shape
carat
color
clarity

our own John Pollard in a AGS podcast advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2008 6:11:43 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Date: 8/16/2008 4:04:04 AM
Author: Serg

In real world light environment did YOU see performance difference P41Cr34.5 and P41.6 Cr34.5?

Garry,
Do you see performance difference ( if I mix stones, slightly change table size to not avoid possibility recognize pavilion angle without scan report) ?
without IS, and other rejection tools. which diamond is better for stereoscopic Vision ?

same question for P41.2 and 41.4
I do not see real scientifically research here from both sides.

I can pick the difference between tokowsky MSS stone and most of the other stones under the lighting I prefer.
I think we can model that lighting at 1/6th scale

Garry,
I do not ask could you recognize Tolkowsky diamond or see difference between two diamonds. I ask Could you see performance difference( see what one stone is better than other?)
Which is more bright? Which has more Fire?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
re:I am not sure "performance" is the correct word here..., but if you practice enough..., I am certain you could notice a minute change in appearance! But I may be completely wrong as I never tried it myself..., but in fancies I have my ways to visualize such differences on my models!

Diagem,

May be I need change performance to Beauty. sorry for my simple English

Of course professional can be trained to recognize difference. But if you can see difference it is not mean what you can see difference in performance-Beauty

Do you see difference between green and red colors? do you see difference in performance-Beauty between green and red colors.
Do you see difference between D and E diamonds? Could you see difference in performance-Beauty between D and E colors

Both example are not same what I asked for P41 and P41.6

I just want show difference is not equal performance grade / Rejection system is not performance-Beauty grade system

John see a lot of small sharks, I see several big Sharks . Consuner can be smart enough to avoide small sharks, But he has not real chance avoid big Sharks now

In other markets Labs do not grade Beauty( safety ,cheating are standard niche for Labs.) Gemological Labs should do identification firstly. Do they do it good? No.
Better if Labs will invest more efforts todiagnostic synthetics or change Name of Business

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2008 7:51:27 AM

Date: 8/16/2008 6:11:43 AM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

I can pick the difference between tokowsky MSS stone and most of the other stones under the lighting I prefer.
I think we can model that lighting at 1/6th scale

Garry,
I do not ask could you recognize Tolkowsky diamond or see difference between two diamonds. I ask Could you see performance difference( see what one stone is better than other?)
Which is more bright? Which has more Fire?

Yes, it has the most even, bright and pleasant look with no dark zones. That is how I pick it. Some others seem very close.

But i have not yet done all the stones in one go because I want to do it when we have the best lighting and questions - otherwise it is easy to become familiar and loose objectivity

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2008 8:18:24 AM

re:I am not sure ''performance'' is the correct word here..., but if you practice enough..., I am certain you could notice a minute change in appearance! But I may be completely wrong as I never tried it myself..., but in fancies I have my ways to visualize such differences on my models!

Diagem,

May be I need change performance to Beauty. sorry for my simple English

Sorry Serg..., nothing meant by it..., I just still today dont know how to measure performance in Diamonds...

Of course professional can be trained to recognize difference. But if you can see difference it is not mean what you can see difference in performance-Beauty

I would say every difference has its own character to the individuals liking or taste...

Do you see difference between green and red colors? do you see difference in performance-Beauty between green and red colors.
Do you see difference between D and E diamonds? Could you see difference in performance-Beauty between D and E colors

Both example are not same what I asked for P41 and P41.6

thats why I said the suitable word might be appearance or minute character changes in appearance..., I think its not Beauty for certain and performance..., I have not figured that word yet!

I just want show difference is not equal performance grade / Rejection system is not performance-Beauty grade systemSerg..., I think we are on the same accord on this subject....

