shape
carat
color
clarity

Old miner cut...

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Ever since seeing a really cool picture of an old miner cut ring here on this site I'm dying to know more about that particular cut. From what I gleaned online, it is a cut that is even older than an old European cut, but with even less optimal light performance overall (due to there not being any mechanical cutting devices like the brooting thingie... so it was all cut by hand ). They mentioned that they really flash nicely by candlelight, though, which just really sounds cool as hell to me.

Are old miner cut diamonds SUPER expensive? And to qualify as an old miner cut does it really have to be from that actual era? Or do people sometimes still mimic the old miner cut technique and produce new diamonds in that tradition? It sounds like most of 'em had quite a bit of warmth/color and lower clarity grades.

Does anyone have any good links to some cool pictures of old miner cuts? And are there any members with more pictures of their old miner cut diamonds? I'm fascinated!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This thread comes to mind!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This thread with Kroshka’s beauty

Generally speaking, old mine cut diamonds can be found in all price points. Just like modern cut diamonds - with lab reports and without.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a look at OldWorldDiamonds website if you want to get an idea of prices

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
My next purchase will be an OMC unless the perfect Asscher comes along. I love the 'basic', chunky look of OMC. There are some Etsy sellers with loose OMCs. Quality will vary greatly and many will have signs of age. I'm not looking for perfection. Just a stone that really looks old world.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Ever since seeing a really cool picture of an old miner cut ring here on this site I'm dying to know more about that particular cut. From what I gleaned online, it is a cut that is even older than an old European cut, but with even less optimal light performance overall (due to there not being any mechanical cutting devices like the brooting thingie... so it was all cut by hand ). They mentioned that they really flash nicely by candlelight, though, which just really sounds cool as hell to me.

Are old miner cut diamonds SUPER expensive? And to qualify as an old miner cut does it really have to be from that actual era? Or do people sometimes still mimic the old miner cut technique and produce new diamonds in that tradition? It sounds like most of 'em had quite a bit of warmth/color and lower clarity grades.

Does anyone have any good links to some cool pictures of old miner cuts? And are there any members with more pictures of their old miner cut diamonds? I'm fascinated!

Good luck on your hunt for an OMC. They are not as coo on as rounds, but it’s not like looking for a diamond in the rough :razz::roll: Laughing at my own pun is so sad...

I can tell you, that a well cut OMC or OEC perform really differently than moderns. The huge chunks of fire they cast, just warms my soul. Millions of splinter bands of light off an modern XXX ideal just isn’t me bag. Now, that said, as in any cut, a crap cut looks just like that.

Some folks like Picasso, some don’t. He is still an amazing artist, but it comes down to personal preference.

The links folks have added wont steer you wrong - good luck.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a big fan of old cuts. Old European cuts and Old Mine cuts. Both of them make my heart beat faster when they are chunky beautiful. I prefer the genuine old cuts as opposed to the newly cut "old" cuts but that (as all choices re bling) comes down to personal preference. No right or wrong when it comes to what makes your heart go pitter patter. What I love about them is their chunky yumminess. Unlike modern cuts the old cuts just make me swoon.

Here is my most recent OMC acquisition. OMC cluster earrings.

Vendor photo:

Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 7.21.43 AM.png

My photo:

omcearringscloseup.png

A close up of another pair of OMC earrings I own. Very old earrings. Original setting and stones.

omcdanglescloseup.png

Another pair of OMC earrings I have. New settings with genuine OMCs (bottom stones).

omcoecdangleearrings.jpg

Good luck finding your dream old cut diamonds.
They really are chunkalicious.

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Okay - I just re-read my post and apologies about the typos. I clearly should not post before coffee :(

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I'm a big fan of old cuts. Old European cuts and Old Mine cuts. Both of them make my heart beat faster when they are chunky beautiful. I prefer the genuine old cuts as opposed to the newly cut "old" cuts but that (as all choices re bling) comes down to personal preference. No right or wrong when it comes to what makes your heart go pitter patter. What I love about them is their chunky yumminess. Unlike modern cuts the old cuts just make me swoon.

Vendor photo:

My photo:

omcearringscloseup.png

A close up of another pair of OMC earrings I own. Very old earrings. Original setting and stones.

omcdanglescloseup.png

Another pair of OMC earrings I have. New settings with genuine OMCs (bottom stones).

omcoecdangleearrings.jpg

Missy I LOVE your earrings!!!!
And to all on this thread I LOVE omc i got my first omc diamond cluster necklace this summer! And Missy helped me realize they are good diamonds so thanks again Missy!

matt_k

Shiny_Rock
Good luck on your hunt for an OMC. They are not as coo on as rounds, but it’s not like looking for a diamond in the rough :razz::roll: Laughing at my own pun is so sad...

I can tell you, that a well cut OMC or OEC perform really differently than moderns. The huge chunks of fire they cast, just warms my soul. Millions of splinter bands of light off an modern XXX ideal just isn’t me bag. Now, that said, as in any cut, a crap cut looks just like that.

Some folks like Picasso, some don’t. He is still an amazing artist, but it comes down to personal preference.

The links folks have added wont steer you wrong - good luck.

YOUR ring in this forum is what piqued my interest in OMC stones to begin with. LOVE that ring in your profile pic.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only old mine cut round diamond I have is green.

0.26 FIG.png

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The only old mine cut round diamond I have is green.

0.26 FIG.png

Oh wow, what an amazing colour! Do you keep a collection of loose stones or have you set it?

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My moi & toi ring using a matched pair of OMCs
7B214948-DFA8-423B-BDD7-C8717527944D.jpeg

I adore your moi & toi ring. The facet pattern stunning times two. :love:

Reactions: EC8

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock

Vendor photo:

My photo:

omcearringscloseup.png

omcdanglescloseup.png

omcoecdangleearrings.jpg

Came back to look at your earrings and all 3 are just stunning :kiss2:! You go girl!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Came back to look at your earrings and all 3 are just stunning :kiss2:! You go girl!

Aww you’re so sweet @bling_dream19 thank you ❤ You have some stunning pieces as well. Droolworthy in every way. ❤

Thank you all for your comments and right back at you - your earrings @missy are TDF, especially that latest cluster pair and @caolsen - your golden OMC has me wanting lower color stones now...

Thank you @EC8 !

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, what an amazing colour! Do you keep a collection of loose stones or have you set it?

Thanks.
I have a small collection of FCDs, but I've never set one.
There are several old threads about them here on PS.

I don't want to thread-jack Matt's thread so below are links to 2 of the threads.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results