shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Spinel in Tiffany Legacy''esque Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
You know... What is your timeline for getting the stone? I would take another day and utilize some of the Pscope vendors and those on the threads to see what they may have. Richard Wise and Michael E are others that you should think about getting in cantact with. Sometimes they have some yummy tucked away and they can find you what you want and what colors you want.. and cuts as well. I would suggest just taking a day...and getting in touch with them.

But go out and look around.. definitely.

NOw.. as for size... MZ has a 8 carat spess that she is planning on using for an engagement ring.. perhaps she can pop in to let you know how she feels about the size.

For reference I have put a pic of my ring, so you can see proportions. IT is a 7.9mm spess with a halo setting. It will really depends on your FI and whether she likes a lot of bling.

As for the price of the sapphire on ajgems... I am not sure about how prices should run when it comes to sapphires.. but it does look a little pricey to me... but I am sure sapphire lovers can help you with that.

8mmsoesswithdiamonds.jpg

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
http://www.rwwise.com/index_content.html

Check out Richard''s website... he has some yummy pink spinel and some yummy sapphires... take a look.. they are awesome!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Check out this one. I''ve bought from them before and returned 5, all 100% refunds.
2.1ct Pink Spinel

gem-52932b

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh yingh.. that is beautiful!!!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/24/2005 11:19:08 PM
Author: MINE!!
Ohhh yingh.. that is beautiful!!!
I know! and for that price! They have some good stuff.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That is a stunner and the size looks perfect....I cant wait to see more pics!
36.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2005 11:14:29 PM
Author: yingh
Check out this one. I''ve bought from them before and returned 5, all 100% refunds.
2.1ct Pink Spinel

gem-52932b
Sorry to hijak for a moment . . .

I''ve seen a lot of this company''s stones on eBay and they are always photographed so well. Since you have experience with them, Yingh, would you say that their photographs are true to color and their descriptions accurate? I have been hesitating about buying a colored stone over the net since I''m so picky about color. I''d rather not get something and have to return it because it wasn''t exactly like the picture, you know?
33.gif

DiamondLil

jft1215

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the links and pictures! Both of those are incredible! I''m taking your advice and am taking my time to find the perfect one and then it''s time to start pulling some triggers
31.gif
but I better not hesitate because it sounds like there are some other suitors of these stones out there!
18.gif

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/25/2005 1:53:35 PM
Author: diamondlil

I''ve seen a lot of this company''s stones on eBay and they are always photographed so well. Since you have experience with them, Yingh, would you say that their photographs are true to color and their descriptions accurate? I have been hesitating about buying a colored stone over the net since I''m so picky about color. I''d rather not get something and have to return it because it wasn''t exactly like the picture, you know?

DiamondLil

Among all the eBay gem sellers I''ve dealt with, settgold is the best in communication and service, besides their vast selection of color stones. They truly honor their return policy and has a Hawaii based office to receive returns. All I needed to do is to drop the stone in a padded envolope with only .37 stamp. All my returns were processed within 2-3 days!

As with all other online vendors, the color shown in the picture won''t match 100% of the real gem. All I can say is that their picture so far is quite true to the real color. It really depends on the type of the stone. Usually the picture is lighter than the real thing, due to strong lighting used during photographing. Their clarity rating is very honest. (now I feel they should be paying me)
37.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/24/2005 3:55:43 PM
Author: jft1215

And from what I have been seeing, a Legacy style setting from Leon sounds like it will only run around $4k or so which means I''m within the all mighty budget. Someone tell me if I''m way undershooting Leon''s prices!
didn''t see a reply to your Leon question yet, so thought i would chime in. $4k sounds about right for a detailed LM creation.

your ring is going to be sooo amazing! can''t wait to see it
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, my....i''m weak in the knees! i hadn''t checked this thread out ''cause of the word ''pink'' in the title as i''m not a ''pink'' type of person. wow, and wow again! didn''t realize there were so many variations in the color. my shopping list for gems just got another color added to it!

peace, movie zombie

golden_eyes

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/24/2005 3:09:06 PM
Author: just_looking!
I worked with Wink Jones and Richard Homer for the ruby sidestones to my ring and both were excellent. I must have sent Wink over a hundred little pictures of red spinels and rubies as I figured that despite being on a different computer screen there couldn''t be that much difference in colour.

