shape
carat
color
clarity

Phosphorescence in Diamonds-Study, and a request for sharing information

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't even have thought of shining the LW on it again, except that I had seen blue phos. on one of my previous tries (mentioned above I believe), and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing it this time. Now, when I get batteries, I'm going to try 2 things - using the SW first and the the LW, and using the LW first and then the SW. And of course just using the two waves separately.

The plug in SW you found.....is it one of those for gel nails or something?

I am trying different combinations here too..I want to be able to reproduce that pruple phosphorescence dependably. That SW lamp I got that plugs in is on Ebay, it is for minerals although it doesn't mention that, I have the link here;
They are pretty cheap, $30..but they only have SW, no LW in this lamp.
I got it because I usually use the SW only to charge the diamond...because that is the way to get the 10 hours of glow time..;)2

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the link! I was wondering how you lit your diamond for an hour, lol.

To complicate things even more, I don't remember what the longwave numbers were for the UV light we both have, but I think it was somewhere around 365 NM or 375NM. So last night I used my little flashlight type of LW - supposed to be 400 NM, (but who knows, really?) and the chameleon showed phos., so did the J. My WX also showed faint phos, which it hadn't before, and the yellow showed nothing. The one that really had strong phos this time was the green yellow. Brighter than the other times I've seen it, with a yellow phos. where the J and WX show blue. And of course my intense green yellow shows nothing. The one I'd really love to have phos., lol.

Its so confusing.

Last edited:

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the link! I was wondering how you lit your diamond for an hour, lol.

To complicate things even more, I don't remember what the longwave numbers were for the UV light we both have, but I think it was somewhere around 365 NM or 375NM. So last night I used my little flashlight type of LW - supposed to be 400 NM, (but who knows, really?) and the chameleon showed phos., so did the J. My WX also showed faint phos, which it hadn't before, and the yellow showed nothing. The one that really had strong phos this time was the green yellow. Brighter than the other times I've seen it, with a yellow phos. where the J and WX show blue. And of course my intense green yellow shows nothing. The one I'd really love to have phos., lol.

Its so confusing.

You are very welcome:) I don't remember what the LW is either....but now I am curious and I have to get a lamp like your 400NM!! I am thinking that all of these different combinations will provide reactions we need to see! :geek2: Am I understanding correctly that you actually get some phosphorescence in some instances when you use the LW only? no SW at all?
This is very very interesting, up until now I assumed that in order to produce phosphorescence you needed to use SW !! This is so CEWL!:appl:May I ask you where you got your 400NM light?

Oh man, Im on a mission now! LOL...

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
You are very welcome:) I don't remember what the LW is either....but now I am curious and I have to get a lamp like your 400NM!! I am thinking that all of these different combinations will provide reactions we need to see! :geek2: Am I understanding correctly that you actually get some phosphorescence in some instances when you use the LW only? no SW at all?
This is very very interesting, up until now I assumed that in order to produce phosphorescence you needed to use SW !! This is so CEWL!:appl:May I ask you where you got your 400NM light?

I think I did find the one we have and it said 375 Nm. I'm off to the store now, but when I get back I'll give you the link for the 400 NM. It was very cheap, and I'm not sure how much we trust the NM on any of them, lol. But yes, the fluor. was just the LW. I didn't get that from the other lamp, but maybe its because the batteries were so low?

Demon

Brilliant_Rock

Says 395 - 400

And its very odd that they seemed to glow brighter and longer because I've used that light, mostly. Maybe I 'excited' them longer? I have no clue.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock

Says 395 - 400

And its very odd that they seemed to glow brighter and longer because I've used that light, mostly. Maybe I 'excited' them longer? I have no clue.

Thank you for the link! I am checking it out right now:) I had a look at some of them yesterday when you mentioned the higher nm...it seems there are many different claims as to the nm available...I think Ill pick one up so I can see if this makes my diamonds do some different tricks...lol
This is getting very interesting! I will be sure to report back :geek2: :read:

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Dear all.. Need your expert advice in this post please.

I wish I could help with the color thing..It is very different..I have not seen this color yet with reaction to SW or LW UV, but I do have some other gems that show this type of color...please let us know what you find out!!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
This so sooooo bright!!

What a fantastic photo! Thank you so much for posting. I think I may need to purchase a better camera to capture the phosphorescence I get..

