shape
carat
color
clarity

Which AVC?

fel

Shiny_Rock
Which AVC would you choose based on ASET, and why? The first one is 1.5, L and the second is ~1.6, L. The first has a very tiny table, 45%. The second has a table of 48% For this reason, there is a size difference between the two.

AVC-1.5-L.jpg AVC-1.6L.jpg

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you can go wrong with an AVC. They are cut for great optics. Which do you prefer when you look at the videos? I'm not an expert, but I think those aset images are computer generated. They can be pretty accurate, and look similar to my untrained eye, but I would want to see the real thing. Are the clarity grades and price similar? You could always contact Jonathan for more info.

fel

Shiny_Rock
One is slightly bigger, and also more expensive with slightly lower crown, significantly more spread. The smaller one is VS1 but all the inclusions are centered in one area, so some concern they may be visible. The first one (smaller one) has medium fluorescence, and I see that as a plus. I may slightly prefer the pattern on the smaller one.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a VS1 should be eye clean. If you like fluorescence, a taller crown, and the pattern, that may be the one you will prefer. More images would be helpful if you want other opinions. I know people in the trade can't comment on other vendors diamonds, but maybe they can give their opinions about the aset images.

Last edited:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Not an expert on asets but based on the green plus the photos it looks like the second one has more contrast in the middle.

oliverave

Rough_Rock
They're both beautiful, but I love the 1.62 ct just looks more appealing to me. It seems like it has longer facets in the middle. I don't really understand ASETs but that one is my favorite aesthetically.

fel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your input -- love you guys -- so generous of you to give opinions when it is probably the same "same old" every time.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
The 1.5 seems more square and the other rectangle with a slightly larger culet ( which I love). Which shape do you prefer? In my eyes they are both beautiful so I would go with the larger one!! Do you know how you are going to set it?

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the 1.62 as well, but both are lovely.

fel

Shiny_Rock
Do you know how you are going to set it?

Well I was thinking a tension ring when I was going to have a round brilliant (long story, on another thread.) Now... I am thinking a sort of floating bezel -- kind of like a combination of a bezel and a tension. Maybe like this without the bottom ring: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e0/cb/e6/e0cbe6fe86dbf867db59ef652180646c.jpg

Does anyone know if that is even possible? I really can't do prongs owing to lifestyle issues so I only wear bezels or gypsy set rings on a regular basis. I love bezels, but I also want lots of light and easy to clean.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Well I was thinking a tension ring when I was going to have a round brilliant (long story, on another thread.) Now... I am thinking a sort of floating bezel -- kind of like a combination of a bezel and a tension. Maybe like this without the bottom ring: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e0/cb/e6/e0cbe6fe86dbf867db59ef652180646c.jpg

Does anyone know if that is even possible? I really can't do prongs owing to lifestyle issues so I only wear bezels or gypsy set rings on a regular basis. I love bezels, but I also want lots of light and easy to clean.

That is gorgeous, is that a James Meyer? Have you looked at Sholdt's semi bezel rings? I think they are divine!!
https://www.sholdtdesign.com/bezel/ ❤❤

fel

Shiny_Rock
That one was James Meyer but he absolutely won't set other people's stones. Yes, I tried begging. Also Caleb Meyer, his son, won't set outside sourced gems. Really a shame as they would be my "goto" people.

I am not really a Sholdt person... I really enjoy designing my own jewelry in collaboration with a quality bench. Someday when/if I have time I will take up goldsmithing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have chosen the larger one, so I hope you love it!

Just a note, the table size is not what makes one larger than the other. You look at the outer measurements to determine size.

fel

Shiny_Rock
Just a note, the table size is not what makes one larger than the other. You look at the outer measurements to determine size.

Yes I realize that. But for a smaller weight difference, there is a much larger size difference than would be expected, because the smaller one has more depth. So the smaller one is quite tiny face up for a 1.5 AVC. Perhaps I phrased that poorly above.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looooove the 1.62!

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve had my eye on that 1.62 for nearly 3 years! But unfortunately it wasn’t meant for me. Can I call dibs?! I am certain you’ll love it! Can’t wait to see what you do with it!

fel

Shiny_Rock
I have kind of wondered why that 1.62 has sat so long? Do you think there is something off about it? Or are L's just slow to go out the door?

fel

Shiny_Rock
Got it. I am thinking it is a keeper but will look at it across the day to make sure. The funny thing is it does have some decent flouro and a touch of phosphorescence despite the AGS report saying it is "negligible" For color, I would also say it runs more champagne than yellow when inside -- outside you really don't see any color except in shade, and then it is a light yellow.

I have it with some of my OECs -- a fluorescent .7 OEC, perhaps J or K color, and a GIA U-V very fluoro 1carat. It shows up as a lot bigger than anything else I have. AVC1.jpg
avc3.jpg
AVC2.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That AVC was a strong contender back when I bought my 1.59 O colored AVC from him. I have to say, it looks amazing in your pics...and it looks huge on you. :kiss2:

fel

Shiny_Rock
That AVC was a strong contender back when I bought my 1.59 O colored AVC from him. I have to say, it looks amazing in your pics...and it looks huge on you. :kiss2:

Well I absolutely love what you did with your O. I bet you get complements all day long on that ring.

I would do the same sort thing -- emerald surround -- except for lifestyle issues. I need a ring that will be OK with my opening up the chicken coop and collecting eggs multiple times a day. No, not a farmer wearing diamonds, but a I bit of a homesteader.

cardinalsfan

Rough_Rock
It's beautiful! I love the way it looks with your trinity band also.

fel

Shiny_Rock
1.62 AVC next to U-V light yellow diamond with strong white fluor/GIA

fluor1.jpg

AVC 1.62 next 1.2 super- fluor2.jpg ideal no fluor (both GIA & AGS)

Am I right that the AVC has some fluor going on?

Also when I turn off the UV light the AVC stays a dim orange for about 3 seconds.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's hard for me to tell from that angle and with the other diamond next to it. Try shining the light on the AVC alone and take a face up shot. We have seen rounds graded by AGS graded none or faint and they definitely had a little more than that. I find that so strange because none should mean none! But I actually like fluorescence so I consider it a bonus! Same with phosphorescence!

The stone looks beautiful, too!

fel

Shiny_Rock
OK both the AVC and the superideal RBC (no fluor) in a glass-top box. First 2 pictures with UV light. 3rd picture if after I turn off light. You do get some reflection off the glass if things look a bit odd. I actually think the AVC has greenish fluor and orangey phosphor. lighttest1.jpg lighttest2.jpg

lighttest3.jpg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results