shape
carat
color
clarity

Phosphorescence in Diamonds-Study, and a request for sharing information

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Sithathoriunt. You should never assume diamond sellers know or care about diamonds.
Sadly. (does that mean South of the Orient?

Unrelated, but I was given a crazy UV lamp yesterday.
It is perfect for making blue fluorescence:
1612908189755.png

I think I just had my bubble burst...:(sad can I still hope that the sellers at least care about the money they could make if they knew more about the diamonds they were selling ? Maybe wishful thinking...
Anyways, I believe that 254 nm is the same as the lamp I use...Ill check...
I have such an appreciation for gem phenomena, sharing the knowledge and learning with everyone is amazing!:geek2:

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I saw this lovely fancy white, it is sold, but even if it wasn't it was wayyyyyy above my price range...eye candy... sylva-cie-jewelryfine-jewelring-6-5-ylwgold-fancy-white-pear-shape-diamond-ring-19470632026264...jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I just had my bubble burst...:(sad can I still hope that the sellers at least care about the money they could make if they knew more about the diamonds they were selling ? Maybe wishful thinking...
Anyways, I believe that 254 nm is the same as the lamp I use...Ill check...
I have such an appreciation for gem phenomena, sharing the knowledge and learning with everyone is amazing!:geek2:

The joke there is that Grant bought this lamp as a very short wave lamp, but it turned out to be longer than gemologists long wave. He knows I study blue fluorescence in diamonds and that this lamp totally covers the spectrum that produces the common blue fluorescence.
I have lots of experimenting to do with it!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
The joke there is that Grant bought this lamp as a very short wave lamp, but it turned out to be longer than gemologists long wave. He knows I study blue fluorescence in diamonds and that this lamp totally covers the spectrum that produces the common blue fluorescence.
I have lots of experimenting to do with it!

:appl:Can we ask for some pictures? What length of sw do gemologists normally use? Im thinking I will need to purchase a new lamp! The study continues!!:geek2:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
This article is fantastic! I read it twice..lol I had to, there was so much information. Thank you!

Ok, much of this sciency stuff is over my head, lol. But I do have a question for you - I have the same UV light you have, and I haven't messed with the SW much at all. Is it normal that it appears less bright than the LW?

I was looking at several diamonds the other night, and after using the short wave, the chameleon glowed, and the fancy green yellow, but it also seemed the the fancy yellow, and a J colored diamond glowed too. The room wasn't as dark as I would have liked - bathroom, but a skylight... - so I need to try it again on a darker night.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, much of this sciency stuff is over my head, lol. But I do have a question for you - I have the same UV light you have, and I haven't messed with the SW much at all. Is it normal that it appears less bright than the LW?

I was looking at several diamonds the other night, and after using the short wave, the chameleon glowed, and the fancy green yellow, but it also seemed the the fancy yellow, and a J colored diamond glowed too. The room wasn't as dark as I would have liked - bathroom, but a skylight... - so I need to try it again on a darker night.

One of the tests for synthetic diamond is that the SW glows stronger than the long wave.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
One of the tests for synthetic diamond is that the SW glows stronger than the long wave.

Thanks, but I have GIA reports on the chameleon and the fancy yellow green. And the fancy yellow is from DBL, though no report. The J could be synthetic, I suppose, though I've had it for a long time.

But I stated it badly - I meant the phosphorescence after I turned the UV light off. (The fluorescence was much strong with the longwave.)

I am interested now, though......can a chameleon diamond be lab grown?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks, but I have GIA reports on the chameleon and the fancy yellow green. And the fancy yellow is from DBL, though no report. The J could be synthetic, I suppose, though I've had it for a long time.

But I stated it badly - I meant the phosphorescence after I turned the UV light off. (The fluorescence was much strong with the longwave.)

I am interested now, though......can a chameleon diamond be lab grown?

Hi Demon, I was not suggesting your stones are not real - just a tip on how we use Fluoro in detection :)

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Demon, I was not suggesting your stones are not real - just a tip on how we use Fluoro in detection :)

No problem. :) I know I phrased my question badly.

But my question remains.....can they produce a chameleon in a lab?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
No problem. :) I know I phrased my question badly.

But my question remains.....can they produce a chameleon in a lab?

