shape
carat
color
clarity

Pink Pear vs White Asscher for RHR

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2006 10:57:56 PM
Author: hlmr
It is a hard choice as the pink pear is beautiful but yes, there seems to be a visible bow-tie effect going on there.....

The asscher is gorgeous too and you could lose yourself looking inside that stone as well......

Go with your gut instinct.

eta: that setting looks lovely!
Thanks hlmr...Relying on my "gut instinct" has had me going back and forth for the past 2 days.
38.gif

The asscher setting is a great design, I think. If that design had not been shown to me, I''m sure I would have grabbed that pink pear and run with it (never looking back
9.gif
)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2006 11:04:12 PM
Author: widget

Date: 6/29/2006 10:46:18 PM
Author: isaku5
Is this what''s called ''the bowtie effect'' , kaleigh?
I think THIS is what I''d call a ''bow tie'' effect...

It''s much much less noticable IRL, and not bothersome at all. I''m sure Pinky is much better cut than this old stone...

widget
HI W:

Could I borrow this "old" stone indefinately?

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH... I love that setting. Through GOG huh? He''s done baguette halo''s before??? Might have to change my vote. Didn''t know things were this far along. Huh.

Love the pink for RHR. And the spread of the pear. And I love the rose gold setting. Bowtie might bug me too,though, depending on how bad it was.

On the other hand.

That asscher is a beaut. Would have no problems staring at that thing for long periods of time. Love the proposed setting too.

Honestly. I think I prefer the pink... I just love colored diamonds though. So I''m not the best judge. I just think it''s more unique and I love the pave halo with rose gold with the pink diamond. It''s an overall thing for me. This is a RHR, after all.

But then... I trust GOG 100%. I know others have bought from the pink pear place... but I don''t know. I might send the pear to an appraiser if possible to have it evaluated... but you only have a week left.

When you close your eyes and make an immediate arbitrary choice of one or then the other. Which one fills you with more regret? Sometimes that works for me.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2006 11:04:12 PM
Author: widget

Date: 6/29/2006 10:46:18 PM
Is this what''s called ''the bowtie effect'' , kaleigh?
I think THIS is what I''d call a ''bow tie'' effect...

It''s much much less noticable IRL, and not bothersome at all. I''m sure Pinky is much better cut than this old stone...

widget
That''s what I thought the bow tie looked like, widget, and that''s what made me wonder if what was going on in the centre of the pink pear was called something different.

Btw, for all my time spent on PS, I still don''t know what IRL means. Please enlighten me.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2006 11:07:10 PM
Author: canuk-gal

Could I borrow this ''old'' stone indefinately?
Thanks, Sharon!
2.gif
35.gif

widget

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
IRL= In Real Life

Snooper

Brilliant_Rock
PICK THE PINK!!! I don''t think there would be a return problem since you''d have to have it resized. When I purchased my ring from them, I had to get it sized up for my RH, and the return policy was still valid if I wasn''t happy.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
IRL= In real life

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2006 11:12:01 PM
Author: Gypsy
OH... I love that setting. Through GOG huh? He''s done baguette halo''s before??? Might have to change my vote. Didn''t know things were this far along. Huh.

Love the pink for RHR. And the spread of the pear. And I love the rose gold setting. Bowtie might bug me too,though, depending on how bad it was.

On the other hand.

That asscher is a beaut. Would have no problems staring at that thing for long periods of time. Love the proposed setting too.

Honestly. I think I prefer the pink... I just love colored diamonds though. So I''m not the best judge. I just think it''s more unique and I love the pave halo with rose gold with the pink diamond. It''s an overall thing for me. This is a RHR, after all.

But then... I trust GOG 100%. I know others have bought from the pink pear place... but I don''t know. I might send the pear to an appraiser if possible to have it evaluated... but you only have a week left.

When you close your eyes and make an immediate arbitrary choice of one or then the other. Which one fills you with more regret? Sometimes that works for me.
Hi again, Gypsy.....Yep, things started moving quickly this week and it was Jonathan''s suggestion that his setter of choice could do a great job with the new setting idea. Whether he''s done one before, I honestly don''t know although J seemed to remember that he had, but couldn''t find pictures.

As you go back and forth between the two in your post, that''s exactly what I''m doing today.

If I had to choose this minute, I''d pick the pink pear....but how much of that is because it''s a recent arrival?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh! What a decision! They are both beautiful and totally different! One of each would solve everything!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I have no emotion invested in this - maybe all the hassle of the assher has worn you out. BUT
I looooove the assher.

