shape
carat
color
clarity

No MWM ring for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I don''t think you''re a nit picky freak, either, Gypsy. It was an unfortunate choice of words, but it shouldn''t have been fatal.
33.gif

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, I don't think your powerpoint was made to be offensive, and I think it just showed that you are detailed (as you have to be with contracts! I would definitely want a detailed person to write a contract for me as opposed to someone who wasn't being thorough) - I think it is really about him, not you - it isn't like you called him bad names or anything!

If anything, if you hadn't made your preferences known, then he would have to make assumptions, and if he made assumptions, then there is a chance they could be wrong, and then you could end up unhappy with the result. I think you just need to find someone who appreciates that you are upfront and honest about what you desire, instead of cagey and then mad that the designer couldn't read your mind with the finished product!

ETA: and as far as 'nitpicky' - I would never have chosen that word to describe you

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know - one of the things in my presentation was what I learned from you and Mara at JE about polishing the area the melee is going to be in - and because of lumpkin''s situation I took it to (I can get the exact wording in a minute) include polishing the drill holes as well as possible and cleaning it out. Now.... maybe it is overkill.... and maybe it''s an important detail... maybe the jeweler is insulted because you assume they wouldn''t do it on their own and maybe a jeweler has never thought to do any of that....

How can any of us know what our jewelers will and will not know or do - we learned from Dee Jay''s situation that even the most expensive jewelers sometimes need basic things spelled out to them like MAKE THE HOLE FIT THE STONE. Well if she''d spelled it out to him would he have had a hissy fit and said I''m not stupid and because you said that I can''t work with you?

Where exactly is the line between saying too much and not saying enough?

Frankly I''d rather err on the side of saying too much and any jeweler that resented me for that isn''t one I''d wish to work with.

You did nothing wrong - even in the ''worst'' of what you said.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly it was a couple of the responses in this post that had me seeing red: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/heirloom-quality-settings.57592/

The implication that I need the setting to vbe flawless and perfect at FIVE magnification was what did it. I really won''t know what to do with something that perfect, except put it on display and never wear for fear of a scratch...lol.

The drive home calmed me down considerably... sorry for breathing fire.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 9:18:19 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
You know - one of the things in my presentation was what I learned from you and Mara at JE about polishing the area the melee is going to be in - and because of lumpkin''s situation I took it to (I can get the exact wording in a minute) include polishing the drill holes as well as possible and cleaning it out. Now.... maybe it is overkill.... and maybe it''s an important detail... maybe the jeweler is insulted because you assume they wouldn''t do it on their own and maybe a jeweler has never thought to do any of that....

How can any of us know what our jewelers will and will not know or do - we learned from Dee Jay''s situation that even the most expensive jewelers sometimes need basic things spelled out to them like MAKE THE HOLE FIT THE STONE. Well if she''d spelled it out to him would he have had a hissy fit and said I''m not stupid and because you said that I can''t work with you?

Where exactly is the line between saying too much and not saying enough?

Frankly I''d rather err on the side of saying too much and any jeweler that resented me for that isn''t one I''d wish to work with.

You did nothing wrong - even in the ''worst'' of what you said.
ITA.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LMAO.

Okay the ''Make the hole fit the stone'' thing did finally get through to me.

Even I wouldn''t have thought that would be necessary to state. Poor Deejay.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy,
I am so sorry that it isn''t going to work out for you.
While I do agree that it seems illogical that someone would be turned off by a client who can state clearly the things that they want, I must say that he explained his position.
He has had bad experiences with clients with exact specifications, and he doesn''t wish to go down that round again.,

I respect the guy for making that choice, considering I am sure he would have made a good buck off of this, he values his stress level more in this case....lol

Gypsy,

^^^^ forgive my ignorance, but can you post a pic of your ring? I don''t think I have ever seen it.

I really hope you can find someone to make your dream ring for you..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Gypsy....I certainly have never thought of you as "nit-picky"!

I honestly think MM had sort of a "Pavlovian response" to your letter, and he almost admitted as much himself, referring to "a document not unlike yours", and "a switch was thrown in my thought process", etc etc. That former client of his must really have been awful.

I had a thought...maybe this is some sort of generational thing. Someone mentioned that he is a grandfather. Maybe like me (a grandmother), the whole concept of a "powerpoint presentation" is new and alien to him. (I''d never heard of it until recently on PS).

Anyhoo, While I certainly respect his right to turn down any job he wants, I honestly think he erred this time, and it is his loss.

