shape
carat
color
clarity

Photos of Lightbox Jewelry

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@stonewell I can't find the logo. I'm using a 30x 60x loupe I just got from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078N34WZR?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf. I've been trying with both 30 and 60x, with and without the light on, moving it around, closer, farther away, I cannot find it. Any advice? I really want to be able to find it so I can check after I have it set and make sure it's the same stone. It's so clear in your picture, I don't understand why I can't find it. :(

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@stonewell I can't find the logo. I'm using a 30x 60x loupe I just got from Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078N34WZR?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf. I've been trying with both 30 and 60x, with and without the light on, moving it around, closer, farther away, I cannot find it. Any advice? I really want to be able to find it so I can check after I have it set and make sure it's the same stone. It's so clear in your picture, I don't understand why I can't find it. :(

Don’t be worried, it took me a while to find it myself and the pic I shared was a lucky one from over a dozen I took to capture the logo. So I have lots of fuzzy versions. :lol:

I could only locate it with the 60x loupe. And definitely use the loupe’s led light too. It’ll help make the logo stand out. The inscription is not quite dead center, however, use that as your starting point. The 60x lens is rather small, so I have to literally hold it almost directly on the stone. Once it comes into focus, move the loupe very, very slowly in a circular pattern to scan for it.

If it still eludes you, take a break and come back to it later. I’m certain it will pop up with a fresh set of eyes. ;)2

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
$7k USD, though? That seems quite high... but perhaps I have already adjusted unknowingly and subconsciously to Lightbox's "$800/ct" mantra... LOL :lol:

That seems high to me, too...... In reading through all the questions/comments on that Instagram post, it seems that he personally selected that stone as already having ideal cut and favorable color out of a large number of candidates. He said that around 90% of lab stones have a bit of brown tint, so he has to check a lot of stones to find the ones that are the "cream of the lab crop", so to speak. I wonder if that is what jacks up the price - the "top tier" qualities of the stone, plus his extra labor costs for finding it, plus of course the highly skilled recutting by someone willing to work with a lab stone. Just a guess.....

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did anyone else see on the August Vintage Instagram page that Jonathon is considering cutting MMDs in his branded cuts, as well? He was asking for folks' input on whether he should or not, and, if he does, whether or not he should use the August Vintage name for them.

I chimed in with a very enthusiastic YES!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That seems high to me, too...... In reading through all the questions/comments on that Instagram post, it seems that he personally selected that stone as already having ideal cut and favorable color out of a large number of candidates. He said that around 90% of lab stones have a bit of brown tint, so he has to check a lot of stones to find the ones that are the "cream of the lab crop", so to speak. I wonder if that is what jacks up the price - the "top tier" qualities of the stone, plus his extra labor costs for finding it, plus of course the highly skilled recutting by someone willing to work with a lab stone. Just a guess.....

I did wonder about that comment on '90% of MMDs having a brown undertone' - I'm not sure how accurate that is.

@ChristineRose would be my go-to Ps-expert on MMDs so maybe she might be able to offer input! :))

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did wonder about that comment on '90% of MMDs having a brown undertone' - I'm not sure how accurate that is.

@ChristineRose would be my go-to Ps-expert on MMDs so maybe she might be able to offer input! :))

So this is a complicated question. I really doubt that's it's 90% though.

There are two ways to grow diamond, carbon vapor deposition (CVD) and high-temperature high-pressure. CVD diamonds start as a flat plate and grow upwards. They can theoretically grow to any size, but the growth is slow.

According to GIA, CVD are more common.

https://www.gia.edu/gia-news-research-improved-quality-identification-challenges

CVD are generally gray or brown when they come out of the chamber. From what I've heard gray is more common than brown. However GIA also reports that it's possible to make yellow, pink-orange, or blue-gray CVD diamonds by introducing gas into the chamber.

HTHP diamonds come out of the chamber yellow or blue. Yellow is when you leave nitrogen (air is mostly nitrogen) in the chamber. Blue is when you suck out the air and add boron. The size of an HTHP diamond is determined by the size of the growth chamber. The really big diamonds are never HTHP.

