shape
carat
color
clarity

Phosphorescence in Diamonds-Study, and a request for sharing information

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Hello to Everyone out there who may have or be interested in phosphorescence in diamonds!

I have seen several posts in the past about phosphorescing diamonds and I am hoping that if you happen to have a diamond that phosphoresces, you can share your experiences with your gem.

You see, I have a fancy white opalescent diamond, and after years of study, and comparison, it seems that it is difficult to find really detailed written material that shares the type, color and length of phosphorescence. There are a few older studies, but nothing expansive and recent. Although, the Hope Diamond is amazing at phosphorescing..

If I could start by sharing, this diamond is a 3 carat fancy white, pear cut. It fluoresces brightly blue under LW UV light and it phosphoresces purple (although all of the pictures I take show blue-ish) under SW UV. When the SW UV exposure is removed, this diamond continues to glow for a very long time, up to 10 hours! But to get it to stay lit for that length of time, it has to be kept in the dark. Once it is exposed to a light source, the glow fades in a few minutes.

While phosphorescing in the dark, it is bright enough to be able to light the face of a watch, or the hand wearing it.
It is natural, no treatment, and has been tested.
Also, examined by several gemologists, who think it is a very unique stone. I wonder how unique, are there others?

My hope is that we can find out if phosphorescing diamonds can stay lit for an extended period, and for how long that might be,
Please post and let everyone know how long your diamond will stay lit.

The setting was changed from double halo to single, but it is the same diamond..just a bit more my style.:)

This diamond has become my night light!

Thank you so much for sharing!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190724-213018_Gallery[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20190724-213018_Gallery[1].jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20190724-212924_Gallery[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20190724-212924_Gallery[1].jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20201005_161725[1].jpg
    20201005_161725[1].jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20200410-162038_Gallery[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20200410-162038_Gallery[1].jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20210130-173740_Gallery[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20210130-173740_Gallery[1].jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 24

silkystarlight

Rough_Rock
Your diamond is amazing!! I was never much a fan of diamonds... that is, until I found out that Fancy White Diamonds existed! I think they are just dreamy, especially when they have a strong blue fluorescence. :kiss2: But I never heard of diamonds phosphorescing... that really is incredible! Would love to see if anyone else has diamonds that glow like that!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Your diamond is amazing!! I was never much a fan of diamonds... that is, until I found out that Fancy White Diamonds existed! I think they are just dreamy, especially when they have a strong blue fluorescence. :kiss2: But I never heard of diamonds phosphorescing... that really is incredible! Would love to see if anyone else has diamonds that glow like that!

Thank you so much:)I tend to love the unusual and rare stuff, so when I saw this fancy white, it was something that really got to me...

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
That is awesome. Did you know about the effect before buying?

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
That is awesome. Did you know about the effect before buying?

Hi :D I had no idea...lol. I bought it just because it is a fancy white.
I was playing around with an LW/SW uv light with some other stones and I thought, let's see if this one does anything...it still took ages for me to realize that it both fluoresces and phosphoresces because I was always under a light source..
It was on night after lighting the diamond that all the lights were out and I noticed it kept glowing, I went to bed not thinking much of it...but tried it again the next night and wore it to bed...and every time I woke up, it looked for it and it was still lit! It was pretty exciting for me to see that..
So, it's a little night light!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a diamond that phosphoresces. It fluoresces blue and phosphoresces orange. It is a small stone (.46). The
phosphoresce only lasts maybe 10 seconds or so. Its hard to see as it fades because the stone is small and once you blink you
have to relocate the stone again in the dark. It is a cool attribute though!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I have a diamond that phosphoresces. It fluoresces blue and phosphoresces orange. It is a small stone (.46). The
phosphoresce only lasts maybe 10 seconds or so. Its hard to see as it fades because the stone is small and once you blink you
have to relocate the stone again in the dark. It is a cool attribute though!

