color
clarity

Old Cut Lovers...... please sign in!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2010 6:14:03 PM
Author: coatimundi
Picking up pastels...

Goodness Coati. That is one stunning diamond. I''m not really sure what else to say besides that, as it has me virtually speechless.

I, too, am curious about who made the ring! I concur with dreamer that it looks a little like Caleb Meyer with the bezel, but I haven''t seen something that heavy in his case before.

Whatever happened to your old JM ring? Do you still have it?

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/13/2010 9:22:30 PM
Author: bright ice
Coati

If you don't mind me asking, what are the specs on your stone? What I mean is table, depth, crown%, pavillion%, etc.

It is STUNNING!

I have been looking at OECs and would love to know what to look for to help eliminate.

Thanks about the stone!

I'm afraid I have a rather unorthodox way of selecting old cuts. ;-)

This stone is not certified and I did not pop it in the sarin to get the specs. I buy old cuts with my eyes, and I look for:

1. Interesting pattern and scintillation (movement)
2. Intense fire
3. High (pillowy) crown - with corresponding pavilion angle (not by number-visual assessment)
4. Small table
5. Liveliness/brilliance

My stone is on the deep side. It measures 9mm, which is small for its weight. I consider this required depth for the overall design.

I recommend you visit a dealer who carries a number of old cuts. Look for what pleases your eye. Pattern, brilliance, fire, movement, and life are good things to assess, but there are no hard-and-fast rules for old cuts. For me, it's more of an art than a science.

hth

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/12/2010 12:57:39 AM
Author: Hest88
Oh Coati...just...wow! It''s stunning!

Thank you Hest!
I was looking at pics of your demantoid ring the other day, and swoon!
30.gif

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/12/2010 1:09:45 AM
Author: arjunajane
Date: 6/11/2010 4:20:30 PM

Nice to see this thread revisited. Beautiful stones everyone!

Dreamer-asked to see my new-ish ring-here ''tis.

Old European Cut-just under 3 carats-in a heavy 18k mount.

Missy,

you already know how I feel about this stunner, diamond and setting.

Long live the chunk!

And you''re lucky I am po-or or else I would be a copy cat
9.gif

This one deserves two weirdo kisses!
13.gif
13.gif

he he

13.gif

Thanks for the weirdo kisses! haha
Well, go ahead and copy when you''re ready-you know I don''t mind..
9.gif

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/11/2010 11:38:44 PM
Author: stci
Coatimundi!!!!!! OMG! I can't find the good words...

Incredible, fantastic, splendid, amazing, gorgeous, beautiful.... none of these words are enough!

Awwwwwww! It's a beauty! And your picture are soooo beautiful!

Your diamond seem really white but I suspect you have found the most incredible L or M OEC in this world.

Anyway... it's delicious to see your ring! Congrats Sweety!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

Thank you Sylvie! You are very kind-I appreciate your comments. :)
You have a beautiful rings!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/11/2010 10:18:40 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Good lord Coati, that is the most amazing ring and diamond! I am so loving the chunky facets and the chunky setting. Who made the setting for you? Are you allowed to say?? It looks like a CM design... Can I see a profile shot?

Thanks dreamer!
Nah not a CM. Just something I concocted based on several pieces from ancient to contemporary. A jeweler executed the design for me, and I was very pleased. I'm fond of a double bezel-and of rounds in cushion shaped bezels. I've gone gold as well...and heavy. Once you get used to a big ring, there is no return! haha

Thanks Clairitek-
I still have my JM-I won't part with that one. A good friend of mine calls it the O.G. PS JM-hehe

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/14/2010 3:07:49 PM
Author: Lurchie
Coati, that ring is a SHOW STOPPER! I hope you''ll consider starting a separate thread in SMTR. The stone is gorgeous and that setting is inspired, IMHO.

Thank you Lurchie!
Appreciate your kind words. :)

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/11/2010 3:24:29 PM
Author: ludmila.k
.75ct center modern diamond (G colour) and rose cut all around. Band with old european cut diamonds I think (.5tkw)

Both antique platinum and gold (18k:french gold quite pure) setting but a new diamond for the ering...

Beautiful and unique set! I love it!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um. WOW Coati!!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks MTG!
35.gif

ludmila.k

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/15/2010 3:31:56 PM

Date: 6/11/2010 3:24:29 PM
Author: ludmila.k
.75ct center modern diamond (G colour) and rose cut all around. Band with old european cut diamonds I think (.5tkw)

Both antique platinum and gold (18k:french gold quite pure) setting but a new diamond for the ering...

Beautiful and unique set! I love it!
WOW thank you...I''m surprised!!!! You have a wonderfull ring and you like mine
4.gif
I''m proud
5.gif

Thanks again
30.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ludmila, I just ADORE your rings, they are all beautiful... but that Ering is truly SPECTACULAR
18.gif
You have exquisite taste my dear!!
30.gif

Coati, just... well... YUMMY!! There are no words for that beauty!! It''s just amazing!!!!
30.gif
36.gif
30.gif
I love love love the setting too, it''s looks beautifully made, great design!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Goodness, that is a gorgeous stone Coati!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I love the chunky 18k setting, too
5.gif

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
Re:

yssie said:
Goodness, that is a gorgeous stone Coati!!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

I love the chunky 18k setting, too
5.gif

Ditto to everything Yssie said! The stone and setting are :love: :love: :love: . Well done in tracking that beauty down Coati!

parkiejewell

Rough_Rock
Well, Coati's A.Mazing ring sure is a tough act to follow, but I'll post pics of my "new" OMC...It's 2.02 ct +/- (we're having it re-evaluated by our jeweler) but regardless, I love the cut and color and now DH is having it re-set as a 'surprise' (I hate waiting for surprises like this!!).