Hmmm, I think it may be possible, but I doubt there would be sufficient demand to make it feasible economically.
So I doubt your rarity factor is under threat.
:)

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Hmmm, I think it may be possible, but I doubt there would be sufficient demand to make it feasible economically.
So I doubt your rarity factor is under threat.
:)

Lol, not worried about that. Just got curious after your post.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Demon:) Yes, it is normal, at least with the 3 of these SW UV lamps that I have.. all of them are the same, the long wave bulb is way brighter than the sw bulb:)

That is so cewl that you found glowers in your diamonds!!! Do you think maybe you may be able to get pictures of the phosphorescing?

I would love to see them! What color do they phosphoresce? Is it different than the color they show when they fluoresce?
Sorry, too many questions..lol :geek2: :appl:

Last edited:

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock

This is an interesting point! :read:Next time I get to diamond shop, Im bringing the uv lamp..lol

Last edited:

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Demon:) Yes, it is normal, at least with the 3 of these SW UV lamps that I have.. all of them are the same, the long wave bulb is way brighter than the sw bulb:)

That is so cewl that you found glowers in your diamonds!!! Do you think maybe you may be able to get pictures of the phosphorescing?

I would love to see them! What color do they phosphoresce? Is it different than the color they show when they fluoresce?
Sorry, too many questions..lol :geek2: :appl:

Thanks. I'd mostly been using a little flashlight type longwave, and hadn't used the other light much at all, and the shortwave even less. I wasn't sure if the bulb was bad or if it was normal.

It seemed like the others were glowing blue, and the chameleon and green yellow were glowing more of an orangish, but it was just a quick look, as I was disappointed that the room wasn't so dark. I haven't been able to get a picture, but I'm going to wait for a darker night, or maybe try a box or something. I will certainly let you know what I find when I do that, and post a picture if I'm able to capture it.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. I'd mostly been using a little flashlight type longwave, and hadn't used the other light much at all, and the shortwave even less. I wasn't sure if the bulb was bad or if it was normal.

It seemed like the others were glowing blue, and the chameleon and green yellow were glowing more of an orangish, but it was just a quick look, as I was disappointed that the room wasn't so dark. I haven't been able to get a picture, but I'm going to wait for a darker night, or maybe try a box or something. I will certainly let you know what I find when I do that, and post a picture if I'm able to capture it.

:appl:Oh yes!I hope you can get pictures..It will be amazing to see what they can do! Magic gems!
I use an old stereo cabinet as a dark box..lol, I "charge" the diamond for about an hour..then I wear it to bed because its so cool to have a natural night light...:razz:

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I have never seen this before! Here is what they call the "Hidden Heart" fluorescent diamond ring...Pretty neat! They actually purposely promote because of the cool use of specially chosen diamonds to make a heart appear in the ring...
So neat!!! :appl: Screenshot_20210214-112625_Gallery[1].jpg Screenshot_20210214-112557_Chrome[1].jpg Screenshot_20210214-112630_Gallery[1].jpg

I have no idea how much it would be in $, and I don't love that it's gold plated, but it is so cute!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I have no idea how much it would be in $, and I don't love that it's gold plated, but it is so cute!

I am anti-gold plate too ...lol...but the idea is a good one..we could do hidden messages, images..dates...stop me now!. :D

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I am anti-gold plate too ...lol...but the idea is a good one..we could do hidden messages, images..dates...stop me now!. :D

I'm actually kind of surprised it hasn't been done before. Or at least I've never seen it before.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I'm actually kind of surprised it hasn't been done before. Or at least I've never seen it before.

I know right? It actually reminded me of a toy we had as kids, the light bright..lol only for grown ups..;)2 am I the only one who remembers these things? Lol giant-lite-brite-1.png 81jl+SecRqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I have found this work to be very interesting for a long time, and it covers fluorescence in a multitude of gems;Fluorescence in Relation to Magnetism
I would love to see an addition with phosphorescence and diamonds...:)

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I have found this work to be very interesting for a long time, and it covers fluorescence in a multitude of gems;Fluorescence in Relation to Magnetism
I would love to see an addition with phosphorescence and diamonds...:)

Last night I was doing (or planning to, at least) some more checking. I first used the LW, SW, and only the chameleon and green yellow showed any phos. Then the SW, same thing. Then I waited a minute and used the LW, and those two as well as the yellow and J showed phos., which I found interesting. And then my light started flickering. So now I have to get more batteries and start again. :mad:

