shape
carat
color
clarity

old mine or vintage step cut?

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
The setting struck me as "meh" but with that Asscher in it, it's lovely. I can't see anything but that diamond.

I think that is the problem I am having too. I am not sure it's nice enough for the stone if that makes sense. I mean I want something pretty simple but I just don't think I am where I want to be. Will have to keep working toward that.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
The shank looks too rounded to me.
Can you post some inspiration pictures of emerald/asscher cut rings that you like?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What a lovely Asscher cut!!!
A few things come to mind reading this thread.
First- antique.....personally, as a dealer I am extremely careful using words like "antique" as opposed to "antique style"
There are cases where certain aspects imply that the diamond was cut many years ago.
The facet meet lines, girdle and other aspects.
BUT- a skilled cutter can replicate these things today.
If the actual age of the stone is important to the buyer I think it matters if it's truly an antique.
With step cuts, in general, people assume it's an antique based on an open culet.
It's quite an easy feat to open the culet on a step cut.
My point is that, in general, a lot of sellers toss around the specification "antique" when it's not established as a fact.

Something to know about step cuts is they do not hide dirt or even water spots. An old mine cut or old european will be a lot more forgiving.

I respectfully disagree with this.
Each facet acts like a mirror, or a window.
The large facets on the bottom of a step cut frequently act like mirrors.
Reflections off a mirror are still bright, even if the mirror is dirty. As opposed to a window- when it's dirty it obscures your view.
In this regard, emerald (step), and old mine behave pretty similarly. Old Euros too- although I find them to be closer to an RBC in this regard......

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely Asscher cut!!!
A few things come to mind reading this thread.
First- antique.....personally, as a dealer I am extremely careful using words like "antique" as opposed to "antique style"
There are cases where certain aspects imply that the diamond was cut many years ago.
The facet meet lines, girdle and other aspects.
BUT- a skilled cutter can replicate these things today.
If the actual age of the stone is important to the buyer I think it matters if it's truly an antique.
With step cuts, in general, people assume it's an antique based on an open culet.
It's quite an easy feat to open the culet on a step cut.
My point is that, in general, a lot of sellers toss around the specification "antique" when it's not established as a fact.

I respectfully disagree with this.
Each facet acts like a mirror, or a window.
The large facets on the bottom of a step cut frequently act like mirrors.
Reflections off a mirror are still bright, even if the mirror is dirty. As opposed to a window- when it's dirty it obscures your view.
In this regard, emerald (step), and old mine behave pretty similarly. Old Euros too- although I find them to be closer to an RBC in this regard......

Thank you for your compliment on the stone and perspective. I will say that I believe the source where this stone was sourced to be fully reputable in terms of whether this is an old cut stone vs. a modern cut reproduction.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond, just speaking from my own experience, I can see dirt and water spots on the facets of my emerald cut much easier than my OEC of similar size. The EC still reflects the light sure, but it is a lot more obvious when it needs a cleaning vs my old cuts. Of course there may not be any scientific basis to what I’ve shared here, this is just my own observations.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I get your point @YadaYadaYada
The larger table in particular shows dirt more readily- I wasn't considering it from that perspective.
It's always a consideration when talking pics.
I find EC's pretty easy to clean at least:)
I will say that I believe the source where this stone was sourced to be fully reputable in terms of whether this is an old cut stone vs. a modern cut reproduction.

I should have been even more clear- the only part of my comment about your stone was the fact that it looks amazing! I love the big corners- it almost looks like an Octavia!
Of course, there are many honest sellers, and times that provenance can be determined.
I just find the term getting thrown around loosely in general.....not in this specific case.
I'm even skeptical of these sorts of claims at times when dealers are trying to sell us stones at the wholesale level. I might still buy the diamond- but I would advertise it as "antique style". Maybe I'm just an over sceptical New Yawka:)

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Well I am back at square one for setting this asscher. Think it's going to go in the safe for a while until I am a bit more confident as to what I want to do with it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stuller has a huge selection of lovely affordable and antique style mounts. You should check out their catalogue. Most Jewelers can order from them.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
The really nice ones will take you a while. Let it come to you.

Thank you! I am a little concerned though that the more I would set it the more risk for damage so maybe I should just wait for the forever setting but maybe that’s unwarranted

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Many people here reset diamonds multiple times. I can't do it, I had a yellow EC chip being set. I wait for a setting I can live with, and do just that. JMHO.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Many people here reset diamonds multiple times. I can't do it, I had a yellow EC chip being set. I wait for a setting I can live with, and do just that. JMHO.

I think this is where I’m at, it’s just going to need to sit for awhile til I have a better sense of what I want. I’m not on a timeline.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I decided on a lifetime setting for this asscher and it arrived today with the jeweler who will set it, I am so excited to see it back in a few weeks, went in a totally different direction for the setting than I expected initially and this is a setting I really never expected to own as I really did not think they would work with outside stones. But I took a chance with an email and after review they said they'd do it!

This may be my first piece that I may have to buy flowers to take pictures with when it arrives, never been this excited before!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you give us any hints???

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will since I got the email today that after seeing the stone in person it seems to be what they feel is a great fit for the mounting so I guess it's all chosen, the asscher is w
I decided on a lifetime setting for this asscher and it arrived today with the jeweler who will set it, I am so excited to see it back in a few weeks, went in a totally different direction for the setting than I expected initially and this is a setting I really never expected to own as I really did not think they would work with outside stones. But I took a chance with an email and after review they said they'd do it!

This may be my first piece that I may have to buy flowers to take pictures with when it arrives, never been this excited before!

Oh I knew it when I read this!! (and I never know anything!!)

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow that is amazing that you'd suspect that, you were totally right! I am not a person who really resets diamonds anyway once I choose something but I really can't ever see resetting a stone from one of these pieces. I can't imagine what this is going to look like in person the pictures that I was sent of a previous asscher in this mounting were amazing. Of course that asscher was bigger than mine but I still think it's going to be great!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wowza! It will truly be a lifetime setting then. I would love to see the inspiration setting. Just to live vicariously! But I can be patient if needed.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Wowza! It will truly be a lifetime setting then. I would love to see the inspiration setting. Just to live vicariously! But I can be patient if needed.

It is his flora setting, when I spoke to him he recommended the flora setting first but also showed me pictures of a cushion cut in the trillium with the rondels (I think someone here might have done the trillium with the rondels with an asscher cut before). I love floral details in jewelry and chose the flora, he recommended bloomed gold with a platinum head. It will be my first non platinum setting but I am following the advice of the artist and the pictures of the previous asscher in a bloomed gold flora were super nice.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
JEALOUS. I can't wait to see it. That is all.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will since I got the email today that after seeing the stone in person it seems to be what they feel is a great fit for the mounting so I guess it's all chosen, the asscher is with Tim McClelland.

Oh my God I was honestly PRAYING he's who you would use. I honestly can't wait to see.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my God I was honestly PRAYING he's who you would use. I honestly can't wait to see.

Thank you! Something just made me send an email I guess and I was honestly expecting they'd say no as I didn't think they'd work with outside stones. Their customer service has been awesome so far too!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! Something just made me send an email I guess and I was honestly expecting they'd say no as I didn't think they'd work with outside stones. Their customer service has been awesome so far too!

I'm thrilled for you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results