Old Cut Lovers...... please sign in!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 11:55:25 AM
Author: John Pollard
Date: 1/15/2009 11:24:55 AM

Author: Al Gilbertson

Coati-

Table size would indicate probably after 1903 and the short lower half length indicates prior to 1945. They could have been cut in the US or Europe. There were cutting factories in both locations cutting this style with these proportions.

Al Gilbertson

Hey, I have a great book - the most complete I''ve seen on cut evolution during that period - which tends to agree.

Nice to see you here Al.
21.gif

Thank you John. *ordering it*
1.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 8:26:55 AM
Author: Allison D.
It''s a much different look than RBs - much more striking spectrum colors

Lovely shots!

My transitionals display such vibrant and well, insane, spectral colors. I''m so enamored with these cuts!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 9:14:44 AM
Author: Ellen
Gosh there''s some really beautiful pieces/stones in here!
30.gif

I''ll throw in my early inheritance gift, my moms highschool graduation present. It''s an OMC with what I believe are single cut melee. I''d love to find an OEC someday, I just love their look.

Linky (pics throughout)

OMC3965.JPG

*sigh*

I love this ring!
30.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Here are some fire shots I took of the transitional 3 stone. Afternoon sunlight.

3stonetransitionalfire1.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
I posted these in the fire thread as well.

These stones are an excellent balance of brilliance and fire. The crown angles and the pavillion angles make for an interesting combo.

I estimate the crown angles to be about 30ish degrees and the pavillion angles around 40.8ish--just visually. They act like ideal cuts, but with chunky facets. They amaze me.

3stonetransitionalfire3.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Hey, we got stickied!!!

parkiejewell

Rough_Rock
Holy cow! I''ve died and gone to diamond heaven! What gorgeous pieces everyone! I have to say though, Ericad, that has got to be the most gorgeous ring I''ve ever seen. Stunning. Just stunning!

I voted omc but I love the rose cuts, oecs and transitionals as well. So far, my collection consists of three small omcs that pale in comparison to the beauties here!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
This does it. I''m on my mum''s case to send my grandmother''s earrings to me.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 10:45:52 PM
Author: Harriet
Yes, yes!! We''ve seen lots of lovely rings, but let''s see some other pieces of jewelry!!!!

Start a petition, Harriet. I''ll bet we''d give you LOTS of signatures!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/14/2009 3:07:38 PM
Author: oldminer
Here is a chart of parameters to help understand how to screen for better cut older cut style diamonds. Of course, you must look with your own eyes to be certain of how you perceive beauty, but you can spend a lot less time in doubt if you know what to dismiss quickly from the selection process. That big 3.54 is a stunner!!!!

You can 'save' the image to your 'my photos' and open it with your own photo program to make it larger and more readable. It is near the limit of what can be uploaded to Pricescope.

With all do respect Dave my research does not agree with your chart.
The brightest and most fire potential oec combo I have found falls mostly in the good range on that chart and some of the possible excellent combos are sub-par for the potential of the cut.
So far I have about 100 hours of research into the cut.

Here is a more readable version of the chart.

1Chart5revised1-09.jpg

Vix

Shiny_Rock
I really shouldn''t open this thread without an oxygen tank handy!

Bad enough I am envious of the gorgeous stones, you expert photo-takers are killin'' me! I''m so glad to see the fire these older cuts shoot off captured, though, so I''ll forgive you.

Not that it really matters with stones as gorgeous as Coati''s, but since I am *trying* to learn I have a question about why you guys are calling the stones Transitional vs European [note, "just plain" European, not OEC] so if anyone can explain more....

Al Gilbertson said this about Coati''s stones:

Author: Al Gilbertson

Coati-

Table size would indicate probably after 1903 and the short lower half length indicates prior to 1945. They could have been cut in the US or Europe. There were cutting factories in both locations cutting this style with these proportions.

And he''s also stated the below (my bold):

With the saw, saving weight was best done with large tables and shallow crowns. Europeans were still all over the place with proportions (For example, some Germans called diamonds with high crown angles ideal cut). However, the European cut should be typified with short lower half facets; longer ones came into vogue in the 1940''s and a the primary separation. Some of the European Cuts were cut with no culets, but most were cut with larger culets.

So wouldn''t that indicate Coati''s stones are most likely Euro Cut?

Signed, Confused but Dazzled
30.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Vix, according to the definitions Mr. Gilbertsons uses, yes. He has stated that he dislikes the term transitional to descibe stones. However, it is commonly used by jewelers and consumers alike, to describe a stone that has exceptional symmetry, larger table, smaller/no culet. I guess it really depends on what lexicon you prefer to use.

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Ah, ok, I didn''t know he wasn''t fond of the "transitional" term and was going off his statement that Transitional

generally describes a cutting style where the crown and pavilion angles are in the range associated with the modern brilliant, the table size varies from 40 to 60% (depends on who is using the term), but the lower halves are still short. The culet can be non-existent or somewhat large (again, it depends on who is using the term).

I admit that despite trying to learn about specs over the last few years I am *totally* lost when it comes to eyeballing C&P angles and judging table size at such a granular level! If one doesn''t have specs on an older stone, is there a good way to estimate a table size percentage? [Besides posting good pics on PS, of course!
31.gif
]

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 10:00:39 AM
Author: Upgradable

Yes, yes!! We''ve seen lots of lovely rings, but let''s see some other pieces of jewelry!!!!

A petition with dozens of my internet acquaintances signatures? My mum will definitely not send the earrings.
9.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 3:46:43 PM

Date: 1/17/2009 10:00:39 AM
Author: Upgradable

A petition with dozens of my internet acquaintances signatures? My mum will definitely not send the earrings.
9.gif
What???? We lack credablility just because we''re Virtual????

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha. My mum said to never speak to strangers.
9.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
OK, I''ll add to the antique diamond **** here.
9.gif
The best pics, after looking at all of mine, of my 3.55ct OEC are the ones the seller had on the ebay auction; mine are all linty!

c2ed_12.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Another. 3.55ct M colored VS2. Probably an early-ish OEC, it has a very small table and a largish culet.

c18e_12.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
One more.

c562_12.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Last one.

c695_1.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
LGK, WoWeee!
30.gif

Now I understand why you couldn''t resist when you saw that auction, lol - its nice to see an ebay vendor supplying decent pics for once .

That stone really is a stunner!

ociopia

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous. OMG. Just gorgeous. Have you guys noticed how many OEC''s are M in color? That, too, fascinates me, as mine is.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/16/2009 2:48:13 PM
Author: coatimundi

Date: 1/16/2009 9:14:44 AM
Author: Ellen
Gosh there's some really beautiful pieces/stones in here!
30.gif

I'll throw in my early inheritance gift, my moms highschool graduation present. It's an OMC with what I believe are single cut melee. I'd love to find an OEC someday, I just love their look.

Linky (pics throughout)

OMC3965.JPG

*sigh*

I love this ring!
30.gif
Thank you miss! Me too.
5.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 1:36:56 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
OK, I''ll add to the antique diamond **** here.
9.gif
The best pics, after looking at all of mine, of my 3.55ct OEC are the ones the seller had on the ebay auction; mine are all linty!

You mean you actually own this 3.55 OEC beauty??? WOW!!!
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif

Congrats on a wonderful find! I bet you can''t keep your eyes off this ring.
18.gif

Bring on the pics, lint and all.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 1:39:48 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
Again.

6.gif
23.gif
30.gif
36.gif

WHOA! I could gaze on it all day!