The pink oval is really differnt from the serene assher- it''s glitzy and gaudy (good gaudy !
30.gif
) and unabashedly feminine.
It''s almost like comparing apples and oranges. It''s hard for me to compare these 2.

That drawing of the assher setting is sublime.
I''m in the minority, but I''d go for the assher. No doubt.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2006 11:24:06 PM
Hi again, Gypsy.....Yep, things started moving quickly this week and it was Jonathan''s suggestion that his setter of choice could do a great job with the new setting idea. Whether he''s done one before, I honestly don''t know although J seemed to remember that he had, but couldn''t find pictures.

As you go back and forth between the two in your post, that''s exactly what I''m doing today.

If I had to choose this minute, I''d pick the pink pear....but how much of that is because it''s a recent arrival?
Can you clear your mind of both of these for a second... and give me five words that sum up what you want your RHR-- in abstract terms-- to be. What do you want it to convey?

For example to you want it to be:

An attention grabber.
Elegant.
Classic.
Feminine.
Clean lined.
Architectural.
Arresting.
Understated.

Or any other words? What-- when you started this project (before all the confusing) were your goals for this?

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, if you weren't Canadian, I might vote for the pink pear because it's different, I love pears, and I love pink. But I'm trying to picture you wearing that honker around. I mean, I've just never seen anything that large on a Canadian finger (the stone is big to begin with, and then is made larger visually by the halo). But we obviously don't travel in the same circle.
11.gif
Anyway, the asscher would be elegant in a stately way.

Tough call. My gut also says that if you've had all this energy invested in what has been termed the PITA asscher project, then maybe you should just keep going with that. I don't know what kind of setting you've chosen for the asscher, but even if it's a halo, too, it would still be a bit more understated.

Edited to add: Having looked back in the thread and seen the proposed setting for the asscher, I'm still thinking asscher.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
honestly between the two, the pink pear to me is more unique and special than the asscher. i don''t know why...when in reality it seems like a cherry asscher in a baguette setting would be unique and special too. i don''t know that we''ve ever seen one on there! but we haven''t seen a pink pear with halo either!

i have a real soft spot for pink diamonds, i would love to own one someday. and so i think if these two projects were on the table, i''d take the pink pear. it''s a showstopper. and yes the asscher is more subtle elegance. but that pink pear!!! it''s stunning. i LOVE that hand shot. love it. pink pear.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
The bowtie area on this pink pear is nowhere near bad at all, to my eye. Every single solitary pear cut is going to have that different faceting look in the bowtie area because of the shape of the stone and how it has to be cut. IRL I bet you won''t even notice it. That hand shot sold me. Even Widget''s marquise I''m sure doesn''t look like the picture she posted MOST of the time. You can always catch a non-symmetrical stone in a ''compromising position'' in pictures - it is a snapshot in time. That doesn''t mean the stone always looks this way!

I''d still pick the pear. The color on that stone....I mean WOW. And if it had been graded fancy light pink....you''d never find it at this price. This stone has the nicest pink color (in not an astronomical price range) I''ve seen in a while. If I had that cash lying around right now, let''s just say I''d already be wearing it while you debated about it in this thread.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color of that pink diamond is simply mouthwatering. Powder pink. Pale pastel pink. Very, very feminine, special, and different. Although I love a well-cut asscher, a pink diamond is just more of a rarity compared to an asscher. Of course, an asscher in the setting you had in mind would blow me away too, so it''s a toss-up. I honestly don''t think you could go wrong with either, though at this point if I were you I''d be so ready to throw in the towel and just pick one! It''s a win-win situation, either way you can''t lose. I honestly can''t decide between the two since they''re both equally delicious, but in different ways. Sorry I''m not more helpful!

widget

Ideal_Rock
FG:

I agree with everything you''ve said, In fact this morning I was playing with my marquise ring, trying to see the bowtie that is so blatant in the picture...and I can''t find it!

And I''m with you on the pink pear...for all the same reasons, I''d take it over the asscher (and this from a die-hard asscher fan!
6.gif
) Truth is, I thought long and hard about that ring when I first saw it. Thankfully, sanity has returned...
20.gif

I bet it won''t be available for long!

widget

SquareCut

Shiny_Rock
I think you should get both! Wear one as a pendant and the other as a RHR.
11.gif

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I sure wish I were you and had this decision to make
2.gif

After looking at both, I would be happy with either (happy is an understatement!). I think the asscher in that setting looks more like an engagement ring, than a RHR. I could be wrong, and there is NOTHING wrong with that asscher on a RH. However, the pink pear looks more like a RHR and is just so unique and rare...I mean, its a PINK DIAMOND PEAR IN A HALO!