Pink, green, and white diamonds are made by HTHP treatment, which in addition to the HTHP growth. Colors can also be achieved by radiation (as is used for natural diamonds) but this seems to be rare. Nice natural diamonds are generally not treated, but HTHP treatment requires the diamond to have decent clarity or the stone will break. Radiation can also break a stone, but the stones they start with are pretty worthless so they don't care.

But I would assume Jonathon knows what he is talking about. The obvious question I'd have though is why he doesn't just choose HTHP diamonds, which have less of an undertone.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@ChristineRose Does that mean Lightbox uses both methods, CVD and HTHP, since they are producing both pink and blue? I was curious what method was used to grow my white LB, but I didn't do much digging.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@frogplus: They probably grow CVD and treat with HTHP. I wouldn't be shocked though if they grew HTHP because all HTHP come out the size of the growth chamber and all there's are the same couple of sizes.

Even though they have the same name and similar principles, HTHP growing and HTHP treatment are done on different machines.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But I would assume Jonathon knows what he is talking about. The obvious question I'd have though is why he doesn't just choose HTHP diamonds, which have less of an undertone.

Oh, gosh - I think I was unclear! It was the gentleman from Park's Fine Group that said that 90% had a brown tint, not Jonathon. Sorry!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So this is a complicated question. I really doubt that's it's 90% though.

There are two ways to grow diamond, carbon vapor deposition (CVD) and high-temperature high-pressure. CVD diamonds start as a flat plate and grow upwards. They can theoretically grow to any size, but the growth is slow.

According to GIA, CVD are more common.

https://www.gia.edu/gia-news-research-improved-quality-identification-challenges

CVD are generally gray or brown when they come out of the chamber. From what I've heard gray is more common than brown. However GIA also reports that it's possible to make yellow, pink-orange, or blue-gray CVD diamonds by introducing gas into the chamber.

HTHP diamonds come out of the chamber yellow or blue. Yellow is when you leave nitrogen (air is mostly nitrogen) in the chamber. Blue is when you suck out the air and add boron. The size of an HTHP diamond is determined by the size of the growth chamber. The really big diamonds are never HTHP.

Pink, green, and white diamonds are made by HTHP treatment, which in addition to the HTHP growth. Colors can also be achieved by radiation (as is used for natural diamonds) but this seems to be rare. Nice natural diamonds are generally not treated, but HTHP treatment requires the diamond to have decent clarity or the stone will break. Radiation can also break a stone, but the stones they start with are pretty worthless so they don't care.

Thank you for your assistance! :))

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Popped the diamond out today, there's no going back now. :eek2:

She weighed it for me and it's exactly .5 which is great, I was expecting it to be a little lower since they say it can be a range.

IMG_20181009_102806.jpg

I decided not to do any ASET or Idealscope images while it was loose, partly because I didn't want to bother with getting those tools, but also because I'm really happy with it already and I don't need to know how much light leakage there is. I'd rather just say ignorant and happy. Sorry guys.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Popped the diamond out today, there's no going back now. :eek2:

She weighed it for me and it's exactly .5 which is great, I was expecting it to be a little lower since they say it can be a range.

IMG_20181009_102806.jpg

I decided not to do any ASET or Idealscope images while it was loose, partly because I didn't want to bother with getting those tools, but also because I'm really happy with it already and I don't need to know how much light leakage there is. I'd rather just say ignorant and happy. Sorry guys.
This is exciting! Please show us the photos of it when it’s set! I’m hoping your boyfriend proposes soon!
Don’t worry about disappointing anyone about the ASET or Idealscope..I’m sure there will be plenty of other people that will do them..

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
This is exciting! Please show us the photos of it when it’s set! I’m hoping your boyfriend proposes soon!
Don’t worry about disappointing anyone about the ASET or Idealscope..I’m sure there will be plenty of other people that will do them..

I really hope he doesn't make me wait too long! They said it will be done by the end of the week, they will call him when it's ready and he'll go pick it up and pay for it, so I won't even see it until I'm engaged!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really hope he doesn't make me wait too long! They said it will be done by the end of the week, they will call him when it's ready and he'll go pick it up and pay for it, so I won't even see it until I'm engaged!
I like that you won’t see it all done! I would be on eggshells waiting which adds to the excitement! I’m so happy for you..I’m going to be wondering when you’ll get your proposal! Keep us in the loop! :geek2:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I just keep looking at the pictures wondering if I made the right call. Maybe the shank should have been thinner... I think it's 2mm though so it can't be much thinner.

