shape
carat
color
clarity

Any suggestions on reproducing this earring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I have this very pretty vintage single omc diamond dangle earring and I''d like to get a match made. I don''t really like the lever-back that it currently has as it is not very comfortable. It would be better with a post from the top diamond. But the rest of the look I love! And the size is perfect for my ears.

I can probably find comparable diamonds, but does anyone have any experience or recommendation on a jeweler to remake a matching mate?

omcsingleearring.JPG

LGK

Ideal_Rock
SS does come to mind... Greenlake Jewelers would be another possibility. Wonder if Erica or Grace would have any leads? They''ve had some vintage settings repro-ed recently.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you tried Wink? I''ve never had him match anything, but I think you''ve used and had good work from his bench before, right?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is very pretty! But I''d worry about a brand new one looking right with an obviously antique setting. Maybe they''d distress the new one to make it look older or something?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I think I''d have them remake both, but as close to this style (with a post instead of the hinge back) as possible.

Any other suggestions?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know the name of these claw type settings? They seem to be quite common in vintage pieces, but I can''t find any reproductions of them that come anywhere close!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I think those settings might be called something like "buttercup"?

If you want the earrings to match exactly, you''ll have to get someone to replicate the old setting and distress it, or start from scratch and reset the diamonds from the original earring. Either way, it probably won''t be cheap.

What about looking for a single earring of similar size, shape and weight from a different set to wear it with? Am I the only person in the world who likes to wear mismatched earrings?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been searching, believe me! All of the buttercup findings I''ve found are much more "petally" than clawlike. I''m sure I''m going to have to have the pair remade.

I did come across this picture posted by Mara in the gallery. Oh, what I wouldn''t give to have these beauties!!

original.aspx

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nice earrings!
Going by the photo, I''d say changing the leverback to a post should be quite simple.

The suggestion about re-making both might be a good one if you are extremely particular about your earrings matching exactly. If that''s not the case, and you send the old earring, it should be possible to make a very close match for a competent jeweler. Unlikely to match exactly but close should be not all that hard.
We have done similar jobs on many occasions.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was also going to suggest singlestone!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This isn''t helpful, I know, but your earring reminds me of my second favorite pair of $5 Victorian gold earrings--I couldn''t believe the guy at the flea market sold these to me for $5!! They''re not diamonds, but I''m pretty sure they''re at least 14K. (Not the ear wires, which I added.) The stones are set in the same style not-quite-buttercup setting. I wish I''d taken pictures from the side. Let me know if you''d like me to.

edwardianpasteearrings1.JPG

Here''s an example of a more classic buttercup setting (again, not a diamond):

tinypinAside1.JPG

More pictures on this thread:

old phonies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results