shape
carat
color
clarity

Photos of Lightbox Jewelry

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If there is anyone here that bought the white princess pendant..Please post photos..:pray: I want to eventually buy two to make into studs..

I ordered one when it briefly came back in stock. Definitely will share photos when it arrives. =)2

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Just got back from the jeweler. She tested my LB stone with the diamond tester and it came up as moissanite. But then she tested an actual diamond she had and that one came up as moissanite too. A third diamond came up as diamond. She turned it off and back on again, and the LB tested as diamond. Relieved, but also not trusting that tester at all since it was wrong so many times on the actual diamond.

This jeweler is not a gemologist so she didn't really know the difference between lab and natural diamonds. She thought lab diamonds were moissanite. I tried to explain to her that it's pure carbon just grown in a lab and she didn't totally believe me but was excited to learn more. Honestly just seemed like a real mom and pop type store run by a woman who loves jewelry. There were a couple younger girls there who knew more about lab diamonds and said that sometimes they don't test as diamonds because they're pressure or heat grown or something? Anyway, I'd like to hear what other people come up with.

I'm going to post the rest of my experience over in my other thread so I'm not clogging up this thread with my own stuff. If anyone is interested it's this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/exhausted-and-overwhelmed.242927/

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@frogplus I am so surprised when I go to a jewelry store and I know more than them..and that’s not saying I know a lot either. It’s a little scary to tell you the truth. I’m not sure I would be comfortable with a jeweler that has a tester like that and it didn’t even work. If you go with them I would invest in a loupe that you can identify the Lightbox logo in your diamond so you know you’re getting the same one back and not a moissanite. It will be interesting to see if others can find the logo when they get theirs.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@Mamabean I didn't even think of that but you're right, I do need to make sure it doesn't get switched out with a moissanite. And yes I feel the same way about knowing more than the jeweler! How do I know more about it than you do and this is your entire business?? Sometimes I feel like they are just playing dumb so that I feel dumb. Like I start saying something about lab-grown diamonds they say oh you mean moissanite? So that I'll think they are the same thing and think that what I read was wrong, and that these are actually moissanite. I was able to stand my ground and say no, it's not moissanite, that's a completely different chemical make-up, but I could definitely see someone less confident just believing whatever the jeweler says and then being convinced that they need to buy a diamond from them instead.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Where is the LB logo? If I look at it under the loupe is it just on the top? Has anyone else been able to find it?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Where is the LB logo? If I look at it under the loupe is it just on the top? Has anyone else been able to find it?
I heard it’s under the table..the flat top of the diamond..but someone said they couldn’t see it under the loupe. You may need a much stronger magnification. Hopefully someone knows and will comment.
I just went to the website and saw where they talked about inscribing the logo with a laser. It actually shows it being done. It’s under the table. If it doesn’t show at 10x magnification you would need a stronger one. You could email them and ask them at what magnification the logo can be seen.

Last edited:

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@Mamabean I called the number for Lightbox, they answered right away, but the guy on the phone didn't know what magnification was needed to see the logo. He said he would have to look into it and get back to me. I'll update when I find out. This would definitely be something I need to be able to do, for the setting but also for any cleanings/dippings/resizings that I would need to leave the ring and pick it up later. What do other people do when they leave their rings for things like that? With a regular diamond that doesn't have an inscription? How do you verify that it's the same one you dropped off?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
My ering and larger studs have their GIA inscription on the girdles..but my smaller studs don’t. One of the jewelers I use to go to would take a pic of the diamond under a machine that looked like a microscope..When I would pick them up they would have me look at my diamonds under this thing whatever it was. You also get to know where your inclusions are under a loupe. My smaller studs have plenty and I can see them under the loupe..My larger studs and ering don’t have inclusions I can see because they’re hidden under prongs..but I do verify the number on the girdle. When Lightbox gets back to you then you can buy that size loupe and can always bring it with you when you pick it up.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@Mamabean Thanks! Once I find out what magnification is needed, I might just make sure this jeweler has one that I can use and just use that every time I pick up. Hopefully they won't take offense if I ask to do that, as if I don't trust them. Is it standard to always check?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
They may take offense for you to buy them one..but if they’re offended that you’re checking your stone after repair that’s something they should get over. There’s a case in the news about a mall jewelry store that swapped out a stone. The stone was “found” after they were accused. I never let anyone take my ring to be cleaned unless it’s my jeweler.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@Mamabean Oh no I wouldn't buy them one, I meant if they already had one I would just use that instead of buying my own. Otherwise if they don't have one, I would buy one for myself and bring it with me whenever I pick it up. I just wasn't sure if that's a rude thing to do.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean Oh no I wouldn't buy them one, I meant if they already had one I would just use that instead of buying my own. Otherwise if they don't have one, I would buy one for myself and bring it with me whenever I pick it up. I just wasn't sure if that's a rude thing to do.
Then that would be easy..You can just say you would like to see your stone under the loupe..asking in a way like you’re just curious..

