shape
carat
color
clarity

old mine or vintage step cut?

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! Considering starting a new ring project as it's been 13 years since I bought my last diamond. Was thinking old mine at first but now I am wondering if I should look for a vintage step cut.

Give me some opinions on which way to go and what I should consider when deciding, thanks!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that’s a tough choice. Both gorgeous if it’s a beautiful stone. Which do you see yourself wearing more? Since I already have an OEC if this were my dilemma I’d go with vintage step cut. If it was a beautiful to me stone

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that’s a tough choice. Both gorgeous if it’s a beautiful stone. Which do you see yourself wearing more? Since I already have an OEC if this were my dilemma I’d go with vintage step cut. If it was a beautiful to me stone

Thank you for your opinion Missy, you've got excellent taste so I am glad to hear your thoughts. I wear a transitional now which I am not planning to let go of so that is what made me think maybe I should consider step cut. I am between an old mine that is more cushion shaped or a step cut. I think with the step cut I feel like it is so hard to find a good one and I have no confidence that I know what to look for.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your opinion Missy, you've got excellent taste so I am glad to hear your thoughts. I wear a transitional now which I am not planning to let go of so that is what made me think maybe I should consider step cut. I am between an old mine that is more cushion shaped or a step cut. I think with the step cut I feel like it is so hard to find a good one and I have no confidence that I know what to look for.
Thank you ♥️
Agree with you. It comes down to the specific stone. Good luck!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something to know about step cuts is they do not hide dirt or even water spots. An old mine cut or old european will be a lot more forgiving.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we see pics of the types of cuts you're considering?

newdiamondworld

Shiny_Rock
I’d consider a step cut as well if I already had an OEC/transitional.

There’s an interesting antique step cut stone on Jewels by Grace. The setting is not the best, in my opinion, but the stone could be very pretty. I’d ask for more pictures. I think their current pictures are at a weird angle, which is not flattering to any stone… the diamond is clearly an antique

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Can we see pics of the types of cuts you're considering?

I don't have any pictures, sorry! Just general old mines or vintage asschers/emerald cuts

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I’d consider a step cut as well if I already had an OEC/transitional.

There’s an interesting antique step cut stone on Jewels by Grace. The setting is not the best, in my opinion, but the stone could be very pretty. I’d ask for more pictures. I think their current pictures are at a weird angle, which is not flattering to any stone… the diamond is clearly an antique

She did suggest this one to me, I just didn't like the way it was set and was trying to avoid paying for a setting if it wasn't one I wanted long term. Thanks for the suggestion!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Can you go try several on? The research is so fun!

About what face up are you looking at?

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Can you go try several on? The research is so fun!

About what face up are you looking at?

Unfortunately I don't really have anywhere to go see old cuts in person, I wish I did. I am looking around the 2ct range for an old mine, the only step cuts that I have seen that I am interested in are a little smaller than 2ct though. So somewhere around 1.5-2ct.

My transitional is 2.34 and measures 8.75, it's a bit bigger than what I think I want this time around.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
She did suggest this one to me, I just didn't like the way it was set and was trying to avoid paying for a setting if it wasn't one I wanted long term. Thanks for the suggestion!

Different topic - WHY do Grace’s links never work? I wonder how her website is set up that this always happens!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately I don't really have anywhere to go see old cuts in person, I wish I did. I am looking around the 2ct range for an old mine, the only step cuts that I have seen that I am interested in are a little smaller than 2ct though. So somewhere around 1.5-2ct.

My transitional is 2.34 and measures 8.75, it's a bit bigger than what I think I want this time around.

Are you close to any big city? What's your timeframe?

I honestly think the best thing to do is to order some approximate czs testers to see how to you like the different shapes on your finger.

I wish I had done that before I bought my omc cut white zircon. I ended up selling it for a loss once I figured out that I really wanted a round oec.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Are you close to any big city? What's your timeframe?

I honestly think the best thing to do is to order some approximate czs testers to see how to you like the different shapes on your finger.

I wish I had done that before I bought my omc cut white zircon. I ended up selling it for a loss once I figured out that I really wanted a round oec.

The big antique and estate jeweler near me has had less and less real antique stuff over the years they used to have more but I don’t find much now. An oec is the only think I know I don’t want since I think it’s too close to my transitional. I just stumbled on my transitional by accident and it’s so perfect, I’m just concerned that won’t happen again and I’ll make a bad choice this time lol. I don’t really have a time frame.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Different topic - WHY do Grace’s links never work? I wonder how her website is set up that this always happens!

Not sure about that but I noticed it too. I just recognized that one in the thumbnail in the post because Grace had emailed me a link to that particular stone.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
I have an old mine coming for me to see! Can't wait to see if it works out

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Looks beautiful @mustangchi!! Excited for you!

Thank you! I can't wait to see the first drawings/models for the setting but I don't want to rush the process as I am not someone who typically resets once I have done it so I want it to be right. Just going to wait patiently. Nowhere near the two week club right now!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Just updating thread with a picture of the step cut stone. Patiently waiting on models for the custom setting
IMG_0473.png

Wowwee! What a gorgeous stone! So looking forward to seeing this in its final home!

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Wowwee! What a gorgeous stone! So looking forward to seeing this in its final home!

Thank you me too! Hopefully in the next couple of months! Setting is in process just don't want to share the inspiration pictures as it's a vintage ring that belonged to the vendor.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh I was hoping this would be a step cut! They seem to have been bumped off-stage by the old and new-old round cuts.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loooooooooove this so much

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results