In the end Richard got my rubies at the Tucson Gem Show and custom cut them using his famous concave cut
16.gif
Richard also cuts ''traditionally'' i.e. not his usual concave cut if you prefer it.
just_looking - thank you so much for posting this info! I didn''t know that R. Homer did flat faceting (i.e. traditional, non-concave faceting). That''s great to know!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is my understanding that richard homer started as a traditional faceter and that some of his earlier pieces are simply exquiste. read about it in a thread somewhere on pricescope.

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just took a look over SetGold... How about these ones:

gem-53198a.jpg
gem-53200a.jpg

I was moslty looking for color. Either is about 1k and 3 cts... and neither needs a recut as far as I can tell, unless you want the shape modified in a certain way. Of course, marginal improvements are always feasible and depend on choice, these two just seem to have a correct cut - nothing specatcular, but no glaring trouble that could be seen from those pictures.

Speaking of taste and shapes... this one below is allot closer of what I might have in mind when thinking "pink spinel". The stone might be a bit 'dusty' in color though, hard to tell from the picture.

gem-53251a.jpg

Any decision yet ?
2.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Settgold takes awesome pictures!!! Those stones are absolutely beautiful, Val.
30.gif

DiamondLil

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2005 1:54:11 PM
Author: valeria101
Just took a look over SetGold... How about these ones:

I was moslty looking for color. Either is about 1k and 3 cts... and neither needs a recut as far as I can tell, unless you want the shape modified in a certain way. Of course, marginal improvements are always feasible and depend on choice, these two just seem to have a correct cut - nothing specatcular, but no glaring trouble that could be seen from those pictures.

Speaking of taste and shapes... this one below is allot closer of what I might have in mind when thinking 'pink spinel'. The stone might be a bit 'dusty' in color though, hard to tell from the picture.

Any decision yet ?

Good catch valeria! I really like the cushion one! It might worth of getting.

Now to go a little not so 'pink' - Settgold also has this one called 'silver blue' color. Can you imagine how this will look like in person?

gem-51742b

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I am not a fan of the pear cut but that one is JUST AWESOME!!!!! YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Good heavens....that cushion Ana posted gives me palpatations!!!
3.gif
I actually really like a slightly "dusty rose" color.....it's so rich looking...

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I agree they are drool worthy!!!!
30.gif
30.gif

jft1215

Rough_Rock
I just back from the weekend and my eyes nearly popped out of my head!
30.gif
Everyone, thank you so much for pointing out such beautiful stones. You sure are making my job a lot easier! And Valeria, that last one is absolutely stunning.

I didn''t get a chance to get out this weekend and look but will hopefully see some in person this week. But those internet finds are going to be tough to beat. I know I can''t lose with any of them!

Thanks again for helping a novice out and I can''t wait to see how this unfolds! I''m sure it will turn out unbelievable!

jft1215

Rough_Rock
Well it looks like I''m off to the LA Jewelry District tomorrow. I''ve recieved so much advice and seen so many incredible stones that I thought that I better go look at some myself to really get a grasp on what I''m looking for. At least this way I will have a somewhat educated eye when looking at anything online. Every Sapphire and Spinel that has been recommended or forwarded to me has been incredible and that''s what makes the job so tough.

Can anyone recommend any places to start looking for sapphires or spinels? I want to narrow my scope so I''m not wandering aimlessly
4.gif

Also, any pointers I should know before entering the lair? I want to make the best decision I can and be informed of any pitfalls.

