones and even though they may have a good reputation, they don''t necessarily get great stones for me to preview....that has been my experience. however, i have found a store in san carlos that has in its employ a woman who really loves color stones. i find her to be a good resources. it takes time to find such a person though.

my only other comment is that i know i''m still learning and part of the price i''m willing to pay when shopping for color is for the experience and ''eye'' of the seller. there are certain color gem sellers who have a reputation and it is true we pay for that reputation. but it can be worth it.

i have to say it does seem strange to me that lala land doesn''t have more to offer.....

peace, movie zombie

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Goodness!!! Sorry to hear that jtf... (now I am sorry I say bling bling so much!!!) (kinda..lol)

Have had my run in with jewelers as well... so I understand.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Bless your heart, I am glad you only gave a cell number and not your house line. It sounds like people have given you some solid leads here...good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results