Hi tyty333, thank you for sharing! That is so cool, that your diamond fluoresces blue and phosphoresces orange! Have you tried "lighting" it for longer? It is funny to think of it this way, but when I "light" the fancy white, if I leave it under the sw uv for longer,(about an hour now) it gives it more of a charge...for lack of better terminology, lol..I have a little dark charging box that keeps it in the dark while under the uv..
Do you have pictures? I would love to see the orange glow!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi tyty333, thank you for sharing! That is so cool, that your diamond fluoresces blue and phosphoresces orange! Have you tried "lighting" it for longer? It is funny to think of it this way, but when I "light" the fancy white, if I leave it under the sw uv for longer,(about an hour now) it gives it more of a charge...for lack of better terminology, lol..I have a little dark charging box that keeps it in the dark while under the uv..
Do you have pictures? I would love to see the orange glow!

I've only kept it lit for about 5 minutes at the longest. Maybe today I will give it an hour test. I have tried to take pictures of it before but
the stone is so small my camera doesnt do well with it. Maybe if it last longer with an hour test I can get some pictures.
Here is the stone in "regular" lighting. BGD .46 J/SI1 with Medium Blue fluorescence.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I've only kept it lit for about 5 minutes at the longest. Maybe today I will give it an hour test. I have tried to take pictures of it before but
the stone is so small my camera doesnt do well with it. Maybe if it last longer with an hour test I can get some pictures.
Here is the stone in "regular" lighting. BGD .46 J/SI1 with Medium Blue fluorescence.
Capture.PNG

That pendant is beautiful! Did you design it?
It will be so interesting to know if these special diamonds can all be "charged" for longer to glow longer! Thank you for sharing:) I had a really hard time getting pictures of the fancy white too..my phone camera just couldn't do it, but I have a friend who has a real camera and he was able to get the shots in the dark...
I am so excited to know what you find out about your diamond!:mrgreen2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I did not design it. Someone else on PS created the design (or had the vendor create the design) and I went to that vendor.
Now I cant remember who to give credit to on PS! I believe she sold her version because it wasnt really her style.

My stone is "charging" as we speak. :lol: I'll let you know what she does in an hour!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Screenshot_20210131-141721_Gallery[1].jpg Screenshot_20210131-141736_Gallery[1].jpg Screenshot_20210131-141747_Gallery[1].jpg
I managed to get a few shots just now, in daylight, of the diamond fluorescing bright blue, and kind of white, but that just happened because I moved the LW uv light a bit and the amount of light getting through the diamond changed..
The last image is just in normal daylight, so white...I can't capture (yet:)) the opalescent flashes of color, but it is close..
20210131_142419.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
No, I did not design it. Someone else on PS created the design (or had the vendor create the design) and I went to that vendor.
Now I cant remember who to give credit to on PS! I believe she sold her version because it wasnt really her style.

My stone is "charging" as we speak. :lol: I'll let you know what she does in an hour!

Well, it is beautiful! I love the details and the way it compliments the diamond:) And I need to say, Oh Boy Oh Boy Im getting excited to know what she does!!!:appl:

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Fascinating! What light device are you folks using? Does it have short and long wave capabilities or are the separate devices? I want to play!

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
One of the melee in my blue spinel ring is phosphorescent. I realized it when checking the spinel and the melee continued to glow.

I also have a white diamond, but it is only .38cts. I need to see if it is phosphorescent too!

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
Fascinating! What light device are you folks using? Does it have short and long wave capabilities or are the separate devices? I want to play!

For me, I use a sw/lw uv lamp, I have attached a picture for you. You can buy these on ebay and they are pretty affordable..:) Screenshot_20210131-182510_Gallery[1].jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
One of the melee in my blue spinel ring is phosphorescent. I realized it when checking the spinel and the melee continued to glow.

I also have a white diamond, but it is only .38cts. I need to see if it is phosphorescent too!