Whatever you pick, you are very luck!
30.gif
30.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your input. As always, I can count on PS''ers to be honest... and enthusiastic!!!!

diamondseeker and SquareCut...you''ve both got a great idea...Buy both. Sorry stretched to the limit to buy one.

Gypsy....personality test???? I tried to pick characteristics that reflected the pink pear choice( I guess that tells you something, right there... hehe). The initial requirements were "drop- dead gorgeous".

dbgaap... you''re right, it''s feminine and so am I. No one would ever describe me as wearing anything "gaudy or glitzy". To me, a pink diamond is neither gaudy, glitzy or ostentatious- it''s good taste in a feminine way. Now if it was a 5c pink, that would be different hehe.

Daniela...Canadian? proudly so!!! Pink diamond in Canada. Why not????

Mara...After all the flak I went through finding the right asscher in the right setting, I''m starting to think it wasn''t "meant to be".

FireGoddess....I love your enthusiasm!! Of couse, you may be a bit biased in favour of princesses, but hey, why not?

KristyDarling... pale pasel pink without the "fancy label is hard to pass up. You could hardly describe the pink ring as a bargain, but it is somewhat rare, as you said.

Widget....I''m thinking as I type that I should be on the phone to David before someone else "snags it"

After all these posts, you can see which direction I''m going.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2006 3:14:35 PM

FireGoddess....I love your enthusiasm!! Of couse, you may be a bit biased in favour of princesses, but hey, why not?
I''m sure you meant pears.
2.gif
But even so, I''d steer you away from a bad one. There''s nothing bad to be said about this beauty.
30.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH YEAH!!! I was hoping you''d say that!!!

PINK, PINK, PINK!!! I can''t wait to see hand pics!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2006 4:01:21 PM
Author: FireGoddess

Date: 6/30/2006 3:14:35 PM

I''m sure you meant pears.
2.gif
But even so, I''d steer you away from a bad one. There''s nothing bad to be said about this beauty.
30.gif
Sorry about that, FireGoddess...I don''t know how princesses got in there. My e-ring is a princess, maybe that''s why.
35.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2006 4:04:41 PM
OH YEAH!!! I was hoping you''d say that!!!

PINK, PINK, PINK!!! I can''t wait to see hand pics!
Gypsy....I''m waiting with bated breath right now as confirmation of availability should be forthcoming (furiously biting nails and saying, not THAT nail, that''s the one that may have a pink diamond on it.)

Fingers crossed, toes crossed. eyes crossed....waiting. David was with another customer....

Will let you know when I know.
36.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2006 4:21:01 PM
I want this one. FOR ME!!! Talk me down ladies...lol. Before I give DF an heart attack.
I dunno. I''m inclined TO ENCOURAGE YOU. I nearly talked my best friend into trading her wedding set in for something very similar in the 29K range!!
23.gif
That one was 2+ct fancy yello with trap sides, but - on the hand it looked about the same size wise, so this is a spready sucker!

I like cushions better than ovals ... it''s way UNIQUE & BIG ...
11.gif
11.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s spready because it''s got 55.5% depth. But it''s purdy. I wanted a canary diamond when we started shopping. It was my first choice. But then we saw the prices... and decided against it. I actually like that it''s just shy of ''fancy'' yellow. Price is great... which worries me. It''s VVS... but the niumbers are wacky.

159cushcert.JPG

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy....That is a gorgeous stone, but I still like your asscher; it just needs a halo to bump it up a bit.
9.gif

Still waiting.....

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Sorry Gypsy,

I know nothing about ideal cushion measurements, and not much about pear measurements.
6.gif

I think when you''re looking at a coloured diamond, the tone should be perfect for your taste.

I have never been a fan of any diamond colour other than pink (my soft spot), so haven''t considered a yellow one at all. David has a very good explanation of how colour is determined on his website.

Still waiting.....

PS Once I informed Jonathan that I was looking at the pink pear, the 2.26 asscher was made available to anyone who wanted it. Go for it, PS''ers....!!!!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2006 4:37:34 PM
It''s spready because it''s got 55.5% depth. But it''s purdy. I wanted a canary diamond when we started shopping. It was my first choice. But then we saw the prices... and decided against it. I actually like that it''s just shy of ''fancy'' yellow. Price is great... which worries me. It''s VVS... but the niumbers are wacky.

I think some of the prettiest cushions around Pscope are a similar depth (Lizz? Albie?-- maybe I''m remembering wrong) Don''t know much about other cushion #s though

I can''t help wondering how it would look set East/West ...
11.gif
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results