John see a lot of small sharks, I see several big Sharks . Consuner can be smart enough to avoide small sharks, But he has not real chance avoid big Sharks now

In other markets Labs do not grade Beauty( safety ,cheating are standard niche for Labs.) Gemological Labs should do identification firstly. Do they do it good? No.
Better if Labs will invest more efforts todiagnostic synthetics or change Name of Business

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

The best sentence in this thread (in my opinion...), to bad not too many understand it
7.gif

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 11:32:26 AM
Author: Wink
When I sit down with a client and offer them choices of stones, the vast majority choose the AGS 0 cut rounds and princesses, no matter what else I show them. (With an occassional AGS 1 or 2 because of polish or symmetry, but always with AGS 0 light return.)

Why. Because they are the most beautiful diamonds that I show them.
Hi Wink!

Do you still sell 2 brands of ideal cut diamonds (beside non branded stones)?
I'm sure they are all beautiful.
But if I remember well, one of the 2 brands won't receive AGS0 grade, the other always.
If I'm not wrong, you are sometimes wearing a blue diamond (color treated) in a ring.
A diamond with the brand that doesn't get AGS0.
You wouldn't wear a diamond that is ugly, would you?
2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 3:15:16 PM
Author: John Pollard

Date: 8/15/2008 11:59:10 AM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 8/15/2008 11:14:48 AM
Author: Ellen!

And I also don''t recall steep/deeps being referred to as frozen spit. The implication to them being mentioned, is that they are not going to be nearly as bright and beautiful as a stone cut closer to Tolk specs. But I have been around this block with Diagem before, we both know where we stand, so I won''t elaborate.
5.gif

Pity..., I would have love to hear your definition of the connection between ''steep/deep'', Tolk specs., and beauty...
20.gif
DiaGem, there is a big difference between the slightly “steep/deep” included in GIA EX which some of us ‘round here caution about - versus what lurks in commercial markets.

This 0.97 steep/deep faces up like a 0.75 ct should. It would receive AGS10 and GIA Poor if cut grading were present, but the only indicators on this report related to cut say “good.” How would you classify it?

While I imagine a lot of non-pros would smell this out pretty fast, consumer protection should not be limited to smart people.
1-steep-deep-62-725.jpg

*looking at depth*

yikes2.gif
Good. Lord.

Great example John. And Amen to the highlight. Many young couples going to buy an Ering have absolutely no knowledge about diamonds. They could easily end up with such a stone, because there ARE many, many jewelers out there who would sell them something like this in a heartbeat.

I was one of these people. I knew nothing. The jeweler told me NOTHING. I looked at a few rings (already set), and picked one. Did I get a great cut stone (by the standards you and I hold for great cut)? No, I got a very average cut stone. Ended up with the same thing for my first and second pairs of studs.

Then I found PS, and actually learned what a well cut diamond is, and what it should do. I now own a stunnining Ering and studs. There IS a difference, and I believe anyone could see it in a side by side comparison. The difference is night and day. People should be educated before buying, but that doesn''t always happen. Therefore, there should be protection for the consumer. Because to have someone end up with something like this is criminal, in my book.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/15/2008 4:03:35 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 8/15/2008 4:01:55 PM

Date: 8/15/2008 3:43:58 PM
By the way DG, after reading the above post will you please answer the question I’ve asked you two times already? (don’t make me come over there!)
11.gif

If given a choice, blind, to take delivery of 100 IGI/EGL/GIA princess cuts or 100 AGS0 princess cuts (same carat/color/clarity) which choice do you predict would result in the collection with the highest cut quality and overall performance?

Same question with rounds.

hmmm, a little background music please, I feel a song coming on.

Come on baby light my fire, come on baby light my FIRE! The time for hesitating''s through...

That''s it baby keep those feet to the fire!

Wink

P.S. Too bad most of you are too young to remember that little bit of rock and roll.
I actually am rather partial to The Doors!
37.gif
I must admit, I am too.