Hi Mrs_Strizzle! That is so cool! How long does the melee diamond glow for?
It will be exciting to know if your white diamond phosphoresces too!! :appl:I wonder if white diamonds do this more often and for how long...:geek2:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is really cool! Thanks. Great fun.
Does it fluoresce stronger under SW or LW?
Do you get a similar, weaker or stronger effect with a cheap UV torch than your flash UV under LW?
Is there no phosphorescence under LW?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I kept mine under UV for about 30 minutes. My little flashlight was starting to heat up so I called it quits.
The phosphorescence did not last any longer. Gone within 10 seconds. It was hard to catch a photo but
this is what I got.

fluorescence
IMG_20210131_160317222.jpg

Can you pick out the orange glow? It actually looks more glowy in person. My phone does not handle it well.
Whatever is in there that makes it phosphoresce is not very strong.

IMG_20210131_160413199.jpg

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
That is really cool! Thanks. Great fun.
Does it fluoresce stronger under SW or LW?
Do you get a similar, weaker or stronger effect with a cheap UV torch than your flash UV under LW?
Is there no phosphorescence under LW?

Hi Garry H, Thankyou! well, it fluoresces stronger under LW, the blue really comes out. The SW fluoresces pretty well in purple, but not as strong. I only have 2 lamps that will do LW, one is more expensive and a large lamp, the cheaper one is the one in the pic above, it does not seem to matter which LW I use, the fluorescence is very similar.
No phosphorescence with the LW,

Im hoping with other people's special diamonds that show the effect of phosphorescence, we can help each other determine if "charging " a diamond for longer, can give a longer state of continuous phosphorescence...and even if, maybe all or most fancy white diamonds have this capability..

Im having so much fun with it!
I would just go out and purchase a bunch of fancy whites to see if they all do this, but I will need to win the lottery first..lol

Thank you for joining the conversation!:appl:

Last edited:

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I kept mine under UV for about 30 minutes. My little flashlight was starting to heat up so I called it quits.
The phosphorescence did not last any longer. Gone within 10 seconds. It was hard to catch a photo but
this is what I got.

fluorescence
IMG_20210131_160317222.jpg

Can you pick out the orange glow? It actually looks more glowy in person. My phone does not handle it well.
Whatever is in there that makes it phosphoresce is not very strong.

IMG_20210131_160413199.jpg

Hi tyty333! Awesome pictures! I am so excited you managed to get one of your diamond phosphorescing! Thank you for posting the pictures and letting everyone know your results!:) So, charging longer doesn't always give a longer lasting phosphorescence...
The first pic of your diamond fluorescing is stunning..I love how you captured the brightness of the diamond..:wavey::appl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, charging longer doesn't always give a longer lasting phosphorescence..

Apparently not...I was hoping it would stay orange longer so I could get a better picture but, nope!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi tyty333! Awesome pictures! I am so excited you managed to get one of your diamond phosphorescing! Thank you for posting the pictures and letting everyone know your results!:) So, charging longer doesn't always give a longer lasting phosphorescence...
The first pic of your diamond fluorescing is stunning..I love how you captured the brightness of the diamond..:wavey::appl:

I have asked a few questions about all this of two of my learned friends who are experts in this field. Will report back.
"
Dear John and Grant,
Short wave creates stronger phosphorescence. Correct?
Does the length of SW excitation time Phosphorescence lasts?
Or is it purely the strength of the SW source?
Or something else like the number of dislocations etc?

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
As from what I have experienced playing around: stones with a very strong fluorescence also tend to phosphorescence. Mine - with super strong blue fluorescence - does so very clearly and for quite a bit but I’ve never heard of 10 hours! (That is so cool! My other stone with medium fluorescence also shows the effect but much less.

Sithathoriunet

Brilliant_Rock
I have asked a few questions about all this of two of my learned friends who are experts in this field. Will report back.
"
Dear John and Grant,
Short wave creates stronger phosphorescence. Correct?
Does the length of SW excitation time Phosphorescence lasts?
Or is it purely the strength of the SW source?
Or something else like the number of dislocations etc?

Oh my goodness thank you for that! I can't wait to hear what they have to say on the subject:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results