As always, thanks for all of your help and I will post my findings!

jft1215

Rough_Rock

Hey everyone. I just received the details on this Pink Sapphire (withholding source for now) and wanted to see what everyone thought (quality, etc). I''ve received the Cert. as well. From what I''ve been told the picture is very true to color. The asking price is around $3k. The vitals are:

Weight: 2.27ct
Size (mm): 7.29x6.80x4.43
Shape: Cushion
Cut: Mixed, Brilliant Crown
No enhancements

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

pinksapphire.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The haze in that stone (call it texture, silk, whatever...) will make thecolor show better in different lighting, but you hvae to like the look to begin with. Some do, some prefer clear brilliant texture. Maybe those inclusions are a bit too much of a good thing here, although that wonderful color provides some valid excuse.

'Widget' has a pad with some texture (left in the picture), although less thick than the sapphire's you have posted.
I like Widget's stone very much, but would not have one with allot more texture unless the design of the piece calls for this quality for a fun rtaher than classic piece. In one of her posts, she mentions that this pad holds its color in low light allot better than a rather impressive Burma blue she has, silk must be helping with that...

Untitled-Stitched-01.jpg

Just one way to look at it, of course. If you do like the stone as is, there is no point giving it up just because. I can esily understand why someone would go for it, because the stone is beautiful in its own right.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I have a "clear brilliant" preference, but it''s definitely a personal thing. Of course, that is the exact thing that is pushing me toward a red spinel versus a ruby (well, that and the pricetag
2.gif
).

DiamondLil

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Also, make sure you want to go with an unheated piece. It''s a personal decision, of course. Some would rather know that they were getting more bang for their buck, others would prefer a stone with the look it came out of the ground with...

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2005 8:28:39 PM
Author: velouriaL
Also, make sure you want to go with an unheated piece. It''s a personal decision, of course. Some would rather know that they were getting more bang for their buck, others would prefer a stone with the look it came out of the ground with...

Keep in mind though.. some stones are heated to enhance the color. From what I gather it is very difficult to find a perfectly UNTREATED sapphire.. But of course it is possible. But Heated stones are not all bad.. they are used to enhance the stone. There are some stones.. such as tourmaline that are heated in order to enhance their color... some are not... I do not think that velouria''s stone is heated.. and it is gorgeous... but something being heated does not ness. make it a lower quality. From what I gather from things I have read in these threads.. heated is not ness. bad. There are OTHER treatment.. irradation, etc. that are more frowned upon.

Maybe an expert can chime in on this one. Also search the threads.. I know that I asked the question about heated vs not before.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/27/2005 8:49:58 PM
Author: MINE!!

From what I gather from things I have read in these threads.. heated is not ness. bad. There are OTHER treatment...
From what I know, the more invasive/ radical the treatment, the more it lowers price. Heating itself could be more or less intense (you might find some sapphire said to be ''enhanced by low heat''). But that degree of analysis is rare in itself. AGTA makes such differences, I do not know what other labs might say besides enhanced / not enhanced.

I have no idea if sapphire is enhanced by irradiation, but there are other enhancements that have diverse effects n the stones and their prices: fracture filling, difussion or heating with chemical additives and who knows what else.

All can be identified by the major cetifying labs or by an independent gemological laboratory. An appraiser could advise you about the value of the stone whatever the result of the gemological investigaion might be. If you find value in such information, it may be a good idea to have an appraisal. The reputation of the seller can compensate for this, but it is your call to decide that.

Although that heavy texture makes me believe that this stone has not been through clarity or color enhancement and has a good chance of not having been heated (or else the silk shatters it or makes it look more included), I am no expert... and would use the advice of one for an important purchase.

Just a thought.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the color of the pink sapphire; but my personal preference is for better clarity.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
That color is lovely, but that is it. I know I''d rather have a heated stone that has the clear look. it will affect the beauty.

Did you ask to see more pictures of the stone. because I am concerned about the the lines being parallel, maybe just the angle of the shot.

jft1215

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I agree on the stone. I''ve seen some great ones online and also have decided to look around the 3ct weight. I''m trying to go to the LA Jewelry District tomorrow and see some stones in person. Today didn''t work out. Dang job seems to always get in the way of my fun
29.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results