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
You inspired me to get a UV light. Here’s are the er and band in my profile pic. I never knew that one of my tapered baguettes has fluoro!
C8ABC58C-801B-4DCA-8854-712A32366F22.jpeg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
You inspired me to get a UV light. Here’s are the er and band in my profile pic. I never knew that one of my tapered baguettes has fluoro!
C8ABC58C-801B-4DCA-8854-712A32366F22.jpeg

Oh Cewl Photo!!! I thought this project to find out about Fl and PH in diamonds had fizzled so I hadn't checked back in a bit...Your ring is Gorgeous! Does that baguette happen to phosphoresce?
Thank you so much for sharing the pic...I really have to try to get some more too...I haven't checked my diamonds that are surround stones either....time for more fun!:appl:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Oh Cewl Photo!!! I thought this project to find out about Fl and PH in diamonds had fizzled so I hadn't checked back in a bit...Your ring is Gorgeous! Does that baguette happen to phosphoresce?
Thank you so much for sharing the pic...I really have to try to get some more too...I haven't checked my diamonds that are surround stones either....time for more fun!:appl:

Nope-no afterglow ;-)

fel

Shiny_Rock
I know this is an old thread, but just want to say I have a phosphorescent light yellow (GIA U-V) OEC. It glows for about 10 seconds after lights out, but then again I don't have a SW lamp -- I hope to purchase one to check it out . The 10 seconds is with a LW lamp. Sometimes in bright sunlight the diamond looks chartreuse green -- I think that may be the phosphorescence interacting with the light yellow color. Anyway it is a very imperfect diamond (an inclusion-- some other mineral-- right in the very center) but I do enjoy it. When I bought it I thought it was a chameleon owing to the color change but GIA said no to that.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I know this is an old thread, but just want to say I have a phosphorescent light yellow (GIA U-V) OEC. It glows for about 10 seconds after lights out, but then again I don't have a SW lamp -- I hope to purchase one to check it out . The 10 seconds is with a LW lamp. Sometimes in bright sunlight the diamond looks chartreuse green -- I think that may be the phosphorescence interacting with the light yellow color. Anyway it is a very imperfect diamond (an inclusion-- some other mineral-- right in the very center) but I do enjoy it. When I bought it I thought it was a chameleon owing to the color change but GIA said no to that.

Hi fel!
Great to read from you! That diamond sounds very interesting..would be able to share some pictures? It would be very cool to see how it reacts in different wavelengths of light for sure!

fel

Shiny_Rock
Hi -- the issue is I still don't have a short wave flashlight -- I just have a blacklight. Here's what it looks like with normal light, in its original setting and unset. Now it is set in a bezel. yellow-dia-original-setting-light.JPG yellow diamond hand.jpg yellow-dia-original setting-dark.jpg

fel

Shiny_Rock
Long wave UV (blacklight) and then the 2nd picture is darkness/phosphorescence. In these pictures the fluorescence seems white and the phosphoresce seems yellow (white in middle, yellow on sides) fleuro.jpg phos.jpg

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, glad this thread got bumped, since I missed it the first time around! This is why fluorescent diamonds are the best. :D my e-ring has SBF and orange phosphorescence, though I've never had the patience to "charge" it for more than a minute or two so I've only ever thought of it as a quite short-lived phenomenon. It's exciting to learn there could be more to it! 20211115_222527-COLLAGE.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I am soooooo excited to see your pictures fel and evergreen!

fel, your diamond looks so bright when it fluoresces, just stunning...:kiss2:

evergreen, thank you for the pics, your beauty seems to be particularly bright when phosphorescing....could I bug you to see if you can charge her for longer? :geek2:

I am trying to get some new pictures of my night light ...we need some more to stare at right?

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I just created a gif (first timer) for my avatar...LOL its all the many moods of my fancy white IRL, LW, SW and sunlight reactions..:think:.ok, fun but messing with my eyes..don't know how long I can put up with that..LOL...if you all think it's too busy to look at, Ill take it down...:shifty:
Too much? 20211125_160530.gif

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I just came across a very neat gif of the hope diamond phosphorescing! Very cool..here it is.. 2020-0709-01-hope03.gif

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
They also had this gif of the Hope... 2020-0709-01-hope04.gif

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Hahaha.
I just showed a client a 4.25ct strong blue F under our diamond tree. It doesn't phosphoresce but along side his G non the F looked like a A or a B or a C or at least a +D+

Hi Gerry!
Should we call that fun with the phenomenal? :dance:
lol..

fel

Shiny_Rock
So I listed this under rockytalk, this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/which-avc.272415/

But here I bought a L cushion diamond, listed as negligible fluorescence by AGS, and it turns out to have blue-green fluorescence and orange-yellow phosphorescence. What are the odds?

Pictures in the other thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results