Last edited:

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
My son helped me this time (the science man). So I was quicker with taking pictures and we used a better UV light. 27B7E73A-A3BA-46CD-AC73-FC633EE62984.jpeg

Attachments

• 3D20AFA9-CF5C-457E-AFB0-64CF036970FA.jpeg
    3D20AFA9-CF5C-457E-AFB0-64CF036970FA.jpeg
    92.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 64654FEE-0033-480E-A805-3AFDBF6F4C7B.jpeg
    64654FEE-0033-480E-A805-3AFDBF6F4C7B.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 29

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Last night I was doing (or planning to, at least) some more checking. I first used the LW, SW, and only the chameleon and green yellow showed any phos. Then the SW, same thing. Then I waited a minute and used the LW, and those two as well as the yellow and J showed phos., which I found interesting. And then my light started flickering. So now I have to get more batteries and start again. :mad:

That's very interesting! So the order in which you use the LW and the SW seems to have an affect on the resulting phosphorescence or not? If I understood correctly...Please let us know what you find when you get more batteries....:bigsmile:
That can mean the phosphorescing I saw a long while ago with the fancy white makes sense, because when I first discovered the phosphorescence, it was during the day, I was trying the LW, and saw the blue fluorescence, then I switched to the SW and it still fluoresced but purple...and then when I turned off the light, still day time, it glowed purple for a little while, maybe five minutes.
But now, when I get it to phosphoresce for up to 10 hours, I only use the SW and I let it charge for an hour, then it phosphoresces a light blueish....not purple as it did when I used the LW first...I hadn't even thought of the use of both LW and SW in succession to get different reactions! HOW COOL!!! :appl: :geek2:I have to try a few other diamonds to see what happens and report back...

That battery thing...it frustrates me too...:roll: I actually went and bought another SW lamp, (it only does SW though) but it plugs in!!! So I use it most nights....I was just going through too many batteries..lol;)2

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
My son helped me this time (the science man). So I was quicker with taking pictures and we used a better UV light. 27B7E73A-A3BA-46CD-AC73-FC633EE62984.jpeg

Oh WOW!!! Roselina, those are amazing pictures! Your Diamond is SO So bright!! Was the first, really bright picture done using the LW? And the second less bright using the SW? and then the last picture is the phosphorescence? BEAUTIFUL!!!:kiss2:

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Oh WOW!!! Roselina, those are amazing pictures! Your Diamond is SO So bright!! Was the first, really bright picture done using the LW? And the second less bright using the SW? and then the last picture is the phosphorescence? BEAUTIFUL!!!:kiss2:

Yes, we did use different lights this time. My son came up with it but to be honest I‘m not sure if LW/SW. I‘ll try to investigate further. The stone shows very strong fluor whatever UV, but with the second one it was even stronger and the phosphorescence also brighter and longer (last picture).

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
That's very interesting! So the order in which you use the LW and the SW seems to have an affect on the resulting phosphorescence or not? If I understood correctly...Please let us know what you find when you get more batteries....:bigsmile:
That can mean the phosphorescing I saw a long while ago with the fancy white makes sense, because when I first discovered the phosphorescence, it was during the day, I was trying the LW, and saw the blue fluorescence, then I switched to the SW and it still fluoresced but purple...and then when I turned off the light, still day time, it glowed purple for a little while, maybe five minutes.
But now, when I get it to phosphoresce for up to 10 hours, I only use the SW and I let it charge for an hour, then it phosphoresces a light blueish....not purple as it did when I used the LW first...I hadn't even thought of the use of both LW and SW in succession to get different reactions! HOW COOL!!! :appl: :geek2:I have to try a few other diamonds to see what happens and report back...

That battery thing...it frustrates me too...:roll: I actually went and bought another SW lamp, (it only does SW though) but it plugs in!!! So I use it most nights....I was just going through too many batteries..lol;)2

I wouldn't even have thought of shining the LW on it again, except that I had seen blue phos. on one of my previous tries (mentioned above I believe), and I couldn't figure out why I wasn't seeing it this time. Now, when I get batteries, I'm going to try 2 things - using the SW first and the the LW, and using the LW first and then the SW. And of course just using the two waves separately.

The plug in SW you found.....is it one of those for gel nails or something?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results