pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Attachments

• artnouveau_beaudry.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 3,039

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Re: Padparadascha ring setting ideas?

Is there any way for me to edit the title to fix my typo to "padparadscha"? The edit button no longer comes up. Can an admin change it please?

EDIT: Thank you moderators for fixing that!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pregcurious|1308840589|2952902 said:
Is there any way for me to edit the title to fix my typo to "padparadscha"? The edit button no longer comes up. Can an admin change it please?

Just click "Report Concern" in the upper right hand corner of your post in this thread.

There is a thread on padparadschas somewhere, have to find it.

I personally prefer padparadschas in halos as they often have very delicate color, and the halo helps bring the color out more. An enclosed basket also helps.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

TL|1308840924|2952907 said:
pregcurious|1308840589|2952902 said:

Just click "Report Concern" in the upper right hand corner of your post in this thread.

There is a thread on padparadschas somewhere, have to find it.

I personally prefer padparadschas in halos as they often have very delicate color, and the halo helps bring the color out more. An enclosed basket also helps.

Hi, just wanted to know, if a padparascha is set alone without a halo and a basket, the colour won't be clearly visible?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you surround a stone with a contrast like white diamonds, it can help deepen the tone, and make the stone pop more. I feel they kind of fade away in other types of settings. JMO.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think what TL meant is that pads usually have "delicate" color, or low saturation in color (pale pink/orange), and a halo/closed basket will make the stone appear darker. Halos or closed baskets will not allow as much light to diffuse through the stone as a more open setting, and thus stones often look more saturated. Also, the contrast with a white diamond halo often makes stones more striking, versus being directly against flesh. This may be especially applicable to pads that have a fleshy color.

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Pink gold with half moons!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1308849905|2953034 said:
I think what TL meant is that pads usually have "delicate" color, or low saturation in color (pale pink/orange), and a halo/closed basket will make the stone appear darker. Halos or closed baskets will not allow as much light to diffuse through the stone as a more open setting, and thus stones often look more saturated. Also, the contrast with a white diamond halo often makes stones more striking, versus being directly against flesh. This may be especially applicable to pads that have a fleshy color.

Thanks Pregcurious!! That's exactly what I meant, but you said it much better and more clearly than I did. :bigsmile:

I actually always suggest halos for lighter toned stones, no matter what they are, or an enclosed basket, heavy gallery, but I perfer halos the best as they do enclose the stone better than any other type of setting, with the exception of a bezel. I do not often recommend bezels however because

1) Very few jewelers know how to do them well, exact and evenly.
2) A jeweler can damage a stone more easily when they bezel it.
3) They tend to cover up some of the face up of a stone, so I only like them on larger stones.

I am currently setting a lighter toned stone myself, and of course, it's a halo. It's not a padparadscha (it's a green garnet), but the same thing applies.

I would also suggest yellow gold if the padparadscha has any brown modifier. I think yellow gold tends to lessen the brown.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just acquired a padparadscha sapphire myself unknowingly. If I keep it I am thinking of a rose gold halo with bright white melee and an ornate gallery in platinum.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Here's another halo, albeit with a ruby, from Leon Mege's website. I love the classic cluster look, with pears to transition into the rest of the ring. I think a pad would like great set like this:

Leon Mege setting r814.

r814_026Ww.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1308880354|2953642 said:
Here's another halo, albeit with a ruby, from Leon Mege's website. I love the classic cluster look, with pears to transition into the rest of the ring. I think a pad would like great set like this:

Leon Mege setting r814.

If you look at the old setting that Art Nouveau had for this padparadscha, it was a Princess Diana style setting, similar to the Leon setting above. I think it looked very nice, but AN's new setting is just WOW! This is more of a classic traditional look, but very beautiful too.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1308880354|2953642 said:

Leon Mege setting r814.

I LOVE it. Love how the pears flow in with the rounds. Very classic and beautiful.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I like artnouveau's setting best overall, but you can't argue much with any of the others !!!! :))

My second favorite would be the halo with the pears, I think that is a very harmonious setting...

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I love that Leon--there's a poster with a Blueberry in a very similar setting,, I think it was made by Whiteflash though..I wish I could remember her SN because I remember her posts always made me smile.

Regardless, I would probably find the stone before setting my heart on a setting (ha-ha) because if you being to associate a shape or size etc. with your future pad, then then you have an even narrower window of locating one, KWIM?

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently had this stone set by Steven Kirsch-- it's flawless and I love it, but I'll be perfectly honest. If I could do it again, I would set it like Traveling Gal's. The halo of my ring is so delicate and pretty, but the stone looks darker in it. Also, I would choose a different metal; I'm just not a fan of platinum and would have gone with yellow gold, or maybe rose gold. I went with a white metal because it didn't occur to me at the time that the stone might look nice in another metal.

Best of luck!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the advice Baby nurse. I think your ring is really beautiful.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, pregcurious! I really am happy with it, I just wish I'd thought about it a little longer :)) .

I meant to attach these pictures and got distracted!

Imported Photos 00064.JPG

Imported Photos 00065.JPG

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Baby nurse, I love how your stone has a nice balance of peach and pink. I'm starting to realize that I really love peach colored stones.

Are there any halo rings that you've seen with an airline that has been designed on purpose? I like the idea of a halo, but maybe an airline would help more light reach the center stone?

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is an embarrassingly late response and by now you may have your stone set :oops: .

I asked TL about whether a halo darkened the stone and she said it could help deepen the tone of light colored stones. She said the important thing was the metal color that you choose. With pads, white metal can bring out brown, whereas yellow gold can really complement it. I wish I had known that because I would definitely have gone with yellow gold instead of platinum (love my SK ring but I'm not a fan of white metals). I also asked about whether an airline made a difference in preventing a stone from potentially darkening and she said she didn't think so.

Here are a couple of pictures of halos with airlines. The one with the slight airline is difficult to see but you can kind of make it out if you look towards the bottom of the halo (it's Harriet's LM spinel on the right, ignore the one on the left in this picture).

LM tiny airline.JPG

LM pronounced airline.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, babynurse! I haven't set my stone yet, and it's on the back burner because I just bought a white gold eternity ring and am now obsessing about a 3-stone for a spinel I have had for 2 years. I am very slow at these things. Thanks for the tip about yellow metal and pink stones. The irony is that I'm not a big YG fan, even though my wedding set (and avatar) are YG.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's mine! Due to the serious $ nature of unheated/untreated Padparadschas, I only have an ickle one! Here she is with an enormous halo to make her a bit more weighty! Looks a bit too pink in the top photo but it's more like the second photo although because of it's strong fluor it has chameleon type tendancies!

Sapphire Padparadscha Sappire1_1_1.JPG

Sapphire Padparadscha 0.68ct 1.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
LD, I like the color of your stone. Very delicate.

chumleygirl

Shiny_Rock
I love seeing all these gorgeous pads. The colors are SO beautiful!

I know this is an old thread, but does any one have a pad set in rose/pink gold? With or without a halo, I'd love to see how it looks against the warmer gold.

Thanks kindly!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a rose gold halo and set my pad on top. It didn't end up working for it, but one day.....

_15410.jpg

oval8.jpg

_15411.jpg

chumleygirl

Shiny_Rock
The setting is unique! I love the floweresque cluster shape. And the color of your pad is yummy. =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results