Here's a pic I snapped off the LB .5 carat just sitting in the setting today. The shank looks so thick...
IMG_20181009_103139~2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181005_171549.jpg
    IMG_20181005_171549.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20181005_171549.jpg
    IMG_20181005_171549.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 40

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks lovely but you have to like it. If you don’t love it call the jeweler before she sets it. Are you concerned with the area next to the diamond where it’s tapered? I wouldn’t go below 2mm on the bottom of the shank or it will be too thin.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks lovely but you have to like it. If you don’t love it call the jeweler before she sets it. Are you concerned with the area next to the diamond where it’s tapered? I wouldn’t go below 2mm on the bottom of the shank or it will be too thin.

This part. Idk it just looks so thick now. In some lighting it looks fine though. Ughhhh I don't know. What would I even do if I don't get this one? They've already looked for me knowing I wanted thin shank, 6 prongs, tapered, and this is what they found.
Screenshot_20181009-165120.png

Attachments

• IMG_20181005_171800.jpg
    IMG_20181005_171800.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 28

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I totally get rethinking things. Every little thing can seem like such a huge decision. You could tell them that you want more taper. Like down to 1.5mm on the shoulders.

If you want to change anything, now is the time to do it.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I just called and told them I'm having second thoughts, they already sized the ring but they're going to wait to set it until I call back tomorrow. I think more taper would make it worse, it would make the sides look even thicker. Ugh. I don't know what to do.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What do you think of this? I don't know who made it. I stole the picture from another board.

post tapered engagement ring.jpg

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
What do you think of this? I don't know who made it. I stole the picture from another board.

post tapered engagement ring.jpg

Yeah I like that, but it's hard to tell without knowing what size the stone is. I'm not sure if the band will look dainty next to a half carat no matter what.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I actually have a bunch of half carat photos I've saved from here and WB. I think the ones that look thinner from above are knife edge, which I don't like that much. So again I need to decide between "thin from the top" vs "no knife edge", can't have both.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
It may be a good idea to start with a different setting. You could offer to pay for the sizing on the ring since she already sized it...but you made a mistake..you’re sorry..I’m sure she could find you a thinner setting. The taper may be a problem because a taper on a thinner shank could make the ring less structurally sound. She probably has access to other designs. I’ve certainly made my share of mistakes and I’m sure others would agree they did too...It happens..Don’t beat yourself up over it..She sounds really open to helping you find one that you love.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I really don't like the knife edge. I'm worried about it being uncomfortable, but I also don't like how high it looks from the side.

I'm wondering if I should still get this one, and either ask this jeweler to shave it down to be a little thinner, or take it as is and wear it for a while and then if it's still bothering me, then go back and ask for it to be shaved down.

How hard is that and how much does it generally cost? I saw someone on a WB thread shaved her own band down. I would never do that but it makes me think it must not be that crazy!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
You shouldn’t have to shave down a ring you didn’t even purchase yet. I would start from scratch and have the jeweler find you some thinner bands. If you have it shaved it may look wonky and you don’t want that..

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
You shouldn’t have to shave down a ring you didn’t even purchase yet. I would start from scratch and have the jeweler find you some thinner bands. If you have it shaved it may look wonky and you don’t want that..

I think you're right, I'm just so done with this. I don't want to keep looking at settings and I feel like I'm being a pain to my jeweler. I showed it to my boyfriend, explained what I don't like, and he said "it looks like a ring." Like he can't even see what I'm talking about. So many women don't pick out their own engagement rings, and if he gave me this one exactly as is I would love it. I wouldn't even think twice. But since I've been the one researching and deciding on everything, it feels crazy to not make it PERFECT now that I'm at the end.

Can't do anything now, just need to sleep on it I guess. I'll call her in the morning and see if she can find me more settings or if she thinks I should just go with this one. I'm back to feeling exhausted and overwhelmed. Wish it was easier to get exactly the setting you want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results