shape
carat
color
clarity

New York

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was in NYC, I went to the diamonds district just to experience it. Lol, I might as well have had a big target circle on the back if my coat! One guy literally followed me out onto the street with his "deal of a lifetime". I ended up visiting Yekutiel and came home with a great souvenir. He is very honest and a true gem!

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Echo @rockysalamander's thoughts.

Also, not as well versed on cushion's so hoping others will confirm but I believe you want to be at 68% and less on depth. The Lauren B is 68.2. More concerning is it's hiding weight in the slightly to very thick girdle.
the IDG is 69 so that's a no go also?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For budget, sticking below 2 carat magic weight will yield the most bang for the buck. He won't be able to tell a size difference between 1.9x carats and 2.0x carats. It's just a mind thing. If he is okay rounding up, it will be helpful.

Also, does he know what kind/type of cushion he wants?

In this size, I'm thinking G+ and preference for very clean/rare SI1 or VS2+.

Cushion Brilliant | Cushion Brilliant | Cushion Modified Brilliant

Two-Categories-Modern-Modern-Cushion-Cut-Diamonds-300x89.jpg

Crushed Ice
Crushed-Ice-1.01-CARAT-H-VS1-CUSHION-CUT-DIAMOND-300x273.jpg

Chunky
Chunky-1.01-CARAT-H-VVS2-CUSHION-MODIFIED-CUT-DIAMOND-300x279.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Antique cuts are my fav.

1.72ct D VS2 @ $17,732
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...vs2-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-74427972

Out of budget but wowsa.

2.065ct K VS2 @ $12,265
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-avr2065kvs2

A little warmer, but eye clean and looks great.

1.81ct H SI1 @ $12,689
https://www.augustvintageinc.net/co...si1-august-vintage-cushion-brilliant-74154847

Seems like a potential good compromise on color and price. Hate that inclusion on the table, but depending on their sensitivity, maybe it's eye clean?

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Cushion cut diamonds are a bit deeper normally than rounds. They usually face up a bit smaller than rounds of same carat weight.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly. Which is why it’s best to focus on mm spread than actual carat weight with fancies.

I think @rockysalamander has a chart that shows finger coverage relative to carat weight and how each stone compares to each other.

FWIW I do really like cushions but prefer chunky and vintage. Too bad my fiancee didn't.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @rockysalamander has a chart that shows finger coverage relative to carat weight and how each stone compares to each other.

FWIW I do really like cushions but prefer chunky and vintage. Too bad my fiancee didn't.

I’m a Vintage/Antique Cushion lover, as well. The character & behavior are so different from modern Cushions. They are just so beautiful!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is probably the most helpful thread on PS re cushion cuts: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/

Cushion cuts are never the same, with the exception of some of the new H&A and newly cut “antique” branded cuts.

OP you have received and given some good advice to your son and I hope that he will listen to you and slow down the decision making process.

It is also important to understand what his intended desires. If she wants a modern cushion, then antique isn’t the way to go.

IDJ is a great vendor and they can absolutely source a great cushion at his price point.

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the replies guys. Just an update
He is no longer interested in the Lauren B stone. He was really stuck on the size but the posts here recommended that it was an inferior stone.

He’s going to deal with yeukatil. But he feels the 1.8 he saw today may be a little small so he wants to look at 1.9-2.0. He has a busy work schedule so he sent IDJ. An email mentioning he wanted pricescope quality and discount (he did not
Mention that earlier today). An eye clean stone with ASET images color. H. Clarity. VS2. I’m assuming they will send him a few then we can we can pick you guys brains to assess Btw. Thank you so much guys

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Thanks for all the replies guys. ... they will send him a few then we can we can pick you guys brains to assess Btw. Thank you so much guys

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is one of the great reasons PS exists... Can you imagine where this chap would be without his mother's knowledge of PS and the willingness of all the folks here to help out. This is one lucky guy! I'm sure he will end up with something great.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the replies guys. Just an update
He is no longer interested in the Lauren B stone. He was really stuck on the size but the posts here recommended that it was an inferior stone.