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Just got back from the jeweler. She tested my LB stone with the diamond tester and it came up as moissanite. But then she tested an actual diamond she had and that one came up as moissanite too. A third diamond came up as diamond. She turned it off and back on again, and the LB tested as diamond. Relieved, but also not trusting that tester at all since it was wrong so many times on the actual diamond.

This jeweler is not a gemologist so she didn't really know the difference between lab and natural diamonds. She thought lab diamonds were moissanite. I tried to explain to her that it's pure carbon just grown in a lab and she didn't totally believe me but was excited to learn more. Honestly just seemed like a real mom and pop type store run by a woman who loves jewelry. There were a couple younger girls there who knew more about lab diamonds and said that sometimes they don't test as diamonds because they're pressure or heat grown or something? Anyway, I'd like to hear what other people come up with.

I'm going to post the rest of my experience over in my other thread so I'm not clogging up this thread with my own stuff. If anyone is interested it's this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/exhausted-and-overwhelmed.242927/

Uh yeah, I would not choose this jeweler if she doesn’t know how to use the diamond tester and especially if she doesn’t have a loupe that can see the inscription. Are you able to buy the setting from her and get it set yourself? Maybe you can get a discount for cash and carry?

Didn’t you say you live in the Philly area? I remember other PS-ers saying there are a lot of affordable bench jewelers along Jeweler’s Row, or what it’s called, where the bench will set the stone for you while you wait. I am so jealous of this as we have nothing like this.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Uh yeah, I would not choose this jeweler if she doesn’t know how to use the diamond tester and especially if she doesn’t have a loupe that can see the inscription. Are you able to buy the setting from her and get it set yourself? Maybe you can get a discount for cash and carry?

Didn’t you say you live in the Philly area? I remember other PS-ers saying there are a lot of affordable bench jewelers along Jeweler’s Row, or what it’s called, where the bench will set the stone for you while you wait. I am so jealous of this as we have nothing like this.

Yep I'm in Philly. My experience on jeweler's row has been very annoying. I've visited random jewelers, well known jewelers, highly reviewed jewelers, and they all seem like they don't have the time for me, dismissive about lab diamonds or small diamonds or not perfect clarity/cut. Maybe it will be different if I come in with the stone and say I'm only looking for a setting. It might just be that I'm turned off by the diamond shopping experience but if I focus only on settings it'll be better. I would love some recommendations of affordable bench jewelers if you know where I can find them!

Side note, this jeweler didn't NOT know how to use the tester, it just seemed like a shitty tester I guess? And I have no idea if she had a loupe powerful enough to see the inscription, I didn't ask to look at my LB diamond while I was there. She had a regular loupe though, idk what magnification it was but it's the one that every jeweler I've been to has used.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Yep I'm in Philly. My experience on jeweler's row has been very annoying. I've visited random jewelers, well known jewelers, highly reviewed jewelers, and they all seem like they don't have the time for me, dismissive about lab diamonds or small diamonds or not perfect clarity/cut. Maybe it will be different if I come in with the stone and say I'm only looking for a setting. It might just be that I'm turned off by the diamond shopping experience but if I focus only on settings it'll be better. I would love some recommendations of affordable bench jewelers if you know where I can find them!

Side note, this jeweler didn't NOT know how to use the tester, it just seemed like a shitty tester I guess? And I have no idea if she had a loupe powerful enough to see the inscription, I didn't ask to look at my LB diamond while I was there. She had a regular loupe though, idk what magnification it was but it's the one that every jeweler I've been to has used.

Paging @MakingTheGrade, I believe she uses a Philly bench, if I’m not wrong, if she doesn’t see this, try emailing her via LT.

I see, the Jeweler’s Row was what contributed to your exhaustion and fatigue. Of course, you would not want to revisit that. And your current local jeweler sounds very warm and helpful. In any case, you want a simple solitaire setting, which I think should pose no problem to any jeweler. And if she can give you a discount for buying a little old cut diamond (the ones with open cutlets will be old) for your mum, all the better!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure. The jeweler I use is Jen Green. She has a small bench studio on jewelers row that can be easily missed lol.
http://jen-green.com/

I’ve never had her do delicate pave work or halos as I think other benches do that better. But she’s been great for Cad settings and bezels and things. She is very down to earth and will set whatever, I usually take her colored stones in addition to diamonds and she’s never been rude of condescending. She also can order you stock Stuller settings and I’ve found her prices pretty reasonable.

