shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Cut Lovers...... please sign in!

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Oh MY! I''ve been gone for a few weeks and came back to this lovely thread. I just love the old cuts. I voted for an OEC, but I love them all, and hope to have a nice collection of them some day. Here are a couple pictures of the half carat OEC I got a couple months ago off eBay. The pictures don''t do it justice. Compared to the others on this thread, it''s pretty lame, but I still love it!
30.gif
It flashes big chunks of fire everywhere. Still trying to decide what kind of setting to put it in. The original setting is about a size 4, and I wear a 7...and it''s so thin on the bottom, resizing isn''t an option. It has a kind of checkerboard look to it.

flowerladyoec-a.jpg

flowerladytoo

Shiny_Rock
Here''s the side view. I love how *poofy* it is on top LOL.
18.gif

flowerladyoec sideb.jpg

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
OMG i missed this thread
23.gif

I LOve old cuts!
30.gif
I Love erica D''s lovely''s... and everyone elses!

here is one of mine-- my e-ring-- it''s not huge but it was my great grandmothers.. and my grandmother and mother wore it...and It sparkles like crazy.-- someday I will upgrade to another OEC

and here is my wedding band-- with lill oecs.
you can see an open cutlet on one of the diamonds in the band in this shot.

I was bad... and took these at work for fun--- so they are very dirty
20.gif

anywho-
I have some others I need to add now that I found this thread.
1.gif
( a couple trannies.... and a few more Oecs)

blinkydolleringweband2a.jpg

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
gosh that was small--- fixing---
you can see the small crown

blinkydolleringweband3A.jpg

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Tran-- its in a necklace now

29tranHBLINKYDOLL.jpg

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
these r old pics-- this is the same as the previous

Tran28blinkydoll.jpg

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
This is an OMC --also in a necklace now--- the same necklace as the previous stones

oecs43Blinkydoll.jpg

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
check out the star on the crown

oecsSTARBLINKy.jpg

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
they really do sparkle
i apologize for the poor quality photos
15.gif

Tran2blinky.jpg

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
Last one for now--- I soo need to get to bed-- I have to be up by 6am
15.gif

39TranLBlinkydolla.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Blinky..... I LOVE the mounting for your great-grandmother''s ring! Beautiful detail!!!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Yay for more gorgeous stones!
36.gif

I have a question about these older stones. How big of a stone does it need to be to really notice the difference in cut from a modern round brilliant? I''d love to have a nice and chunky OEC or antique cushion, but there''s no way I could spend much on it. Good for me I LOVE the lower colors and I wouldn''t be too too picky on clarity, but how big would it need to be to see the difference. I''ve seen many affordable options on oldworlddiamonds, but of course the affordable ones (for me anytime soon) are the smaller ones. Anyone have an opinion on this? I don''t need a big rock, but I would like one large enough to enjoy the chunkier facets and maybe an open cutlet.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What I''ve been told is that the larger it is, the difference is greater. I''ve been told to get something at least 0.5ct up and upwards when I was shopping for mine.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Wow, these are all beautiful. Love this thread!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My transitional stone that I insist on calling an OEC.
9.gif

oecwannabe.jpg

Reactions: prs

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here it is set. I love the side profile showing the high crown, despite it being sort of hidden by the bezel setting.

questset1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Top down view. Too bad the picture is devoid of any fire. This stone is a dazzler and I''ve always received compliments whenever I wear it out.

questset2.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 2:06:13 PM
Author: Chrono
Top down view. Too bad the picture is devoid of any fire. This stone is a dazzler and I''ve always received compliments whenever I wear it out.
Chrono, that is simply BREATHTAKING!

Of course, I''m jealous.....LOL
11.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/19/2009 1:19:37 PM
Author: Chrono
What I''ve been told is that the larger it is, the difference is greater. I''ve been told to get something at least 0.5ct up and upwards when I was shopping for mine.
Thanks Chrono! I figured the bigger the better, but if I could see it at .5, that would be great!

Your stone is just gorgeous! Might I ask what the specs are?

ociopia

Rough_Rock
Exquisite. Really gorgeous setting. Wow.

ociopia

Rough_Rock
Chrono - just gorgeous.

ociopia

Rough_Rock
Here are photos of a necklace I just received. All these diamonds were loose and inherited by my 92 year old mother-in-law to be from her mother, whose father bought them. They are all OMC. They have been reset into a 7 diamond necklace and then there''s a separate 3 diamond "piece," which is broken up from a pendant.

I haven''t yet had them appraised. I know the necklace is 1.65 tcw. I''m struggling to do photos. Very challenging, as always, but you can get a bit of an idea.

Here''s the necklace. It doesn''t wear well, which is a shame as it is gorgeous. Very elegant and simple. But the chain doesn''t work or the links aren''t right - anyway, the diamonds "roll," and rarely are all seven visible at one time when I wear it.

0050.JPG

ociopia

Rough_Rock
Here''s another shot of the necklace. If the sun should ever shine, I''ll try more.

0046.JPG

ociopia

Rough_Rock
And here is the little 3-stone "pin," which I will have to do something with. I''ll have to do something about the necklace too, but as of yet, I don''t know what.

Okay. Life is very peculiar. At the end of November, I got my OEC/OMC engagement ring. It is now the beginning of January and I have a pair of OEC stud earrings and now this lovely necklace and this pin, all of which are OMC.

I had no old diamonds - really no diamonds - and now I have a bounty. Good fortune is smiling.
emteeth.gif

0041.JPG

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable, do you mind telling us about your earrings? Did you find the stones and match they yourself? I''m trying to match two for a ring idea I have, but can''t seem to find matches. How do you do it?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/any-suggestions-on-reproducing-this-earring.103520/

Here''s the link to a thread I started about them. I''ve been scouring pawn shops and ebay for old or broken pieces that have omcs set into them. I''m still working on getting the right stones to match. I don''t want bigger or grander than the original earring has. They seem to work perfectly that size. I don''t know who I''ll have reproduce them. Ari at Singlestone would probably be the best, but I''m a little intimidated by asking such a master to make such a simple repro.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/19/2009 7:28:25 PM
Author: Upgradable
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/any-suggestions-on-reproducing-this-earring.103520/

Here''s the link to a thread I started about them. I''ve been scouring pawn shops and ebay for old or broken pieces that have omcs set into them. I''m still working on getting the right stones to match. I don''t want bigger or grander than the original earring has. They seem to work perfectly that size. I don''t know who I''ll have reproduce them. Ari at Singlestone would probably be the best, but I''m a little intimidated by asking such a master to make such a simple repro.
Those are pretty and must be hard to match. I was specially talking about the transitional earrings. I have a transitional cut that I’m finding hard to match. I wish we had proper pawn shops here. You must have an incredible amount of patience, I guess that’s the real key.

Ari would do a great job on the earrings. Sometimes simple things are the hardest to pull off.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Those stones were bought individually, at different times from the same vendor: Diamond Delights. Michael still had images of the first stone so he gave me a good idea that the second one was a match. That was helpful!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Alj, Kellli and Ociopia.

Kelli, here''s the stats:
0.88 ct J VS1
6.15 mm diameter
T 54%, D 63%
Crown height 18%
C 17.9%, P 41.2%
Large culet
Medium girdle
Good Polish and Good Symmetry

Ociopia, your inherited necklace is so beautiful. The design is classic and timeless.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Chrono!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results