He’s going to deal with yeukatil. But he feels the 1.8 he saw today may be a little small so he wants to look at 1.9-2.0. He has a busy work schedule so he sent IDJ. An email mentioning he wanted pricescope quality and discount (he did not
Mention that earlier today). An eye clean stone with ASET images color. H. Clarity. VS2. I’m assuming they will send him a few then we can we can pick you guys brains to assess Btw. Thank you so much guys

Thank goodness! I'm really happy for him and his future fiance!

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry, late to the party........
OP, stated that her sons wants to explore NYC.
I have dealt with Chris at Brilliantly Engaged. I would recommend he call Chris and set up an appt.
Best of luck.

hobbitfancier55

Shiny_Rock
I agree with all the advice others have offered. It’s understandable your son is excited and wants to make a purchase, but patience will be a virtue in this case.

As others have said, he really needs to sit down with his fiancée to be and discuss what she wants. Have they gone and tried on rings before to get a basic idea of what she likes? She may have in her head that she wants xyz, but unless she’s tried it on in real life, she may find out her tastes are completely different when it’s actually on her finger.

I would also make sure your son finds a budget that works for him. Perhaps his SO is knowledgeable about diamonds and what she wants. But she also may not be and might not realize the type of budget a 2ct stone requires. For that matter she might be even happier with a 1ct or 1.5ct stone. $10k+ is a lot to spend on a ring. If he’s budgeted that much, then more power to him. But it may be possible to get her exactly what she wants, for less than that.

Depending on what kind of setting she wants, that could add a few thousand dollars.

You’re a good mom for checking in with this board though. If anyone can get the perfect ring for him, it’s Pricescope!

Q

Queenie60

Thanks all I think his budget comes from inexperience . he thought he would just wake up this morning go to lauren B jewelry and by a 2.5ct ring :) :) :)
just spoke with Him guess he went and spoke with yeuketil 1.8ct Grade: H VS2 that's all he remembered but he has a sheet with the rest of the dimensions.
Thank goodness. He's in good hands with Yekutiel.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
Does his 10k budget include the setting or is it just for the stone? Apologies if this has already been answered.

Matilda

Shiny_Rock
I like the one @Swirl68 suggested. I would try and get an ASET from vendor.

Here are a few with ASETs which I think may have potential:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamo...recarat&utm_medium=cpc#diamond=C201-649028657

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamo...n&wire_price_max=12190#diamond=C190-30Z4636Z3

Honestly though I do think Yekutiel is going to be the best thing for your son @cxr133. I am sure he will come up with good options. So perhaps it is best to wait until he comes back with a couple and then we can give opinions on that selection.

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has he thought about a round set in a cushion halo?

Excellent idea. All the sparkles of a round, plus the charm of the cushion.

Just one option of many.

Could solve multiple issues -- allows a smaller center stone and then choose a thicker halo to get same finger coverage of a 2+ carat ring to help keep his costs lower.

The halo on this particular ring is a little skinny but notice how the ring pinches, or tapers, into the stone? That small detail makes the center stone look bigger. A visual illusion of sorts.

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...antela-crown-diamond-engagement-ring-3023.htm

Tacori-2620RDP-Dantela-Crown-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum_gi_31881-075_3-30703.jpg

cxr133

Shiny_Rock
what do you guys think of this one. SCANOX.JPG

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/2.01-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-sku-6113034

here is the video. i think the 1.8 my son saw yesterday might be better?
my son is on call for the next 2-3 days so they reverted to having to discuss by email
Oh I like this one! Lovely modern cushion faceting.

By getting at the SI1 clarify level, you are bound to see more inclusions, but I bet that the stone will be eye clean in person.

It is much larger than the 1.8ct form yesterday, so if 2ct was the goal, this stone meets it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I like this one! Lovely modern cushion faceting.

By getting at the SI1 clarify level, you are bound to see more inclusions, but I bet that the stone will be eye clean in person.

It is much larger than the 1.8ct form yesterday, so if 2ct was the goal, this stone meets it.
Agreed! I like this one.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Is it really eye-clean? I'm not well-educated about cushions, but I love the look of it. It just seems like the crystal on the table could be noticeable? And maybe a good idea to ask about the additional clouds not shown?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results