To say otherwise,

You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar.....
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2008 11:02:10 AM
Author: Ellen

Date: 8/15/2008 4:03:35 PM

Date: 8/15/2008 4:01:55 PM

Date: 8/15/2008 3:43:58 PM
By the way DG, after reading the above post will you please answer the question I’ve asked you two times already? (don’t make me come over there!)
11.gif

If given a choice, blind, to take delivery of 100 IGI/EGL/GIA princess cuts or 100 AGS0 princess cuts (same carat/color/clarity) which choice do you predict would result in the collection with the highest cut quality and overall performance?

Same question with rounds.

hmmm, a little background music please, I feel a song coming on.

Come on baby light my fire, come on baby light my FIRE! The time for hesitating's through...

That's it baby keep those feet to the fire!

Wink

P.S. Too bad most of you are too young to remember that little bit of rock and roll.
I actually am rather partial to The Doors!
37.gif
I must admit, I am too.

To say otherwise,

You know that it would be untrue
You know that I would be a liar.....
9.gif
If I was to say to you....
Baby we couldn't get much higher....
Come on baby light my fire....
29.gif
28.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2008 11:00:45 AM

And I also don''t recall steep/deeps being referred to as frozen spit. The implication to them being mentioned, is that they are not going to be nearly as bright and beautiful as a stone cut closer to Tolk specs. But I have been around this block with Diagem before, we both know where we stand, so I won''t elaborate.
5.gif

Pity..., I would have love to hear your definition of the connection between ''steep/deep'', Tolk specs., and beauty...
20.gif
DiaGem, there is a big difference between the slightly “steep/deep” included in GIA EX which some of us ‘round here caution about - versus what lurks in commercial markets.

This 0.97 steep/deep faces up like a 0.75 ct should. It would receive AGS10 and GIA Poor if cut grading were present, but the only indicators on this report related to cut say “good.” How would you classify it?

While I imagine a lot of non-pros would smell this out pretty fast, consumer protection should not be limited to smart people.
1-steep-deep-62-725.jpg

*looking at depth*

yikes2.gif
Good. Lord.

Great example John. And Amen to the highlight. Many young couples going to buy an Ering have absolutely no knowledge about diamonds. They could easily end up with such a stone, because there ARE many, many jewelers out there who would sell them something like this in a heartbeat.

I was one of these people. I knew nothing. The jeweler told me NOTHING. I looked at a few rings (already set), and picked one. Did I get a great cut stone (by the standards you and I hold for great cut)? No, I got a very average cut stone. Ended up with the same thing for my first and second pairs of studs.

Then I found PS, and actually learned what a well cut diamond is, and what it should do. I now own a stunnining Ering and studs. There IS a difference, and I believe anyone could see it in a side by side comparison. The difference is night and day. People should be educated before buying, but that doesn''t always happen. Therefore, there should be protection for the consumer. Because to have someone end up with something like this is criminal, in my book.
Sorry Ellen..., still dont see the connection between steep/deep and beauty!
Showing radical examples is the easy way out (always was
2.gif
)..., but it still doesnt make this specific Diamond not a beautiful one (especially not via papers and numbers!)...

It might be that this Diamond is not to your "performance" standards or even "cut" standards..., but I guess I still have to learn how to measure performance
32.gif
..., cut wise..., its all based on personal preference..., and everyone has his/hers own taste!

And thank god we dont live by your book
11.gif
! I would probably have ended up on a life sentence according to your book
20.gif
!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2008 9:35:49 AM
Author: QueenMum
Date: 8/14/2008 11:32:26 AM

When I sit down with a client and offer them choices of stones, the vast majority choose the AGS 0 cut rounds and princesses, no matter what else I show them. (With an occassional AGS 1 or 2 because of polish or symmetry, but always with AGS 0 light return.)

Why. Because they are the most beautiful diamonds that I show them.

Hi Wink!

Do you still sell 2 brands of ideal cut diamonds (beside non branded stones)?

I''m sure they are all beautiful.