Move on, Dear! Take a break, breath deeply and know that eventually you''ll have that gorgeous asscher mounted in the setting of your dreams!

widget

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 8:22:36 PM
Author: Gypsy
Please stop assuming that I''m this Nit picky freak. I REALLY do not appreciate it.
29.gif
Hi Gypsy. This double post came after my comments to you, so I will say it again - I am very sorry if I miscommunicated in any way.

I think it''s great you went the extra mile to do a Powerpoint presentation. It lessens the chances that you will be disappointed.

Good luck finding someone with whom you can communicate smoothly and well. Looking forward to pictures!
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2007 9:02:08 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 2/9/2007 8:22:36 PM

Author: Gypsy

Please stop assuming that I'm this Nit picky freak. I REALLY do not appreciate it.
29.gif

I never thought that of you gypsy - in fact I think we aren't too far apart on this and I would be very upset in your shoes. I think your goals are realistic and I'm sure you will get your ring when the stars align and the universe sings <~ giggle just a little :)

I didn't think it of you either. Of course, I AM a Nit picky freak which is why I know I wouldn't be a good match with certain designers.

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy, I''m so sorry about your disappointment. I sometimes feel it would be better if a vendor just said they''re way too busy, rather than make an assumption of someone that could be so far off the truth and extremely hurtful. I don''t condone lying, but sometimes a little white lie is better for all concerned. MM has a wonderful reputation and a constant stream of work and can pick and choose his work, he''s very lucky in that respect. Unfortunately he felt uncomfortable.. not with you, but with the reminder of someone who had caused him problems. I feel for you because that''s not your fault.

As much as it is upsetting and galling, it''s time to move onwards and upwards.... you will end up with the perfect ring, you''ve just got to find the right person worthy of the job. GOOD LUCK, we hope to hear who it is very soon.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
*Bowing to everyone''s better wisdom*

I have, officially, moved on.

I promise.
2.gif

And this thread is closed as far as I''m concerned.

Thank you all.

Very much.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi gypsy honey,

Coming to this late - don''t know how I''ve missed this thread!

I''m sorry to hear about your experience with Mark. I clicked with him very well over the phone too, but before I contacted him, I did my research and got an idea of how he is like, and made sure I had a good idea of what I wanted before making contact. I basically wanted someone I know who does top notch quality pieces and not have to go through another painful custom process.

I basically said to him, ok here''s what I would like, can u see what u can do with it, take your time, cost is not important, and then i just let him do his work and checked in via email occasionally with his daughter katie. Because he is so busy, I tried not to ''badger'' him, so as to say. In the entire process, I only got 3 lots of pics from him prior to seeing the casting of the actual set. One was of a ring he was in the process of designing, the second lot was of the crown he designed for me, and the third was the revised crown after I told him I liked the second lot but it wasn''t what I envisioned, and I sent him a picture telling him what I would prefer, and asked his opinion on whether that would work.

At this point, the project almost did derailed, because he felt that he has designed something along the lines of what I asked for. He did, and I liked it, but did not LOVE it, so I appealed to his artistic sense, and asked him if he thinks the crown he designed will work with the rest of the fluid lines of the set.

I didn''t hear from him for awhile, and the next time I got an email from Mark Morrell, it was from Katie, sending me pics of the revised crown. It was stunning, and I told her so, and the next thing I know, the casting of the set were ready.

I guess my point is that, he is an artist, and I can see how certain requests will be a tad insulting, because he will always produce something to the best of his ability, and not pick and choose what ''quality'' he should produce in his pieces. I remember the exhibition quality vs saleable quality comment in earlier threads, and I''m sure you know that I didn''t quite agree with those sentiments. Just charge me for the best you can do, and not have a sliding scale on which to base the quality of your finished pieces, geez!
41.gif

If you really really want him to make your ring, speak to him. I''m sure it is just a misunderstanding which can be resolved if you would like to. I understand that it is his perogative to turn a project down, just as it is yours to decide not to go ahead. I suppose my rambling post is to let you know that my project wasn''t all smooth sailing, but my patience paid off bigtime and I now have a gorgeous (if i may say so myself) set which I am thrilled to bits with!

xoxo

jade.

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Ok I''ve caught up with all 4 pages, and now know you have moved on. I''m sure you''ll end up with something gorgeous!

I also want to add that as far as top commercial quality is concerned, as a ''fussy'' customer, I am completely satisfied with the quality of my set. In fact, I will go as far as to say I have not seen work of this quality prior to receiving my set. Good to know that I don''t need exhibition quality stuff eh
41.gif
31.gif
41.gif

(purely tongue in cheek, in case anyone takes offence
3.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results