She made my 5 stone setting which I adore and my diamond pendant. Both CAD. She also set my Colombian emerald in a hand forged half bezel which definitely looks more rustic.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@MakingTheGrade Thank you! She sounds like a good fit for me so I will definitely check her out. This might be a dumb question but how does it work exactly? If she has a setting I like, I could bring in my stone, pick the setting and she would set it right there in front of me and I'd walk out with it finished that day? I've never heard of bench jewelers so I'm just not sure how it works.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MakingTheGrade Thank you! She sounds like a good fit for me so I will definitely check her out. This might be a dumb question but how does it work exactly? If she has a setting I like, I could bring in my stone, pick the setting and she would set it right there in front of me and I'd walk out with it finished that day? I've never heard of bench jewelers so I'm just not sure how it works.

No worrries! So she’s sort of different since she’s not a store. So she doesn’t have settings you can choose from on hand. When you go to her bench it literally looks like an art metal working studio. No office, no store front, no frills. Usually when I knock she’s sitting at the bench soldering or polishing and she takes a break to chat with me about the project I want to do. I usually email her in advance to make sure I know when she will be in. I take her my stones and then leave and pick them up when it’s ready.

She has catalogs where you can view stuller settings if you want to order through her. Or if you want to buy a setting elsewhere and just have her set it, Ive done that too. Since she’s a one person business I don’t usually insist she set my things right then and there. But if that’s important to you you could email her and ask if you can schedule a time block so you can watch her set it.

There are places on the row that will do immediate settings but in my experience the quality has never been as good. Once I had someone scratch the prong and it was lopsided. Ugh.
These days I just drop off with Jen and go pick up. With my 5 stone diamond ring I had her set the stones so the serial numbers were visible for easy identification. She wasn’t at all offended that I’d want to check them. Lol.

Just FYI since she’s a solo person, her emails tend to be short and concise. Some people might need more tlc for their customer service but I personally don’t mind that I sometimes get replies that are just “sure” when I ask if she can do a certain project lol.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@MakingTheGrade Wow thank you, this is so helpful! Especially the tip about her emails being short. I definitely would have thought she was being dismissive if you hadn't explained that! My one concern is that I really need to see a bunch of different options for the setting before I decide, so if she doesn't have any in stock to look at, can I just tell her what I'm looking for and ask her to get several options for me to look at in person before I decide?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly I don’t think she works like that. I don’t know for sure though as I’ve never asked or ordered stock settings other than bezel components.

If you want though I’m happy to come to jewelers row with you to do some setting shopping in the big stores sometime. It’s probably more fun and less frustrating if you go with someone so you’re not just being ganged up on by the sales people.

You can reach me via Loupetroop, though I won’t be able to respond for another day or two since I’m in China right now. No gmail.

https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin.../van-craeynest-1ct-oec-size-4-platinum-and-yg

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
@MakingTheGrade That is such an amazing offer, thank you! I might take you up on that. I think I'm going to wait to see what my local jeweler comes up with first, just because I don't want to confuse myself with too many options.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha please. I love excuses to go look at sparkly things and I’m so curious to see a lab diamond! I’ll probably have to go down there soon anyway to pick up a bangle that Jen is making me

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a 30x loupe from amazon and can see the AGS inscription on my .65ct each earrings. Small, but definitely there

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the excellent pics and videos so far :))

As noted above, they perform better than expected!

Looks like they have quite a high crown/smallish table combo, which should make for decent performance in terms of fire :)

Is it 'eye clean' or in any way included??

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the excellent pics and videos so far :))

As noted above, they perform better than expected!

Looks like they have quite a high crown/smallish table combo, which should make for decent performance in terms of fire :)

Is it 'eye clean' or in any way included??

I haven't looked under a loupe yet. I don't have one and I forgot when I was at the jeweler this weekend. But under the naked eye I can't see anything.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

This is why I hate those moissanite testers. It's quite easy to spot moissanite with a loupe and these beepers give false positives and false negatives quite regularly. Used properly they do ok, but the same people who can't use a loupe properly, can't use one of these either. This failing is about the tool and the operator, not about your stone.

DoeEyes

Brilliant_Rock
This is why I hate those moissanite testers. It's quite easy to spot moissanite with a loupe and these beepers give false positives and false negatives quite regularly. Used properly they do ok, but the same people who can't use a loupe properly, can't use one of these either. This failing is about the tool and the operator, not about your stone.

That's good to know! I would be extremely shocked if lightbox had released moissanite instead of actual lab diamonds but I did have a little panic when it first tested moissanite. After she tested her own diamond and it also came up as moissanite I felt better. And the LB did test as diamond after she reset the tester.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results