But if I remember well, one of the 2 brands won''t receive AGS0 grade, the other always.

If I''m not wrong, you are sometimes wearing a blue diamond (color treated) in a ring.

A diamond with the brand that doesn''t get AGS0.

You wouldn''t wear a diamond that is ugly, would you?

2.gif

I proudly sold EightStars for years and still proudly wear my treated blue EightStar diamond that I had recut from a larger stone. Many of the EightStar diamonds would in fact get the AGS 0 grade and the rest would get a 1 or 2 for polish, physical symmetry or perhaps from painting deemed excessive in the AGS system, but I believe that most of them would still receive an AGS 0 light performance grade. I can not know that for sure since they are graded by GIA (I believe).

I recently decided that I could no longer consider myself an EightStar dealer as I have become completely dedicated to the Infinity product and did not want to remain a dealer just to lock up my geographic area. I informed Richard von Sternberg of this and he agreed that we should remain friends but sever our dealer relationship.

Well over 90% of the diamonds that I sell every year are now from Infinity with an occasional gap filled here and there with another product, so yes, you could say I was a pretty dedicated Infinity dealer. I tend to be intensely loyal, it is one of my strengths and one of my weaknesses.

Some of you may remember that I was once thrown off a now basically dormant board for the egregious sin of being an EightStar dealer when the owner of the board capriciously decided to ban all EightStar dealers for what ever his misguided thinking was.

When I called him to ask what the heck he informed me that I was making a LOT more money from another product than I would ever make selling EightStars and that all I had to do was to quit EightStar to be reinstated. I told him I would never be able to reinstate myself with the guy I looked at shaving every morning if I quit EightStar to make him happy.

Richard von Sternberg called me to let me know he would not be offended if I quit EightStar to maintain my other business and I told him that I preferred to be able to shave in the morning, no matter what the affect on my business. It nearly cost me all of my business.

It was the right thing to do.

I had a long and friendly relationship with Richard and his family and EightStar. I will continue to have a friendship with Richard and his family and I will continue to know that the EightStar is a great product, it is just no longer my product.

So to answer your question. No, I would not wear a diamond that was ugly to me.

Wink

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 11:36:12 AM

5.gif

20.gif

1-steep-deep-62-725.jpg

*looking at depth*

yikes2.gif
Good. Lord.

2.gif
)..., but it still doesnt make this specific Diamond not a beautiful one (especially not via papers and numbers!)...

It might be that this Diamond is not to your ''performance'' standards or even ''cut'' standards..., but I guess I still have to learn how to measure performance
32.gif
..., cut wise..., its all based on personal preference..., and everyone has his/hers own taste!

11.gif
20.gif
!
That''s because there isn''t much of one.
25.gif

You want to find this stone beautiful, that''s great. But people should know what they are doing before deeming such a stone beautiful. They should know what an AGS0, or any very well cut stone looks like, to truly compare cut/beauty. And if they don''t know, I think it''s wise to err on the side of caution.

I have bit my tongue more than once with you about rolling the eyes at me. You don''t do that with the men on here, so am I to assume I''m special or something?
20.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2008 11:36:12 AM

5.gif

20.gif

1-steep-deep-62-725.jpg

*looking at depth*

yikes2.gif
Good. Lord.

2.gif

It might be that this Diamond is not to your ''performance'' standards or even ''cut'' standards..., but I guess I still have to learn how to measure performance
32.gif

11.gif
20.gif
!

RE: It might be that this Diamond is not to your ''performance'' standards or even ''cut'' standards..., but I guess I still have to learn how to measure performance
32.gif

I would be happy to put this one carat next to one of Paul''s one carats in multiple light environments and let 100,000 unbiased observers look at them and decide the best and the worst diamond. I would real surprised if the extremely deep diamond was not voted last by well over 90% of the viewers. Heck, I would bet that even if the diamond of Paul''s was two color grades lower and one of Paul''s eyecleanish I1''s. This is also assuming that the grades of the EGL paper are correct, so find our the correct grade and make Paul''s diamond two color grades lower than the real color grade, what ever it happens to be

While the likelihood of such overwhelming preference might not suit your preferences, it suits mine just fine for attempting to provide the most beautiful diamonds for my clients. (Even if the result was only 75% in favor of paul''s diamond I would be happy.)