2.02a.jpg

parkiejewell

Rough_Rock
We also have two brown-ish OMCs (1.53 ctw) that may be integrated into the reset of the 2.02 in a 3-stone ring....

any ideas of three stone settings are greatly appreciated!!

1.53 pair.jpg

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
All diamonds you shown are beautiful!
I would suggest you put the center stone of the ring and the pair stones next to each other to be sure they are close enough in color. Sometimes the warmth in diamond is emphasized if you contrast it by setting it with a whiter stone.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
nice chunkie old stones parkie!
I agree it would be best to see all 3 stones together, but I'm thinking you could make it work also by accentuating the difference between the centre and the 'cape' diamonds..

Can you give us some idea of your tastes and than we can post pics for potential settings? (ie. do you want to stick with vintage, if so what period, or modern styling, any fave jewellers etc).

parkiejewell

Rough_Rock
We went to visit the stones at our jeweler last week and we think they'll look nice together. I love the look of the James Meyer settings, but I also like antiquey filligree settings as well, so I'm torn. I've searched and searched for the perfect 3-stone setting but maybe we'll just come up with something unique on our own.

edited to add:
Here's something similar to what I'm thinking. I found it on google (Lang Antiques) while searching antique three stone settings. I really like the bezel set stones and the filligree but I think I'd rather have an open side gallery to be able to see the sides of the stones better. Also, I probably won't do any melee along the sides/shank of the ring.

langa_saph1.jpg

parkiejewell

Rough_Rock
A few more views of that setting...

lanasaph2.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
It's always risky to place an OMC in a bezel setting cause OMC are not perfectly round.

I think there is no problem with smaller diamonds but for the big beautiful colorless, I have doubt. It's not beautiful when you see a bezel ring who follow the inegal lines of the stone. Would like to show you what I mean cause my bad english surely don't help you to understand. :rodent: I'm gonna search and come back to you...

stci

Ideal_Rock
Here is pics of what I mean. Be sure to find the best goldsmith if you want beautiful bezel.

!BeLk08QB2k~$(KGrHqYOKk!Eq5dW7MetBK8LfjyEEQ~~_12.jpg

bezel2.jpg

parkiejewell

Rough_Rock
I see what you mean Stci. That first bezel does absolutely nothing for that stone!

We have full confidence in our jeweler (am I allowed to post their name?...Just wanted to ask before I do). They've been in business for over 40 years and do lots of custom work. They designed my ER and DH has had several other pieces made for me by them. When we went to visit the stones, we made sure to ask their opinion on the bezel setting them and they said it would be fine. The center stone has nice dimensions and a uniform girdle. The side stones were the ones I was worried about but they examined them and said it shouldn't be a problem.

parkiejewell

Rough_Rock
zhuzhu: I've been thinking about your post and I think you're right on! Maybe we could incorporate a few tiny whites to help accentuate the wamer tones of the center and the brown-ish sides. Maybe four little ones at the junctions of the three main stones? I'll look around for some similar...

Off to do my favorite hobby...searching for old diamond rings online :)

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about using the bags on the original setting to make "shoulder" for your new ring? If you don't insist on making a 3-stone ring, maybe the pair can become a beautiful earrings? Please post pic of the ring as is! I actually really like the setting and would love to see it on you!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re:

coatimundi said:

OK I am late to this but coatimundi...WOW! That is STUNNING!!! Like the others said, please consider starting a separate thread with lots of pics...that ring is amazing!

MizNina

Shiny_Rock
WOW WOW WOW this is by far my favourite ring on Pricescope Coati :love: So very unique and stunningly beautiful. I've not seen such a beautiful mix of an old stone in a new setting and it is truly inspired. Speaking of inspired, did you draw inspiration from your gorgeous Cartier watch? The two would look stunning together.

Please please may we have some more shots? I would love to see the profile and the back of the ring.

Nina

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dreamer-here's the 3 stone with a brushed 24k band.

"Transitional" cuts-these stones are posted earlier in this thread. Some fire pics on page 7. I prefer three stone rings with the stones all close in size, with just a slight graduation.

bezel3stoneband.jpg

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
MizNina said:
WOW WOW WOW this is by far my favourite ring on Pricescope Coati :love: So very unique and stunningly beautiful. I've not seen such a beautiful mix of an old stone in a new setting and it is truly inspired. Speaking of inspired, did you draw inspiration from your gorgeous Cartier watch? The two would look stunning together.

Please please may we have some more shots? I would love to see the profile and the back of the ring.

Nina

Thank you! I drew inspiration from several bezels that I've loved for awhile. Thanks about the watch-I like them together-yep.
I'll try to take some shots later. :))

Thanks for the kind words slg47, softly softly, Dandi, and Yssie!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results