I acknowledge and accept that they may not be the most beautiful for all, but for me they are the most beautiful for a sufficient portion of the universe of potential clients that I have that I am happy and they are happy. Those that are not I am happy for them to buy from someone else.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
P.S. I once sold a round not so brilliant with a 79% depth.

I had taken it in on trade and sold it to an AGS store who wanted an UGLY DUCKLING to show someone how ridiculesly small and lifeless a 1ct diamond could be.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2008 11:49:54 AM
Author:

11.gif
20.gif
!
That's because there isn't much of one.
25.gif

You want to find this stone beautiful, that's great. But people should know what they are doing before deeming such a stone beautiful. They should know what an AGS0, or any very well cut stone looks like, to truly compare cut/beauty. And if they don't know, I think it's wise to err on the side of caution.

I have bit my tongue more than once with you about rolling the eyes at me. You don't do that with the men on here, so am I to assume I'm special or something?
20.gif
Ditto. And to the eyeroll
40.gif
. Diagem, I get what you are saying, I really do. Some not so well cut gems can show some beauty certainly. There is room for many different opinions, but I have seen some horribly cut diamonds in my time, and by no stretch of the imagination could those ever be referred to as beautiful or even attractive. Thank goodness there is now education readily available so the consumer can learn and make their own decisions, so they don't forever end up wondering why their diamond doesn't sparkle. Hopefully as time goes on and the effect of education spreads, diamonds will be cut to better standards as the client demand increases, once they realize the difference that cut can make, as valued educators such as Ellen emphasize.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

25.gif

And another keyboard bites the dust... Coffee everywhere

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2008 12:13:38 PM

25.gif

* hands Sir Wink a napkin*
11.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Ellen's "book" appears to be shared by John, Wink, Paul, and Brian. Sorry if I left anyone out. Sometimes you need a scorecard to know all the players on this type of thread. When I upgraded my diamond to an ACA, my plan was to have it set into my original shared prong setting and use my smaller stone as a pendant. When I received my ACA and compared it to the diamonds in my rings, I was
23.gif
at the difference in beauty and performance. I had always thought that my rings were well cut and beautiful, but compared to the AGS 0 ACA, there was no comparison. I traded in the whole lot for a new wedding set with all AGS 0 diamonds. Not only did the ACA have the numbers, but it passed the "eye" test. If there is something wrong with that, I don't know what it would be. I'm not a professional and I do need some guidelines and parameters to help me make an informed choice. If I were buying a fancy cut, my approach would be different. I appreciate those professionals who provide timely assistance. For those looking toward the future, education is more helpful than sarcasm
34.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2008 12:15:38 PM

25.gif

11.gif

And Wink gratefully uses it to wipe tears from eyes, coffee through nose HURTS, while accompanied by more and more organ solos and choruses of Come on Baby light my Fire running through brain. May be hard to work much today, must go through old vinyl records and listen to full song. Will to work getting weaker...

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2008 12:17:03 PM
Author: risingsun
Ellen''s ''book'' appears to be shared by John, Wink, Paul, and Brian. Sorry if I left anyone out. Sometimes you need a scorecard to know all the players on this type of thread. When I upgraded my diamond to an ACA, my plan was to have it set into my original shared prong setting and use my smaller stone as a pendant. When I received my ACA and compared it to the diamonds in my rings, I was
23.gif
at the difference in beauty and performance. I had always thought that my rings were well cut and beautiful, but compared to the AGS 0 ACA, there was no comparison. I traded in the whole lot for a new wedding set with all AGS 0 diamonds. Not only did the ACA have the numbers, but it passed the ''eye'' test. If there is something wrong with that, I don''t know what it would be. I''m not a professional and I do need some guidelines and parameters to help me make an informed choice. If I were buying a fancy cut, my approach would be different. I appreciate those professionals who provide timely assistance. For those looking toward the future, education is more helpful than sarcasm
34.gif

Merci madam! Well said.

Wink

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

25.gif

9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/16/2008 12:20:16 PM

Date: 8/16/2008 12:15:38 PM

11.gif

And Wink gratefully uses it to wipe tears from eyes, coffee through nose HURTS, while accompanied by more and more organ solos and choruses of Come on Baby light my Fire running through brain. May be hard to work much today, must go through old vinyl records and listen to full song. Will to work getting weaker...
Hehee! Enjoy the rest of the day in the company of Manzarek and Morrison!
11.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 4:04:04 AM

In real world light environment did YOU see performance difference P41Cr34.5 and P41.6 Cr34.5?

P41Cr34.5 and P41.6 Cr34.5 depending on lighting can tell at a glance.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is diagems point...
1-steep-deep-62-725.jpg

No diamond with those numbers can be pretty?

What about this one?

extremesteepdeep.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
lets add some storm magic and tilt it 15 degrees and use it as a side stone....
Tada!

extremesteepdeep15degreesTilt.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Diagem''s stone is a round brilliant, yours is a round something else.

Apples/oranges. Different discussion.

Wink

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way to tell from a pic.

And that''s only part of his "point". He''s trying to say ALL diamonds, no matter what the cut, are beautiful. He has said this to me before. And there''s just no way strm, no way.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2008 12:17:03 PM
Author: risingsun
Ellen''s ''book'' appears to be shared by John, Wink, Paul, and Brian. Sorry if I left anyone out. Sometimes you need a scorecard to know all the players on this type of thread. When I upgraded my diamond to an ACA, my plan was to have it set into my original shared prong setting and use my smaller stone as a pendant. When I received my ACA and compared it to the diamonds in my rings, I was
23.gif
at the difference in beauty and performance
. I had always thought that my rings were well cut and beautiful, but compared to the AGS 0 ACA, there was no comparison. I traded in the whole lot for a new wedding set with all AGS 0 diamonds. Not only did the ACA have the numbers, but it passed the ''eye'' test. If there is something wrong with that, I don''t know what it would be. I''m not a professional and I do need some guidelines and parameters to help me make an informed choice. If I were buying a fancy cut, my approach would be different. I appreciate those professionals who provide timely assistance. For those looking toward the future, education is more helpful than sarcasm
34.gif
Marian,

You did it, You did comparison , you received first step of real education.
Now you know difference between good and very good diamonds.
You received a lot of positive emotion because your new diamond is better( not only because this diamond is AGS0 ACA, Ideal,..)

Thank you very much for post and experience .
Do you want continue your education or stop it?
Do you prefer what other consumer will receive real education too or just BrainWashing about Ideal( real Ideal) cut?

Consumer education is very important.
I do not think what Brand recognition is consumer education

You received education after you bought diamond? Is it right way? I think consumer should receive education before he buy diamond.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/16/2008 12:49:38 PM
Diagem''s stone is a round brilliant, yours is a round something else.

Apples/oranges. Different discussion.

Wink
That too.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yours is certainly pretty from this tilt, just curious, what is tilt angle, how is face up angle and for what size gem is this cut intended?

Your designs are what excite me about Sergey''s concept/

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/16/2008 12:50:21 PM

You received education after you bought diamond? Is it right way? I think consumer should receive education before he buy diamond.

I agree and that is what I like to do. It is what John likes to do.

I admit to "some" bias as to what I think the education will lead to.

I am proud to do so.

I will also be proud to offer new solutions such as you and Storm are working towards when and if they happen.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results